[GUIDE] Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R 10.6.2 Snow Leopard (Empire EFI)

arsoneffect

33 posts in this topic

I am currently writing this guide via my 10.6 Snow Leopard installed via Empire EFi (link)

Trying to get my Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R system up and running 100% but there is no definitive guide for just *this* motherboard.

I will be using the post to amass all the information I find. This is my first Hackintosh build, so please feel free to comment and revise anything I post here.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (rev 1.6)

i7 920 @ 2.67ghz

8gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz DDR3 RAM

2x 8800GTS 640mb in SLI

2x 1TB Seagate

1x 1.5TB

2x 120GB Barracuda 7200rpm = Hardware RAID via Bios

Terms

SL = Snow Leopard

OOB = Out of Box

S/L/E = System/Library/Extensions

E/E = Extras/Extensions

Note:

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for the UD3R

Revision 1.0 http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherbo...?ProductID=2989

Revision 1.6 http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboa...?ProductID=3103

Initial Install Guide:

First:

Make sure you have only the following connected:

- 1 SATA Hard Drive = PORT 0

- 1 SATA DVD Drive = any port

- Only 1x GFX card in PCI-E Slot 1

Second:

Go into your BIOS at boot [DELETE] and set these values.

BIOS Settings:

CPU Enhanced Halt = [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor = [Disabled]

CPU EIST Function = [Disabled]

HDD Smart Capability = [Enabled]

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode = [ACHI]

Onboard SATA/IDE Device = [ACHI]

USB Keyboard Function = [Enabled]

USB Mouse Function = [Enabled]

HPET Mode = [64-bit Mode]

Boot Order =

[Hard Disk] *must be your drive you are installing SL to*

[CD-ROM Drive]

[uSB-HDD]

Third:

Download and burn a copy of Empire EFi http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/empire-efi-v-1-085-is-out/

*Latest v1.085 @ 1-07-10

Fourth:

Boot into the Empire EFi CD by pressing [F12] at boot.

Fifth:

Install from Retail Snow Leopard disc, on successful reboot, boot back into Empire EFi CD via [F12]

Sixth:

Go into the Post_Installation folder of the Empire EFi CD and view the README.

(Install myHack and remember to *select customize*)

Fixes:

*** = fix for my specific hardware

Tools for fixes:

- Kext Utility (updates permissions and rebuilds caches) Kext_Utility.app.zip

- Kext Helper (allows you to install new Kexts) Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

About This Mac:

- About Mac transform to show proper CPU AboutThisMac.pkg.zip

CPU:

- DSDT Patched file for Power Management, Proper speed readings, etc DSDT.aml.zip

LAN:

- Works OOB w/ Empire EFi

IE1394a:

- Have not tested

Video:

- 1x GeForce card works OOB w/ Empire EFi

- List of Graphic Cards and their GFX Strings w/ Tutorial http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?act...&thread=509

- ***2x 8800GTS 640mb NVinject.kext.zip

- Guide for Dual GFX Card support (triple & quad monitor setups) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=104266

Audio:

- VoodooHDA64 VoodooHDA_Pref.zip

- VoodooHDA-Helper Hide Console package get__rid__the_console_voodoohdahelper.zip

Updating to 10.6.2

- Read this guide: http://netkas.org/?p=315

Overclocking: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Warning: This should only be done if you have proper knowledge of overclocking and realize that you can POTENTIALLY FRY YOUR CPU if you DO IT WRONG.

BIOS Settings:

- Set DRAM to use [XMP]

- Core voltage: 1.336V

- CPU PLL: 1.88V

- QPI/VTT: 1.34V

- Dram Voltage: 1.6V

All power saving features and Intel Turbo Boost are disabled in BIOS.

Credits:

- DSDT File

If anyone is interested in helping me compile a package of the latest KEXT's for 10.6.2 that would be amazing!

Also, a 10.6 to 10.6.2 update script would help me and others with this board tremendously!

I am limited in my AppleScripting knowledge and it would probably take me longer than a seasoned developer.

Thank you so much for your guide. Looked all over for a guide to this particular Mobo and tried a couple of things designed for similar's, nothing worked out quite this well. Network card, Sound, video, all work great. I will try OC next.

OC'd the motherboard to 4.1Ghz and got a geek bench test at 11855. I am set now and thanks again. Going to do some research on how to get the second 260 to work, so when I switch over to the other side my games will be tad faster.

The OC guide i used is this one from this link it may help, it was very stable under Windows7 since June.

http://lakesidepc.com/Core.i7.920.oc....12.12_ENG.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
[/size]

Second:

Go into your BIOS at boot [DELETE] and set these values.

BIOS Settings:

CPU Enhanced Halt = [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor = [Disabled]

CPU EIST Function = [Disabled]

could you please explain why you recomend this 3 disablings ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi people! I neeeed help... I can't get snowleopard to install at all. I have the same mobo, EX58 UDr3, and I'm using the right BIOS settings along with the EFI boot CD. When I select my snowleopard install DVD and boot it (in any mode) I get an error : filesystem is read only, and the screens shuts down, then the machine is indefinitely frozen.... any ideas???

Hi people! I neeeed help... I can't get snowleopard to install at all. I have the same mobo, EX58 UDr3, and I'm using the right BIOS settings along with the EFI boot CD. When I select my snowleopard install DVD and boot it (in any mode) I get an error : filesystem is read only, and the screens shuts down, then the machine is indefinitely frozen.... any ideas???

Benew,

Just taking a stab here, what I did to make my hard drive seen is I attached it to another mac, and used Disk Utility and partitioned it, and under options make sure you pick the top one, GUID. Then I attach it in the system I was going to use. That might be it? We have the same motherboard and it should work just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this team for Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Retail: Core i7 920 / Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R / 6 GB DDR3 1333MHz / HD 4670 1GB GDDR3. This will be my first Mac Hack after 4 originals that have become obsolete.

First I chose the GA-EX58-UD5 but I decided to compare it with the GA-EX58-UD3R and save some money. I do not need 2 Ethernets, or 24 GB of RAM... I wonder who does NOT work because the machine is to work in graphic design (Adobe CS4) and video editing (Final Cut Pro) as for example the need to capture video miniDV Firewire working demo. It is also very important to stop, restart and turn off right. I have read that the sound would Stereo with VoodooHDA but while work is well.

Can you tell me what hardware or software does not work with the GA-EX58-UD3R?

I appreciate all that you can help me.

;)

Hi, i´m new on this adventure.

first of all, excellent and good explained guide.

My stuff:

GA-EX58-UD3R Mainboard

i7 920 Chip

2x 2Gb DDR3 1066mhz

Gigabyte 9400GT Video Card

Seagate 500gb SATA HD

I´ve got installed with Empire Efi the Snow Leopard on my Pc, but it recognize like a Mini-Mac (on "about this Mac"). but that´s ok for me, i´ve got Sound and Lan, everything goes perfect but, when i re-start it doesnt work, i click on re-start and the computer seems to restart but the screen continues black (the computer is runing but it doesn´t boot) i also can´t access to BIOS setup when i click on restart. It dies... then i have to press and hold the power-switch till 4 seconds, it hut down and i have to wait about 10 minutes to press again the power-switch button (if i try before, i have same problem).

Also i have problems when i modifify on SL the option to get in to sleep mode (Save Power)... it goes in power save but it doesn´t boot up again.

Have anyone same problem? My BIOS configuration is same that this guide, i don´t know what i can do... Maybe is a problem with kexts?

Please, i need some help, than you so much for your time and i´m sorry for my english (i know that is {censored}) hehehe....

Waiting News, regards from Canary Islands

Stormcall

I have this mobo. I was having all kinds of trouble getting it to work till I ditched the Radeon HD 4670. after that it started working for me, so make sure your graphics card is gonna work.

I thought this team for Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Retail: Core i7 920 / Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R / 6 GB DDR3 1333MHz / HD 4670 1GB GDDR3. This will be my first Mac Hack after 4 originals that have become obsolete.

First I chose the GA-EX58-UD5 but I decided to compare it with the GA-EX58-UD3R and save some money. I do not need 2 Ethernets, or 24 GB of RAM... I wonder who does NOT work because the machine is to work in graphic design (Adobe CS4) and video editing (Final Cut Pro) as for example the need to capture video miniDV Firewire working demo. It is also very important to stop, restart and turn off right. I have read that the sound would Stereo with VoodooHDA but while work is well.

Can you tell me what hardware or software does not work with the GA-EX58-UD3R?

I appreciate all that you can help me.

:)

I am a total noob, first time i'v done this. But I could get the 4670 going at all. It maybe be possible considering some of the new postings ive seen, but I think you might need another card to get the thing started. I couldn't get anywhere starting with thsi card.

Hi, i´m new on this adventure.

first of all, excellent and good explained guide.

My stuff:

GA-EX58-UD3R Mainboard

i7 920 Chip

2x 2Gb DDR3 1066mhz

Gigabyte 9400GT Video Card

Seagate 500gb SATA HD

I´ve got installed with Empire Efi the Snow Leopard on my Pc, but it recognize like a Mini-Mac (on "about this Mac"). but that´s ok for me, i´ve got Sound and Lan, everything goes perfect but, when i re-start it doesnt work, i click on re-start and the computer seems to restart but the screen continues black (the computer is runing but it doesn´t boot) i also can´t access to BIOS setup when i click on restart. It dies... then i have to press and hold the power-switch till 4 seconds, it hut down and i have to wait about 10 minutes to press again the power-switch button (if i try before, i have same problem).

Also i have problems when i modifify on SL the option to get in to sleep mode (Save Power)... it goes in power save but it doesn´t boot up again.

Have anyone same problem? My BIOS configuration is same that this guide, i don´t know what i can do... Maybe is a problem with kexts?

Please, i need some help, than you so much for your time and i´m sorry for my english (i know that is {censored}) hehehe....

Waiting News, regards from Canary Islands

Stormcall

I am pretty new as well. I noticed the bios changed on me a few times....not sure whats causing it but double check that it hasn't gone back to some default settings......

Quick question..I have essentially the same setup (EX58-ud3r) with 6gigs of Corsair DDR3 memory...When I click on "About this Mac" It shows my memory only running at 400mhz...Should this be a concern, and if so, any ideas on a remedy? Secondly, it shows my FSB operating at only 533mhz...Once again, normal? If not, and remedy? My 64-bit Geekbench puts me a little over 9000.... Thanks much!

Great great guide, i haven't been able to complete the installation, but the guide is very good...

Just wanted to share my experience (i have almost the same hardware arsoneffect has) except for the video card....

First problem: had to remove my 4870 Vapor X in order to get to the installation menu....i put an Nvidia 8500gt. Right know i have 10.5.7 in this machine, when i did this installation i had to do the same thing....all kind of problems during installation with the 4870, well couldn't get it work with the 4870. After the video card switch i was able the start the installation BUT:

At the very end of the installation process i got an error: The system could set start up disk "name of the hard drive" it tell me to try to select it using start up disk in the system preferences panel... well i try a lot of stuf, non fix the installation error - AT THE VERY END OF IT - :

Change hard drivers

Format it with gparted

Changing the partition size using disk utility (i find that this work for some people)

I try all kind of disk changes... non worked for me....

(i didn't change the sata port for the hard drive, i use the guide recommendation - Sata- 0)

Next i am going to try with a friend's snow leopard disc, just in case...

Just wanted to share my experience, maybe some could give a little advice in what to do....

i'll let you guys know....

Sorry for my bad english

Fernando German

thanks for the guide

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone !

I'm new to this forum so I'll try to be very listening to each comments and i'm very pleased to join this cool community !

First of all, as i said i'm kind a nOOb about hackintosh, so please forgive me if i'm telling stupid things !!

Second thing, i'm french so if my english is bad or anything i'll try to make myself clearer !!!

So, I'm considering making my HackPro based upon this Mobo !

Actually the version of the mobo i've found is GA-X58A-UD3R with the "A", is it different from the not "A" ??

I've read lots of threads on lots of forum but can't get a clear answer about one major thing :

Does the FIREWIRE works ?

This is the very one thing I need to know because i'm doing a lot of video !

Thanks a lot for your answers guys !!

I used this guide to install Snow Leopard 64 bit on this board worked great.

Hi everyone !

I'm new to this forum so I'll try to be very listening to each comments and i'm very pleased to join this cool community !

First of all, as i said i'm kind a nOOb about hackintosh, so please forgive me if i'm telling stupid things !!

Second thing, i'm french so if my english is bad or anything i'll try to make myself clearer !!!

So, I'm considering making my HackPro based upon this Mobo !

Actually the version of the mobo i've found is GA-X58A-UD3R with the "A", is it different from the not "A" ??

I've read lots of threads on lots of forum but can't get a clear answer about one major thing :

Does the FIREWIRE works ?

This is the very one thing I need to know because i'm doing a lot of video !

Thanks a lot for your answers guys !!

WEll I amusing this same MOBO with a core i7 . I use hte firewire with final cut to import video. works great. see my sig for all of the stuff i ahve going in my rig. going to add a medica card reader in the bay and a blue tooth dongle.

Quick question..I have essentially the same setup (EX58-ud3r) with 6gigs of Corsair DDR3 memory...When I click on "About this Mac" It shows my memory only running at 400mhz...Should this be a concern, and if so, any ideas on a remedy? Secondly, it shows my FSB operating at only 533mhz...Once again, normal? If not, and remedy? My 64-bit Geekbench puts me a little over 9000.... Thanks much!

Well u should becuase certain program will read your memory as 400mz u have to edit your boot list stuff. need to edit your SMBIO.pist in the /extra folder. you cam edit your memory infor there.Google SMBIO.plist edit. I have enclosed mine

Thinnking about getting this mobo

Spring for the next verison up as this is limited to 16gb ram.... you never know.

I used this guide to install Snow Leopard 64 bit on this board worked great.

WEll I amusing this same MOBO with a core i7 . I use hte firewire with final cut to import video. works great. see my sig for all of the stuff i ahve going in my rig. going to add a medica card reader in the bay and a blue tooth dongle.

Well u should becuase certain program will read your memory as 400mz u have to edit your boot list stuff. need to edit your SMBIO.pist in the /extra folder. you cam edit your memory infor there.Google SMBIO.plist edit. I have enclosed mine

Spring for the next verison up as this is limited to 16gb ram.... you never know.

Thanx a lot for this clear and quick answer !!

i'm looking for informations about P55 chipset too, i may try this kind of mobo which are really cheaper !

any idea about good P55 Mobo ?

Does anyone know the GIGABYTE GA-P55-US3L

Thanks !!

How I missed this thread is beyond me. I actually used the UD5R guide and tweaked a few things and my machine is running like a dream since. I'm gonna have to try this guide out and see how it goes.

I will ask this though. Anyone have this running and have a gigabit network switch? I just got one and the only issue with my setup is that the switch is only seeing it as 100Mbps based and not 1000. If anyone could confirm that they got this setup with full 1000Mbps gigabit speeds, please let me know. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I see in this thread the orinal poster included a DSDT.aml file... ummm how do i use that , and can anyone patch the DSDT to inlcude the ethernet as using the ethernet kext slows it down and i tihnk if we can get the Ethernet included in teh DSDT it woudl perform better and be update safe.. So how do i install the enclosed DSDT?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

First purchase for my first build which will mainly be for audio?

The GA EX58 UD3R, this is because of the firewire and I am a Pro Tools kinda guy

I also bought 6gb of 1600 memory- was that a mistake?

I am going to get my processor, probably a 930 because it is just a few bucks more

I am having trouble picking out a case cause I am a kook when it comes to this-

Any suggestions for the rest of this build?

I am planning on using the Empire EFI build technique, seems really easy

I am not a noob to messing around with computer guts, I regularly buy and sell Macbook Pros with problems!

SO I built my machine and I cant get into bios- all I have is USB keyboards- so is that the key or did I mess something up? It will let me go to a boot menu but it wont let me go to bios-

It always ends up at a enter system disk and hit enter command, no matter what I put in there it nothing goes happens- Is this a SATA DVD drive issue? mine is a Pioneer and said ATA on the box but it definitely hooked up to the IDE???

HELP!