OSXRestart.kext

Master Chief

173 posts in this topic

New OS X Restart SolutionOSXRestart Version 1.5c now available!!!

Update: The latest Chameleon nightly – not the official RC4 release – now also includes a restart fix. A big thank you to Duvel300 who wrote this patch!

I have been working on a replacement for OpenHaltRestart.kext and I am proud to present it today, here on insanelymac.com

My kext is written from the ground up, and not based off of either OpenHaltRestart.kext nor EvoReboot.kext You won't

find a single line of code from either kext in my work – using a completely new and different approach to solve restart issues.

It is also the cleanest restart solution ever. No nagging whatsoever. Not even a single line in your log files -

the only reference to me, being "OSX Restart Solution v1.3 By Master Chief 2009" can be found in both Info.plist

and InfoPlist.strings (Update: I did add a notation for kernel.log in later versions).

ioreg -l output

Some of you here might want to know this so here goes:

OSX_Restart_Handler  <class OSX_Restart_Handler, id 0x10000010c, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 4>
{
"IOClass" = "OSX_Restart_Handler"
"IOMatchCategory" = "OSX_Restart_Handler"
"IOProbeScore" = 18446744073709550616
"IOProviderClass" = "IOPlatformExpertDevice"
"CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.osx.restart"
"IOResourceMatch" = "ACPI"
}

And for the rest of us… it's not that a big deal. Just forget about it.

Target audience

OSXRestart.kext is developed for OS X 10.6 and 10.6 only. For both 32 and 64 bit (single combo kext). And also (not specifically) for people where restart-after-sleep is broken; no more keyboard controller hacks – I am using the FACP table data instead.

Does it work?

The first version of OSXRestart.kext has been downloaded 121 times so far, and the latest release 25 times. Which looks like nothing right now, but I haven't officially introduced it yet. Not until today – 23 November 2009 – that is.

And the first confirmations from: Asus, Gigabyte and MSI users are starting to flow in. But more importantly, there hasn't been a single complaint about OSXRestart.kext not working. Which to me is far more important, especially since my code is still brand new and like I said earlier; I am doing things completely different (using FACP table data).

Limitations

OSXRestart.kext is developed for one reason only... to fix restart issues. Not to fix shutdown! And it might not work with motherboards with a NVDIA chipset (see post #85). Check your FACP table, which should not be much shorter than the attached example!

Shutdown can be fixed with DSDT patching, and Asus user can look here for help, and Gigabyte users here. Also, OSXRestart.kext is developed specifically for OS X 10.6 and thus there won't be one for Leopard. Sorry.

Troubleshooting

In case of trouble, when OSXRestart.kext doesn't seem to restart your hack, you have to figure out what the problem is. I can't do magic 6000 miles away from you. Start by looking at the installed kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ (where they should be for Chameloen users) or in /System/Library/Extensions/ (where they are when they don't work in /Extra/Extensions) because one of them is most likely the culprit.

Another indicator is shutdown. When that doesn't work without something like OpenHaltRestart.kext or EvOReboot.kext then you are in trouble since, again, OSXRestart.kext isn't going to solve shutdown problems.

And please add a signature before you ask questions, so that people here know what you are using and can try to help you.

Update: Device (SBUS) in your DSDT might cause a slow reboot – up to three times – which basically means that the SBUS isn't working for you. See also: post #102 and post #104

Failures

There are a number of reports where OSXRestart.kext didn't work. A few people had to remove VoodooPowerMini.kext first, while others had to fix their installation. If you can restart once with OSXRestart.kext then you know (or should know) that the restart method I use is supported on your motherboard.

Problems where it only works 1 out of N times are all related to your OS X installation – I presume another failing 3th party kext. You have to find this out yourself, and report it to the developer so that he/she can take care of it. I cannot help you with this. Sorry.

What about OpenHaltRestart and EvOReboot?

I don't have anything to comment on it other than; when you are happy with either one of it, that is fine by me. But please give my work a try. Which is only fair, isn't it? I mean you can always go back to whatever you are using right now, and what is working for you. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

References

OSXRestart.kext was first introduced here and the first update here (22 November 2009).

Go download OSXRestart.kext now, and spread the word of love.

And as always; Happy Hacking!

-Chief

OSXRestart.kext.zip

FACP_Example_.dsl.zip

OSXRestart_V1.4.kext.zip

OSXRestart_V1.5.kext.zip

OSXRestart_v1.5c.zip

OSXRestart_15c_binary.kext.zip

Thanks for your great and creative works. I'm looking for another restart patch all the time. The previous tries always can cause BOIS can not find the SATA CD-ROM, I will try this once have a moment.

BTW, is there a possible that this way also can work on Leopard? Maybe not, however I think most of us are still using the Leopard.

I'll give it a try later when I get home.

Do you know what can I do to make my HAck wake from sleep????

When it enters sleep it appears to be shut down but it's really sleeping. I can resume if I press a key or make clic (the fans start spinning again), but the screen stays black. I don't now it it's awake 'cause OSX doesn't make sounds for anything and I don't know how to make it beep without looking at the screen (open itunes, etc).

If you have a solution, please let me know.

I'm currently using EvoReboot.

Cheers!!

Do you know what can I do to make my HAck wake from sleep????

When it enters sleep it appears to be shut down but it's really sleeping. I can resume if I press a key or make clic (the fans start spinning again), but the screen stays black. I don't now it it's awake 'cause OSX doesn't make sounds for anything and I don't know how to make it beep without looking at the screen (open itunes, etc).

If you have a solution, please let me know...

I did add two links (see Limitations) to Asus and Gigabyte topics about DSDT patching, because I was expecting something like this to happen. Please follow the links.

Thanks MC, i'll try this alternative method asap.

I have the same issue that previously mentionned with the sleep state... black screen and gpu fan keep spining with a 4870, but not with a 8400GS. So i conclude the faulty was the graphic card.

Anyway, thanks again.

New OS X Restart Solution

Limitations

OSXRestart.kext is developed for one reason only... to fix restart issues. Not to fix shutdown!

Uhhhhh ... which "restart issues" are you fixing? I ask only so I have an idea what functions you would want me to try out to see if OSXRestart.kext is working as you intended it to.

I got the feeling you intended it to support resuming after putting the system to sleep, no? Or is it really all about restarting as in doing a (warm) reboot? :)

-irrational john

It fixes restart after sleep here. Great job, as usually.

I can't find how to shutdown without OpenHaltRestart.kext, the only reference to shutdown in your DSDT is in Prepare To Sleep method. Could you point it please?

Will you release the source code?

Thanks again.

Edit: in IOPMLibPrivate.c, IOPMGetLastWakeTime reads the key CLWK from (fake)SMC to determine the real time of physical wake. Maybe something related to the "after sleep" problems?

Would this fix my launch.c SIOGFADDR or something like that error I have every time I boot the computer?

Thanks for your work!

P.S: After reading my post I think I'm gonna give more info :( sorry

I think that error is caused because of a bad restart. In addition to that, the bluetooth dongle is no initiated properly at POST, hence I can't use the wireless keyboard, which is only usable when I boot after shutdown.

Thank you again :)

Uhhhhh ... which "restart issues" are you fixing? I ask only so I have an idea what functions you would want me to try out to see if OSXRestart.kext is working as you intended it to.

I got the feeling you intended it to support resuming after putting the system to sleep, no? Or is it really all about restarting as in doing a (warm) reboot? :unsure:

Both. See links under References

It fixes restart after sleep here. Great job, as usually.

Thanks.

I can't find how to shutdown without OpenHaltRestart.kext, the only reference to shutdown in your DSDT is in Prepare To Sleep method. Could you point it please?

This is stuff for the P5K Pro thread.

Will you release the source code?

Yes. See note about in post #1.

Edit: in IOPMLibPrivate.c, IOPMGetLastWakeTime reads the key CLWK from (fake)SMC to determine the real time of physical wake. Maybe something related to the "after sleep" problems?

No. But it is time for another "3rd party" update to FakeSMC – PM me so that we can disuse this off-list.

OSXRestart.kext is developed for one reason only... to fix restart issues. Not to fix shutdown!

Shutdown can be fixed with DSDT patching, and Asus user can look here for help, and Gigabyte users here.

If the kext is needed to fix restart, I'd use it to fix shutdown too. Would be perfect for me, use your restart fix and OHR shutdown fix in one kext. Kill two birds with one stone.

But it is time for another "3rd party" update to FakeSMC

You mean your restart solution will become the next "3rd party" update to FakeSMC?

fixed timeout delay on restart/shutdown (added keys LSOF and LSSB)

If you use opengaltrestart or other reboot/shutdown fixers, then u still need to use it with fakesmc.