[How To] Install iAtkos v7 on VMware Workstation

jawcl

55 posts in this topic

I am using VMware workstation 7.0.0, this should work with older versions but I have not tested it. Also, this may not work with processors other than Intel Core 2 Duo, Quad, and AMD dual core and quad core. i7 may work and then again may not. ENABLE VIRTUALIZATION IN YOUR BIOS IF YOU CAN.

1. Get an iAtkos ISO (Google is your friend).

2. Download and install VMware Workstation from here: http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop...workstation/7_0

3. Open VMware Workstation, click New Virtual Machine.

4. Click Custom (advanced) and click Next.

5. Click Next again.

6. Click Installer Disk Image File and then navigate to your .ISO file then click Next.

7. Click Other, FreeBSD and click Next.

8. Name your virtual machine something like iAtkos or Mac and click Next.

9. Don't change anything here, click Next.

10. Use 512MB of RAM and click Next.

11. Click Use bridge networking and click Next.

12. Leave the settings as they are and click Next.

13. Select Create a new virtual hard disk and click Next.

14. Use IDE, and click Next.

15. Make the disk 16GB or larger and click Next.

16. Name it Mac.vmdk and click Next.

17. Click Finish.

18. Now it will boot, wait for the prompt to come up then click in the screen and press F8. Now type put in -v -busratio=7 cpus=1 or type cpus -z to find out how big the busratio should be.

19. Wait for the install screen to load.

20. Okay, installer loaded. Click Utilities, Disk Utility.

21. Click the virtual hard disk and go to Erase then select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and name it something that is one word like Mac then click erase.

22. Close Disk Utility once the erase is done.

23. Click Continue on the installer then read and agree to the terms.

24. Select your volume you just made and click Continue.

25. Click Customize. Change x86patches -> kernel, add voodoo 9.7.0 only, drivers->system-> sata-ide -> add intel sata/ide. ps/2 mouse/keyboard-> add voodoo ps2 driver. Click Done.

26. Now click Install and wait until it's done. Skip the disk check unless you like to waist time.

27. When it's done (if you are there) click Restart.

28. Boot from the virtual disk and hit F8, then type in -v -f busratio=7 cpus=1

29. For display drivers, refer to this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=0&start=0

Enjoy your Mac OS!!!

I am using VMware workstation 7.0.0

7. Click Other, FreeBSD and click Next.

29. For display drivers, enable 3D acceleration and download this into your Mac VM: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/ It might work, doesn't do to well for me though.

Well, you could start by RTFM. Look at this thread, Post #16 and read what it says about using guestOS = "freebsd...".

does not work for me...

i see de apple logo from the bootscreen about 1 sec, then the VM is rebooting.

VMWare Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739

I have the same one... What is your hardware and did you do the same exact configuration as I did (1 processor, 512MB RAM, 16GB HDD)? Also, did you type those boot commands?

my hardware is:

i7 950 @3.20GHz

6GB RAM

Win7 x64

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

geForce 295 single PCB

config: 1 Processor, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD,

paramteres: (for CD boot) -v busratio=7 (tried 24) cpus=1

(for HDD boot) -v -f busratio=7 (tried 24) cpus=1

my hardware is:

i7 950 @3.20GHz

6GB RAM

Win7 x64

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

geForce 295 single PCB

config: 1 Processor, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD,

paramteres: (for CD boot) -v busratio=7 (tried 24) cpus=1

(for HDD boot) -v -f busratio=7 (tried 24) cpus=1

It could be your i7 processor. Actually, when I first tried it did the same, also make sure you make it a 16GB like mine to be safe.

i am having the same problem installing it comes up to the apple screen and reboots, But i wonder if i can use the virtual machine in windows 7 pro to do this vs vmware. trying to run version 10.5.7. is there another version i may need to try? my hardware is

intel xeon E5506 @ 2.13

12G Ram

64 bit 7 pro

raid 1 2 500 hds

Quadro fx1800

i am having the same problem installing it comes up to the apple screen and reboots, But i wonder if i can use the virtual machine in windows 7 pro to do this vs vmware. trying to run version 10.5.7. is there another version i may need to try? my hardware is

intel xeon E5506 @ 2.13

12G Ram

64 bit 7 pro

raid 1 2 500 hds

Quadro fx1800

Did you try the old kernel?

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that this works on my HP dv6707us laptop though slow as hell. Internet is working fine, graphics is ok but there is no sound card detected. After trying several MAC OSx86 distributions, this one worked fine. I will attach the CPU-Z report of my notebook.

Can somebody confirm whether my hard drive will be detected by Disk Utility if I try to install it as a Standalone (or dual boot with Windows 7) instead of VMWare Workstation 7? I tried many distros which could not detect my hard disc.

HP_dv6707us.htm

after installation, I edited my preferences of my Virtual machine to use 2 cores and then booted with boot flags:

-v -f busratio=10 cpus=1.

it seems MAC is running faster now. I want to install it as a Standalone with Dual boot Windows 7. Somebody please confirm whether my hardware is compatible, especially whether my hard disc will be detected by Disk Utility or not.

i have done everything by tutorial, just changed 16 gig to 40, then RAM 3072. now i am booting with {censored} -f cpus=1 busratio=10. ok, 1 question, do i have to enter this {censored} every time to make Darwin boot properly? or there is a way to make this {censored} get loaded by default??? so i dont have to hit some key to enter this.

Hii I'm a geek on this thing, but i want to try a bit.

So, i have done what you write on the head of this topic. But in my vmware there is a window with the

next message:

A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to restart the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine.

CPU: Intel Centrino² inside

It's the first time I do this, know I don't know how I must fixed this. Can anybody help me?

Thx

Hii I'm a geek on this thing, but i want to try a bit.

So, i have done what you write on the head of this topic. But in my vmware there is a window with the

next message:

CPU: Intel Centrino² inside

It's the first time I do this, know I don't know how I must fixed this. Can anybody help me?

Thx

Change or copy and paste these lines :

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

if u have Leopard then the guest OS should be "darwin" or "darwin-64"

and don't forget to change the smc.present line if its TRUE change it to FALSE and thats all. you will not get the error again !! so most ipmortant is to change the freebsd to darwin

Change or copy and paste these lines :

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

if u have Leopard then the guest OS should be "darwin" or "darwin-64"

and don't forget to change the smc.present line if its TRUE change it to FALSE and thats all. you will not get the error again !! so most ipmortant is to change the freebsd to darwin

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, thank you jawcl for this nice steps!

I have HP DV7-2185dx

Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9000

6MB L2 Cache

Memory 6144MB

Video Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (M96)

Hard Drive 500GB (5400RPM)

Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Wireless Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN

Sound Altec Lansing with SRS Premium Sound and Sub-Woofer

I have the same issue as some of the people here! i see the apple logo from the bootscreen about 1 sec, then the VM is rebooting. I'll love to have iAkos v7 installed. any idea how to make this work?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if there's a way to not enter the command lines each time we boot, I'm quite tired of getting the -v (verbose mode I suppose), guess its not needed, gonna try without it but with the other commands, I'm brand new to this hackintosh thing, I'm testing it in vmware but will want to dual boot it on my pretty old laptop (Presario V6320CA but with 2gb instead of the factory 1gb)