Broadcom 4315 Not Working

firepong

14 posts in this topic

Ok, so I get Snow Leopard installed on my Acer Aspire One D250. Got most of it working except a few things which I don't think will work. But besides that, been trying to get the wireless card to work for the last day and to no avail, not working.

As the title says, its the 4315 model, mini-pci. I know I can always get a PCI-e one in case I can't get it working as the PCI-E port on the new Acer isn't used.

Anyways, I've tryed the drivers as well as putting in the ID's myself. Still not working.

Here's a copy of what is being showed in the System Profiler:

ExpressCard:

Type: Other Network Controller

Driver Installed: No

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x4315

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x105b

Subsystem ID: 0xe01b

Revision ID: 0x0001

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

Ok, by what it shows up there, it should work, Right? Wrong is what I'm guessing. In the drivers, it shows the Subsystem Vendor ID as 0x106b, but mine is 0x105b, why is that? Also, it shows the Subsystem ID as 0xe04e, but mine is 0xe01b, why is THAT?

I'm thinking it's because of the way the wireless card is in the netbook. Like I said, my PCI-E slot is still open, meaning the card is either built into the mobo or there's a mini-PCI slot inside the laptop that's not accessible without popping the case open and looking.

So, by what I've posted, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to try and get this working or to point me in another direction that can help?

P.S. A few days ago, I saw a modified broadcom driver that was for a Acer D150, that I believe was for this same problem. But now, can't seem to find it around. Anyone know of this driver?

• 1 month later...
Ok, so I get Snow Leopard installed on my Acer Aspire One D250. Got most of it working except a few things which I don't think will work. But besides that, been trying to get the wireless card to work for the last day and to no avail, not working.

As the title says, its the 4315 model, mini-pci. I know I can always get a PCI-e one in case I can't get it working as the PCI-E port on the new Acer isn't used.

Anyways, I've tryed the drivers as well as putting in the ID's myself. Still not working.

Here's a copy of what is being showed in the System Profiler:

ExpressCard:

Type: Other Network Controller

Driver Installed: No

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x4315

Revision ID: 0x0001

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

Ok, by what it shows up there, it should work, Right? Wrong is what I'm guessing. In the drivers, it shows the Subsystem Vendor ID as 0x106b, but mine is 0x105b, why is that? Also, it shows the Subsystem ID as 0xe04e, but mine is 0xe01b, why is THAT?

I'm thinking it's because of the way the wireless card is in the netbook. Like I said, my PCI-E slot is still open, meaning the card is either built into the mobo or there's a mini-PCI slot inside the laptop that's not accessible without popping the case open and looking.

So, by what I've posted, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to try and get this working or to point me in another direction that can help?

P.S. A few days ago, I saw a modified broadcom driver that was for a Acer D150, that I believe was for this same problem. But now, can't seem to find it around. Anyone know of this driver?

Same prob here men,, though i'd manage to inject kext from I used from 10.5.8, and Network recognizes my card as Airport problem it wont turn on..Now I revert to good oldie old Leopard and seaching somewhere out there for some solutions.

You might want to try this one from other forum, I just dont have the luxury of time to install SL this point of writing. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44114

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am having issues with this 4315 card under SL. I've done the method described above and that just makes the card become detected as an airport but as for functionality, it doesn't do a thing. :-(

It won't turn on and the up in the status bar at the top of the screen, it just said "no airport detected" yet the airport interface is active. Bummer.

Anyone have any ideas?

backup your existing "IO80211Family.kext" first.

then download this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?iyjt4qmitvq

uncompress the content to your desktop.

run Kext Helper b7

drag and drop the file "IO80211Family.kext" into Kext Helper b7

enter your password, click Easy Install

when done, restart your computer

.. and you should have wireless working after reboot.

backup your existing "IO80211Family.kext" first.

then download this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?iyjt4qmitvq

uncompress the content to your desktop.

run Kext Helper b7

drag and drop the file "IO80211Family.kext" into Kext Helper b7

enter your password, click Easy Install

when done, restart your computer

.. and you should have wireless working after reboot.

And did this work?

I find it interesting that nobody has asked what hardware we are all working on. The range of possible differences are unimaginable.

• 5 months later...
Just take the 10.6.2 stock IO80211Family.kext and modify the BCM plugin manually. You can do this by just copying it to the desktop, right click, show package contents, browse to plugins, show package contents of AppleAirPortBRcm4311.kext, add in the address in the plist.

not working here..

not working here..

I have the bad feeling it has to do with:

Maybe on Systems that have the BCM4312 card running they have other Subsystem-IDs.

At now (besides iDeneb) on straight 10.5.6 the card is running, on 10.5.7 and above Apple seems to have blacklisted some subsystem vendors, so the card won't work anymore.

The IO80211Family.kext and the right patch for vendor and ID seems not the reason for not working.

but some people here have a working System with this card!

[bCM4312 [14e4:4315]]

They have other subvendor-IDs? They have some DSDT magic for their books, wich altered the Systeminfos?

There are three ways at now:

- using stable 10.6.x NBI system with an supported USB wireless thumbstick and a dead BCM4312

- using stable 10.5.6 NBI system with all things working correct but not having proper security patches from apple

- using flaky iDeneb 10.5.7/8 system with all things working correct but not booting sometimes (hangs on boot process)

I'm experimenting with all three solutions...

(BTW, don't mix it up, that the card with the ID 4315 is called BCM4312 and not BCM4315)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I've got the same board and the same issue on my Acer Emachine 525, I've patched my DSDT with subsystem-vendor-Id 106b and subsystem-ID e01b to get the board recognized in the IO tree and be seen in the system profiler as a broadcom. The AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext is correctly loader but without any messages. But the light on the special suspend key for my broadcom 14e4:4315 never switch on and the board isn't recognized by airport tools

it seems the board is asleep and the driver doesn't wake it up 

I've try the above patch without any success

I'm running on vanilla SL 10.6.4

any suggestion ?? 

kind regards