[Guide] Snow Lepard Retail on Asrock G31-M S and GS

46 posts in this topic

With this method you can have Snow Leopard Retail 64bit on Asrock G31-M S and GS motherboards

On board 2.0 USB controller conflicts with ICH7 then you need to use PS2 mouse and Keybord and you must set the BIOS as below.

You must have SATA Hard Disk and DVD recorder.

EDIT 15/02/2010: In Snow 10.6.2 with new Netkas's boot and PC EFI 10.6 the ATI Radeon 43xx 45xx and 46xx series are working with QE/CI (see Netkas site)

The on board video card (GMA3100) is not supported by Mac OS X so you need a PCI-E external card (Nvidia for me)

What you need:

1) Snow Leopard Retail DVD (legally);

2) Kexts and utilities package: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZYGRTY0L

3) An empty CD

4) An empty SATA HD for Snow Leopard

5) A USB key

You must flash the BIOS

For G31-M S: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=46734

For G31M-GS: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=46735

BIOS settings: (only the most important)

CPU Configuration:

Enhanced Halt State [Disabled]

Intel Virtualization Tech. [Enabled] : (this option is present only if your CPU supports this technology)

CPU Thermal Throttling [Enabled]

No-Execute Memory Protection [Enabled]

Intel SpeedStep Tech. [Disabled]

On-Demand Clock Modulation [Disabled]

ACPI Configuration:

Suspend To RAM [Auto]

Repost Video on STR Resume [Yes]

Check Ready Bit [Disabled]

Restore on AC/Power Loss [Power Off]

Ring-In Power On [Disabled]

PCI Devices Power On [Disabled]

PS/2 Keyboard Power On [Disabled]

RTC Alarm Power On [Disabled]

ACPI HPET Table [Enabled]

IDE Configuration:

ATA/IDE Configuration [Enhanced]

USB Configuration:

USB Controller [Enabled]

USB 2.0 Support [Enabled]

Legacy USB Support [Disabled] (PS2 mouse and keyboard)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Fase 1 (Installation)

Download the kexts and utility package;

Burn G31-M iso;

Copy the package on a USB key;

Boot the PC fron DVD writer with inside the burned G31-M CD;

When appears the Chameleon screen eject the CD;

Insert Snow Leopard DVD;

Push F5 to refresh DVD;

Choose MAC OSX INSTALL DVD;

With Disk Utility create (choose GUID partition table) a Mac OS X (journaled) partition called Snow

Install Leopard on Snow, don't install printers and the languages different from your)

At the end of installation reboot from the DVD writer with inside the G31-M CD and choose Snow (in verbose mode)

Run the wizard.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Fase 2 (Post Installation)

Insert the USB key with the kexts and utilities package and expand it on the Desktop

Run "Chameleon 2 RC3", and choose to install on Snow partition

Run "PCEFI 10.5 installer G31M" and choose to install on Snow partition

Copy from the package the Extra folder on Snow root /

With Kexthelper install from SLE voodooHDA.kext and, if you have G31-M GS motherboard, RealtekR1000.kext

Open in SLE "VoodooHDA Panel + VoodooKiller" folder and follow the instructions from file "guida voodookiller" (thank you to Barbonenet); escuse me for italian in this file, i'll translate it as soon.

You need the UUID of Snow partition: open Disk Utility, with right mouse button choose information and "copy" the Universal Ident.;

In the /Extra folder open com.apple.Boot.plist and "paste" this value instead of "mettete qui ilvostroUUID" and do the same thing with smbios.plist

Run "MacToPlatformUUID", window will appear with a Mac Address and a IOPlatformUUID; put the mac address, without columns, in the info.plist of PlatformUUID.kext in /Extra/Extensions after:

00000000-0000-1000-8000-

Run "KextUtility" and at the end close it

Reboot from Snow HD and you should have Snow Leopard 64 bit fully working except the internal mic and the sleep.

Good luck. Each council and improvement are welcome

Giorgio

The GMA3100 should be managed, maybe after pci ids mod. macMini and macbookair used this IMHO.

Hey dear new member, the card that works is GMAX3100 (for laptop)

GMA3100 is another chip, (for desktop) and doesn't works in Mac OS X.

Before posting is better to be documented

Giorgio

Hey dear new member, the card that works is GMAX3100 (for laptop)

GMA3100 is another chip, (for desktop) and doesn't works in Mac OS X.

Before posting is better to be documented

Giorgio

missed the X

you're right, this is diff between newbee and guru... we are just here for noise and make guru less alone !

missed the X

you're right, this is diff between newbee and guru... we are just here for noise and make guru less alone !

The difference between the two graphic chips is well known and much discussed on the forum, no need to be a guru, just read and a minimum of humility

Giorgio

I've been waiting for something like this for my motherboard!

I will try this during sunday, this will be my first time doing it so it might take a while.

I dont have a nvidia card, i got a hd4670 pcs, might it work?

I got both sata hdd and dvd, does it matter how its pluged in into the motherboard? DVD or HDD in SATA1?

best regards

I've been waiting for something like this for my motherboard!

I will try this during sunday, this will be my first time doing it so it might take a while.

I dont have a nvidia card, i got a hd4670 pcs, might it work?

I got both sata hdd and dvd, does it matter how its pluged in into the motherboard? DVD or HDD in SATA1?

best regards

No, HD4670 doesn't works now (no QE/CI and OpenCL), in future I hope. There are Netkas's beta drivers from 10.6.2 but for me only black screen.

DVD in SATA 1, HD in SATA 2

Giorgio

Hey Giorgio!

I've got a problem, I can't even get to the install screen.

I have G31-MS, Pentium Dual-Core E5200 and ATI HD4670

When I insert boot CD, all goes well, Chameleon appears and I insert Snow Leopard DVD. I start it with -v setting so I can see the console. It loads for about 5mins, then it writes "previous shutdown cause: 3" and all black-and-white dots appear on the screen.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

Hey Giorgio!

I've got a problem, I can't even get to the install screen.

I have G31-MS, Pentium Dual-Core E5200 and ATI HD4670

When I insert boot CD, all goes well, Chameleon appears and I insert Snow Leopard DVD. I start it with -v setting so I can see the console. It loads for about 5mins, then it writes "previous shutdown cause: 3" and all black-and-white dots appear on the screen.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

Is a videocard problem. The guide is for NVIDIA Graphics cards.

You must restore the DVD on a USB key and remove ATIRadeonX2000.kext and install from USB key

(instead of Snow DVD choose usb key with restored and modified installation System)

Giorgio

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Asrock G31M-S mobo, and i was searching for a guide like that. Thank you.

But the boot CD gives me a kernel panic, in verbose mode it stop with the message:

"ACPI_SMC_PlataformPlugin... timed out"

So i used another boot cd, and it instaled ok, so i proceeded with the post instalation.

When i open the "MacToPlatformUUID", it gives me an "error" where the MacAdress should be.

i instaled SL on that board, but no Lan or Video, (nVidia 6200 doesnt worked with EFI Strings from OSx86Tools..)

Thanks.

Works like a charm. Brilliant work Signor Giorgio, had too much trouble reading Italiano instructions, but happy in the end. Wonder why snow does not show Core Image and Quartz Extreme info in profiler. I believe I got hardware acceleration on nVidia GF 9400GT 1Gib, because I can play some games. Got false shutdown issues. ;)

Pentium Dual Core

AsRock G31M-S

nVidia GeForce 9400GT 1 Gib

2 GB 667Mhz(id'd as 800 Mhz)

• 1 month later...
Works like a charm. Brilliant work Signor Giorgio, had too much trouble reading Italiano instructions, but happy in the end. Wonder why snow does not show Core Image and Quartz Extreme info in profiler. I believe I got hardware acceleration on nVidia GF 9400GT 1Gib, because I can play some games. Got false shutdown issues. :)

Pentium Dual Core

AsRock G31M-S

nVidia GeForce 9400GT 1 Gib

2 GB 667Mhz(id'd as 800 Mhz)

is your lan working? i installed everthing according to the guide but i can get lan to work, other than that everthing is working. pls help me how you people got lan working? i also had the shutdown/sleep issues but sorted it out by deleting dsdt.aml from the pack and generating new one on my machine.

Intel E7400

Asrock G31M-S

Nvidia 9600gt 512mb

4gb 667 ram

• 1 month later...
is your lan working?

i also had the shutdown/sleep issues but sorted it out by deleting dsdt.aml from the pack and generating new one on my machine. 

After flashing the BIOS you have to make a CMOS Reset on the Board, then LAN will be available

How did you get Sleep working correctly ???

• 2 weeks later...
After flashing the BIOS you have to make a CMOS Reset on the Board, then LAN will be available

Hello, Excellent guide my friend, i could installl the system nicely and at list everything its running. But I just have some questions, if you please.

First Why on 64bits is it better? or is it necesary?

Second, When firstable i installed the system my resolution was correctly on 1024*768 60ghz, but after i installed all the patched that you told us and restar the system. My resolution changed to 800*600 85ghz and there is no anymore to select the before one. I have a Nvidia 7200 pci express

And I cant to get ready the ethernet or lan, and i already have done the cmos. Please just help me if you can, I will be really appreciate with you for this, and I do apologize for any inconvinient. Thank You

Well just traying some kext that are on the package that we downloaded I get fix the ethernet thank you in advance, but I could not to get work the video and is there a way to make the sleep works properly?????

thank you

Well just traying some kext that are on the package that we downloaded I get fix the ethernet thank you in advance, but I could not to get work the video and is there a way to make the sleep works properly?????

thank you

The sleep don't works (for me)

Wich injector have you used? (NVinject, efistrings i.e.)

Giorgio

The sleep don't works (for me)

Wich injector have you used? (NVinject, efistrings i.e.)

Giorgio

I just installed all the guide step by step, even i already tried the Nvinject but it does not still work, it does not show me the resolotion 1024*768 60ghz as on the beginin of the isntalation.

I just installed all the guide step by step, even i already tried the Nvinject but it does not still work, it does not show me the resolotion 1024*768 60ghz as on the beginin of the isntalation.

Delete NVinject.kext and create a EFIstring with EFIstudio or OSX86 tools, cooy the string and paste it in the com.apple.Boot.plist (see in the forum the Topics related to Efi String)

Another procedure is with almost PC-EFI 10.5 to activate GraphicsEnabler in the com.apple.Boot.plist

(but this is a problem not correlated with the Guide, is a problem reguarding the Videocard)

Giorgio

Delete NVinject.kext and create a EFIstring with EFIstudio or OSX86 tools, cooy the string and paste it in the com.apple.Boot.plist (see in the forum the Topics related to Efi String)

Another procedure is with almost PC-EFI 10.5 to activate GraphicsEnabler in the com.apple.Boot.plist

(but this is a problem not correlated with the Guide, is a problem reguarding the Videocard)

Giorgio

Excellent thank you for all your support, I could activate the Graphics Enabler with a tool on the efi empire disk, and its working the audio superb with the HDAenabler, and the ethernet its working with Realtek1000 that its on your package. Now the only thing its that on the screen resolution i cant to select 1024*768*32 as was on the begining its just to add i guess to the boot.plist. How can i do that and i think that was the last question. I'm sorry and thank you.

hello all, first thanks for this great walkthrough. it works just fine.

but i have a little problem at shutdown (not at restart) the system freezes after "CPU halted", i hear the hdd slowing down then nothing. just sometime a line about airport or realtek, but not every time.

i tried a few tweaks, like trying another DSDT, replacing OpenHaltRestart with EvOreboot, adding NullCPUPowerManager, updating FakeSMC and RealtekR1000, changing various BIOS settings... without luck. and now i don't really know what i could try.

i updated to Chameleon RC4 and PC EFI 10.6 because i needed to use a picky HD4350, maybe the problem is here.

by the way what is the difference between the original PC EFI 10.5 and the version of it in the post install package nammed PCEFI 10.5 Installer G31M.pkg"

sorry for the inconvenience

ASRock G31-M GS - Pentium E6300 - ATI HD4350 - Airport BCM4318 - OSX 10.6.2

but i have a little problem at shutdown (not at restart) the system freezes after "CPU halted", i hear the hdd slowing down then nothing. just sometime a line about airport or realtek, but not every time.

i tried a few tweaks, like trying another DSDT, replacing OpenHaltRestart with EvOreboot, adding NullCPUPowerManager, updating FakeSMC and RealtekR1000, changing various BIOS settings... without luck. and now i don't really know what i could try.

i updated to Chameleon RC4 and PC EFI 10.6 because i needed to use a picky HD4350, maybe the problem is here.

by the way what is the difference between the original PC EFI 10.5 and the version of it in the post install package nammed PCEFI 10.5 Installer G31M.pkg"

For the shutdown problem try to delete DSDT.aml

The PC-EFI included has only a different name (I have made some guides, and to difference between the packages I have named with the mainboard name)

Giorgio

You must delete NVinject.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and ad to the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra this 2 strings:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Giorgio