Patched RTL 8187B USB WLAN Adapter

Nikola22

32 posts in this topic

Tested, works like a little baby. Problem was in hax device & vendor ID, tested in iPC 10.5.6

Download from RTL web site original driver, install it, replace kext with this one, repair disk premiss and enjoy in ur new wlan :D

Edit: tested with 10.5.8 update, works ok. u just need to restore ur old USB kext fix.

comment if this works with ur wlan adapter

Image of working driver:

post-442773-1256420859_thumb.png

RTL8187Bt.kext.zip

Tested, works like a little baby. Problem was in hax device & vendor ID, tested in iPC 10.5.6

Download from RTL web site original driver, install it, replace kext with this one, repair disk premiss and enjoy in ur new wlan :(

Edit: tested with 10.5.8 update, works ok. u just need to restore ur old USB kext fix.

Hello

I'm new to the whole MAC thing and have managed to get 10.5.5 installed and everything working really well apart from wireless. I have an internal 8187B card but cannot get it to work. How do I go about installing your driver? What do you mean by replacing kext and repairing disk premiss etc.

Thanks in advance

PS believe it or not I'm an IT Engineer but on PC's not MAC!!!

Hello

I'm new to the whole MAC thing and have managed to get 10.5.5 installed and everything working really well apart from wireless. I have an internal 8187B card but cannot get it to work. How do I go about installing your driver? What do you mean by replacing kext and repairing disk premiss etc.

Thanks in advance

PS believe it or not I'm an IT Engineer but on PC's not MAC!!!

Download latest driver from official RTL web site.

- http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

At the end of page u will see RTL8187B drivers, download for Mac.

now make SURE that ur device is found in System Profiler / USB (must have patched USB kext fix)

1. Install official driver

2. Open Utilities - Terminal

type sudo -s

type ur root password / and hit enter

type cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf RTL8187Bt.kext/

and install new kext that u downloaded from this web site. (u can use some kext installer or just copy file to that location)

Now go to Utilities - Disk Utility select ur partition and press Repair Disk Permissions

u dont even need to reboot ur pc, device will be found upon disk repair or kext install by some tool.

Hope that this will help u out.

Note: U must have patched USB kext. im uploading mine now here.

Note: this staff works even on 10.5.8 mac version.

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

Download latest driver from official RTL web site.

- http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

At the end of page u will see RTL8187B drivers, download for Mac.

now make SURE that ur device is found in System Profiler / USB (must have patched USB kext fix)

1. Install official driver

2. Open Utilities - Terminal

type sudo -s

type ur root password / and hit enter

type cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf RTL8187Bt.kext/

and install new kext that u downloaded from this web site. (u can use some kext installer or just copy file to that location)

Now go to Utilities - Disk Utility select ur partition and press Repair Disk Permissions

u dont even need to reboot ur pc, device will be found upon disk repair or kext install by some tool.

Hope that this will help u out.

Note: U must have patched USB kext. im uploading mine now here.

Note: this staff works even on 10.5.8 mac version.

I have a Patched IOUSBFamuly.kext already will this still work?

I need to install the IOUSBFamily.kext because my USB wont wont work without it in Snow Leopard.

I have a Toshiba Satellite l305 with the RTL8187B internal WIF card.

didnt test it with 10.6, done have time, working on QE for GMA x4500. try it and report back if u wana, and if u have already patched usb kext u dont need to put mine. just make sure that ur device is recognized in system profiler

Composite Device:

Product ID: 0x8198

Vendor ID: 0x0bda (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)

Version: 2.00

Serial Number: 00e04c000001

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Manufacturer_Realtek

Location ID: 0xfd600000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

didnt test it with 10.6, done have time, working on QE for GMA x4500. try it and report back if u wana, and if u have already patched usb kext u dont need to put mine. just make sure that ur device is recognized in system profiler

Composite Device:

Product ID: 0x8198

my product id is different...?

does it matter?

Guest cavallo

there is an easier way, which is going to the RTL8187bt kekt in system/library/extensions and on the line where integer is 33161 modifie it to 33175.

No usb fix or anything else, just an editor like bbedit or plist edit pro

there is an easier way, which is going to the RTL8187bt kekt in system/library/extensions and on the line where integer is 33161 modifie it to 33175.

Ok, thaks for quick reply you have been much help.

Ok, thaks for quick reply you have been much help.

this is my info could you tell me what I need to change exactly?

Composite Device:

Product ID: 0x8197

If he update system to new version, he will not have usb device recognized.

Download from RTL web site original driver, install it, replace kext with this one, repair disk premiss and enjoy in ur new wlan :D

Image of working driver:

My Wlan card 8187B detecting by system like ethernet. Do you have solve this problem?

My Wlan card 8187B detecting by system like ethernet. Do you have solve this problem?

Its detected like en1, but in Network u dont need to do anything, just work with RTL software. And i dont see problem if device is detected like Ethernet.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So is this working on 10.6.x then, or what??

Good news.. :-)

I've got Snow Leopard 10.6.2..

Following the simple instructions from cavallo and a reboot (to be sure) I got the Realtek Interface and a fully working connection :-) Excellent !

(It's in a Pentagram P6122-14 usb stick, WPA2-PSK with AES encryption.)

So with the source routing in 10.6 I've got 2 wifi working connections and natd running on the UMTS ppp0 interface.

Nice stuff !

Thanks cavello ! :wacko:

Following the simple instructions from cavallo and a reboot (to be sure) I got the Realtek Interface and a fully working connection :-) Excellent !

So with the source routing in 10.6 I've got 2 wifi working connections and natd running on the UMTS ppp0 interface.

Nice stuff !

Thanks cavello ! :thumbsup_anim:

x32 or x64 ???

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if there is a modified kext for Snow x64? The kext for realtek's site work without any problems for me on 10.6.3 32 bits but it's not compatible with 64 bits

Nice stuff !

Thanks cavello ! :unsure:

So you didn't install the original realtek driver? You just installed the one that nikola posted and did cavallo's method? BTW i am in SL 10.6.2 like you and i could get driver working in Leo but it couldn't connect to my WPA-2 homehub :( , so if i can get this driver working, then i should be able to get internet, is that right? :D

• 1 month later...

Sorry if my english is bad. I Have the realtek 8187b chip but not a usb dongle. Its internal in my toshiba laptop. Is it possible to make it work? I tried de usb driver but it didnt work as i expected.

I have leopard 10.5.2. If someone could help i would be much apreciated.

Tks

Sorry if my english is bad. I Have the realtek 8187b chip but not a usb dongle. Its internal in my toshiba laptop. Is it possible to make it work? I tried de usb driver but it didnt work as i expected.

I have leopard 10.5.2. If someone could help i would be much apreciated.

Tks

I have the exact same issue as riddick and my wlan is also chipset not dongle as yours tomsawyer, so, did you solved it already???, please Heeeeeeeelp!!!

Right, well. Ive beent rying for days to get everything working, and ive tried every method possible, i finally stumbled upon a solution in this thread, which is ddiscussed but not in detail. So here it is.

I started from a fresh RETAIL mac install of Snow Leopard (So yeah this works with 10.6). I then downloaded the latest driver on the realtek website, which was the rtl8187b for mac 10.5. I installed the driver, then i downloaded the modified kext in this thread. I opened it and viewd contents, then i went to the info.plist and opened that. I searched for the string 33161 and changed it to 33175, pressed save and using kexthelper i installed it. Once it was installed i had a popup saying please enable WLAN device. I re-started the pc and then opened the realtek wlan utility. It worked and i could connect to my secured network at my house. I set up a profile to auto-connect on startup and this is what im writing this message on (My Hackingtosh (retail disk) on my Tosiba Equium A200)

Thanks to the people in this thread that helped me solve my problem. Hopefully this will help many others with the same issues.

Right, well. Ive beent rying for days to get everything working, and ive tried every method possible, i finally stumbled upon a solution in this thread, which is ddiscussed but not in detail. So here it is.

I started from a fresh RETAIL mac install of Snow Leopard (So yeah this works with 10.6). I then downloaded the latest driver on the realtek website, which was the rtl8187b for mac 10.5. I installed the driver, then i downloaded the modified kext in this thread. I opened it and viewd contents, then i went to the info.plist and opened that. I searched for the string 33161 and changed it to 33175, pressed save and using kexthelper i installed it. Once it was installed i had a popup saying please enable WLAN device. I re-started the pc and then opened the realtek wlan utility. It worked and i could connect to my secured network at my house. I set up a profile to auto-connect on startup and this is what im writing this message on (My Hackingtosh (retail disk) on my Tosiba Equium A200)

Thanks to the people in this thread that helped me solve my problem. Hopefully this will help many others with the same issues.

• 1 month later...

Image of working driver:

BY replacing the kext you mean that i erase the original kext and then i open kext helper and install the new one..plz answer fast please!! also i am using iATKOS_v7 :(

This worked for me on 10.6.3 on an acer aspire one d250 with an off-brand RTL8187B-based wifi stick. Just find the id of your card and make the change, and it works. Sweet.

• 4 weeks later...

My file said 33176 I changed it but no luck getting it working.

Im using a rtl8187b based usb on snow leopard 10.6

The usb is recognized in system profiler but the damn blue crab closes immediately after I launch the app

• 1 month later...

OK, dudes.. Why all of advisors don't speak about one important thing- You MUST dont simply replace ONE ID by ANOTHER!!!! YOU MUST know in system profiler HEX ID and translate it to DEC.. And after that replace CORRECT number in ID string!!! To translate there are many tools.. And one simple official tool- Calculator in MAC Applications Folder...