Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

I love the mouse, and I really want to buy it. Now I use a mighty mouse (wired) because I didn't have bluetooth. Now I found a compatible bluetooth dongle (according to the OSX86 wiki, it's plug and play) and I was wondering if the Magic mouse will work with a external bluetooth dongle on OSX86? If that is the case, I will buy it :).

I am interested in it too.

In the wiki, for 10.6.0 (there are no entries for bluetooth in 10.6.1), there are those reported:

Asus USB-BT21 Mini Bluetooth Dongle - Apple wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse working out of box, no patch

Linksys USBBT100 - Tested + working with Mighty Mouse (A1197) and Morotola H550 headset.

No mention of Magic Mouse...

I am interested in it too.

In the wiki, for 10.6.0 (there are no entries for bluetooth in 10.6.1), there are those reported:

Asus USB-BT21 Mini Bluetooth Dongle - Apple wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse working out of box, no patch

Linksys USBBT100 - Tested + working with Mighty Mouse (A1197) and Morotola H550 headset.

No mention of Magic Mouse...

I bought a Belkin F8T017ng (100m) range, worked out of the box with SL, detected a neighbours mobile phone

across the street.

I've ordered a magic mouse, quotes 5-7 days delivery so I'll post back how I get on

steve

If anyone is considering buying a bluetooth adapter get the one apple recommends, the D-Link DBT-120 (Rev B2)

I believe this is the only adapter that supports system wake via bluetooth, other than the built-in bluetooth modules in Macs.

-Stell

Following a Windows 7 install I created a fresh SL repair/test drive on an old 120GB drive - full manual install

Sleep working with above Belkin BlueTooth device on Giigabyte EX58-UD5 f9e bios

Sleep auto and via apple menu, wake on keyboard & mouse :wacko:

Everything else working Lan, Bonjour, CI/QE, TimeCapsule etc

Magic Mouse still in the post so not tested with that yet

regards

Steve

LocusOfControl,

can you check if wake from bluetooth is available in your Control Panel/Bluetooth/Advanced Settings. Since upgrade to 10.6 the option is grayed out for me -- I've tried my DBT-120 on two different 10.6 machines

LocusOfControl,

can you check if wake from bluetooth is available in your Control Panel/Bluetooth/Advanced Settings. Since upgrade to 10.6 the option is grayed out for me -- I've tried my DBT-120 on two different 10.6 machines

Yes it is greyed out here as well, I have a wired keyboard and wireless mouse at the moment so there are

no bluetooth mice or keyboards associated with my computer. I'll check when my magic mouse arrives.

steve

I suspect that wake from bluetooth will not work -- apple changed something in the 10.6.x kexts and it appears the kernel no longer recognizes DBT-120s as supporting wake from sleep. Ideally we need someone with a real macpro to see what DBT120 supports

I suspect that wake from bluetooth will not work -- apple changed something in the 10.6.x kexts and it appears the kernel no longer recognizes DBT-120s as supporting wake from sleep. Ideally we need someone with a real macpro to see what DBT120 supports

I Purchased a generic bluetooth dongle from argos and it worked out of the box with no drivers needed on my Powermac G4. I used it to connect to Mighty Mouse And Wireless Apple Keyboard, plus it was only £6.99.

I am running 10.4

Magic mouse arrived today, very nice and shiny in it's little plastic case and padded cardboard box.

Almost a shame to open the box and use it

It does work including the two finger swipe feature, this works in things such as iPhoto etc but also in Safari so that you don't need to hit the back or forward button. The trick is not to press the mouse hard but rather just gently stroke and tap it.

Seems to move pretty well, the friction from the sliders on the bottom of the mouse feels rougher than say a logitech but there is an advantage in that when doing swiping it doesn't slip, it feels like they will 'run in' after a few days wear

There is also a screen magnify mode by pressing ctrl finger up down

I did notice when I updated the software the other day it broke sleep when no mouse was connected. There are a lot of kext changes here. Sleep doesn't work for me anymore

I assume that  this maybe because the bluetooth isn't reported as built in?

I didn't find it uncomfortable to use, just need to position your hand further to the back of the mouse than usual so that your wrist lies on the desk (which I guess is good)

Updated

Steve

I did notice when I updated the software the other day it broke sleep when no mouse was connected. There are a lot of kext changes here. Sleep doesn't work for me anymore

I assume that  this maybe because the bluetooth isn't reported as built in?

that would be a huge letdown. try to wake the system with another usb mouse and see if that works as expected.

Please share your experiences!

that would be a huge letdown. try to wake the system with another usb mouse and see if that works as expected.

Please share your experiences!

To be specific I can send the computer to sleep and in s3 mode it does sleep but my monitor remains black on wake

I tried with usb mouse only, no luck. I was hoping the addition of MM might have had a magic effect and fix it..

It's easy to roll back, keep a copy of /S/L/E before you do the update and then just replace the new /S/L/E contents and run kextinstaller or manually update. Fixed sleep again but unfortunately you wont have MM support.

It may work with another BT card/dongle though - just not mine at the moment although prior to running the update

the BT dongle did sleep with mobile phones associated etc so I think it may be the update - it will be interesting to see

what 10.6.2 brings

steve

ugh thats dissapointing.

I really hope to have both sleep and a full working magicmouse.

hmmmmm You guys are both on a EX58-UD5 - but might not be related to that. hmm

I know!

I'm going to do some more testing and see if I can pinpoint exactly what is causing the problem...

Interestingly on my 10.5.8 install (with Magic Mouse driver installed) sleep works fine. In 10.5.8 the momentum scroll isn't supported I wonder if the driver for this in Snow Leopard could be responsible!?

Cosmin Petre are you on Snow Leopard or regular Leopard?

I have two installs on different disks, 10.6.1. and 10.5.8 both with cham rc3 and sleepenabler.kext

After installing Magic Mouse software on 10.5.8 everything continues to work well. On 10.6.1, sleep doesn't work after MM install (goes to sleep but hangs on wake)

No sleep here too.

Haven't rolled back yet - momentum scroll is just too good to miss out on!

Hoep there's a fix or workaround soon.

FYI I'm using a DBT120 dongle

Thanks for that :( , good to know changing the dongle won't fix things so I won't worry myself trying to find a DBT120

would be interesting hear what real Mac Pro owners without the built in Bluetooth option discover when they use the Magic Mouse with a usb Bluetooth dongle. I. e. if there is support for such a configuration.

Anyways, I will have to wait a few more days for my mouse -- would be cool if you guys continue to post your discoveries. ;)