(GUIDE) P5KPL-AM Install guide, Near perfect!

potter 1984

53 posts in this topic

Hello all,

After much trial and error, i have finally made a near perfect guide for the P5KPL-AM Mobo.

Bios settings

BIOS USED 0506

Change ATA/IDE config to : SATA

Change PLUG&PLAY OS : Yes

Change Suspend mode to : S3

and ACPI 2.0 : Enabled

Essentials

1). It is ideal to have two physical drives (not two partitions on the same drive) or, at least, another Mac system to work from.

2). One drive must already have OS X installed and running.

This may mean using another Mac or installing a iDeneb as this works great with this board

3). Partition your "Snow" drive in Disk Utility using the GUID Partition Table (in Options button).

4). An 8GB USB stick / Flash key.

5). A retail Snow Leopard install DVD (Not the upgrade ver).

How to ...

1). First Download all the files attached with all the files needed, including a DSDT.aml complied for this exact mobo.

2).To make the USB Boot key,

To do this we need to format the flash key as a GUID partition using Disk Utility on your "Other" OS X install.

After you have formatted the USB stick, you will need to add the bootloader from the Downloaded file attached.

So click the Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg choose to install to the usb stick. After that click "Customise" and uncheck all the Themes & Kexts, we will be using our own. Then install.

After that you will need to use the show all files app in the Tools folder of the download i provided. Once shown, open your USB key via finder and delete the old boot file and replace with the one i have provided.

Then you will need to go back to the disk utility, click the restore Tab and selecting Mac OSX Install DVD as the image and USB Flashdrive as the destination, be sure 'Erase' Destination' is uncheck then click restore.

After this is done (20-30mins), you can transfer the "Extra" folder from the download file to your USB key in / (Root).

**IMPORTANT**

You Must change the apple.com.boot.plist file to suit your set up.

Add this in the middle...

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

To boot into 32 bit as 64 bit has no Lan. I'm still trying to find a 64 bit .kext for RTL8169E.

Now this is done reboot using your USB stick and on the install screen choose, disk utility again, and partition your Snow drive as GUID. Close the disk util, and continue the install leaving all defaults on.

After a successful install, you will need to boot into your previous Mac system, before starting snow for the first time.

Once in the old Mac Os, you need to run the bootloader again but this time installing to "Snow" drive but again make sure you *do not* install the extra kexts, uncheck at customise. Then again copy over the boot file to snow's root as before.

Then copy Extra over to the root of "Snow" drive.

3). Now you can boot into your SL partition, using -v to check for errors.

4). Now use disk utility to repair permissions on the snow drive.

5). Once inside Snow leopard you will need the Drivers for the LAN and Audio. Also copy your DSDT.aml onto the root of snow.

Just run the .pkg's for the Drivers and restart. Then you should have a fully functional setup.

Also remember to edit PlatformUUID to include your own UUID from the Snow leopard Partition.

i welcome any Questions or comments, and sorry no pics!!

Bootloader.zip

Drivers.zip

Extra.zip

Tools.zip

I have try it. It work. Thnaks !

But the Extra/Extension is full package? I found that i make the Extensions,mkext no sound in SL.

Hello,

The sound is installed as a .pkg meaning just double click, install and reboot.

What do you mean is Extra/Extensions is a full package??

Thanks for the feedback, am I'm glad it's working for you to!!

hi,

Copy Extensions.mkext back to \Extra directory. the sound work now. awesome !

Btw, do you know which graphic card support SL ? My 6800LE only display 1280x1024. But my ideneb 10.5.5 max. 1900x1200. Even I have put the EFI string in com.apple.boot.plist the max. in SL. The resolution only 1280x1024. any idea?

Hello,

The sound is installed as a .pkg meaning just double click, install and reboot.

What do you mean is Extra/Extensions is a full package??

Thanks for the feedback, am I'm glad it's working for you to!!

Hi,

I get a kernel panic while booting first time from the USB Key. I attach an image about that.

I updated the bios to 0506.

I formatted the usb key GUI

I installed camaleon

I added the boot file

I restored the SL on the boot key whit erase destination uncheck and copied extra folder

I didn't set the Efi string in the apple.com.boot.plist file, is it the fault? that's why i get the kernel panic booting from the USB K??should i obtain the efi string?

this is my boot.plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>7</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<key></key>

My hd:

Asus P5KPL-AM intel core duo 2800

Gforce 9800gt

4gb ram

2 x HD Sata

Help me please..

Thanks a lot

post-512173-1256408706_thumb.jpg

Hiya,

yes you need the video card efi string added,

Hi,

i get my efi with nvcapmaker but still does'nt work..

what's wrong with my .plist??

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>7</string>

<key>04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000</key>

i'm sorry i'm bit newbee

thanks

Hi,

i get my efi with nvcapmaker but still does'nt work..

what's wrong with my .plist??

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>7</string>

<key>04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000</key>

i'm sorry i'm bit newbee

thanks

Hello,

You can use OSx86 tools to get the EFI string for your graphics card, or search the Forums "how to add EFI string, Graphics" and a whole host of guides will "pop up".

The string you have their looks too short, mine takes about 7-8 lines up not just one.

This methord Defiently works as i use it!!, This info also goes into the com.apple.boot.plist, Looking at yours only the graphics string looks wrong, when that is correct im 100% sure that your graphics will work.

Kind regards,

Rich.

Hiya,

Only use USB keyboard and mouse. Not PS/2.

Also check that legacy USB is on in the bios settings.

Safe,

Rich.

hi, thanks for your quick reply. I was able to solve it . I installed kext files (voodoops2controller and appleacpips2nub) which I got from this forum and put them in extra/extensions folder and have installed the drivers you have included and added efi strings using osxtools for my graphics card.

everything is working except sleep and shutdown. (will try to look for answers in this forum)

My specs are:

Asus P5kpl-am se

core 2 quad 8400

2 gb ddr2

512 mb 8800gt

dvd ide drive

2 500 gb sata ( 1 for 10.5.8 and the other for snow)

All I can say is thanks very much for this quide. Will try to update it to 10.6.1 and see if it works .

just one more question, your last line in this quide says:

'Also remember to edit PlatformUUID to include your own UUID from the Snow leopard Partition'

How do I go about doing this? thanks again.

raul

hi, thanks for your quick reply. I was able to solve it . I installed kext files (voodoops2controller and appleacpips2nub) which I got from this forum and put them in extra/extensions folder and have installed the drivers you have included and added efi strings using osxtools for my graphics card.

everything is working except sleep and shutdown. (will try to look for answers in this forum)

My specs are:

Asus P5kpl-am se

core 2 quad 8400

2 gb ddr2

512 mb 8800gt

dvd ide drive

2 500 gb sata ( 1 for 10.5.8 and the other for snow)

All I can say is thanks very much for this quide. Will try to update it to 10.6.1 and see if it works .

just one more question, your last line in this quide says:

'Also remember to edit PlatformUUID to include your own UUID from the Snow leopard Partition'

How do I go about doing this? thanks again.

raul

Hi raul,

In my guide you dont need these two .kext files, and sleep works plus everything else including keyboard, i suggest you take out those two kexts, and use a different keyboard, as i cannot help with what i haven't tested yet.

Aslo search "How to edit PlatformUUID" in the search, thats how i found it!!,

Try things for your self first then ask for help when it is near impossible to do, you will get much better support from everyone if they can see you have tried your dam hardest befor giving up!>

Cheers.

hi rich,

I followed your suggestions and replace my ps2 keyboard with a usb one and removed the kext I added

. I repeated the installation but still, sleep and shutdown does not work. If I press sleep I can no longer

wake the pc. If I shutdown the pc won't power off by itself. One thing that I notice

in my procedure. I had to install chameleon first in my snow drive before installing snow.

the reason is "waiting package receipt" just sits there indefinitely.

What if I compile my own DSDT will it help? coz our mobo's are not 100% identical. I have a P5KPL-AM SE

while you have a P5KPL-AM.But I have to learn first coz i don't know anything about dsdt.

hope you could still help. thanks 

raul 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate.

I have just got a system working on this board with help from your guide.

A couple of things I have noticed, the framebufferdisabler.kext you included - probably unnecessary, I think it might have had something to do with 10.6.2 update problems I get with 8400gs, I've removed it and 10.6.1 runs perfect, will try 10.6.2 again later.

Also unlike the other board I've used the bios (5.11) (not using altered DSDT at present) contains some scope info for CPU (E5400) so it runs fine without nullcpupowermanagement.kext, I put that back though as I hear CPU may run hot without it, interesting though.

I'm using voodooHDA (works quite well, get latest with volume control on this site) instead of the Azalia drivers you included, not sure if they rely on DSDT patch but they don't work for me.

Its a shame about the network card driver, my other board's card shows as 8169e (really 8111) and works without kexts in 10.6, I reckon there must be a solution somewhere.

Cheers

I HAVE MB ASUS P5KPLAM-SE + SATA HD + ATA LG DVD DOUBLE LAYER, I TRIED TO BOOT USING REBEL EFI, EMPIRE EFI, AND OTHERS BOOT CD , AND SNOW LEOPARD RETAIL DVD, BUT AS SOON I I SELECT TO BOOT TO INSTALL , SYSTEM GET BLACK SCREEN AND GET STOPED... ANY IDEA ????

I HAVE MB ASUS P5KPLAM-SE + SATA HD + ATA LG DVD DOUBLE LAYER, I TRIED TO BOOT USING REBEL EFI, EMPIRE EFI, AND OTHERS BOOT CD , AND SNOW LEOPARD RETAIL DVD, BUT AS SOON I I SELECT TO BOOT TO INSTALL , SYSTEM GET BLACK SCREEN AND GET STOPED... ANY IDEA ????

Did you use chameleon boot loader?? with EFi string for your graphics card in the com.apple.boot.plist???,

Have a good read through the forums the answers are their, you just need to search for them! :-)

Also a detailed description of what you actually did would help a lot!.

Rich,