Justaviet's G5 Hackintosh

justaviet

15 posts in this topic

I've been working on my G5 Hackintosh case mod for a while and I finally got some of the work done. I'm going for the purest approach I can think of.

Here's a little sneak preview of my work so far.

I put an 650 Watt ATX PSU into the G5 PSU casing.

DSCN0134-1.jpg

DSCN0136.jpg

I cut a G5 motherboard and placed a mATX board in place with some hot glue haha.

Now the soldering begins... hopefully everything works out the first try.

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

I will be using all original fans and many of the original case parts.

I'll update again probably in a week since this computer resides at my parents home and I just don't have time or space at my duplex to work on it. College is too time consuming :(;;

I've been working on my G5 Hackintosh case mod for a while and I finally got some of the work done. I'm going for the purest approach I can think of.

Here's a little sneak preview of my work so far.

I put an 650 Watt ATX PSU into the G5 PSU casing.

DSCN0134-1.jpg

DSCN0136.jpg

I cut a G5 motherboard and placed a mATX board in place with some hot glue haha.

Now the soldering begins... hopefully everything works out the first try.

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

I will be using all original fans and many of the original case parts.

I'll update again probably in a week since this computer resides at my parents home and I just don't have time or space at my duplex to work on it. College is too time consuming :);;

Wow, that is the craziest G5 mod I've ever seen. I would have never thought of doing it like that. Very original, sir.

-Stell

Thank you for the nice comments :]

At the moment, I'm waiting for a few new parts to come in before I continue this project.

I'm hoping to have a full functioning rear port with bluetooth, wifi, and even the modem.

I'm also looking into incorporating a sound module to produce the apple start up chime when the power button is pressed.

The final specs should be somewhere around this:

Q8200 2.33GHz

8GB 1066 DDR2

9800 GTX+

2x 1TB 7200 rpm

Thank you for the nice comments :]

At the moment, I'm waiting for a few new parts to come in before I continue this project.

I'm hoping to have a full functioning rear port with bluetooth, wifi, and even the modem.

I'm also looking into incorporating a sound module to produce the apple start up chime when the power button is pressed.

The final specs should be somewhere around this:

Q8200 2.33GHz

8GB 1066 DDR2

9800 GTX+

2x 1TB 7200 rpm

Hey justaviet, I was thinking the same thing as well for the start up chime a while ago. It really wouldn't be that hard to wire a sound module up to the power button. I figured you could hack one of those voice recorder reminder things. The ones they sell in infomercials.

Later,

-Stell

Stell, I've found several cheap sound modules so it's definitely a possibility. One thing that really interest me though is connecting it to the internal speaker which is on one of the original fans and or the audio out to the speakers. I don't know where the sound comes from yet, but after I find out, I'll probably find a way to amplify the signal and send it through one of those 2 sources.

I'm definitely sure we can make something work without too much difficulty.

-Justaviet

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got some time to work on the G5 a little.

At this point, everything I've been doing to it is getting sloppier :(;;

I'm seriously hoping that the motherboard still works at this point, seeing that I don't have a anti-electrostatic bracelet or didn't bridged any of the components while soldering.

This update:

-wired the front ports (thank you for the pin out diagrams)

-ethernet port

-toslink in

-modem

-audio in

-audio out

Things left to do:

-wire all case fans

-wireless n card (pending shipping)

-bluetooth (pending shipping)

-internal speaker

-1394b (need to order pci-e firewire card since I don't have enough internal firewire bus)

The rest of the installation is just standard procedures with minor modifications to the G5 pci-divider to clear the north bridge and ram.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish up all the soldering next weekend and gather enough money to order the CPU, heat sink, graphics card, RAM, hard drives, and the superdrive.

DSCN0160.jpg

A friend send this topic.

My first reaction was.. some glue ? wht's stupid idea.

In fact, it was a very good idea, exept the day if you whant to change the motherboard (pc).

Keep all the connectors, solder under the pc card, you think different, and it a pure good idea.

Continue in this way...

Send more pics, and i've one question :

Why don't you use some connectors between the (G5 LogicBoard) and the (PC MotherBoard), and fix the (PC motherboard) with some 'racks' adaptator.

Can you give all the pinout of the connectors you have soldered ?

A very good job man.

I understood that by setting the motherboard in with glue would make it semi-permanent, but I didn't really plan on changing it much once I finish it so it seemed like the best route. The hot-glue can be removed quite easily and another motherboard can be set and soldered in place.

Well the only reason why I didn't put connectors between the motherboard and the G5 motherboard is because I didn't see a need to change the motherboard out so the connectors would be an excess step. By rack adapters, do you mean using some kind of clip to hold the PC motherboard to the G5 motherboard?

I haven't gotten to test the connections past continuity, but as soon as I plug in the rig and diagnose any problems with the connectors, I'll draft the pin out connections.