AVCHD iMovie 09 import crash

InspectahM

8 posts in this topic

Like a few other people, I am unable to import AVCHD video from my camera into iMovie 09 under 10.6.1. This was an issue with Leopard as well, but was corrected with an AppleSMBIOS.kext replacement.

I am assuming that since most installs of Snow Leopard are using a SMBIOS.plist file, that the AppleSMBIOS.kext fix doesn't really apply anymore. I was hoping someone else might be have this same problem, and hopefully some solutions.

Setup:

SL 10.6.1 (Chameleon RC3 Boot)

nForce 750i mobo

Intel Core 2 Quad

This is the final problem I am having with an otherwise picture-perfect installation.

• 2 weeks later...
Like a few other people, I am unable to import AVCHD video from my camera into iMovie 09 under 10.6.1. This was an issue with Leopard as well, but was corrected with an AppleSMBIOS.kext replacement.

I am assuming that since most installs of Snow Leopard are using a SMBIOS.plist file, that the AppleSMBIOS.kext fix doesn't really apply anymore. I was hoping someone else might be have this same problem, and hopefully some solutions.

Setup:

nForce 750i mobo

Intel Core 2 Quad

This is the final problem I am having with an otherwise picture-perfect installation.

I'm having an identical issue, also on 10.6.1 and iMovie '09 and an AVCHD camera (Canon HG10).

SL 10.6.1 (Chameleon2 RC1 Boot)

Asus P5K mobo

Intel Q6600

From other threads I've read, the problem seems specific to trying to import AVCHD from a removable volume; however, I've been unable to verify this. In fact, I've archived camera footage to a folder on the boot drive, and iMovie still crashes trying to import from it. It doesn't do this when you try and Import a movie, only when you try to import AVC from a camera or camera archive. So for me at least, it doesn't matter what volume the files are on; importing AVC leads to the error no matter what.

The error in console is:

Error getting a reference to /options

com.apple.iMovie exited with exit code: 1

Incidentally I booted into my Leopard partition (10.5.6) and now it does the same thing on the same version of iMovie (8.0.4). So perhaps this isn't just an SL issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Setup:

nForce 750i mobo

Intel Core 2 Quad

The same problem here as well, any ideas yet?

Hackintosh:

Maximus III Gene - i7 860 - Snow leopard 10.6.0 - iMovie 09

Camcorder:

Canon HF20

This was annoying I just thought I got everything setup and running and now this! Oh well...

The same problem here as well, any ideas yet?

Hackintosh:

Maximus III Gene - i7 860 - Snow leopard 10.6.0 - iMovie 09

Camcorder:

Canon HF20

This was annoying I just thought I got everything setup and running and now this! Oh well...

Bump. Same problem need a fix!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Has anyone figured out this yet?

Really need this to work

I am running Chameleon with vanilla Snow Leopard.

Hey, I've been working on this for a couple weeks. I've tried different Macpro SMBIOS kexts, modifying smbios.plist all sorts of ways...nothing worked UNTIL the new chameleon RC4 boot loader came out with support for recognizing CPUs properly (sorta). I have a core2quad but for the first time (after installing chameleon 2 rc4), OSX sees my processor as "Quad Xeon" instead of "Unknown" and now AVCHD import works just fine and dandy

• 2 months later...

This problem is commmon - reading through this forum in its entirety looking for a solution, I've seen a lot of (pardon me) misinformed answers to the issue.

The problem is with Final Cut Pro, Express and iMovie being able to retrieve IOOptions.

It first manifests like so in /var/log/system.log and boot message

localhost DumpPanic[41]: Error getting a reference to IODeviceTree:/options

Here is a link to what Apple has to say about what this is: http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/qa/qa2001/qa1120.html

iMove 09 (8.0.4/8.0.2) most likely exits with:

: Error getting a reference to :/options

exit code: -1

Then the RADPlug framework, "find / -name 'AVCHD.RADPlug' has an identical problem, only this time around it is quiet about it

iMovie 8.0.4, 8.0.2 and other iMovie 09 products intend to retrieve the SD-CARD/P2 card directly from cameras, attached devices as well as "Retrieve from Camera Archive" though they try to iterate and detect SD-CARD insertion into the OS, as well as does Log and Transfer of Final Cut Express 4.0/4.0.1 and Final Cut Pro 6.0.6

The AVCHD.RADPlug code is a mistery to me, as I have over 20 different versions that Apple has released over time most likely to resolve issues with different vendors MTS Layouts and AVCHD Lite etc... Not a single one retrieved has an identical MD5 Checksum to the next, from iMoive, Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express - these were all unpacked from Apple's updates using Pacifist 2.0.

MD5 (./PlugIns_603_ProApps_Update_2008-01/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = 775685b19aedeb130849754617e671c4

MD5 (./PlugIns_604_ProApps_Update_2008-02/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = d51b1d0808946db15493e976528a5921

MD5 (./PlugIns_604_ProApps_Update_2008-03/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = 1a733a789d51dc21f2a2bd05dadc3696

MD5 (./PlugIns_605_ProApps_Update_2008-04/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = d5ca815b5c6b5f418fbca3571793c9a8

MD5 (./PlugIns_606_FromWorking_Install_After_606Update/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = a68c65bf6bae315f304b56d4d4bd41dd

MD5 (./PlugIns_FINAL_CUT_EXPRESS_401_UPDATE/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = 4314049ea4440ee48964a64ed03b97e0

MD5 (./RADPlugins_iMovie710UPDATE/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = c51545f56f4225778ef6a451a8db1472

MD5 (./RADPlugins_iMovie711UPDATE/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = 534c849f3a6fb72e8d0b37b5121fdaa3

MD5 (./RADPlugins_iMovie712UPDATE/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = 5b7f86ddbbe7987f8ceb23843d995c01

MD5 (./RADPlugins_iMovie714UPDATE/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = 354b6858b80aa03bd16582ffec652c61

MD5 (./RADPlugins_iMovie802UPDATE/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = c732c7b93150c717faee9d88d76f652e

MD5 (./RADPlugins_iMovie806UPDATE/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD) = 3c37d05166f943dbf0428cdb2e9b6343

However the only thing that made (and not in a complete way) iMovies version scan the card image instantly and FCP time out for about 10 minutes then allow me to read the first card and add others was to take out the Disabler.kext from my OS X 10.5.8 install which would allow for IODeviceTree to be further populated.

On a side note, I have a Macbook Pro 1,1 to test with, so the AVCHD RADPlug does not require a Xeon, Quad or even SSE4,1 instructions to operate, however I think it can and will try to use them, so if for any reason your OSX 10.5/10.6 install is confused about

1. Kernel Bit-ness - Most real world Core2Duo installs run in 32 bit mode, most OSx86 installs run in 64bit mode, and I cannot seem to force my OSx86 10.5.8 to force itself to 32bit with an E6850 proc.

2. Access to Suplemental SSE3 and SSE4,1 and SSE4,2 features for AVCHD decoding

3. Ability to traverse through the IODeviceTree (which iMovie 09 and FCP Log and Transfer do)

Then you'll get stuck with AVCHD. - FCP's RADPlug and Log and Transfer does not exit, it waits, if you wait with it you might get a positive result.

More about RADPlug archetecture, it seems that you can copy/paste and replace these at will, so try different ones from the Apple iMove/FCP update packages.

They Are in /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/PlugIns/

in iMove in /Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/RADPlugins

The iMovie 09 RADPlugs can add extra ProRes features to Final Cut Pro 6 (7 has them) and are completely portable between each app

So first try to upgrade/downgrade your AVCHD.RADPlug and see if it makes it operate, if its the :/options error, this will show up not only in iMovie but in anything trying to traverse :/options

iMovie09 is a good litmus test to having this completely fixed in OSx86 10.5/10.6 as I've built my box just to transcode AVCHD quickly into ProRes.

To further describe the problem, its the thumbnailing and enumeration of clips .MTS files and media detection that is an issue, past that a currently compiled AVCHD.RADPlug will transcode it into AIC or ProRes without problems.

In some posts users obseved another conflict message with a method in the P2.RADPlug interfereing with AVCHD.RADPlug, I've not seen this on a real Mac. But removing the P2.RADPlug does not get rid of the problem.

From the operation side, it looks the the RADPlugs and PlugIns (not Plug-Ins) directory gets searched and loaded by FCP and iMovie, so it really matters not what the plug-in is named.

However I urge anyone using FCP for AVCHD and trying to fix this to examine Disabler.kext and examine App/Perf information output by FCP.

As soon as I find a reliable solve, I'll report.