Dell Vostro 1510 with 10.6.1 PERFECT except sleep!

25 posts in this topic

SNOW LEOPARD INSTALL PERFECT : Dell Vostro 1510!!

okay so i haven't gotten sleep working, but ive gotten:

-sound to work using voodoohda and having it load at login, aswell

-ive gotten the trackpad to work using voodoops2controller and by deleting the apple prefpane for trackpads, and replacing it with this other one, and then opening it and setting the desired options (appears to be working :o )

- for video simply set a kernel flag as GraphicsEnabler=Yes. (just use the com.apple.Boot.plist i supplied) --> QE/CI ENABLED

-for the broadcom wireless simply install the IO80211Family.kext I supplied. even works with kismac!! (no injection tho)

-for the battery use the Voodoobattery.kext (too bad battery only gets like 2-3hrs)

-don't forget the DSDT!!

To do this I simply restored the Snow Leopard DMG to my flashdrive and installed Chameleon RC3 to it aswell, then added the dsdt, kexts, etc to the Extra folder, and then booted off the USB. Finally after that I used the usb once again to boot into the actual Snow Leopard install, and did the same thing again... Install the kexts to /System/Library/Extensions/, and the rest of the files to their necessary locations.

all these supplied in the zip file :) ENJOY :D

credit goes to those who made the kexts, and me for a couple mods

Download: **NEW LINK**

****THESE ARE ALL x32 ONLY****

edit: just posted my dsdt for those of you having difficulty

edit2: just updated the link with a better put together collection.

edit3: if any of you can get the DSDT.aml patched i'd  appreciate it, I so far haven't needed to use it, but it may fix reboot/shutdown

edit4: SLEEP NOW WORKS : just delete NullAppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and AppleHPET.kext and reboot :D

dsdt.dsl.zip

Edited by oldinsanelymacuser32

Could be my connection then, the page no avaliale appears after the download is starting messagem, I´ll try again later, also, the DSDT.dsl file can be used in the Extra folder or I have to convert it to DSDT.aml? I try to use some Patchers but it give some errors for me, can you post the aml file?

Could be my connection then, the page no avaliale appears after the download is starting messagem, I´ll try again later, also, the DSDT.dsl file can be used in the Extra folder or I have to convert it to DSDT.aml? I try to use some Patchers but it give some errors for me, can you post the aml file?

LOL! i thought it was supposed to be dsl!! and mine still worked!!... well anyways try it yourself....it should work

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For those who have this installed on their 1500s, what BIOS settings did you use? I am loading Snow Leopard from a USB stick and get a message that I need shut off and restart the computer before the installation starts. Does anybody have a screen by screen list of the changes that need to be made?

• 1 month later...

(Im using Vostro 1510 with x3100) I'm having trouble with trying to enable sleep.

Whenever I sleep (I deleted the three kexts) it works. But when I 'wake' either the display dims and nothing works except for mouse movement. Or the cursor turns into the circular rainbow and spins forever so I reboot.

-Also I don't know how or whether to use the dsdt.dsl file.

-And I am having a load of trouble with the com.apple.Boot.plist file.

The battery says 100% no matter how much time there is estimated, when the arch=i386 is present in the .plist. I read in another post something about other .kexts -like disabler.kext...etc. Do I need these?

Thank you so much!

FreeHack

• 4 months later...

Hey,

got a little Problem:

I recovered Snow Leopard tomy USB Stick and added the 'Extra' folder including all the provided files. Also installed Chameleon to the Stick. Then I set my BIOS to AHCI and booting from Removable Devices primary. Now it coninues telling my that no Operating System was found. What did I do wrong?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
Hey,

got a little Problem:

I recovered Snow Leopard tomy USB Stick and added the 'Extra' folder including all the provided files. Also installed Chameleon to the Stick. Then I set my BIOS to AHCI and booting from Removable Devices primary. Now it coninues telling my that no Operating System was found. What did I do wrong?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Michael

i also have this problem, any help?

should i make the usb stick active or something?

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this - I've been trying for a couple of weeks to get 10.6.3 onto my 1510 with varying degrees of unsuccess. Best I managed so far was to complete the install, but on the subsequent reboot into OSX proper the laptop hung with the apple logo and the spinning circle. Tried with -v -x but there are no errors. It all looks good and then just stops and sits there.

I think it's because it's trying to boot into 64 bit mode, because I haven't had a chance to edit the boot.plist and change it to 32 bit. The tutorial I followed said to do this after it had booted to the desktop for the first time - but I never get that far. Reading what you have written here has cleared a few things up and given me some ideas. Also encouraging that it can be done on the 1510.

Time for another play this evening

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this - I've been trying for a couple of weeks to get 10.6.3 onto my 1510 with varying degrees of unsuccess. Best I managed so far was to complete the install, but on the subsequent reboot into OSX proper the laptop hung with the apple logo and the spinning circle. Tried with -v -x but there are no errors. It all looks good and then just stops and sits there.

I think it's because it's trying to boot into 64 bit mode, because I haven't had a chance to edit the boot.plist and change it to 32 bit. The tutorial I followed said to do this after it had booted to the desktop for the first time - but I never get that far. Reading what you have written here has cleared a few things up and given me some ideas. Also encouraging that it can be done on the 1510.

Time for another play this evening

Thanks

Hey LoftyL, am about try installing 10.6 on my Vostro as well. My video is an Intel Chipset, but we've got the same basic machines. Any pointers/tips/issues you've run into before I begin my own personal journey down the painful road to having OSX installed on this puppy?

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

Is this post still going? Did any of you guys sort out an easy way to get snow leopard installed on a 1510 ?

Thanks!

I managed to get iAtkos S3 v2 installed and finished. I got to the point where the machine booted to the Apple Logo Screen, and I could hear the startup music, but no video :/

I am guessing I have missed something to do with the video drivers. Any help much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I gave up for a few months. But have now got my Vostro 1510 partially working

Installed using the Empire EFi bootloader

I had to use an external monitor as I only got half a screen on the LCD. Also needed external mouse and keyboard. But the install was trouble free. It now boots into SnowLeopard 10.6.3 and having deleted the AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext files I can use the LCD.

The update to 10.3.7 worked seamlessly, although it didn't fix any issues (luckily didn't create any either)

Just remains to sort out the sound, wireless and keyboard/trackpad

Management is out next Weds evening so I'll have time to play :-)

Got my WiFi working

I booted the laptop in Win 7 (it's usually a win 7 machine until I swap hard disks and turn it into MacOS) and looked in device manager at the hardware device ID of the Wireless card - which in my case was 4315.

Then use a terminal window as superuser (su -) to browse to /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortB4311.kext/Contents and edit the info.plist adding an extra line for 4315 (it's obvious when you see it)

Clear the kext cache from /System/Caches by rename com.apple.kext.caches to com.apple.kext.caches.old, and then reboot. After that the wireless adapter showed up in AirPort utilty and once set up it all works nicely (although the wifi LED doesn't work)

Just need to sort out Sound, Keyboard and Mouse, and ideally to get a better choice of display resolutions available.

Result!!! After wasting sevaral evenings and trying endless kext combinations for my x3100 video card (and lots of Kernel panics), I think I've finally realised where the problem lies.

I had assumed it was a driver issue. With the AppleIntelGMAX3100xxxxx drivers installed I could only use an external monitor. The LCD showed half the screen with the rest shifted off to the left. By deleting said drivers from System/Library/Extensions I could get the LCD to work but only in 1024x768, which looked pants.

Then it occured to me that if the x3100 drivers worked for an external monitor, then basically they worked ... period! The issue had to be with the LCD hardware on the Vostro.

I stumbled across a post on a another forum (can't recall which one) where a chap had the same LCD issue with Intel x3100 (Although he was using a totally different laptop (Toshiba)). He reckoned he'd fixed it with a custom dsdt.aml and had made it available for download. I took a chance and put it in my /Extras folder and rebooted. It took ages to boot, and I nearly gave up waiting, but then, oh joy, the LCD popped into life with the OSX login screen in glorious 1400x900. x3100 drivers loaded properly and all the proper resolutions were available, although it had defaulted to the highest anyway.

It also took ages to shutdown again, so I'm guessing that there were some unneccessaryToshiba stuff in the dsdt which was delaying startup/shutdown on my Dell.

Anyways I now know it can be done, so I just need to find a dsdt that works. I'll try the one Jason Parks posted, and I found another one specifically for the x3100 which I can also try.

Also got the battery monitor working (VooDoobattery.kext) - interestingly it packed up when the Toshiba DSDT was installed, which was another clue that the Toshiba DSDT was screwing up some of my hardware detection.

Got sound working (voodooHDA.kext). Sounds alright to me, but perhaps I'm going deaf.

Once I have the DSDT sorted, it's just the Keyboard and Pad - Hopefully I've saved the easy bit till last - Haha.

• 1 month later...
Result!!! After wasting sevaral evenings and trying endless kext combinations for my x3100 video card (and lots of Kernel panics), I think I've finally realised where the problem lies.

I had assumed it was a driver issue. With the AppleIntelGMAX3100xxxxx drivers installed I could only use an external monitor. The LCD showed half the screen with the rest shifted off to the left. By deleting said drivers from System/Library/Extensions I could get the LCD to work but only in 1024x768, which looked pants.

Then it occured to me that if the x3100 drivers worked for an external monitor, then basically they worked ... period! The issue had to be with the LCD hardware on the Vostro.

I stumbled across a post on a another forum (can't recall which one) where a chap had the same LCD issue with Intel x3100 (Although he was using a totally different laptop (Toshiba)). He reckoned he'd fixed it with a custom dsdt.aml and had made it available for download. I took a chance and put it in my /Extras folder and rebooted. It took ages to boot, and I nearly gave up waiting, but then, oh joy, the LCD popped into life with the OSX login screen in glorious 1400x900. x3100 drivers loaded properly and all the proper resolutions were available, although it had defaulted to the highest anyway.

It also took ages to shutdown again, so I'm guessing that there were some unneccessaryToshiba stuff in the dsdt which was delaying startup/shutdown on my Dell.

Anyways I now know it can be done, so I just need to find a dsdt that works. I'll try the one Jason Parks posted, and I found another one specifically for the x3100 which I can also try.

Also got the battery monitor working (VooDoobattery.kext) - interestingly it packed up when the Toshiba DSDT was installed, which was another clue that the Toshiba DSDT was screwing up some of my hardware detection.

Got sound working (voodooHDA.kext). Sounds alright to me, but perhaps I'm going deaf.

Once I have the DSDT sorted, it's just the Keyboard and Pad - Hopefully I've saved the easy bit till last - Haha.

Finally - It's all working. I spent hours trying to fix my half screen problem and followed countless how-to's about creating DSDT's and setting Dsiplay EDID. Eventually I came across a post regarding setting the LCD display EDID, which had a sub note about the AppleDualLink setting in the DSDT. I decompliled my proper (original) DSDT to a dsl, added the code into the correct place, recompiled to aml, stuck the newly compiled DSDT into /extra and rebooted. Bingo. Perfect display!!

Put the VoodooPS" kexts in place, which got the trackpad and keyboard working (" and @ are transposed but that's not a big deal for now)

Tweaked the IO80211xxxxx.kext to add the device ID of my wireless card (covered in other posts), rebooted with -f to flush the cache. Wireless then worked perfectly

Only none working thing is the SD card reader, which seems to be a common problem and I'm not that fussed.

Otherwise works perfectly, boots up in under 60 seconds, shuts down in about 10 seconds

As my laptop is almost always on mains power, I have disabled the power saving options which avoids the sleep issues.

BTW - I thought I'd try the update to 10.6.8 (currently 10.6.3). I took a full system backup with time machine first, and then allowed the updater to do it's stuff. HUGE mistake on two counts: first the upgrade caused all sorts of issues (broke the wireless, and everything was really slow with the beach ball constantly popping up). So I was quite happy to revert to my backup. Doh - Time Machine detects the system type when you try to recover and declares that you have the wrong hardware type. So I had to rebuild from scratch. Now I know what needs to be done it only took an hour though.

Many thanks to everyone who has posted information about this. It got me there eventually.