PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard for ASUS P5Q & ASUS P5Q-E

Using the 132Mars or 132Jupiter boot disc method

by IanT

UPDATED ON JANUARY 20, 2011 @ 9:04PM PST

.:Latest Info:.

1. I'm BACK!

UPDATED ON JANUARY 10, 2010 @ 11:21PM PST

1. I am still in the midst of finalizing the new dual-boot guides, so please be patient while I add the final touches.
  2. Updated 132Mars and 132Jupiter image files, listed below.

Updated 132Jupiter-011010-WOS.ISO.ZIP, which is available here 6.8MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mnyzfmbmgdj

Updated 132Mars-011010-WOS.ISO.ZIP, which is available here 1.47MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zjzmwnczhyz

END UPDATED SECTION

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 15, 2009 @ 11:32PM PST

1. I am still in the midst of finalizing the new dual-boot guides, so please be patient while I add the final touches.
  2. I will release the updated 132Mars and 132Jupiter boot discs soon; please note that dsmos.kext has been removed.
  3. I have updated the ASUS P5Q Guide, and have finally released the ASUS P5Q-E Guide; see below for details!

Updated ASUS P5Q Guide by IanT - 20091115, which is available here 9.87MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?iige50xduig

New ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 20091115-2, which is available here 9.87MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5mgomji3yyh

Revision History for ASUS P5Q Guide by IanT - 20091115:

November 15, 2009

• Added Table of Contents
  • Removed outdated InsanelyMac link from Disclaimer
  • Updated Appendix B; replaced digital pictures with screen captures
  • Updated Appendix D
  • Updated list of kexts included in 132Mars, 132Jupiter, and Marsbooter Shell Script

1. AHCIPortInjector.kext (with ICH10 D/D0 and ICH10R device-ids added by IanT)

2. AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

3. AppleVIATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 and 88SE6145 support)

4. ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

5. fakesmc.kext (version 2)

6. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

7. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

8. OpenHaltRestart.kext

9. PlatformUUID.kext

10. VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Revision History for ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 20091115-2:

November 15, 2009

• Added Table of Contents
  • Update/Flash BIOS (found and corrected filename and version of ASUS P5Q-E ROM)
  • Removed outdated InsanelyMac link from Disclaimer
  • Updated hardware configuration information
  • Updated Appendix B; replaced digital pictures with screen captures
  • Updated Appendix D
  • Updated list of kexts included in 132Mars, 132Jupiter, and Marsbooter Shell Script

1. AHCIPortInjector.kext (with ICH10 D/D0 and ICH10R device-ids added by IanT)

2. AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

3. AppleVIATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 and 88SE6145 support)

4. ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

5. fakesmc.kext (version 2)

6. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

7. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

8. OpenHaltRestart.kext

9. PlatformUUID.kext

10. skge.kext (with Marvell 88E8001 support)

11. VoodooPS2Controller.kext

END UPDATED SECTION

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 6, 2009 @ 4:06AM PST

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the delay in updating this topic... So here's what's in store for the near future!

1. Updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc, with Netkas' PC EFI v10.5
  2. Brand New 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc based on Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 cdboot (as opposed to ISOLINUX)
  3. An updated marsbooter shell script (currently in beta), which has an option to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 to the EFI partition!
  4. A few new guides!

- ...Detailed info from the list above... -

Updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc, with Netkas' PC EFI v10.5

The updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc will contain the following:

* ISOLINUX v3.83

* Netkas' PC EFI v10.5

* AHCIPortInjector.kext

* AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

* AppleVIAATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 & 88SE6145 support)

* dsmos.kext

* fakesmc.kext (version 2)

* IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

* LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

* NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

* OpenHaltRestart.kext

* PlatformUUID.kext

* VoodooPS2Controller.kext

The updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc will have the following removed:

* DSDT.AML from /Extra and INITRD.IMG/Extra

The updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc will have a modified com.apple.Boot.plist:

* Graphics Mode will be set to 1024x768x32 (if you would rather have 1280x1024x32, please let me know)

* The PCI-E slot kernel flag override will remain at -pci0 (if you have an issue with graphics, re-create the disc and use -pci1 instead)

Note: since dsdt.aml is not present, automatic PCI-E slot detection and configuration will not function.

Introducing 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc based on Chameleon 2.0 RC-r658 cdboot

What's new in 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc?

* Based on CDBOOT as opposed to ISOLINUX; this equates to better compatibility with a wide variety of motherboards (e.g., Intel D945GCLF/D945GCLF2D, etc.)

* Has PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse support (for them peeps who don't have USB a keyboard or mouse)

* Contains the following kexts:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

dsmos.kext

fakesmc.kext (version 2)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

* The com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra will have the following options set:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

* The com.apple.Boot.plist in Preboot.dmg/Extra will have the following options set:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -pci0</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

The OPTIONAL settings in com.apple.Boot.plist in BOTH locations are:

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>rd(0,0)/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>rd(0,0)/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

Use the optional settings above if you customize your 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc! This ensures that either file gets loaded... :)

* Unfortunately, when you install SL with 132Jupiter-IanT, you will encounter the "Install Failed" message -- But just ignore it and reinsert the 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc, and boot the new SL install, and then use the marsbooter script to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.5, and all will be great! The "Install Failed" message has something to do with the installer not being able to bless the volume... (weird, i know...)

* Does not produce the EBIOS errors, as previously mentioned in my topic and countless others...

* It does produce the following error/message: "no ramdisk config", however you can safely ignore that.

* Verbose mode is enabled by DEFAULT, so that if you run into an error or problem you have a better chance of figuring it out!

* Your mileage may vary, this boot disc may work for you or it may not!!

* You should customize the 132Jupiter-IanT disc to your rig!

* Release date for 132Jupiter-IanT > In the next two days! So, no later than November 8, 2009!

As for the beta marsbooter shell script with an EFI install option and the new guides, those will be out by next weekend!!

If any of you have any comments or suggestions, or things you would like to see in the guides or the boot discs, please let me know!

Peace,

IanT

END UPDATED SECTION

UPDATED ON OCTOBER 16, 2009 @ 12:02AM PST

It's time for clarification of what this guide is and what it's actually geared for... :rolleyes:

Who is the intended audience for this guide?

This guide is intended for users who have an ASUS P5Q Intel Motherboard and a Core 2 Duo based processor, such as the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400.

What are the system specs of the guide built upon?

The system specs is as follows:

ASUS P5Q Intel P45 Chipset LGA775 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz Wolfdale Processor

Patriot Viper Series (2x2GB) 4GB 1066MHz PC-8500 Memory

eVGA GeForce GTS 250 Superclocked 1GB Graphics Card - (based upon the EVGA 9800GTX+)

Seagate 7200.11 ST3500320AS Barracuda 500GB

Sony OptiArc DVD-RW AD-7240S

Netgear GA311 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Adapter

Netgear WG311T Super-G Wireless PCI Adapter (supported only under 32-bit, atheros based)

Recent changes to system specs:

Patriot Viper Series memory was replaced with Kingston HyperX (4x2GB) 8GB 1066MHz PC-8500 memory

Netgear WG311T Super-G Wireless PCI Adapter was replaced with an ASUS WL-138G V2 802.11b/g 54mbps Wireless PCI Adapter; which is supported in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes, and is based upon the broadcom 43xx chipset.

Can this guide be adapted to work with a system spec that differs from the above specs?

Yes, this guide can definitely be adapted to work with other system specs, so long as the motherboard remains as the ASUS P5Q Motherboard. As a reminder, you will need to find all relevant kexts that your substituted components need, in order for them to function correctly under SL.

I have an ATI Radeon HD48xx graphics card, can I use this in lieu of the eVGA GeForce GTS 250 SC 1GB as listed above?

Yes, you definitely can... However, you will need to make use of Netkas' PC EFI v10.4 and LegacyATI4800Controller.kext, which you need to edit to include your device-id in Info.plist. Some users have reported issues using the SUPPORT files with an ATI Radeon graphics card, hence why I'm trying to get my hands on one!

If I have a problem, can I request your help for determining the problem and implementing a solution and/or workaround?

You can definitely reply to this topic and request help from myself and from other members who have used this guide. If however, you find an issue with any of the components of the guide and its support files, please notify me immediately so that I can remedy the issue quickly.

If I left something out, please let me know your question, so that I may answer it.

Future Releases:

1. New PDF Guide for Dual-Booting SL + Win7
  2. New PDF Guide for Dual-Booting SL + Windows XP SP3
  3. New PDF Guide for ATI Radeon HD48xx Based Graphics
  4. New boot-132-mars for Nvidia Based Graphics, based upon Netkas' PC EFI v10.4
  5. New boot-132-mars for ATI Based Graphics, based upon Netkas' PC EFI v10.4
  6. New marsbooter script that adds an option for installing the Chameleon bootloader to the hidden EFI partition

Peace,

IanT

END UPDATED SECTION

marionez,

Restart/Shutdown are confirmed to work as expected.

I don't use sleep or deep sleep -- But I can test it out I suppose.

I'll update this topic again after my tests...

Peace,

IanT

What about reboot/shutdown/sleep?

Some trouble here. I'm running 10.6.1 on MBR with chameleon rc3.

Let me know, thanks.

excuse me, but I wrote marsbooter.sh

instead of criticizing what I wrote, why don't you suggest a solution to fix the problem?

I don't know who wrote marsbooter.sh but when I launched it wanted to install bootloader on disk0s2 (where I've got WinVista) instead of the right disk: disk0s1 where SL is installed, so pay attention ;)

marionez,

That's a better attitude...

I will rewrite the script.

PS. In the future, if you do see a potential problem, suggest a solution rather than attack and/or criticize the person who authored said topic.

I'm not a manteiner of everything on this site... ;)

Maybe would be safer if you keep disk choose from user keyboard, instead of keeping from diskutil output... as you wish.

You can even use both methods and user can choose between automatic and manual method for $currentdiskident.

I'm not a manteiner of everything on this site... ;)

Maybe would be safer if you keep disk choose from user keyboard, instead of keeping from diskutil output... as you wish.

You can even use both methods and user can choose between automatic and manual method for $currentdiskident.

marionez,

Understood.

I've created a preliminary script... It's NOT pretty... unfortunately.

It's too long and convoluted... but I think it gets the job done...?

This beta script won't do anything except echo back out the steps it's performing.

Can you take a look? It's attached...

IanT

I would just signal that, it was a feedback report, I said "I don't know who wrote" because I didn't really know if I was speaking to the author or not ;)

marsbooter_choice_beta.sh.zip

Thanks, works great!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there an easy way to use this bootloader for a Snow Leopard + Windows 7 Dual boot? I installed Snow Leopard and this bootloader via the marsbooter.sh script which worked fine... but then after installing Windows 7 on it boots straight into Win7 (I can still boot Snow Leopard by using the boot-132-mars disc, but not the bootloader)

Jasonxo,

It sounds like you installed SL first and then Win7?

If that's the case, the Win7 install overwrote the Chameleon boot0 on the MBR of the disk.

If you want to get Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 reinstalled, you should be able to re-run the script from within SL. BUT, let me verify this before you do. I updated the script and need to make sure that the automated/manual install work for a two partition volume.

Peace,

IanT

Thanks, works great!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there an easy way to use this bootloader for a Snow Leopard + Windows 7 Dual boot? I installed Snow Leopard and this bootloader via the marsbooter.sh script which worked fine... but then after installing Windows 7 on it boots straight into Win7 (I can still boot Snow Leopard by using the boot-132-mars disc, but not the bootloader)

Jasonxo,

No problem.

Yeah, it sounds like the old script is installing it to the wrong partition.

Gimme some time, and I'll post the new script. Hopefully, I'll include steps on dual-boot with Win7.

:censored2:

Peace,

IanT

Thanks for the reply, yeah I installed Windows 7 after Snow Leopard.

I tried re-running the marsbooter.sh included on your disc but it still seems to boot straight into Windows 7.

UPDATED ON OCTOBER 4, 2009 @ 2:00AM PST

I noted a while ago that I never tested sleep, and so I did just that over the weekend and found that it didn't work.

I believe it didn't work because NullCPUPowerManagement.kext was loaded and it obviously disables AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext. It just so happens that AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext is a requirement for native sleep... I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I've been reading...

Then I found SleepEnabler.kext, and it works like a charm.

In BIOS set the following options under the Power menu:

Suspend Mode = S3 only

Repost Video on S3 Resume = No

ACPI 2.0 Support = Enabled

ACPI APIC Support = Enabled

Please bear in mind that I have only one video card to test with, and that's the EVGA GeForce GTS 250 Superclocked 1GB PCI-E via GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Graphics came back up without incident, and the system is behaving normally.

Peace,

IanT

END UPDATED SECTION

SleepEnabler.kext introduces some unwanted side-effects...

I found that there's a downside in using SleepEnabler.kext. The system does go to sleep, however, upon wake, you cannot restart or shutdown.

Perhaps this is a known issue, or even a fix...? Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

SleepEnabler.kext - Failed Workarounds

I've tried disabling Legacy USB - that doesn't work

I've tried disabling EHCI hand-off - that doesn't work

I've tried removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - that doesn't work

I've tried using boot flags -arch=i386 -x32 - that doesn't work

I even booted with -v -arch=i386 -x32, but I can tell that it issues "MACH reboot", but the system just hangs there -- doesn't do anything, power is on, fans are spinning.. but nada, zip, zilch.......

It's a little frustrating... anyone got any ideas??

Restart after Sleep a known issue...

So apparently, restart after sleep is a known issue -- I am going to comment out SleepEnabler.kext from marsbooter-p5q.sh.

I've also tried marionez's AppleHDA.kext that is suppose to fix restart/sleep/shutdown, but it doesn't seem to be working on my rig.

If anyone has any other ideas, please send me a message or reply back!

Peace,

IanT

It *was* supposed to be... that was written for 10.5x and it was, that's not so on SL, there's something else to check for, but I don't really know what.

I don't use sleep either, but it could be useful when you forgot your pc powered on... ;)

marionez,

Thank you for the clarification!

Yeah, I don't use sleep either, but I have been trying to get a fully working SL install... Everything else works, except for sleep and restart/shutdown after sleep.

Maybe someone will figure it out!

:D

Thanks again,

IanT

It *was* supposed to be... that was written for 10.5x and it was, that's not so on SL, there's something else to check for, but I don't really know what.

I don't use sleep either, but it could be useful when you forgot your pc powered on... :)

Just wanted to say many thanks for this, I stumbled on your CD from another thread, and it's eventually got me Snow Leopard on my P5Q/Q6600/8800GT w/4gig of RAM, just a bit more testing and Ill install it as my main OS over 10.5.8, but just wanted to say thanks very much for a very clear and concise guide mate, Ill buy you a metaphysical pint coz you deserve one!

forster,

Hey no problem! I'm glad it worked out for you!

Yeah, I think someone posted the link to my CD in another thread...

I'm actually trying to find a solution to the no restart after sleep issue... Still no fix. But I will find one!

Thanks for the pint!

Peace,

IanT

Just wanted to say many thanks for this, I stumbled on your CD from another thread, and it's eventually got me Snow Leopard on my P5Q/Q6600/8800GT w/4gig of RAM, just a bit more testing and Ill install it as my main OS over 10.5.8, but just wanted to say thanks very much for a very clear and concise guide mate, Ill buy you a metaphysical pint coz you deserve one!

UPDATED ON OCTOBER 6, 2009 @ 3:00AM PST

Updated BOOT-132-MARS-IanT ISO image file...

ISO Image Changes:

1. File name has been changed from Boot-132-Mars-IanT-092909.iso to 132MARS-IanT-20091006.iso
  2. To save time and bandwidth, the ISO image file has been compressed from 64MB down to 20MB
  3. MARSBOOTER has been updated, see Marsbooter Guide in SUPPORT/MARSBOOTER - in short, marsbooter-p5q.sh is meant for the ASUS P5Q, and it has two options; automated and manual

PDF Changes:

1. PDF has been included in the ISO image file under /SUPPORT/PDF GUIDES
  2. Small changes to text formatting
  3. Changed/Remove unnecessary information under boot-132-mars section
  4. Added PDF Revision page to end of guide, which lists the revision date and time.

This new ISO image file has not been tested with a clean/fresh install of SL. If you encounter an issue, please contact me or reply to this topic immediately so that I may provide a speedy resolution.

You can grab the UPDATED 132MARS-IanT ISO image file from here - 19.48MB:

132MARS-IanT-20091006.iso.zip

END UPDATED SECTION