Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

Safe to upgrade to 10.6.8.

Updated Kext Pack on Jul 1 per this post

Use Software Update to get 10.6.8. You will also need to download the kext pack here and place them in /System/Library/Extensions. Use Kext Utility to repair permissions and restart.

Update instructions courtesy of iFabio: 10.6.8 Update Post

Mirrors for kext pack: Rapidshare, FileServe

Looking for a Lion installation guide? Courtesy of Fabio: [GUIDE] Lion on Asus X58 LGA 1366 i7 9xx, Lionize & Recrendae

Hello everyone!

It's been a long time since I updated this guide and I apologize for that. Fortunately I believe that installation is much easier now than it used to be. Anyone with access to a Mac should be able to get this system up an running after only a few clicks.

Preparation

You're going to need a few obvious bits for this installation. They are:

• OS X Snow Leopard Installation DVD
  • 8GB Flash Drive (or larger)
  • P6T SE based Intel Core i7 System with 0908 BIOS HERE

And you'll also need some software:

Place all of the downloaded files into a folder. You'll need these in a bit.

Original Link to iFabio's post with kexts and DSDT files

HERE

Getting Started

See below for BIOS settings. You may want to change those before starting this process.

Because the installation is going to be restored to a flash drive, the first thing you need to do is format the flash drive. Open up Disk Utility and format it using the GUID partition scheme and HFS+ file system (this is selected by default usually). Make sure to give it a name (preferably a short one that's easy to type as you'll be using it later). See screenshots below:

46568829.png

95615821.png

After you've formatted your flash drive you'll need to restore the Snow Leopard DVD to it. Insert your Snow Leopard DVD and open up Disk Utility. Here you'll select Mac OS X Install DVD from the list and click the Restore tab. Then click and drag "Mac OS X Install DVD" to the source text box and your formatted flash drive volume (here it's called Installer) to the destination text box. Uncheck Erase Destination then click Restore.

29587408.png

This process takes a while so if you've got something else to do, you might as well do it. It took about an hour for my MacBook to do. Faster flash drives will make this process quicker.

Booting the flash drive

NOTE: USE THE LATEST VERSION OF CHAMELEON. I KNOW THESE SCREEN SHOTS ARE OLD.

In order to make the flash drive bootable in your computer you'll need to install Chameleon RC5. This package is vital in tricking OS X into thinking it's running on real Mac hardware so it will boot. Unzip the package and double click it.

chameleon1.png

You'll go through the usual steps and select "Change Install Location":

chameleon2.png

chameleon3.png

Select the flash drive that you restored the OS X DVD to:

setup1p.png

Select additional options like a theme if you want it to look nicer (otherwise you get a black command prompt-esque screen):

setup2.png

And let the install run:

setup3v.png

setup4.png

setup5.png

setup6.png

setup7.png

setup8.png

In order to be able to boot the installation you're going to need to do a few more things. First, you need to put the files you downloaded earlier into the "Extra" folder that was created for you on the flash drive by the Chameleon RC5 installation. Double click the flash drive and open the Extra folder:

disc1y.png

disc2.png

extra1p.png

Create a new folder called "Extensions":

extra2.png

extra4.png

Copy the two kext files you downloaded earlier to the Extensions folder:

extra5.png

Then copy over DSDT.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist:

extra6.png

extra7.png

The last step is to repair permissions and create a kext cache file. This is what Kext Utility is for. Drag the Extensions folder to the Kext Utility icon and it will take care of the rest:

extra8.png

extra9.png

After you've completed these steps, you're done! Now you should be able to boot your flash drive and install OS X!

Installation

I strongly encourage you to set your OS X drive as the first in the boot list in your BIOS. It makes things a lot easier.

If you've already installed OS X on any machine you'll be familiar with the setup. Apple makes it easy anyway.

Ideally you should completely power down your computer. This guide assumes that you're installing to a SATA hard drive and that you've configured it as either AHCI or RAID in your BIOS (yes, you can use RAID but not a drive or drives in an array). Turn your computer on and press the F8 key until you get a message about BBS popup. This will let you select your boot device. You want to choose the thumb drive that you prepared in the earlier steps. You should now see the Chameleon boot loader screen. Select your thumb drive (here it's Installer) and type -v and press enter. Now you'll see a wall of text and if something goes wrong it can help us pinpoint the problem. If everything goes smoothly you'll see the first of several installation screens for OS X. Make sure that you use Disk Utility to format your destination HD as HFS+ and use the GUID partition scheme! Select any languages you may want, printer drivers, etc and install. It should take about 30 minutes.

Post Installation

After OS X is finished installing it will prompt you to reboot your computer. In order to get into your newly installed OS X, you will need to make sure that you boot from your flash drive again. The retail installation does not have the necessary kexts or proper boot loader to allow you to boot straight into OS X. Using the F8 trick, boot to your flash drive but this time select your Snow Leopard installation. I recommend using the -v flag again in case there is an error or kernel panic. Knowing this information will help us troubleshoot if something goes wrong. The initial boot may take a bit longer than you'll normally see. Within a few minutes (it shouldn't take more than 5) you'll be welcomed with the introductory video. YAY! ;)

So, you've arrived to your beautiful new OS X desktop. There's a few things you need to do right away. First you need to establish a permanent booting option so you don't have to keep using that flash drive (unless, of course you want to).

You have a few options:

1. Boot from system partition
  2. Boot from EFI partition
  3. Boot from external medium (i.e. USB, CF, SD, etc)

System Partition

If you would like to install the Chameleon RC5 boot loader to the system partition (the main one that you see active when running your computer), copy the Chameleon RC5 installation that you used earlier to the desktop and run it like you did before, but make sure that it's set to install to the default location (the hard drive you just installed OS X on). I like to install the themes too, but it's not necessary...they just look nicer.

EFI Partition

I'll update this later. It's similar to the above step but you have to create an EFI partition on your hard drive. There's a script included in the old installation package that will do this for you, but you need to replace the kextsm DSDT, and plist files with the revised ones from this updated tutorial.

Boot from external medium (i.e. USB, CF, SD, etc)

This is the method I prefer because of the way my system is setup. Booting this way allows for a very easy multiboot setup if you have other OSes installed. Use a small thumb drive, CF card, SD card, or whatever you like, and format it using GUID partition scheme and HFS+ filesystem (exactly like you did with the flash drive for the OS X DVD restore). Then all you need to do is run the Chameleon RC5 installation on that drive and copy over the files in the exact same manner you did to the flash drive before you installed OS X.

Now you can reboot your computer and enjoy your new Snow Leopard installation. If you want sound, continue below.

---------Sound---------

You probably want your sound to work too. This is an easy fix.

Download this modified AppleHDA kext -

Now you'll want to copy that to /System/Library/Extensions/

The last step is to double click and run Kext Utility. It will repair permissions and generate a new kext cache file. Reboot and you're done.

---------Sleep---------

Sleep doesn't work on it's own for some reason. For a solution see this post:

---------BIOS Settings---------

Here are a couple images of my BIOS settings.

You should match your BIOS settings to these:

cpuconfig.jpg

sleepzf.jpg

These are my overclock settings if anyone is interested. They are not crucial to running a stable Snow Leopard installation. I don't recommend using these settings with the stock cooler. You should have a good aftermarket air cooler or liquid cooling setup to be safe:

oc1s.jpg

oc2b.jpg

---------ENJOY---------

That's it. You should have a working OS X installation.I also recommend reading the rest of this thread starting about about page 35. There's a lot of good information that I've probably left out. It may prove useful if you're having issues.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the old guide for archival purposes:

Safe to update to 10.6.4:

*UPDATE 12/7/2009*

At the bottom you'll find instructions on how to update to 10.6.2 as well as a much improved DSDT.aml file (many thanks to Bchemist).

Hello fellow P6T SE users. The goal of this guide is simple---get you up and running with a vanilla (no modifications to the system components essential to OS X like the kernel) installation. It's relatively simple, but can be a bit time consuming for a first time user.

First and foremost I literally cannot take credit for anything you find in this guide. All information, patches, and other important stuff came from other users and other places which I will attempt to document to the best of my ability. If anyone sees an error with the information provided please do not hesitate to inform me and I will do my best to correct it as soon as I can.

So, having said that let's get on our way!

Preparation

You're going to need a few things for this installation. They are:

Getting Started

Note: If you've gone into your BIOS and disabled Hyper Threading and additional cores, you can go back in and enable them. The included DSDT.aml file is already patched for 4 cores + HT.

Because the installation is going to be restored to a flash drive, the first thing you need to do is format the flash drive. Open up Disk Utility and format it using the GUID partition scheme and HFS+ file system (this is selected by default usually). Make sure to give it a name (preferably a short one that's easy to type as you'll be using it later). See screenshots below:

46568829.png

95615821.png

After you've formatted your flash drive you'll need to restore the Snow Leopard DVD to it. Insert your Snow Leopard DVD and open up Disk Utility. Here you'll select Mac OS X Install DVD from the list and click the Restore tab. Then click and drag "Mac OS X Install DVD" to the source text box and your formatted flash drive volume (here it's called Installer) to the destination text box. Uncheck Erase Destination then click Restore.

29587408.png

This process takes a while so if you've got something else to do, you might as well do it. It took about an hour for my MacBook to do.

Booting the flash drive

By now you should have your Snow Leopard DVD restored to your flash drive. The next step is to make it bootable. That's where the attached essentials come in handy. Open the folder and run "2_Boot Prep." This script installs Chameleon 2 RC3 to the drive, generates the kext cache with all of your essential kexts, and places it, com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist, and DSDT.aml in the necessary places on your flash drive.

47504024.png

34015832.png

14053797.png

61288059.png

Once that's finished you're ready to boot the Snow Leopard installation!

Make sure that you drag a copy of the P6T SE Essentials folder to the thumb drive before removing from your Mac. You'll need to copy this folder to your new Snow Leopard installation in a half hour.

Note: If you use one of the newer ATI Radeon HD4xxx cards you may want to replace the boot file on the thumb drive with the EFI 10v3 boot file included in the essential folder. MAKE SURE TO RENAME IT TO "boot" BEFORE REPLACING THE EXISTING boot FILE.

Installation

I strongly encourage you to set your OS X drive as the first in the boot list in your BIOS. It makes things a lot easier.

If you've already installed OS X on any machine you'll be familiar with the setup. Apple makes it easy anyway.

Ideally you should completely power down your computer. This guide assumes that you're installing to a SATA hard drive and that you've configured it as either AHCI or RAID in your BIOS (yes, you can use RAID but not a drive or drives in an array). Turn your computer on and press the F8 key until you get a message about BBS popup. This will let you select your boot device. You want to choose the thumb drive that you prepared in the earlier steps. You should now see the Chameleon boot loader screen. Select your thumb drive (here it's Installer) and type -v and press enter. Now you'll see a wall of text and if something goes wrong it can help us pinpoint the problem. If everything goes smoothly you'll see the first of several installation screens for OS X. Make sure that you use Disk Utility to format your destination HD as HFS+ and use the GUID partition scheme! Select any languages you may want, printer drivers, etc and install. It should take about 30 minutes.

The Fun Part

So you should have OS X installed now. You're not quite finished though. When you reach the screen that asks you to reboot, do so. However you will need to make sure that you boot from your flash drive again. The retail installation does not have the necessary kexts or proper boot loader to allow you to boot straight into OS X. Using the F8 trick, boot to your flash drive but this time select your Snow Leopard installation. I recommend using the -v flag again in case there is an error or kernel panic. Knowing this information will help us troubleshoot if something goes wrong. The initial boot may take a bit longer than you'll normally see. Within a few minutes (it shouldn't take more than 5) you'll be welcomed with the introductory video. If everything worked correctly you'll also get sound! Continue setting up your user account and filling in the necessary information.

Once you have reached the desktop you'll want to copy over the P6T SE Essentials folder to the desktop.

Right now you have a choice to make regarding how your computer boots from now on. They are:

1. Boot from system partition

2. Boot from EFI partition

3. Boot from external medium (i.e. USB, CF, SD, etc)

System Partition

If you would like to install the Chameleon RC3 boot loader to the system partition (the main one that you see active when running your computer), open the Essentials folder and run "3_Loader." Follow the on screen prompts, making sure to type "N" when asked if you want to install to the EFI Partition.

87956180.png

EFI Partition

If you would like to install the Chameleon RC3 boot loader to the EFI partition (something used on real macs, but not hackintoshes), open the Essentials folder and run "3_Loader." Follow the on screen prompts, making sure to type "Y" when asked if you want to install to the EFI Partition.

89998027.png

80212109.png

Boot from external medium (i.e. USB, CF, SD, etc)

This is the method I prefer because of the way my system is setup. Since I have a RAID0 array that I run Windows from, I can't conveniently dual boot operating systems if my boot loader is run from a hard drive. I simply can't run it on my array, and I get errors trying to do so from the OS X hard drive. Since I had a spare CF card lying around I decided to install the boot loader to that. Doing so allowed me to set Windows as my default OS and still easily boot to OS X when I need to.

Step 1)
Format your boot medium GUID Partition Scheme. Format it as HFS+.

Step 2)
Run "External Medium Booter" from the P6T SE Essentials folder.

26397485.png

Step 3)
Configure your BIOS to boot this medium first. The P6T SE BIOS can boot from pretty much any external medium.

After you've prepared your system to boot, you're done! Enjoy OS X.

10.6.2 Update Guide

Updating to 10.6.2 is very easy and can be done in a few short steps. Please follow them carefully. Failure to do so may require you to reinstall everything.

1) Download the

2) There are a few included files you need to modify before applying the update. They are: com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist.
Instructions on what to modify are in the Boot.plist.rtf and smbios.plist.rtf files (respectively).

bootc.png

smbios.png

To find your UUID for the boot.plist file and build your mkext cache, use Kext Utility (kills two birds with one stone!). Drag the Extensions folder and drop it on the Kext Utility app:

kextutil.png

Near the top you'll see the information you need to copy and paste into your boot.plist file:

kextutility.png

NOW ASSUMING YOU'VE DONE ALL OF THAT CORRECTLY...

• Click the Apple menu in the upper left hand corner and choose Software Update...

• Show Details when it tells you updates are available.

• Uncheck everything but the 10.6.2 update.

• Click Install.

• When it's ready to install it will inform you that you need to restart the computer. DO NOT RESTART YET

• Replace your existing boot files with the ones from the 10.6.2 Update Package. This is what your new boot device/drive should have:

• /boot

• /Extra/dsdt.aml

• /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

• /Extra/smbios.plist

• /Extra/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/EvOreboot.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

• /Extra/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext (optional)

• /Extra/Extensions.mkext

[*] Once you've replaced the original files with these new ones, you can restart and let the 10.6.2 Update finish. Your computer should reboot running 10.6.2

Credits

This guide was my starting point. The files in the attachment have been customized from those originally in his post for a P6T SE specific install. Link:

Other useful forum links:

Credits for the ICH10R support:

hey tweak, most guides say you have to uncheck "ignore ownership on this volume" after you format the flash drive. Does it apply here?

I thought that applied to the hard drive you install to. Not sure if it matters...

Hello fellow P6T SE users. The goal of this guide is simple---get you up and running with a vanilla (no modifications to the system components essential to OS X like the kernel) installation. It's relatively simple, but can be a bit time consuming for a first time user.

Feel free to update using Software Update. The 10.6.1 Update works perfectly.

Thanks tweak41,

it also works for P6T WS PRO as well. Had to fix and replace DSDT before. The only issue is sound, looks have to check other kext.

Good manual and scripts.

thanks tweak41,

ur guide work with my P6T (normal). use my own DSDT file and it boot.

the problem with my snow leopard is it didn't recognize my ps/2 keyboard & mouse and my network seems to have a problem, i cant online but system recognize my netword card.

will find kext for both of them.

anyway,thanks again.

my 1st snow leopard working system

update:everything works now :wacko:

OMG thanks for the guide i have been wainting for ages!

Will try this this friday.

and which bootloader should i take Chameleon or efi

i have windows 7 2 hard dives and the first one i partitioned for mac os 100 gb should be enough :D

And Awol

could you maybe post the kexts you used as it may not work on other boards thanks!

OMG thanks for the guide i have been wainting for ages!

Will try this this friday.

and which bootloader should i take Chameleon or efi

i have windows 7 2 hard dives and the first one i partitioned for mac os 100 gb should be enough :(

And Awol

could you maybe post the kexts you used as it may not work on other boards thanks!

Chameleon RC3 is good for nVIDIA graphics cards and PC EFI 10v3 is good for ATI. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I would pick based on your graphics card. Either worked fine for me, but I didn't test whether or not the GraphicsEnabler feature worked with my GTX260 with PC EFI 10v3

Hello, I do not speak English, use of a translator, sorry.

Thanks for the guide. I have installed.

But I have NVIDIA GTX 295, not the driver is installed

How do I install the driver?

thanks for the guide, very good job tweak41:)

Hello, I do not speak English, use of a translator, sorry.

Thanks for the guide. I have installed.

But I have NVIDIA GTX 295, not the driver is installed

How do I install the driver?

thanks for the guide, very good job tweak41:)

Try this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/irmtkim2wot/NVGTX295.zip

Hopefully you can figure out the right place to put it. I don't know if you did EFI, System Partition, or External Boot Medium.

The_old_PC

the step are the same as above. if you're using P6T (non deluxe,non se), use my essential pack instead as i compile the kext used for this motherboard.

Hey awol,

I looked at your kexts and there's a couple you can remove. Disabler and DSMOS are unnecessary. I didn't realize until recently that fakesmc v2 takes care of what DSMOS used to do. Also, you really don't need both UUID kexts. If you're going to use PlatformUUID it's necessary to put the UUID of your Snow Leopard boot drive in the info.plist file (Right click, Show Package Contents). Don't know if everyone is aware of that or not.

tweak41, in your p6t se essential you did include disabler and dsmos right? i just add kext from your essential files.

about platformUUID i include because i need it when i use different method to install Snow Leopard. If its not necessary, then i will remove it from my pack.

thanks again.

Try this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/irmtkim2wot/NVGTX295.zip

Hopefully you can figure out the right place to put it. I don't know if you did EFI, System Partition, or External Boot Medium.

Thanks, in the folder there are

-GTX295.plist

-NVGTX295.Fix.kext

-out.hex

installed Mac Retail using System Partition. Where i place the files?

Thanks

Thanks, in the folder there are

-GTX295.plist

-NVGTX295.Fix.kext

-out.hex

installed Mac Retail using System Partition. Where i place the files?

Thanks

You just need to put the NVGTC295.Fix.kext into the kext folder and then run the script that you ran to install to the system partition again. That should take care of it. If not let me know, you may need to add the efi strings to your boot.plist file.

awol, you're correct, I did include those in the pack, but found out afterwards they aren't necessary. I want to upload a small update, but I want to see if I can get 64-bit working first.

Chameleon RC3 is good for nVIDIA graphics cards and PC EFI 10v3 is good for ATI. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I would pick based on your graphics card. Either worked fine for me, but I didn't test whether or not the GraphicsEnabler feature worked with my GTX260 with PC EFI 10v3

OK as i have an ati 4870 hd i will do the EFI version the extra packs in the pack i can keep or do i have to remove them because i dont want to delete something importat

thanks!

OK as i have an ati 4870 hd i will do the EFI version the extra packs in the pack i can keep or do i have to remove them because i dont want to delete something importat

thanks!

You should just have to change to PC EFI 10v3 boot file instead. No kexts were added for any graphics support, it's all done natively through OS X. You may want to check out netkas.org about 4870 support though. I thought I saw something mentioned there about it.

You just need to put the NVGTC295.Fix.kext into the kext folder and then run the script that you ran to install to the system partition again. That should take care of it. If not let me know, you may need to add the efi strings to your boot.plist file.

Hello, I reinstalled Mac, this time using EFI, EFI installed in NVGTX295.Fix, added EFI strings in com.apple.Boot.plist

But only see a 896 MB in System Profiler. Any idea that can happen?

Thank you very much

Forgive my English

Hello, I reinstalled Mac, this time using EFI, EFI installed in NVGTX295.Fix, added EFI strings in com.apple.Boot.plist

But only see a 896 MB in System Profiler. Any idea that can happen?

Thank you very much

Forgive my English

It's probably only seeing one of the cards? I think the 295 is two GTX 260s in SLI on one card. So...I'm not quite sure. You'll have to search. At least I helped you get it working partially (and that only took 3 minutes of quick reading).

It's probably only seeing one of the cards? I think the 295 is two GTX 260s in SLI on one card. So...I'm not quite sure. You'll have to search. At least I helped you get it working partially (and that only took 3 minutes of quick reading).

Hello! tweak41 thanks! thank you for this wonderful guide easy to understand. The GTX 295 graphics already enabled!

Thanks, thanks and thanks.

GTX 295 is double GTX285

this guide is so wonderful that i manage to create a simple installer for snow leopard

thanks again

And the GTX 285 is double the GTX 260 then? So GTX 295 is 4x GTX 260? WOAH! :)

Glad it was simple. That was the goal. I'll be updating it soon (hopefully) with improved kexts and some other tweaks that make it better.