SL 10.6.2 installed on Thinkpad T61

iloveant

12 posts in this topic

I had successfully installed SL 10.6 on a T61 (update to 10.6.2 at 01-20-2010, optimized at 02-14-2010). Thanks for all spending your time to post your experience (success or failure) and step-to-step guide. Without your input, I could not make it. Here I summarized as following, hopefully it would help others too.

Installation

1. Installation by directly opening the OSInstall.mpkg from /System/Installation/Packages on the SL's image, after showing hidden files.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/installing-...kpad-x61-t3735/

With some modifications

1) Boot with Chameleon 2.0-RC3, rather than Chameleon 1.0.12 (which cannot boot)

2) Using updated FakeSMC V2

3) Using a SATA HDD in a ThinkPad Ultra Base running iDeneb 10.5.6, not a working Snow Leopard (try the installation in a working SL, successful too; Install OSX with Windows boot with dual boot will cause loss of the factory backup partition )

4) Did not remove the kexts: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.

5) A suggestion: at the beginning, keep /system/library/extensions untouched. Only load FakeSMC.kext and keyboard trackpoint kext from /extra/extensions to boot. After first boot, install BSD to enable "repair permission". And then Install kexts which cannot be loaded from /extra/extensions by Kext Helper (such as Intel 82566mm.kext, AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and AppleHDA.kext). Finally, move com.apple.Boot.plist from /extra to library/perferences/SystemConfiguration/

In this way, no need to repair permission by using Terminal scripts "chown -R root:wheel and chmod -R 755" and reduce a risk to get kernel panic.

2. Enable "repair permission" in Disk Utility after installation and successful boot

http://www.taranfx.com/blog/?p=1744

3. The EFI boot method of MacLoader_SL kit also works after I replace dsdt.aml in /extra and boot file in the root. However, for some reasons Intel 82566MM.kext can not be loaded from extra/extensions of Chameleon loader in EFI.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183751

A little touch-up after installation

Thanks again for this post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87574

1. Graphic with QE (only work when boot in 32bit, external display support too, but the mirror not works, if happened, use Daniborgs's AppleScript to disable the display mirror)

2. Sound (boot in 64bit or 32bit, using VoodooHDA.kext, but may not work after sleep; boot in 32bit, using AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and AppleHDA.kext)

3. Lan (Intel82566MM.kext, work both boot in 32bit and 62bit, even after sleep), credit to http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/intel-ether...w-anyone-t3829/

4. Keyboard and Trackpoint (using ACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext work both in 32bit and 64bit.

5. SDHC card reader (IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext, only work when boot in 32bit)

6. Battery Management fixer (VoodooBattery.kext)

7. Power off and restart hold fixer (OpenHaltRestart.kext, work boot in 32bit and 64bit)

8. Display brightness adjust (better after replace naive kext with AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext)

9. Force to boot in 32bit (adding "<string>arch=i386</string>" under "<key>Kernel Flags</key>" in com.apple.Boot.plist)

For your convenience, I attached the aforementioned files. Thanks.

Update to 10.6.2 (02-14-2010)

1. Disable old sleepenabler.kext

2. Update to 10.6.2, no sound and lose wireless card

For Wireless

3. Continue "Software update" to update airport client

4. Inject device ID to AtherosFix.kext and IO80211Family.kext (making wireless back)

<string>pci168c,1014</string>

For sound

Strategy 1

5.1 Install VoodooHDA.kext by 64bit Kext Utility, your mic works too, even after sleep.

Thanks for the post (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355&st=0)

Strategy 2

5.2 Reload the AppleHDA.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, sound will be back as in 10.6.1 with injected strings in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Display brightness adjust

6. It will be back to work in 32bit boot if you reload the edited AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext. But you will lost the ability to boot in 64bit (get a blue screen ) due to replacement the Apple's AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.

Sleep (only work in 32bit boot)

Strategy 1

7.1 SleepEnabler.kext (10.6.2 version or 10.6.3 version) work together with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext to get sleep work in 32bit boot.

Strategy 2

7.2 Now I disable NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, SleepEnabler.kext, and use naive AppleACPICPU, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and com.apple.Boot.plist. Sleep work only in 32bit without any kext (no lucky in 64bit sleep, others said it was because of GMAx3100 driver)

NTFS R/W

64bit: NTFS-3G plus Macfuse (64bit version)

(do not enable naive NTFS R/W under 10.6.2, otherwise it will cause NTFS volume corruption and potential data loss)

32bit: Paragon NTFS for Mac

Note:In 64bit boot, sleep and SDHC card reader do not work, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext cause panic occasionally; In 32bit boot, bright adjust do not work well, others are perfectly working.

Attached all files need to update 10.6.2.

If you like, update FakeSMC 2.5 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=210380) and Chameleon 2 RC4 (which enable EFI 64bit)

My T61 description

ThinkPad T61 6465 57U

T7100(1.8GHz 2 MB L2cache)

Intel 965GM chipset family

2G (1X2 1G) PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz

320GB (7200 rpm) HDD 16M

120GB (5400 rpm) HDD 8 M in a ThinkPad UltraBase

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (resolution 1280x900 with QE)

Intel 82566 MM Ethernet

ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter (replaced Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)

T61_6465_SNOW_Leopard.zip

T61_update_to_10.6.2.zip

• 1 month later...

Total noob here, it looks like a lengthy mission to install, but I have a spare sata drive and really want to undertake this project instead of spending 2k on a macbook pro.

3 questions (lmk if i'm overstepping)

1. can i install it on a usb external drive and boot from it?

2. since a bootable external usb drive can boot in any mac, would these

3. what happens when I do a system software update? i'm assuming it would break.

Sorry for tardy reply.
1. can i install it on a usb external drive and boot from it?
2. since a bootable external usb drive can boot in any mac, would these

Yes, you can.
3. what happens when I do a system software update? i'm assuming it would break.
Update to 10.6.1 no issue at all. However, if you update to 10.6.2, sleepenabler.kext have to be deleted or unloaded. Or you can try use sleepenabler.kext especially for 10.6.2. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466)

By the way, after update to 10.6.2, wireless card cannot be detected and sound lost. Right now, I only update Safari and stick to 10.6.1 for a working wireless, sound and perfect working sleep,

is the sleep work for you? thank you for your guide. i may try

Yes, sleep works perfect, even automatically works after you close your screen.

• 1 month later...
I had successfully installed SL 10.6 on a T61 (update to 10.6.1 from Apple too).

I have a T61 with similar specs but I just can't get Snow Leopard to boot. After installing via 10.5.6 it gives me the message "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power Button until it turns of, then press the power button again". Any tips or idea's what I could have screwed up? I followed your steps as well as various other guides but can't get it too boot up.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Try booting with -v to see what the error message actually is. I had this problem initially as well and it was caused by AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. I originally deleted that kext but since then I found one from netkas.org that seems to fix it. In the post from August 11

To the original poster:
I am having a problem with sleep, though. Even using the files listed here my T61 refuses to wake up from sleep. It trys, but it seems like it only gets about halfway (HD turns on, etc) but the sleep indicator half-moon stays on forever.

Any ideas how I can get my sleep working, or how I might find out what the problem is? I don't remember seeing any discussion of this in the X61 installation thread.

• 2 weeks later...

So originally I used my own Snow Leopard installation, trying to modify it to fit the guide. Today I decided to try out a whole new install, following the guide as best I could.

Still, I can't seem to get the sleep working. I'm hoping it could be something having to do with the BIOS settings...

iloveant: It would be really helpful if you could give a little more details about your install. Which kexts are in /Extra and which are in /S/L/E, and anything else you might remember. I'm using all the files you posted, but still I can't get it to wake from sleep properly.

Just delete the kext file /System/Library/Extensions/

By the way, please try this new version of VoodooHDA. It will make your mic working well.

Thanks for the post (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355&st=0)

Can you tell me what is inside of VoodooHDACrackleFix.pkg? And how can I uninstall it?
After installed that package I got my sound about 20% of maximum volume.

Which kexts are in /Extra?
/Extra
dsdt.aml
smbios.plist

/Extra/Extensions/
Fakesmc.kext
smbios.plist

which are in /System/Library/Extensions
VoodooHDA.kext
OSXRestart.kext (for restart and power off)
IOSDHCBlockDevice.kext
VoodooBattery.kext
Atherosfix.kext

SleepEnabler.kext work together with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext to get sleep work in 32bit boot. However, it will cause panic occasionally. Now I disable NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, SleepEnabler.kext, and use naive AppleACPI. Sleep work only in 32bit without any kext (no lucky in 64bit sleep, others said it was because GMAx3100 driver)

For the sound in 32bit boot, reload the AppleHDA.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, sound will be back as in 10.6.1 with injected strings in com.apple.Boot.plist. Display bright adjust control also will be back to work in 32bit boot if you reload the edited AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext. But you will lost the ability to boot in 64bit (get a blue screen ) due to replacement the Apple's AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.

I am having a problem with sleep, though. Even using the files listed here my T61 refuses to wake up from sleep. It trys, but it seems like it only gets about halfway (HD turns on, etc) but the sleep indicator half-moon stays on forever.

Exactly the same problem with T60p. I've tried all fixes I could find and still no luck. Desperately looking for some help here.

• 3 months later...

@loveant Thanks for he great guide..

I have found many of the things you have done work for me on my N200. Your VoodooHDA works perfect for me. Where did you get it? Did superhai make it for you?

Unlike you I have x3100 graphics and I'm not sure if thats why I cant get sleep to work but everything I have tried has failed. My system will go to sleep if the lid is closed or I tell it to go to sleep but it will never wake up. I have to restart then.

Any help you can lend me would be great.

See here also: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;?do=findComment&comment=1474367

Thanks

00D

• 7 months later...

Thank you for this great information.

That is amazing you got display dimming working.

I've done a similar method as yours using iAtkos to install SL 10.6.3, on my x3100 thinkpad T61 (some T61's have ATI graphics, which seems to break sleep).

Working:
sound with internal mic - with your voodoohda (thank you!!!)
sleep
video - with simiilar EFI string to yours, and similar x3100 kext
vga out - but not mirroring
pstates (for better power saving) - with attached kext in S/L/E, not /extra
wifi and other basics

Not working:
bluetooth
display dimming

How did you make your DSDT.aml, to get display dimming?
When I use your DSDT, I get display dimming, but it breaks my sleep.
If we know how you made your DSDT, we could all make our own DSDT so it matches our exact hardware, so nothing is broken.

thanks again for this great thread!
The T61 is a great, affordable platform for mac.

BTW, after much research, the best way I've found for dual or triple boot of OSX, Windows, Linux is instructions from iAtkos:
http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12269

GPT (Guid Partition Table) triple boot -

- Check the partition table type with Disk Utility. If it is not GPT then repartition the drive and change the partition map scheme to GPT by pressing partition options. You will loose all the data on target disk by repartitioning.

- Create 3 or more partitions by using iATKOS Disk Utility. HFS+ format for OS X target, FAT32 (ms-dos) for the others. Windows and Linux targets should be of the first 3 partitions.

- Boot Windows Media and install it to its FAT32 target.

- Boot iATKOS S3 DVD and install OS X to target as usual. You have dual-boot with OS X and windows right now.

- Boot Linux media and install the operating system (OS) to its FAT32 target.
Do not install the linux bootloader to MBR, install it linux root.
Do not change the boot flags.
Do not modify the partition table, it can be risky for some distros, just erase the target and do the install.
Use grub2.

- Now you can boot to OS X and Linux using OSX86 bootloader which boots by default, but windows fails at this stage because Linux installation broke the hybrid GPT, so we will bring it back on this step.
Boot iATKOS S3 DVD and enter "gptsync /dev/diskX" command on terminal. X is the BSD number of your target disk, run disk utility and right click on your disk, you will see it.

Now you have triple boot on GPT. By default OS X bootloader will take the control by these steps. It can boot all of them by just selecting. If you want linux or windows to take the control of multibooting then go on reading, it is described below.

VoodooPState.kext.zip