UPDATING iPC 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 using Apple Software Update on Vostro 1310

lilol18

10 posts in this topic

Hi Again.

This time i'm gonna tell you how i did in the updating process in my vostro 1310...all because, i started to be not to date, and some applications were now requesting 10.5.8, as iLife'09 and iWork'09 among others...

If you've already read my last topic about installing leopard on a vostro 1310, you can realize that i did it with iPC 10.5.6 distro. In that topic you can find everything about my experience in that process. Here i'm gonna do the same but in the UPDATING process, so knowing this, you can go a with a little advantage before you update your hackintosh. not too blinded !

First, i recommend to make a backup of your beloved/sacred files, because this process is very susceptible to kernel Panics.

Now, you have to be sure, before doing this, that you have Vanilla Kernel (like i do), better said, the original apple kernel, with this you can relax a little bit and be more secure that the update will be successful. for those who have patched kernels: guys, look for your patched updates, not apple's... and another thing, i'm not sure about this, but the "disabler.kext" and the "DSMOS" have to do some with this process, it seemed to me that having both, the update will keep all of your kexts, somebody tell me. in my case, i only could found the disabler in my system, for dsmos, couldn't, so i couldn't know if i had something like that.

Here We GO... Again...

Backed up all the stuff, go for apple "software update", and selected the "10.5.8 OS X Update" no more no less, if you have to wait the download, do so...

done that, it will ask for a reboot, accept.

rebooted, it will begin to update the system: copy the files and running scripts. For me, the update installation lasted exactly 12 minutes.

after that, it will reboot, let it....when it reaches the apple logo and seems to be eternal, don't worry, it auto reboots once again, let it again.. this took, around 2 minutes. don't be scared if your HD LED isn't blinking, let the process flow...

At last !, it booted. Now gotta play with the system a little bit.... this for knowing which hardware was lost after the process. for me, i found the following:

WORKING-AFTER-UPDATE HARDWARE

*** Touchpad + click buttons + click tapping and dragging = PERFECT, but...

*** The fingerprint reader device = PERFECT

*** the best of all: nVidia Geforce with full QE/CI = Still PEEEERFECT, but still having to put to sleep the display once to get better graphics performance.

*** LAN still worked

*** Keyboard worked full, but not with the correct layout.

*** for some people, after the updates, they found problems with the disk image mounting or usb ports. In this case, bull$h!¬, no bugs like that found in here !!.

*** Quick media buttons, seemed to be ok.

NOT WORKING-AFTER-UPDATE HARDWARE

*** Wireless LAN device (Dell 1395(Broadcom 4315)) = NOT INSTALLED

*** Sound (ALC268) device = NOPE

*** Battery Indicator = NOPE

*** Touchpad preference pane in system preferences = GONE

*** Smart Scroll APP = not functioning

--quite important ones, huh? hehe ;)

So..had to recover the lost hardware kexts (drivers), fortunately i have a personal folder in vista that has my necessary kexts for my system. so i used them again for 10.5.8 with my own risk. you can find them too in my last post here : iPC 10.5.6 on DELL VOSTRO 1310 - ALMOST EVERYTHING OK, What to choose on iPC 10.5.6 for vostro 1310

What i did: all in the exact following order:

First of all, re-installed the sound kexts (VoodooHDA + HDAEnabler) using "Kext Helper", rebooted, et voilá... got sound again.

Second thing, updated smart Scroll app and reinstalled the trackpad prefpane in the system as before (see my other post)...got Smart Scroll and the trackpad prefpane.

Third, reinstalled the Power Battery Indicator pkg, then rebooted. after that, :( , got a panic rebooting, rebooted once more, booted !! but the system went a little crazy in the sound and the touchpad. they really went crazy. do you remember the "But..." ?? yes, i read once that the voodoops2 kext had to work without ACPIPS2NUB.kext, kext that in 10.5.6 never existed but was recopied when updated to 10.5.8, so gotta delete that kext. So where is it??, you have to to this: go to AppleACPIPlatform.kext in system/library/Extensions, rightclick that kext, go for show package contents, it opened its contents, then open the plugins folder you now see, there it is, drag the "ACPIPS2NUB.kext" directly to the trash and the necessary to do so. i suggested after that to repair permissions. and reboot...... YES !!, touchpad/sound bug gone !!

Fourth, go for the Wireless. what happened here was that the device ID was lost inside the new IO80211Family.kext over copied for the update. then to recover this, pay attention: 1. go for "show package contents" for that kext, then go inside PLUGINS folder, there you see a "AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext" do the same to open the contents of it. 2. copy its info.plist to the desktop, and open this copy with textedit app. and look for this piece of code, where you have to insert a line (here in blue) between that code. what you did here was adding your device ID for the kext needed to wifi.

-------------------------------------------

<string>pci106b,4e</string>

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4313</string>

<string>pci14e4,4315</string>

<string>pci14e4,4318</string>

<string>pci14e4,4319</string>

-------------------------------------------

done the info.plist editing, save it and copy it over the original one inside the contents of "AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext" opened right before, and replace it. authenticate is necessary for this.

now you have the "IO80211Family.kext" compliant with dell 1395 wireless device. copy this kext to the desktop, and reinstall it with the "Kext helper", doing this it will overwrite and repair permissions at the time, so this kext will be correctly autoloaded at boot. if you don't do so, the wireless device won't be loaded and have to be manually loaded everytime you boot.

that's it...

...and here's for the skeptics....

post-426846-1253734912_thumb.png

FINAL NOTES

1. it's a shame the wireless Blue LED in the vostro is not lighting when wifi is on, it is always off. do you know a way to make it light again like in 10.5.6??? help me

2. NOT yet tested the card reader nor the firewire.

Good luck with yours.

Write you next time. :)

Hi,

I have a questions, with your hackintosh, can you play 3d games like Quake4 Demo or Halo Demo ?

I was updated my iPC with Apple Software Update, and all still works, ops... my keyboard and toutch fail, but with a usb keyb/mouse and install PS2FixKeyboard.pkg my keyb and toutch live again.

Have you tried reinstalling the extensions ?

Look my screenshoot and md5 for my extensions-list ( sudo find -f /System/Library/Extensions/* -type f | xargs md5 -r > md5_extensions.txt

post-334708-1253907575_thumb.png

md5_extensions.txt

Hi,

I have a questions, with your hackintosh, can you play 3d games like Quake4 Demo or Halo Demo ?

I was updated my iPC with Apple Software Update, and all still works, ops... my keyboard and toutch fail, but with a usb keyb/mouse and install PS2FixKeyboard.pkg my keyb and toutch live again.

Have you tried reinstalling the extensions ?

Look my screenshoot and md5 for my extensions-list ( sudo find -f /System/Library/Extensions/* -type f | xargs md5 -r > md5_extensions.txt

post-334708-1253907575_thumb.png

md5_extensions.txt

i have the HALO and.....Yes i can !, it goes normal as 10.5.6.

and for the keyboard and touchpad. i did exactly what i wrote in this post. i didn't reinstall those kexts, i just deleted an unnecessary file.

10.5.8 goes smooth...

Updated ---

i have the HALO and.....Yes i can !, it goes normal as 10.5.6.

and for the keyboard and touchpad. i did exactly what i wrote in this post. i didn't reinstall those kexts, i just deleted an unnecessary file.

10.5.8 goes smooth...

Sorry I din't read all our post... :D

I got to play Quake4 !!!

(Halo does not work and I don't know the cause.) I'm find the reason, is couse I'm using a case-sensitive filesystem, and do you need to rename some folders under Halo.app package to lowcase.

/Applications/Halo.app/Contents/Resources/GameData/ (Maps -> maps ) (Movies -> movies) (Shaders -> shaders)

Do you want to upgrade to snow ?

• 3 months later...

Very thorough write up!!!

Two questions though, and please forgive my noobness, but:

1. How can you tell if you're running the Vanilla Kernel?
  2. Where are the kexts stored so I can back them up before attempting this myself?

Thanks and appreciate you taking the time to make that write up!

• 1 month later...
Very thorough write up!!!

Two questions though, and please forgive my noobness, but:

1. How can you tell if you're running the Vanilla Kernel?
  2. Where are the kexts stored so I can back them up before attempting this myself?

Thanks and appreciate you taking the time to make that write up!

1. well, i can say that vanilla kernel is installed when you DO NOT choose any kernel option in the installation customization part. Only Intel CORE family processors (Core solo, core duo, core2 duo, core2 quad, etc etc) are capable to run the vanilla kernel. so if you have AMD or Pentium/celeron intels it means you don't have vanilla otherwise you'd be having a kernel panic. Vanilla kernel is overwritten when you update the system for the new one, that's because intel core users can update directly from apple site.

2. the kexts (kernel extensions) are stored in "System/Library/Extensions" inside your leopard volume. i recommend to backup that folder everytime you update havng in mind which kext controls what hardware unit. obviously sometimes the kexts for a OSX version are not appropiate for another OSX version, this can be observed if you encounter a kernel panic error. SO DON'T EVEN THINK IN REPLACING YOUR BACKED-UP FOLDER OVER YOUR NEW EXTENSIONS FOLDER AFTER THE UPDATE.

• 1 year later...

Hi lilol18!

Thanks for all your hard work in creating the original install and update. I had some issues, but worked through them on the Alps scroll pad issue. It was mostly my error. :( Anyway, I am interested in following others or future installs of the OS.

I do have some feedback to your wifi light on the Vostro. I never tested the wifi on the first install, however, when I tested it with the update to 10.5.8 and your kext update, the wifi didn't work for me. So, I reinstalled the broadcom package from the iPC install disk, only the osx86 patches, and rebooted. Viola! The wifi worked and the blue wifi light was working too! Whoo - Hooo! :D

I am now installing other software and testing to determine what my Vostro 1310 can handle. Will keep you posted.

Again, thanks for your work.