[Guide] Dell Vostro 1400 - Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - Vanilla Kernel 10.3.0

M0000000000

48 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I just want to apologize for the wait...

First off you're going to need:

-Snow Leopard .dmg or install disc

-An existing Leopard installation on a partition

-2 open partitions

-One 7GB & the other probably 10+GB (however big you want your SL partition to be)

-A USB/external keyboard and mouse

-Patience :)

Step 1) Restoring the .dmg to a seperate Partition

Have the SL.dmg on your desktop (you should currently be on your Leopard Install) and open up Disk Utility and click on the Restore tab

You're gonna get something looking like this:

screenshot20090919at113.png

Next, mount the Snow Leopard.dmg and you should get something named "Mac OS X Install DVD"

Now go back to Disk Utility, and on the left side you should see something like this:

(ignore the top part, that's just my HDD)

Click and Drag the Mac OS X Install DVD from that column into the Source box

Next you're going to want to Drag the partition that's about 7GB in to the Destination box

(Make sure that the partition is empty) then click on Restore

*This process should probably take about 10-20 minutes because what it is doing is copying the the .dmg contents to the partition

Step 2) Modifying the Install

A)

Download this:

OSInstall.mpkg

When everything is finished restoring click on the partition that you restored it to and it should look something like the one from the mounted .dmg

Push down Alt+Shift+G and a box should appear looking like this

screenshot20090919at115.png

In that box type in:

/NAMEOFPARTITION/System/Installation/Packages/

Where the NAMEOFPARTITION should be well, the name of your partition with the installation contents (the one you restored to)

Now with the OSInstall.pkg you downloaded

Copy and paste it into there and REPLACE the old one

*The purpose of this is to allow you to install Mac OS X onto a MBR Partition Map instead of the GUID one

;)

When you replaced the OSInstall.pkg double click it and start the installation

Make sure you choose the Partition you want it installed to

Customize it to however you want..I'd recommend unselecting all the printer drivers because they always caused an error for me when installing

*This process will take a while, but it installs Snow Leopard to that seperate partition

Now once the installation is complete DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER because we need to edit something in order to make it bootable

Download Chameleon RC3 thanks to Dr. Hurt for making it!

Now install that to your partition with the Snow Leopard Install

Now download this

Extra

Unzip that and you should get a folder called Extra

Open up the Partition that you installed Snow Leopard to and Replace the Extra folder there with the one you just downloaded

Now you can restart your computer and boot into the Snow Leopard Install

Step 3) Inside Snow Leopard

Now once you booted i'd recommend using the -v bootflag to see everything (ie. what causes a kernel panic if you get one)

(Now personally, I got a kernel panic because of the IOATAFAMILY.kext so i had to boot back into my Leopard Install and delete it manually from SL and then try again)

If you don't get a kernel panic, then :D , but you realized that your keyboard and mouse don't work that's why you need a USB/external one

Plug those in and fill everything out

*Wifi and the webcam already worked for me "out of the box"

Install the VoodooPS2Controller and VoodooHDA kexts and restart to get your mouse, keyboard, and sound working

Also, try installing NVInject to get graphics working and then restart

If you see that your battery meter is missing install this

If your mouse goes crazy when touching it, but your keyboard works try following steps here

hey i found a fix to the trackpad problem

this is what you need to do

go to your LEOPARD install and go to: /System/Library/Extensions/

once there go to the ApplePS2Controller.kext and right click it

Click on "Show Package Contents"

then click go to /Contents/Plugins/

Copy the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext to your desktop

Next go to the SNOW LEOPARD installation and go to: /System/Library/Extensions

Go to the "VoodooPS2Controller.kext" and right click and "Show Package Contents"

then go through /Contents/Plugins/

Delete the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext and then copy the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext into there

Rename the "ApplePS2Trackpad.kext" to "VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext"

After that reinstall the VoodooPS2Controller.kext with kextutility and reboot

it's a simple replacement that gets it fixed :D

And with that basic Snow Leopard should be on your Vostro 1400 working

Oh, and updating to 10.6.1 works well. Didn't need to modify anything. Install. Reboot. Perfection :D

Update

If you had to remove the IOATAFAMILY.kext (like I did) you've probably realized that the DVD drive doesn't work

well download this one (you have or may not have to install AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext into your Extra folder.)

that should fix it

Also, if you're having problems with fixing permissions, remount you're Snow Leopard.dmg and get go back to the Packages folder (where OSInstall.pkg was) and find BSD.pkg and reinstall that

There still will be more updates coming

**Update to 10.6.2 is a breeze, just download the Combo package from Apple and run it!

**Update to 10.6.3 UPDATE - just download the Combo package from Apple and run it!

Many thanks my friend, I will be trying it this weekend. :(

Hey M000000000, whats your vostro configuration/spec, that would help alot.

My Computer Specs:

-Dell Vostro 1400

-Intel Core 2 Duo

-T5270 at 1.40GHz

-2.00GB of RAM

-Chipset: Intel PM965

-Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS 128mb

hi man. well done. congrats.

i also tried installing SL, i have a vostro 1310. Snow installation went pretty nice. but i have a few questions for you.

i have nvidia 8400GS 128mb graphics, which one do you have?....for me, after installing nvinject, the expose, spaces and desktop graphics like that didn't go as fast and smooth as in leopard. i looked in system profiler for the graphics, but i can't see whether QE/CI are enabled or not. how good are your graphics in snow? can you see if you have QE/CI enabled in yours??..... tell me....

Another thing. do you have the kext for the battery power indicator? i don't, can you share it with me?

currently i'm running 10.5.8, but i want to get the snow... and i want so bad the graphics go as smooth and fast as in leopard...

hope you can help me

thanks.

lilol18

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=54737

use that for battery

graphics i have the same as you..i don't know if QE/CI is supported but everything is extremely fast for me, did you update to 10.6.1, i read that somewhere it maybe help.

heres mine screenshot20090923at101.png

Holly cow.

That is one big Circus to install an OS.

Hats off to you for having the patience.

You must want to run OSX really really bad to have to thru that kind of :censored2: to get it installed.

:thumbsup_anim: On the time and effort to share it with us though.

wow man, same picture here, it doesn't show if qe/ci are enabled or not... but i wonder, the effects in the dashboard are merely qeci because of the effects when you add a widget it creates a waves effect, this isn't present in my sno leo...in yours(please tell me)???.... for me, the system goes normal (fast). but graphics are very dumpy = no qe/ci. or can you tell me exactly what you did if you got it?

but haven't this guy "delirumhappy" already got them??? i already wrote to him asking for help... meanwhile i will reinstall Snow, and try again....

yeah the wave works fine when adding a widget, i don't even remember what i installed, i'm pretty sure it was a nvinject kext. the graphics are fast/great, the same as it was in leopard for me, and i can't even tell the difference.

i wouldn't depend on deliriumhappy, he pmed me quite a bit earlier asking for help then he suddenly dropped off earth.

i'll look aroudn to see if i can find that one nvinject kext, but try updating to 10.6.1

Yes, this is what I needed for my Dell 1520, you got it working now I just have to find the best Audio.kext for it........

I want to install this on my Desktop to but I have a Vapor X 4870, so I just keep having panics, need a boot loader that supports the 4870 then I can live my life again LOL.

wasted so much time, well not completely wasted

yeah the wave works fine when adding a widget, i don't even remember what i installed, i'm pretty sure it was a nvinject kext. the graphics are fast/great, the same as it was in leopard for me, and i can't even tell the difference.

i wouldn't depend on deliriumhappy, he pmed me quite a bit earlier asking for help then he suddenly dropped off earth.

i'll look aroudn to see if i can find that one nvinject kext, but try updating to 10.6.1

oh man, then you do have qe/ci (another hint: you have to have the bar semitransparent). i haven't got that support in my card. i have a few questions to ask: i tried the battery pkg you sent me. it didn't work at first, neither the sound voodoohda i installed just before, BUT !. i start SNOW under "arch=i386" flag et voilá. sound and battery, but the same graphics (non qe/ci). that flag is for enabling some(or all?) 32bit kexts. i wonder: you have to do that too? and everytime you boot??

another thing. the nvinject, where did you installed it?? in System/Library/Extensions or Extra/Extensions ??? and what version do you have?? 0.2.2??... and final is: did you install nvinject in 10.6 and then upgraded to 10.6.1 and that is when you got full support??... what steps should i take to get it?

c'mon man, cool having your help.

thnks

oh man, then you do have qe/ci (another hint: you have to have the bar semitransparent). i haven't got that support in my card. i have a few questions to ask: i tried the battery pkg you sent me. it didn't work at first, neither the sound voodoohda i installed just before, BUT !. i start SNOW under "arch=i386" flag et voilá. sound and battery, but the same graphics (non qe/ci). that flag is for enabling some(or all?) 32bit kexts. i wonder: you have to do that too? and everytime you boot??

another thing. the nvinject, where did you installed it?? in System/Library/Extensions or Extra/Extensions ??? and what version do you have?? 0.2.2??... and final is: did you install nvinject in 10.6 and then upgraded to 10.6.1 and that is when you got full support??... what steps should i take to get it?

c'mon man, cool having your help.

thnks

arch=i386 means the 32bit mode, i use it and it enables everything.

instead of having to type it in everytime you can edit com.apple.Boot.plist file

add this into it

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

as for graphics, it doesn't say anything about support in the system profiler, but yes i have the semi-transparent menu bar at top and also when i add widgets, there is a wave thing

instead of having to type it in everytime you can edit com.apple.Boot.plist file

add this into it

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

as for graphics, it doesn't say anything about support in the system profiler, but yes i have the semi-transparent menu bar at top and also when i add widgets, there is a wave thing

To test for QE/CI all you need to do is open the DVD player. If you get an initialization error you do not have QE/CI

is it fully functional? no sleep issues etc?

works with vostros equiped with x3100 video?

thanks

no it's not 100% functional

sleep doesn't work, it'll go to sleep but then wake up again making some noise from the DVD drive.

shutdown/restart doesn't work, the openhaltrestart.kext doesn't work for me

also it seems that software update doesn't really work..it always says that the software is up to date..

and i'm sorry, but what is x3100 video??

add this into it

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

NOOO !.. man, now everytime i reinstall SL, i always get to a Kernel Panic (CPU 0--something like that)...this panic always appear in the first SL boot.... also have to say that i installed it 2 times before with success, but now nothing using the same steps as before. i simply don't understand--¿?

do you know...what/why could that be??

Hey everyone, I just want to apologize for the wait...

First off you're going to need:

-Snow Leopard .dmg or install disc

-An existing Leopard installation on a partition

-2 open partitions

-One 7GB & the other probably 10+GB (however big you want your SL partition to be)

-A USB/external keyboard and mouse

-Patience :)

Step 1) Restoring the .dmg to a seperate Partition

Have the SL.dmg on your desktop (you should currently be on your Leopard Install) and open up Disk Utility and click on the Restore tab

You're gonna get something looking like this:

Next, mount the Snow Leopard.dmg and you should get something named "Mac OS X Install DVD"

Now go back to Disk Utility, and on the left side you should see something like this:

(ignore the top part, that's just my HDD)

Click and Drag the Mac OS X Install DVD from that column into the Source box

Next you're going to want to Drag the partition that's about 7GB in to the Destination box

(Make sure that the partition is empty) then click on Restore

*This process should probably take about 10-20 minutes because what it is doing is copying the the .dmg contents to the partition

Step 2) Modifying the Install

A)

Download this:

OSInstall.pkg

(You're going to need to double click on the file to unzip it and get the OSInstall.pkg)

When everything is finished restoring click on the partition that you restored it to and it should look something like the one from the mounted .dmg

Push down Alt+Shift+G and a box should appear looking like this

screenshot20090919at115.png

In that box type in:

/NAMEOFPARTITION/System/Installation/Packages/

Where the NAMEOFPARTITION should be well, the name of your partition with the installation contents (the one you restored to)

Now with the OSInstall.pkg you downloaded

Copy and paste it into there and REPLACE the old one

*The purpose of this is to allow you to install Mac OS X onto a MBR Partition Map instead of the GUID one

B)

When you replaced the OSInstall.pkg double click it and start the installation

Make sure you choose the Partition you want it installed to

Customize it to however you want..I'd recommend unselecting all the printer drivers because they always caused an error for me when installing

*This process will take a while, but it installs Snow Leopard to that seperate partition

Now once the installation is complete DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER because we need to edit something in order to make it bootable

Download Chameleon RC3 thanks to Dr. Hurt for making it!

Now install that to your partition with the Snow Leopard Install

Now download this

Extra

Unzip that and you should get a folder called Extra

Open up the Partition that you installed Snow Leopard to and Replace the Extra folder there with the one you just downloaded

Now you can restart your computer and boot into the Snow Leopard Install

Step 3) Inside Snow Leopard

Now once you booted i'd recommend using the -v bootflag to see everything (ie. what causes a kernel panic if you get one)

(Now personally, I got a kernel panic because of the IOATAFAMILY.kext so i had to boot back into my Leopard Install and delete it manually from SL and then try again)

If you don't get a kernel panic, then :D , but you realized that your keyboard and mouse don't work that's why you need a USB/external one

Plug those in and fill everything out

*Wifi and the webcam already worked for me "out of the box"

Install the VoodooPS2Controller and VoodooHDA kexts and restart to get your mouse, keyboard, and sound working

Also, try installing NVInject to get graphics working and then restart

If you see that your battery meter is missing install this

If your mouse goes crazy when touching it, but your keyboard works try following steps here

And with that basic Snow Leopard should be on your Vostro 1400 working

Oh, and updating to 10.6.1 works well. Didn't need to modify anything. Install. Reboot. Perfection ;)

Update

If you had to remove the IOATAFAMILY.kext (like I did) you've probably realized that the DVD drive doesn't work

well download this one (you have or may not have to install AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext into your Extra folder.)

that should fix it

Also, if you're having problems with fixing permissions, remount you're Snow Leopard.dmg and get go back to the Packages folder (where OSInstall.pkg was) and find BSD.pkg and reinstall that

There still will be more updates coming

have you ever gotten restarts to work? i have a dell vostro 1510 with sleep and shutdown working, just no restarts...

NOOO !.. man, now everytime i reinstall SL, i always get to a Kernel Panic (CPU 0--something like that)...this panic always appear in the first SL boot.... also have to say that i installed it 2 times before with success, but now nothing using the same steps as before. i simply don't understand--¿?

do you know...what/why could that be??

no idea..you're gonna have to tell me what else the KP says

try booting it without the kernal flag..

just delete the "arch=i386" from it

have you ever gotten restarts to work? i have a dell vostro 1510 with sleep and shutdown working, just no restarts...

nope..sorry i don't even have shutdown or sleep :lol:

great tutorial, screenshots and all! :)

Quick question though, I'm running 10.5.6 on my Dell XPS M1730 laptop, but I haven't got it to run a Vanilla kernel yet.

My specs are listed here, should I have it a go? http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ables#XPS_M1730

try partitioning your harddrive and give it a go! ;)

if you need a partitioner one that's always worked well for me is Gparted

the motherboard is intel so it should be alright with the vanilla kernal

• 4 weeks later...

Does This guide work for the newer vostro 1410 (w/ or w/o) dual core??

Specs: http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?Langua...wrAjaxHistory=3

ill buy whichever one is more compatible but preferably the 1.2ghz cause it has a dual core.

Is this for 64 bit? And if not does anyone have it working on 64 and how did u do it and does it work as good as 32?

• 2 weeks later...
Does This guide work for the newer vostro 1410 (w/ or w/o) dual core??

Specs: http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?Langua...wrAjaxHistory=3

ill buy whichever one is more compatible but preferably the 1.2ghz cause it has a dual core.

Is this for 64 bit? And if not does anyone have it working on 64 and how did u do it and does it work as good as 32?

i'm using the vostro 1400 with dual core

it may work, i'm not 100% because i don't have it

64 bit and 32 bit both for for me

but for 64 bit the AppleIntelCPUPower...kext needs to be deleted because the NullCPU...kext only works in 32 bit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I don't have a Leopard partition on the target computer as this guide outlines.

Has anyone gotten SL to install to the 1400 via usb flash drive? I setup a flash drive with instructions from in this post. All I get is a screen telling me "you have to restart your computer."

I've got access to a mac book pro. Maybe I should use it along with a sata enclosure to take the target drive and put the installer on an extra partition like this guide says.

The link for the OSInstall.mpkg is dead. Anyone have an alternative place for it?

Thanks a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the vostro 1400 with dual core

It works, but i can't get working wireless.

I have broadcom 43xx and used bcm43xx_enabler.sh in Leo. And it doesn't work in Snow Leopard((

I had the same problem but, I installed appleairport.kext from dell post installer using dell 1395 driver. Then tried bcm43xx enabler file. It came up eventually.Try that and lemme know. ;)