lifehacker-install will not boot in 32-bit mode

stephanchen

8 posts in this topic

hi,

i have installed my hackintosh with lifehacker-methode.

after boot, all works fine, but my d-link dwa-547 card isnt working....because the atheros driver 5008 isnt 64bit ready.

if i edit my com.aaple.Boot.plist with ach=i386 so that my hackintosh must start in 32 bit mode.......the restart fails .....

whats the problem of the lifehacker installation with 32bit mode?

cu

stephanchen

I also am experiencing the same issue...I would like to boot into 32-bit mode and the suggestion of editing the com.apple.boot.list file does not work and neither does using the few utilities (i.e. 32- or 64-bit Kernel Startup Mode Selector) The Boot kernel changes to 32-bit mode but the system kernal remains 64-bit. I cannot run Parallels or some of the plugins I use for Photoshop in the 64-bit mode until their respective applications are updated to 64-bit.

Any suggestion on how to boot into 32-bit mode would be greatly appreciated.

(I am a NOOB at this so it probably explains why I can't figure this out on my own :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had this problem, one of my SATA controllers is not supported with the x64 kernel.

Here is what you need to do:

Open up the terminal and type:

sudo nano /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Then change:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

Then Save (ctrl o) and exit (ctrl x)

Reboot and it should now be in 32 bit mode.. To check click on apple > About This Mac > More Info > Software and under "64-bit Kernel and Extensions" it should say "No".

• 2 weeks later...
hi,

i have installed my hackintosh with lifehacker-methode.

after boot, all works fine, but my d-link dwa-547 card isnt working....because the atheros driver 5008 isnt 64bit ready.

if i edit my com.aaple.Boot.plist with ach=i386 so that my hackintosh must start in 32 bit mode.......the restart fails .....

whats the problem of the lifehacker installation with 32bit mode?

cu

stephanchen

I have the same problem. I changed the plist flag to ach=i386 and now I'm stuck in an endless reboot. I don't know how to get back into 64 bit if I can't boot back up can someone please help.

• 2 months later...
I have the same problem. I changed the plist flag to ach=i386 and now I'm stuck in an endless reboot. I don't know how to get back into 64 bit if I can't boot back up can someone please help.

It pretty easy actually. All you need to do is 1. put your hard drive in a firewire enclosure 2. go to your extras folder 3. open the boot.plist file in text edit 4. delete the arch=i386 that you typed and then save it. Also you may need to copy it to your desktop in order to make the changes.

On another note, you could also put your hard drive in another computer and do the same thing. But no matter what method you choose, it will allow you to delete the command that you had previously typed.

This happened to me and guarantee this will get you back...hope this helps!!!!

• 2 months later...
I had this problem, one of my SATA controllers is not supported with the x64 kernel.

Here is what you need to do:

Open up the terminal and type:

sudo nano /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Then change:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

Then Save (ctrl o) and exit (ctrl x)

Reboot and it should now be in 32 bit mode.. To check click on apple > About This Mac > More Info > Software and under "64-bit Kernel and Extensions" it should say "No".

DUDE!!! I love you! Thanks!!!

• 3 months later...