GA-G31M-S2L 10.6 install great! but ALC662 no sound

johnad

15 posts in this topic

I decided yesterday to try and follow this guide to install my retail 10.6 dvd on my year old custom PC. Everything worked out of the box except my sound, that problem is listed at the bottom. In case you have this motherboard here is what I did to install 10.6.

Hardware:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L (Sound: Realtek ALC662, Chipset: G31, BIOS: F10f)

Processor: Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz

Video: PNY GeForce 8800 GT (VCG88512GXEB-FLB)

Even though this guide is great, I will list my steps simply.

1. On my MacBook Pro I put in my 10.6 DVD and made and image of it on my desktop.

2. I then formatted my 32GB USB memory stick (1 Partition, Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled, GUID Partition)

3. I restored my 10.6 DVD image to the USB stick. (I did have to scan image for restore from the image menu first)

4. I ran the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard install package and installed on USB stick destination.

5. I then put the stick into my PC machine and went into the BIOS to make changes as close to this guide as possible. (which weren’t too many and again I am running BIOS:F10f)

6. I then booted up the USB stick watch the apple logo and the install started up no problems.

7. Formatted my hard drive via the disk utility and proceeded like a normal OS X install.

8. When I got to the OS X Desktop (I had no sound), I reran the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard install package and installed to my hard drive this time. (So I can boot up without a memory stick)..

9. Upgraded to 10.6.1.

10. I sat back and enjoyed how easy all that just was.

My one problem is no sound, which the hardware does show up in the about mac window. I read this guide the same person posted a few weeks earlier, and tried to install my sound using this method, dragging the appropriate .kext onto Kext Utility, repairing my disk permissions, and restarting. I downloaded many .kext related to ALC662 and tried this with no luck. I didn’t use Chameleon or any other tools I haven’t mentioned. What is the best way for me to get my sound to work? I was reading this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1237199 but maybe someone could explain the process a bit different? Once I get this working I will make a better tutorial with screenshots. I also am going to buy a much better machine and do the same.

Thank you,

John

Thanks man. I wish I could try it right now but I am working til 5. This looks like it comes with an application to install the kext?

Sound Fix!

Okay you need to take the files from this post. Link. Then you need to use the two files, DSDT.aml, and alc662.kext and put them in the respective places. One goes in the extra folder (the DSDT) and the other goes in kext utility. Note:The DSDT is for GA-G31m-S2l Only, will phuck up your computer if not.

This solution needs the DSDT because the DSDT has sound inside of the file but needs the small kext to activate it and this works basically like the LegacyHDA.kext but ingegrated into 1 file (two technically).

Here is the link to kext utility. Link. This will make it easier on your brain.

I need help!

My motherboard (Foxconn G31MV-K, same chipset, sound and everything like GA) has ALC662 sound too, but I'm not sure if I can use that DSDT.aml file. How do I compile a DSDT with sound enabled to use it on my Mobo??? What would happen if I use that DSDT file???

The VoodooHDA works but it doesn't work with my electric guitar. On 10.5 I used a modded AppleHDA and the ALC662 worked fine and even in GarageBand I could use my guitar. Now with VoodooHDA it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

This method you guys have mentioned is not working for me. I get a error right when the desktop loads. I thought I wasn't rebuilding the Extensions.mkext but I watched the kext utility log, it does do it at the end.

I am going to try this voodoohda when I get my next install complete.

voodoo didn't work for me. I'm going to spend the day reading now.

FYI, for this board, BIOS F10f or F9 all you need to do is load optimal defaults and change the SATA to enhanced. OSX will load and you can use it, the other BIOS tweaks are preference or preventive.

FYI, I never got audio and decided to disband the idea until I can buy a better motherboard or USB audio.

I like this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823 better then lifehackers. I tried it with my audio kext and still no luck.

I would be more then happy to pay someone to login via team viewer or something and get this working for me.

• 1 month later...
FYI, I never got audio and decided to disband the idea until I can buy a better motherboard or USB audio.

I like this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823 better then lifehackers. I tried it with my audio kext and still no luck.

I would be more then happy to pay someone to login via team viewer or something and get this working for me.

I used the Gigabyte's DSDT.alm file on my Foxconn G31MV-K and the ALC662.kext on (EFI)/Extra/Extensions and the ALC662 works fine on both 32/64bits.

Make sure you're placing the DSDT on the right place. In my case I had to put the DSDT on the root of my Snow Leopard partition, NOT the EFI one.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Sound Fix!

Okay you need to take the files from this post. Link. Then you need to use the two files, DSDT.aml, and alc662.kext and put them in the respective places. One goes in the extra folder (the DSDT) and the other goes in kext utility. Note:The DSDT is for GA-G31m-S2l Only, will phuck up your computer if not.

This solution needs the DSDT because the DSDT has sound inside of the file but needs the small kext to activate it and this works basically like the LegacyHDA.kext but ingegrated into 1 file (two technically).

Here is the link to kext utility. Link. This will make it easier on your brain.

I followed the same guide and have same mobo, and running into same issue. Not able to get audio working. did you replace DSDT in /Extra folder since EP45UD3P_Snow_Leopard.zip supplies with DSDT file with it? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I did try replacing it, my machine just hangs on boot up.

• 6 months later...

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L F10f bios 10.6.3 audio and video works great. No kexts or anything at all needed retail install.

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (latest vers) INstall retail 10.6. reboot after install using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again. install 10.6.3 combo update.

Note; I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] rather than installing bootloader to hd.

Only bug I noticde so far is does not awake after sleep and can probably be fixed with a kext.