[How To] Snow Leopard 64bit Retail Installation - P5Q-EM (Other P5Q Boards)

Akamatsu

31 posts in this topic

Here is my Ultimate Retail 64bit Snow Leopard Tutorial for P5Q-EM Board (And maybe Other P5Q Boards)

There is the Link for the German Tutorial:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184880

I´ve been trying to translate the tutorial in the next few day.

I Hope it helps.

Akamatsu

Btw: I need Help for Solve the Sound-chip Problem --> ALC1200

I´ve got it Partly Working : Line-Out Works, Mic: Not Works, Line-In Works, SPDIF/Digital : Not works

On 10.5.8 ist works perfectly with Line-Out, Line-In, Mic and Optical SPDIF

I think many of you have been waiting for ne now a guidance for the Board PQ5 series of Asus, here it is.

After 4 weeks, it is self-study in several forums I now carry a Native Gelungen install the retail version. This variant allows Hackmac perfectly stable in 64bit mode, you can run without kernel panics. OOB LAN funktiontiert to complete Sleep & Time Machine feature Relevance

--------------------------------------------------

Under Contruction

- Pictures Demächst come --

Based on this manual installation option + USB bootloader and was carried out on a PQ5-EM board as the P5Q series is very similar to these instructions should also apply to these boards functioning

Confirmed Boards

-- P5Q-EM

Things need

- Access to an OSX system (Leopard preferred)

- Copy of "Snow Leopard Retail"

- 8GB usbstick or external hard drive

- If possible 2 HDD's (1x X-any OSX, 1x Snow Leopard)

Need software

Bios

MOD BIOS FOR ASUS P5Q-EM: 1605_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_EM_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi .. rom.zip (685.25K) Number of downloads: 7

Bootloader

Chameleon 2 RC3 r658 installer (THX Dr.Hurt) Chameleon_2_RC3.zip (727.27K) Number of downloads: 28

Kext

AHCIPortInjector AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip (2.22K) Number of downloads: 22

ATAPortInjector ATAPortInjector.kext.zip (2.4K) Number of downloads: 23

AppleRTC AppleRTC.kext.zip (47.2K) Number of downloads: 25

Fakesmc fakesmc.kext.zip (29.41K) Number of downloads: 21

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.zip (2.23K) Number of downloads: 22

NullCPUPowerManagement NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip (27.87K) Number of downloads: 22

OpenHaltRestart OpenHaltRestart.kext.zip (27.15K) Number of downloads: 21

PlatformUUID PlatformUUID.kext.zip (22.4K) Number of downloads: 21

SleepEnabler SleepEnabler.kext.zip (25.15K) Number of downloads: 25

After installation with Kexthelper Install:

AppleHDA (Line-In + Line-out, search for a 100% solution) AppleHDA_432.kext.zip (1.05MB) Number of downloads: 18

Miscellaneous

Chameleon Theme: Default.zip (960.98K) Number of downloads: 14

Preparations

BIOS updating

Follow instructions --- -----

Formatting the installation media

- 8GB USB stick or hard drive to your Mac anschliesen

- Run Disk Utility (Mac HDD / Applications / Utilities)

- Click Stick / Selecting and disk partitioning on

- 1 partition "EFI" Name / HFS + <--- Size Depends on the 2nd partition (50mb loose but should suffice)

- 2 partition "InstallShield 10.6" / HFS + Name <--- at least as big as the retail image (Typically 6.4 GB)

- Click on Options and GUID partition scheme as the Select

- Click on "Apply"

Restoring the retail DVD SL / Des Images

- Click Stick / panel and select Restore

- DVD drawn from the left side in the first field or looking on the button "image" the image on the plate

- The 2nd partition of the stick / plate in the 2nd box, drag

- Click on "Restore"

Formatting the later installation plate

- The hard drive of the future Selecting Snow Leopard system to partition and click

- Create 1 partition named "Snow Leopard"

- Click on "Apply"

Install Bootloader

- Chameleon 2 RC3 run r658 installer

- Select a Volume "EFI" and enter password if necessary

Install kext

- Volume "EFI" open and go into the folder "Extras"

- Create, where the Extensions folder and copy there the following kext:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

Fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Theme Install

- Extra copy in the folder on the disk "EFI" folder on the subject "Default"

Zustätzliches

- Edit com.apple.boot.plist and in the Extras folder copy / template: com.apple.Boot.plist.zip (1.27K) Number of downloads: 6

- Edit smbios.plist and in the Extras folder copy / template: smbios.plist.zip (995bytes) Number of downloads: 20

UUID Edit

- On the volume "EFI" folder Extrension "right-click the file" PlattformUUID.kext "and view package contents

- Can reopen the file "/ content info.plist /" and open

- Can right-click on the partition "Snow Leopard" and information displays

- Where the entry "Univ. Unique Identifier: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX copy" (only the numbers behind it)

- This will replace the Info.plist Under the entry "PlattformUUID" with the existing

- Save and slept

- The same even when the file smbios.plist "in the Extras folder to perform (there but under" SMUUID ")

To ensure that all preparations are complete for the installation. The system can now be restarted.

Select now just starting and even from the USB stick in the boot loader "InstallShield 10.6".

Hope I could help so that at least a few people, if after a manual for EFI GFX strings is needed, I would create this yet.

Mfg. Akamatsu

Known Issues

- Currently Partly Sound for the sound chip "ALC1200" / Line-In + Line Out

- CPU information is not displayed in the Profiler

I think many of you have been waiting for ne now a guidance for the Board PQ5 series of Asus, here it is.

After 4 weeks, it is self-study in several forums I now carry a Native Gelungen install the retail version. This variant allows Hackmac perfectly stable in 64bit mode, you can run without kernel panics. OOB LAN funktiontiert to complete Sleep & Time Machine feature Relevance

Under Contruction

- Pictures Demächst come --

Based on this manual installation option + USB bootloader and was carried out on a PQ5-EM board as the P5Q series is very similar to these instructions should also apply to these boards functioning

Confirmed Boards

-- P5Q-EM

Things need

- Access to an OSX system (Leopard preferred)

- Copy of "Snow Leopard Retail"

- 8GB usbstick or external hard drive

- If possible 2 HDD's (1x X-any OSX, 1x Snow Leopard)

Need software

Bios

MOD BIOS FOR ASUS P5Q-EM: 1605_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_EM_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi .. rom.zip (685.25K) Number of downloads: 7

Bootloader

Chameleon 2 RC3 r658 installer (THX Dr.Hurt) Chameleon_2_RC3.zip (727.27K) Number of downloads: 28

Kext

AHCIPortInjector AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip (2.22K) Number of downloads: 22

ATAPortInjector ATAPortInjector.kext.zip (2.4K) Number of downloads: 23

AppleRTC AppleRTC.kext.zip (47.2K) Number of downloads: 25

Fakesmc fakesmc.kext.zip (29.41K) Number of downloads: 21

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.zip (2.23K) Number of downloads: 22

NullCPUPowerManagement NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip (27.87K) Number of downloads: 22

OpenHaltRestart OpenHaltRestart.kext.zip (27.15K) Number of downloads: 21

PlatformUUID PlatformUUID.kext.zip (22.4K) Number of downloads: 21

SleepEnabler SleepEnabler.kext.zip (25.15K) Number of downloads: 25

After installation with Kexthelper Install:

AppleHDA (Line-In + Line-out, search for a 100% solution) AppleHDA_432.kext.zip (1.05MB) Number of downloads: 18

Miscellaneous

Chameleon Theme: Default.zip (960.98K) Number of downloads: 14

Preparations

BIOS updating

Follow instructions --- -----

Formatting the installation media

- 8GB USB stick or hard drive to your Mac anschliesen

- Click Stick / Selecting and disk partitioning on

- 1 partition "EFI" Name / HFS + <--- Size Depends on the 2nd partition (50mb loose but should suffice)

- 2 partition "InstallShield 10.6" / HFS + Name <--- at least as big as the retail image (Typically 6.4 GB)

- Click on "Apply"

Restoring the retail DVD SL / Des Images

- Click Stick / panel and select Restore

- DVD drawn from the left side in the first field or looking on the button "image" the image on the plate

- The 2nd partition of the stick / plate in the 2nd box, drag

- Click on "Restore"

Formatting the later installation plate

- The hard drive of the future Selecting Snow Leopard system to partition and click

- Create 1 partition named "Snow Leopard"

- Click on "Apply"

Install Bootloader

- Chameleon 2 RC3 run r658 installer

- Select a Volume "EFI" and enter password if necessary

Install kext

- Volume "EFI" open and go into the folder "Extras"

- Create, where the Extensions folder and copy there the following kext:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

Fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Theme Install

- Extra copy in the folder on the disk "EFI" folder on the subject "Default"

Zustätzliches

- Edit com.apple.boot.plist and in the Extras folder copy / template: com.apple.Boot.plist.zip (1.27K) Number of downloads: 6

- Edit smbios.plist and in the Extras folder copy / template: smbios.plist.zip (995bytes) Number of downloads: 20

UUID Edit

- On the volume "EFI" folder Extrension "right-click the file" PlattformUUID.kext "and view package contents

- Can reopen the file "/ content info.plist /" and open

- Can right-click on the partition "Snow Leopard" and information displays

- Where the entry "Univ. Unique Identifier: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX copy" (only the numbers behind it)

- This will replace the Info.plist Under the entry "PlattformUUID" with the existing

- Save and slept

- The same even when the file smbios.plist "in the Extras folder to perform (there but under" SMUUID ")

To ensure that all preparations are complete for the installation. The system can now be restarted.

Select now just starting and even from the USB stick in the boot loader "InstallShield 10.6".

Hope I could help so that at least a few people, if after a manual for EFI GFX strings is needed, I would create this yet.

Mfg. Akamatsu

Known Issues

- Currently Partly Sound for the sound chip "ALC1200" / Line-In + Line Out

- CPU information is not displayed in the Profiler

thx 4this translation. i add this in my first posting.

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide.. thanx for the translation. Install was a breeze. I now have a fully functional Snow Leopard.

when i check my specs tho... your video card shows up instead of mine.

i see everyting for your card

GPU: Gainward Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1024MB DDR3

instead of my

Nvidea Geforce 8400 gs 256mb card

would running the Nvidia Kush Graphix Kext change this 2 recognise my card?

or did i miss a step some where?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dude,

The 1605 bios works just fine with snow...

Hi everyone, someone (Juzzi or who else?) could modify the lastest bios for my P5Q-EM?

The lastest patched (1605) is a very very old bios..

DIRECT LINK TO LASTEST BIOS RELESED FOR P5Q-EM (VERSION 2203)

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/PUB/ASUS/mb/socket7...M-ASUS-2203.zip

I want to try Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail.. Thanks -_-

• 2 weeks later...

I have SL running on a P5Q using IanT's tutorial. I tried to apply the same methodology to my other box runing a P5Q-EM (Except with the 1605 Bios Flash) and it installs perfect, restarts perfect. But when I try to shut down, it will not shut down. When I reset it, the OS hangs at the grey apple screen.Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Kooby

Hi,

I followed the tutorial, but in the end the usb (efi + installshield) doesnt want to boot. And it goes back to the windows 7 boot menu.

My spec:

hdd 1: win xp, win 7

hdd 2: For snow leopard retail

hdd 3: ideneb 1.5.1

Could anyone help me, please?

Hi,

I followed the tutorial, but in the end the usb (efi + installshield) doesnt want to boot. And it goes back to the windows 7 boot menu.

My spec:

hdd 1: win xp, win 7

hdd 2: For snow leopard retail

hdd 3: ideneb 1.5.1

Could anyone help me, please?

Nevermind... Got it working now ( used a different usb-device)

Now I got Snow Leopard 10.6.0 retail, but can update to 10.6.2. Because when I boot Snow Leoapard I get an kernel panic. help..

I have SL running on a P5Q using IanT's tutorial. I tried to apply the same methodology to my other box runing a P5Q-EM (Except with the 1605 Bios Flash) and it installs perfect, restarts perfect. But when I try to shut down, it will not shut down. When I reset it, the OS hangs at the grey apple screen.Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Kooby

Got it to work perfectly just by deleting the DSDT file in the Extras directory (it must be created specifically for the P5Q board). Ian T guide is quite easy for this install. Now I have to find a P5Q -EM DSDT file..

Thanks

Kooby

• 2 weeks later...

I installed today Snow Leopard using this motherboard, but not using this guide.

I updated to the latest official bios (v. 2203) and changed some options in the bios, used a boot cd to install OSX (I used RebelEFI, but I think using EmpireEFI is the same), and installed Chameleon2 RC4 by Rekursor.

At this point I updated to 10.6.2.

Then I simply used GraphicEnabler in com.apple.Boot.plist to make the nVidia GTS 250 VGA card working, added the latest versions of fakesmc.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext and VoodooHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions and used a modified (by me :) ) DSDT.aml to have everything working (including sleep and Speedstep without kext).

If someone is interested I can make a package with all those files and a little more explicit procedure (including dual boot with Windows 7 if requested).

I installed today Snow Leopard using this motherboard, but not using this guide.

I updated to the latest official bios (v. 2203) and changed some options in the bios, used a boot cd to install OSX (I used RebelEFI, but I think using EmpireEFI is the same), and installed Chameleon2 RC4 by Rekursor.

At this point I updated to 10.6.2.

Then I simply used GraphicEnabler in com.apple.Boot.plist to make the nVidia GTS 250 VGA card working, added the latest versions of fakesmc.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext and VoodooHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions and used a modified (by me :) ) DSDT.aml to have everything working (including sleep and Speedstep without kext).

If someone is interested I can make a package with all those files and a little more explicit procedure (including dual boot with Windows 7 if requested).

That would be great! I'd be much appreciative, especially since I just changed out my T7200 to a Q9400 and have to re-do everything, since it sticks just past the IOAIPC...

That would be great! I'd be much appreciative, especially since I just changed out my T7200 to a Q9400 and have to re-do everything, since it sticks just past the IOAIPC...

Ok, here's a quick guide. If requested, I wil rewrite this in a better way when I can.

First the needed files:

P5QEM.zip

MediaFire mirror

the archive contains the "Extra" folder with:

the 3 kexts: fakesmc.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext and VoodooHDA.kext inside the Extensions subfolder;

the DSDT.aml file;

a com.apple.Boot.plist that changes from the original only for the "GraphicsEnabler=yes" option;

the pfix v2.3 utility, to repair permissions and rebuild kext cache.

Copy this "Extra" folder to / after installing Chameleon and before rebooting.

The archive contains also the VoodooHDA.prefPane, an audio control panel for the VoodooHDA.kext. Install it after you got the volume icon near the clock.

The ALC1200 audio chip on the P5Q-EM is very problematic. The only solution I found to have a working audio is to use the VoodooHDA.kext.

To begin, start to update the bios to the 2203 version (the latest at the moment). Download from official site:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=jR7eO7eY08cBntsR

(no need to use modified bios to boot)

Load the default bios setting, save and exit, re-enter the bios and change the following:

MAIN

Legacy diskette: Disabled

Storage configuration > Configure SATA as: AHCI

ADVANCED

CPU configuration > Intel® C-State Tech: Enabled

Onboard device configuration > Marvell IDE controller: Disabled

Onboard device configuration > Serial Port1 address: Disabled

POWER

ACPI 2.0 support: Enabled

TOOLS

Express Gate: Disabled (if you don't use this feature)

other minor features, as the initial logo or the boot priority can be changed as you prefer.

After this, boot with the RebelEFI cd (or the EmpireEFI cd; I tried only RebelEFI but EmpireEFI should be exactly the same thing) and install Snow Leopard. After install use the boot cd to boot our freshly installed Snow Leopard partition.

LAN should be already working if you need internet access. Update to 10.6.2, restart and boot with the cd another time.

After entering, install Chameleon (there is a "doc" folder inside with the explanatory README file), then copy the Extra folder to root ( / ), make a backup copy of the original /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext before deleting it and then run from terminal "sudo /Extra/pfix" (see the package description for more infos).

Reboot and you should have everything working. If resolution is wrong, the GraphicEnabler option is not working with your VGA card, so you need EFI string or something else to make it work on Snow Leopard.

If audio is working, install the VoodooHDA.PrefPane to refine volume settings.

After some software updates (maybe iTunes, or others), audio could not work anymore. Just re-run from terminal "sudo /Extra/pfix" to get audio working again.

The DSDT table included could be refined better, but with this everything is working, including sleep and Intel Sidestep tech.

I don't know if Bonjour is working, I don't even know what's the use of Bonjour...

The complete configuration is:

CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz (seen as Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.84 GHz, as Chameleon's behavior)

RAM 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz (seen as 667 MHz :) )

VGA nVidia GTS 250 512 MB (using GraphicEnabler, specs ok except "Chipset model" that is Unknown)

This pc is not mine (I installed Snow Leopard for a friend), so I will not have this motherboard for future reference :P

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

I have managed to succsesfully install 10.6.1 but not 10.6.2 with you guide , once I update to .2 I have a kernel panic (with an intel q9650).If i 'll succeed I'll post it here.

Any help for an nvidia gt220?

Keep up the good work guys.

The guide at first post or my guide (a couple of posts before this)?