Extremely easy way to install snowleopard by booting retail DVD in three steps!

kdetech

12 posts in this topic

Go to my post here and download my attachment. Mount iso and copy out initrd.img. Mount it in Leopard or tiger. Replace dxdt.aml with a dsdt.aml for your motherboard patched for snow. (you can patch a dsdt to work with snow with this

Search and replace dsdt.aml in .img file (Leopard can write to .img fies)

Also replace "com.apple.Boot.plist" with the one in your leopard system. (Can be searched in Finder)

Incorporate the .img file in iso (can be achieved in Windows with a program called winiso)

Burn and boot cd. When prompted remove cd and insert Snow DVD

Someone reported success on P5KPL\1600

Snow Leopard on my Mac mini, however, can't. I had to find someone else with Leopard to do it.

Incorporate the .img file in iso (can be achieved in Windows with a program called winiso)

Remind me to do a write-up of how to do on OS X. It's certainly possible, but not the easiest thing in the world.

This is where I'm stuck — I'm never prompted to remove the CD; I only get a "Boot from Windows NTFS". I don't even _have_ Windows installed (and when it decides to boot that, it just says "BOOTMGR is missing", I assume from the NTFS bootsector). I pressed F8 but I don't see how to rescan the CD.

Does this only work on an empty hard disk? That'll be my next step…

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

--woof

Someone reports that this worked on ASUS P5KPL\1600

Snow Leopard on my Mac mini, however, can't. I had to find someone else with Leopard to do it.

Remind me to do a write-up of how to do on OS X. It's certainly possible, but not the easiest thing in the world.

This is where I'm stuck — I'm never prompted to remove the CD; I only get a "Boot from Windows NTFS". I don't even _have_ Windows installed (and when it decides to boot that, it just says "BOOTMGR is missing", I assume from the NTFS bootsector). I pressed F8 but I don't see how to rescan the CD.

Does this only work on an empty hard disk? That'll be my next step…

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

--woof

On the first thing you see saying resan boot. Just quickly swap the cd with your retail snow leopard DVD

• 2 weeks later...

Great, awsome. But how on earth do I change the contents of the dmg and iso files?

This is a common problem and it would be nice if someone would write a step by step guide.

And since someone was asking, I've uploaded the boot.plist and dsdt.aml from a working Leopard Vanilla installation on a GMA950 laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400).

dsdt.aml.zip

com.apple.boot.plist.zip

Great, awsome. But how on earth do I change the contents of the dmg and iso files?

This is a common problem and it would be nice if someone would write a step by step guide.

And since someone was asking, I've uploaded the boot.plist and dsdt.aml from a working Leopard Vanilla installation on a GMA950 laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400).

With A WORKING Leopard you can edit the dmg when mounted i.e you can paste file. The iso can be edited in Windows using a program called winiso.

• 2 months later...
(you can patch a dsdt to work with snow with this

how should someone use this program if you do not have osx running?

and thats the sense of this thread, getting the stuff up and running.?

:P so how can i get osx installing from a fresh computer?

btw. i got an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

everything untouched, not even windows installed :)

any help is welcome!

• 9 months later...
Go to my post here and download my attachment. Mount iso and copy out initrd.img. Mount it in Leopard or tiger. Replace dxdt.aml with a dsdt.aml for your motherboard patched for snow. (you can patch a dsdt to work with snow with this

Also replace "com.apple.Boot.plist" with the one in your leopard system. (Can be searched in Finder)

Someone reported success on P5KPL\1600

Ok, I was able to get 10.5.7 running on a Dell Latitude D420 using iATKOSv7 but I could not update it to 10.5.8, let alone update it using the retail 10.6.3 DVD I bought. I thought I'd give this method a try but so far, no luck.

I was able to change your ISO using a trial copy of MagicISO and then create a new ISO which I burned to a CD. I put the CD in the system and it comes up with the following screen and error:

ISOLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10 Copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin

Could not find kernel image: linux

boot:

I typed initrd at the boot prompt and got the following error:

boot: initrd

Cannot load disk imag (invalid file)?

I tried initrd.img and got the same error. Have you seen this? Did I mess up the ISO or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.