Anyone tried to install 10.6 on an Acer Aspire One?

MikeHunt79

14 posts in this topic

Is it even possible? The intel chip has SSE3, but only has Hyperthreading instead of dual core. Does this mean cpus=1 is needed?

Also, do the SL extensions exist yet that allow the keyboard and trackpad to work around yet?

I want to be sure before taking the plunge, I'm pretty good with boot 132 and DSDT, so I think I can do it but if anyone else has managed it, could you say if there any special Kext's needed at all?

Is it even possible? The intel chip has SSE3, but only has Hyperthreading instead of dual core. Does this mean cpus=1 is needed?

Also, do the SL extensions exist yet that allow the keyboard and trackpad to work around yet?

I want to be sure before taking the plunge, I'm pretty good with boot 132 and DSDT, so I think I can do it but if anyone else has managed it, could you say if there any special Kext's needed at all?

+1!!!

runs fine... probably not the best install but these are what i'm using for AOA150:

27ae.sh -> 27aeAppleIntelGMA950.kext and 27aeAppleIntelIntergratedFramebuffer.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

SleepEnabler.kext (probably not needed cause sleep still doesn't work)

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext (mic doesn't work)

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

com.apple.boot.plist w/ EFI string for Intel GMA950

chameleon 2.0 rc2 r640 for boot

used the generic vanilla guide on here to do the install

runs fine... probably not the best install but these are what i'm using for AOA150:

27ae.sh -> 27aeAppleIntelGMA950.kext and 27aeAppleIntelIntergratedFramebuffer.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

SleepEnabler.kext (probably not needed cause sleep still doesn't work)

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext (mic doesn't work)

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

com.apple.boot.plist w/ EFI string for Intel GMA950

chameleon 2.0 rc2 r640 for boot

used the generic vanilla guide on here to do the install

Could you please link to the particular generic guide? There's a couple.

Also, where did you find the com.apple.boot.plist with EFI string for IntelGMA950?

I've been trying for a week to install SL on my Acer Aspire One D150 with constant KPs at bootup.

Many thanks,

R

snip

Excellent info, thanks very much. I'm going to go for 10.6 I think ;)

Right now I'm still sorting out 10.5, I've repartitioned my machine so I can run 10.6 on another partition. Did you use a patched DSDT file also? Also, where can I find 27ae.sh, I'm guess it's some shellscript that does some patching?

Here's the guide on here I followed: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

And here's a zip of the files I used, take absolutely no credit in any of it... just compiled {censored} that worked for me... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BXOJGSJ0

Included the 27ae.sh so that you can patch it yourself... but I also put the patched kexts cause I'm lazy and it's for my machines, lol

Kaho,

I used your file pack to get SL up and running (thanks for that BTW), and everything went fine for a few bootups until yesterday. It seems like my CMOS/BIOS has been modified by SL to the point that I can't get the native video resolution of 1024x600 back. When I bootup, SL gives EVERY other video resolution except for 1024x600. I read somewhere that there is a BIOS bug in SL where it resets your BIOS everytime, but I need a DSDT.aml file. When I try to run DSDT patcher now, it throws an error. Do you have a working DSDT file for the aspire one you could share?

Thanks man

Hi, can I ask which setup you went for? Your link points to a post which has three different methods:

• Chameleon + Hidden EFI Partition
  • Boot-132 Disc w/ patched boot file
  • Chameleon v2 RC1 USB Bootloader w/Netkas PCEFIv10.1 patched boot

I'm having varying degrees of success with each one! Knowing which one worked for you would be a huge help. Thanks.

Jon11a,

I can confirm that not only does Snow Leopard install and work on the Aspire One, but in fact, it runs really well (I mean really fast and snappy). I was good for a few bootups and then Snow Leopard must have done something to my CMOS settings, specifically the video settings. I lost the native resolution of 1024x600. Snow Leopard now loads up using half my screen (with the right side pitch black) and lists EVERY display resolution except for 1024x600. I read on this forum that there is a nasty bug in SL that resets the CMOS. You need to create a DSDT.aml file specific to your computer, decompile this file, and change one line, then recompile. However, whenever I tried to run DSDT patcher, the process always throws an error. I don't know what to do. I feel like I bricked my Aspire One. I tried reflashing and upgrading the CMOS but all to no avail. I now took it apart and took the CMOS battery out for 24 hours to see if that will reset my CMOS. I would wait until someone can share a patched DSDT.aml file.

• 2 weeks later...
Jon11a,

I can confirm that not only does Snow Leopard install and work on the Aspire One, but in fact, it runs really well (I mean really fast and snappy). I was good for a few bootups and then Snow Leopard must have done something to my CMOS settings, specifically the video settings. I lost the native resolution of 1024x600. Snow Leopard now loads up using half my screen (with the right side pitch black) and lists EVERY display resolution except for 1024x600. I read on this forum that there is a nasty bug in SL that resets the CMOS. You need to create a DSDT.aml file specific to your computer, decompile this file, and change one line, then recompile. However, whenever I tried to run DSDT patcher, the process always throws an error. I don't know what to do. I feel like I bricked my Aspire One. I tried reflashing and upgrading the CMOS but all to no avail. I now took it apart and took the CMOS battery out for 24 hours to see if that will reset my CMOS. I would wait until someone can share a patched DSDT.aml file.

I've hit the exact same problem, the DSDT patcher does not seem to work, gives this error:

./dsdt_fixed.txt 1213: CreateDWordField (BUF1, Local2, CAPB)

What BIOS version are you using?

• 3 weeks later...
I've hit the exact same problem, the DSDT patcher does not seem to work, gives this error:

./dsdt_fixed.txt 1213: CreateDWordField (BUF1, Local2, CAPB)

What BIOS version are you using?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=0#entry1294849

completely working. No DSDT issues. Only thing that doesn't work is sleep. Everything else works 100%

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=0#entry1294849

completely working. No DSDT issues. Only thing that doesn't work is sleep. Everything else works 100%

The link doesn't work,

Here's the guide on here I followed: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

And here's a zip of the files I used, take absolutely no credit in any of it... just compiled {censored} that worked for me... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BXOJGSJ0

Included the 27ae.sh so that you can patch it yourself... but I also put the patched kexts cause I'm lazy and it's for my machines, lol

Kaho, Thanks for the package. It all worked great.