Successful M4A78T-E mobo AMD Phenom II x4 955 INSTALL

evil666

41 posts in this topic

Ok here we go.

I have a

M4A78T-E mother board

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition Processor

4 gigs of gskill ram

I have attempted to use iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition. Upon boot i have used the following commands all at once, in different orders and one at a time. -v -s -f cpu=1 etc

When the dvd starts to spin and hfac shows up on the first three lines of display and then the pc reboots. I can't even ketch the error if there is one. Currently i am using WS2500JS drive with windows 7 on it. I assumed that after I booted with dvd i could just format the drive since its a spare. I am wondering if i should format it ahead of time.

I need help. I am not the greatest at this but I have been reading for a long time about hackintosh's and have attempted to do this so many times. Any one that can help would be my best friend till the end.

If you need further information let me know. Like I said when it comes to any type of error it happens too fast to ketch.

With -v the dvd starts to spin and then it tries to due some hfac type of stuff. Only like 3-5 lines of code shows up prior to it rebooting. I have definatly gotten further then this with kernel panics on my old mobo and processor.

Oh and i have tried the AHCI suggestion in bios as well.

I have tried dvd installation from both a sata dvd drive and a usb 2.0 dvd drive. I no longer have an ide dvd drive that works.

UPDATE::

Ok since this subject has pretty much been completed I am just going to put everything I have done to be successful.

Specs I have

M4A78T-E mother board

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition Processor

4 gigs of gskill ram

Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT

Download and burn iDeneb 1.6 light 10.5.8

Make sure you have your Sata DVD Drive and Sata Hard drive plugged into sata ports 1-4 on mobo otherwise they won't be recognized by disk.

When disk boots press F8 and use the following commands

-v -F cpus=2 fsb=200000000 maxmem=4096 <-- this maxmem will change depending on how much ram you have, for example 1 gig =1024, 2 gig=2048, etc.

When it boots make sure you format the hard drive using disk utility on disk. Make sure you use extended journal option when formating. Name your image something like OSX86.

After formatting the drive should now show up and you should be able choose that disk for installation. Next step is to choose customize option right before install.

This is what I chose to have an successful boot after installation remember this is for my cpu and mobo:

Bootloader

Chameleon v1.0.12

Kernel

9.5.0 Kernel Voodoo

iDeneb x86 Essential Patches

AppleDecrypt

-AppleSMBIOS Patched

AppleSMBIOS 1333 Mhz

Disabler

DSDT Patcher

TimeMachine fix

OpenHaltRestart

AboutThisMac fix

SystemProfiler fix

Fix

AppleHDA 10.5.6

CPUS=1_fix

Firewire Remove

idlehaltFix

IOPCMCIAFamily

SD/SDHCI Drivers

IOUSBFamilyfix

Mouse Lag Fix

Seatbelt fix

Drivers

-Audio

AppleAzaliaAudio

VoodooHDA

-Chipset

AppleATIAATA

AppleNForceATA

ICHx Fixed

JMicronATA

SAS

SiliconImage3132

VIA/SIS/Marvell/Uli

-Network

None due to the fact it does not have any drivers for my NIC

-Video

All nvidia

After choosing those go ahead and start installation. After installation is done reboot.

When it restarts hit space bar when you see chamilion bootloader countdown. Then type the following

cpus=2 fsb=200000000 maxmem=4096

When the OS starts up navigate to library/Preferences/System Configuration

Then make a backup of com.apple.Boot.plist and make an additional copy of it to so you can edit it. Lets edit it looks like this below.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>idlehalt=0 cpus=2 fsb=200000000</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

save it and move it over to library/Preferences/System Configuration and overwrite the one in there. It will ask for your password to overwrite. This is done so you no longer have to type cpus=2 fsb=200000000 anymore up on bootup. This way its all done for you.

Next if you have the same mobo i have, your NIC won't be working so perform the following:

Download the attached file below

Extract it and copy the files to a usb stick so you can copy this over to your osx86.

Then run terminal

Applications>Utilites>Terminal; Run Terminal

I copied the folder that was extracted from the zip file to my desk top and renamed it driver just for ease.

In Terminal type in cd <path to the extracted folder> e.g (cd desktop/driver) Then hit Enter.

Type in sudo sh installrelease.sh

Your NIC is now installed.

Well thats it. Thanks for all those that helped.

PS. Audio driver still need to be tweaked a tad but audio works, just the volume knob does not successfully change volume.

AttansicL1eEthernet.zip

It's the kernel fault. You need different kernel. AMD is not very easy to get working...

Use voodoo kernel e.g. Type -v voodoo. Voodo is the v the name of the kernel. So to load a different kernel type its name together with -v. -v is needed to see how its going.

It's the kernel fault. You need different kernel. AMD is not very easy to get working...

Use voodoo kernel e.g. Type -v voodoo. Voodo is the v the name of the kernel. So to load a different kernel type its name together with -v. -v is needed to see how its going.

Awesome

Thanks I will give that a try when i get home.

Hrmm from what I see in the documentation is that Voodoo is the default kernel

"kernel Default Dvd: Voodoo 9.5.0 Intel/AMD SSE2/SSE3"

Either way i will still try it.

Oops! There must be some other kernels. e.g. AnV , stageXNU, voodooXNU, tohkernel, modbin, tsckernel, sleep. I don't know what is the contents of the DVD.

Yeah there were other kernels that I tried. These are the kernels in the documentation.

Kernel

Vanilla 9.8.0

Qoopz 9.8.0

AnV 9.7.0

Vodoo 9.5.0

Still the same thing happened. But I was able to get more info on where it reboots

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading Kernel mach_kernel

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 422d690.

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 422d690.

LoadDrivers: Loading from [/system/Library/Extensions.mkext]

Loading HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Extensions.mkext] from 422d<---pic cuts off here

Loading HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Extensions.mkext] from 422d<---pic cuts off here

Loading HFS+ something

Starting OSX32

And then it reboots no matter what kernel i use.

This is what I typed after hitting f8

"Voodoo" -f -v

"Vanilla" -f -v

"Qoopz" -f -v

"AnV" -f -v

Not sure if I am typing something wrong but I am stuck here.

Hey evil,

I'm working on my second hackintosh right now which is a Phenom II X4 955. Its on a Biostar AM3 mobo and I also have 4 gigs of 1333 Gskill RAM.

What you need to do is boot the dvd with the following:

-v -x -F cpus=1 fsb=200000000 maxmem=2048

That should do the trick. Remember to install with either the 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel or any non-Vanilla 9.7.0 kernel and you need the Seatbelt kext.

Unfortunately I can't get all 4 cores to show up. Both system profiler and activity monitor report only 1 cpu. I've tried a million different bios settings and Darwin reports 4 cores when its starting up. I'm not sure what to do now. If you figure out a setting that works let me know. Good Luck.

Hey evil,

I'm working on my second hackintosh right now which is a Phenom II X4 955. Its on a Biostar AM3 mobo and I also have 4 gigs of 1333 Gskill RAM.

What you need to do is boot the dvd with the following:

-v -x -F cpus=1 fsb=200000000 maxmem=2048

That should do the trick. Remember to install with either the 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel or any non-Vanilla 9.7.0 kernel and you need the Seatbelt kext.

Unfortunately I can't get all 4 cores to show up. Both system profiler and activity monitor report only 1 cpu. I've tried a million different bios settings and Darwin reports 4 cores when its starting up. I'm not sure what to do now. If you figure out a setting that works let me know. Good Luck.

So far so good. All is installed. I still have to type -v -x -F cpus=1 fsb=200000000 maxmem=2048 to get it to boot. Is there a way i can put that in start up so i never have to type it? Also my nic isn't noticed on the OS. I have an ASUS

M4A78T-E mother board, any one know what driver i need? I installed all drivers on dvd just incase and it still isn't working. If some one know please let me know and how to install it. Like I said i am a noob and I am sorry i need my hand held....but once i do it and I am success full I don't usually forget. Plus I am taking notes on all of this.

I had to install it on an IDE drive and used a usb dvd drive to read the dvd. Is there a way to create a image of the OS now and copy it over to Sata...now that the sata drivers are installed. Something like Symantec ghost to create an image and copy to sata drive.

First things first my NIC. Any help would be great. Mean time i will be searching the forum.

Thank you all who have helped

Actually it still seems that none of my sata stuff is working. Reason is, my sata dvd isn't being recognized either.

In the com.apple.Boot.plst

Would I have the code likes this for start up flags?

Original:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<String>mack_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<String>idlehalt=0 cpus=2</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<String>5</string>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plst>

to this?

Modified

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<String>mack_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<String>idlehalt=0 cpus=1 fsb=200000000 maxmem=2048</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<String>5</string>

<string></string>

I just don't want to screw it up so bad i wont boot if something isn't in the right place.

UPDATE:

Took a change and did just like this

<String>idlehalt=0 cpus=1 -F fsb=200000000 maxmem=2048</string>

in that code and it launches properly.

Just make sure to make a copy of com.apple.Boot.plist and put it on desktop...edit it and drag and drop it over original after. Just make sure you have a back up of the original as well. This is easier cause the dragging and droping just asks you to authenticate with password. Editing it directly in folder, the OS will not allow you to save....But will let you overwrite the file :)

All I have left is the NIC and Sata issue. Any ideas?

Hey I was gonna tell you to modify your boot.plist but I see you have that taken care of. If during the installation you installed the cpus=1 fix then you really only need to declare fsb=200000000 to boot into the OS. As far as SATA goes I would just do a clean install. Use the AMD chipset kext provided on the iDeneb or iAtkos distros or if you have an Nvidia chipset use that. Also make sure you pick the smbios that supports 1333 memory. I'm not sure if selecting all drivers and fixes is the best idea as it could cause conflicts.

Also did you check Activity Monitor to see how many cores are running?

I have come to the conclusion that Chameleon 2 cannot read the correct FSB and multiplier info. I might have to modify the DSDT to make sure OS X is reading everything correctly. Anyone corrected CPU aliases on a phenom II x4? I can't get the file to compile. ;)

Hey I was gonna tell you to modify your boot.plist but I see you have that taken care of. If during the installation you installed the cpus=1 fix then you really only need to declare fsb=200000000 to boot into the OS. As far as SATA goes I would just do a clean install. Use the AMD chipset kext provided on the iDeneb or iAtkos distros or if you have an Nvidia chipset use that. Also make sure you pick the smbios that supports 1333 memory. I'm not sure if selecting all drivers and fixes is the best idea as it could cause conflicts.

Also did you check Activity Monitor to see how many cores are running?

I have come to the conclusion that Chameleon 2 cannot read the correct FSB and multiplier info. I might have to modify the DSDT to make sure OS X is reading everything correctly. Anyone corrected CPU aliases on a phenom II x4? I can't get the file to compile. ;)

I was able to get away with -F cpus=2 fsb=200000000 maxmem=4096

I have a amd mobo but i think its

Chipsets

North Bridge AMD 790GX

South Bridge AMD SB750

"As far as SATA goes I would just do a clean install. Use the AMD chipset kext provided on the iDeneb " <-- unfortunatly with a sata dvd and drive install will not happen. Not sure why but i had to use a usb dvd drive and ide drive. Since its installed how do I install sata driver? I thought i chose it on dvd but I my sata dvd drive will not work.

hmm what mode is your drive set to in your BIOS? Make sure its set to AHCI and not native ide or legacy ide or combined sata/ide. OS X loves AHCI and this should fix your drive problem.

Every time set AHCI in the bios, upon reboot if i press f8 that sata dvd does not show up in the list of things to boot.

That being said It would be nice to have the sata working but my NIC is more important right now.

NIC i have is the one directly on mobo M4A78T-E.

Any one have any ideas, i installed the nic drivers on ideneb and doesn't seem to work at all. Also is there a way to apply a patch thats on install dvd that i can apply without having to reinstall the entire OS?

Hey guys, I have the same problem as thread starter I've tried what IHackz said and it didn't work. I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2. My system specs are:

GeForce 9800 GTX+

AMD Phenom II X2 550 (SSE2 SSE3 2 cores)

4 gigs ram

MA770T-UDP3 mobo

Any ideas?

For all noobs like me this may help you all no matter what the driver is. But I fixed my NIC using this previous post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161671

Only thing is his explanation is a bit messed up. So i will fix up the grammar

First: Download the file attached. Obviously from another machine/partitioned OS

Second: Stick said downloaded file onto a jumpdrive, burn it to disk, or telepathically transfer the information to the OSX install. :>

Third: Extract the contents to a folder. Label said folder something relatively simple.

Fourth: Navigate to Applications>Utilites>Terminal; Run Terminal

Fifth: Don't be scared of Terminal, it is your friend. :3 type in cd <path to the extracted folder> e.g (cd desktop/driver) Then hit Enter.

Sixth: Type in sudo sh installrelease.sh

evil666::If you used terminal above then you won't need these below. If you want something easier use the tools below. With the Kext helper you can just drag and drop the installrelease.sh and type your password in and click easy install.

Seventh: Download Kext Helper, or use OSX86Tools You can use google to find both of them. Once you have obtained one or the other navigate to the folder you extracted the zip to earlier and inside there will be a release folder and inside that will be the kext you need to install.

Eighth: Pet Terminal and tell him how much of a good little shell he has been. (THIS IS THE MOST CRITICAL STEP >:unsure: DO NOT FORGET)

This did work for me using a P5KPL-CM Mobo so you other Atheros users I must warn you results may vary. I will check back on this topic to try and answer any problems you may encounter. Or you can email me at gabriellorn@yahoo.com

Later guys.

Both tools mentioned above seem to be very helpful. OSX86Tools seems to be discontinued but still can be downloaded. I wish the download server in it would funciton.

Only issue I have left to figure out is SATA. Also is it safe to do software updates? I was going to update itunes and then software update manager said i had alot more to update. Not sure what stuff I can update and what I shouldn't

2nd post above has been edited with full details on how to install iDeneb 1.6 light 10.5.8 with my specs. I hope it helps all the noobs cause we need all the help we can get. If any one was to use it as a tutorial feel free. Any comments or tips go ahead and post.

nice writeup evil666.

Okawari: give us some more details on your setup. How are you booting? SATA or IDE? Also try the newest releases by iDeneb iAtkos or iPC since they contain better support for newer chipsets based around AMD.

An extra piece of info. If you are using an AM3 board there is a high chance that your DSDT may be buggy. If you can't get all your cores to show up, then you must fix you DSDT and recompile. I suggest DSDTSE.

good luck to everyone. OS X blazes on a Phenom II ;)

nice writeup evil666.

Okawari: give us some more details on your setup. How are you booting? SATA or IDE? Also try the newest releases by iDeneb iAtkos or iPC since they contain better support for newer chipsets based around AMD.

An extra piece of info. If you are using an AM3 board there is a high chance that your DSDT may be buggy. If you can't get all your cores to show up, then you must fix you DSDT and recompile. I suggest DSDTSE.

good luck to everyone. OS X blazes on a Phenom II :P

interesting tool. Trying to figure out how it work so i can fix this lid issue on my laptop.

Also I would like all my cores to work on my pc. Not sure what fix or hack does that in this tool.

Im kind of chicken when using this took cause i don't want to screw anything up and don't know wtf i am doing.

Looking at it further...Yeah I maybe bugging you for a walk through. I mean I see how to select the fix or hack code, then grab my current code into and editor. Edit it and then save it to a .dsl file. But from there I am lost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
UPDATE::

After choosing those go ahead and start installation. After installation is done reboot.

When it restarts hit space bar when you see chamilion bootloader countdown. Then type the following

cpus=2 fsb=200000000 maxmem=4096

When the OS starts up navigate to library/Preferences/System Configuration

Then make a backup of com.apple.Boot.plist and make an additional copy of it to so you can edit it. Lets edit it looks like this below.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>idlehalt=0 cpus=2 fsb=200000000</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

save it and move it over to library/Preferences/System Configuration and overwrite the one in there. It will ask for your password to overwrite. This is done so you no longer have to type cpus=2 fsb=200000000 anymore up on bootup. This way its all done for you.

Thank you so much for your instruction. Luckily I had a similar system like yours and was successful hackin my system without a glitch. However I don't know if it helps or not, but what I did little different is I used cpus=4 instead of 2, since this is quad core system and the system seems to run fine.

Just my 2 cents.

post-564408-1266557439_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

OMFG Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!! Success! :D I have been trying this for 3 months and I finally got it to install using your method. You have the most detailed steps I have ever seen, everything worked exactly as you said.

I have the same mobo, has anyone been able to get the default graphics driver to work? :)

thats my only complaint is that the resolution won't go above 1024x768 by default. I'll do some research but I will probably end up buying a graphics card anyways.

Let me first start off with saying thank you for making this great walk through.

Now heres my situation. My system is a Phenom 9950 BE on a M3A78-T AM2+ with 4 gigs of ram. Would the same fsb speed be the same for my system? Sorry I know this is a newb question but I'm trying. :)

Let me first start off with saying thank you for making this great walk through.

Now heres my situation. My system is a Phenom 9950 BE on a M3A78-T AM2+ with 4 gigs of ram. Would the same fsb speed be the same for my system? Sorry I know this is a newb question but I'm trying. :wacko:

To be hones I am not sure how the math works. I just tried it from some sort of search I did in some forums. You can always try, worse case scenario it doens't boot... then try again.