HD4870

elastic

92 posts in this topic

Hey,

i've managed to get SL working using the blackosx guide (great guide, thanks!) . i'm on a EP35-DS4

now i'm struggling to get my Sapphire HD4870 512mb Dual DVI TVO to work on SL

the only wait to get SL to boot is to deactivate both ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext in S/L/E

i've tried ATY_init, with no success

anyone got this gfx card working in SL?

can you please be kind a post a step-by-step guide for the rest of us 4870 owners?

cheers!

if u look at plist of evoenabler, you will find weird things, like data/number keys inserted as string and etc..

I don't want to repeat such errors in new aty_init, but without such errors it doesn't work, need to figure out which exactly key is problematic

if u look at plist of evoenabler, you will find weird things, like data/number keys inserted as string and etc..

I don't want to repeat such errors in new aty_init, but without such errors it doesn't work, need to figure out which exactly key is problematic

things like this:?

<key>AAPL,EMC-Display-List</key>

<data>

AwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAbkgAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

EAAAHJIAAAAAAAAAAAAABhAAACGSAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

</data>

i haven't tried evoenabler yet, going to do that now

but good to ear from you netkas, i may not sell my hd4870 just yet now :)

just to give a much clear feedback netkas, with your ATY_Init.kext and a gfx string I get to the closest point. In other cases the display stops to work and loses signal. With ATY_Init.kext at least i see something. Really weird, but something. Do you have an efi .plist for a 1gb 4870 for me to try with?

Thank you very very much for all your work!

SUCCESS!

(at least, i believe so eheh)

edited EVOenabler.kext info.plist and replaced the HD4890 <key>entriesToAdd</key> with the one on ATY_init.kext for HD4870

put it on /Extra/Extensions

activated both ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext

now i have dual DVI and all the goodies working

if anyone wants, i posted the edited EVOenabler.kext

EVOenabler.zip

just tested the setup with apple motion 4, rocking solid for the last hour

SUCCESS!

edited EVOenabler.kext info.plist and replaced the HD4890 <key>entriesToAdd</key> with the one on ATY_init.kext for HD4870

EVOenabler.zip

I LOVE YOU :D :D That worked a treat :)

SUCCESS!

EVOenabler.zip

Fast question, when you write taht you activated ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext, what did you exactly meen by that?, Wil try this out as fast as I get SL installed by the way :)

Fast question, when you write taht you activated ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext, what did you exactly meen by that?, Wil try this out as fast as I get SL installed by the way :D

What I did was to use Kext helper to install them. (I had previously removed them as they were stopping SL from booting). Good luck :)

Well, now that you guys got it working, I suppose it's okay to highjack your thread and ask if you think it will work for the 3870. I examined the original EVOenabler and and yours, and it looks like you changed the ATY,bin_image and the name of the card, but there is no ATY,bin_image in ATY_init.kext for the 3870. Would having that help?

Even after adding the EVOenabler I am still stuck at the gray screen with no spinning clock.

ATI4800Controller did not need editing because the device ID was correct.

Could you list what ATY_init kext are you using for the 4870?

Do you have Natit installed?

Are the ATI2000 kexts all stock from 10.6?

My DSDT file seems good but I have not added the graphics string to smbios.plist—is this necessary.

A setp by step guide or a list of the required kexts would really help. Been at this 2 days on and off!

Here is the verbose boot screen. You can see the ATY-init kext load and then there is a message about a base address and then the screen goes and stays gray. Any ideas?

post-145918-1251842224_thumb.jpg

I had it working with ATY_Init.kext, but veeerry slooowly (slow results on glview around 10-15 fps).

This was without removing any original kext.

Will try now this modified evoenabler and post results.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

EDIT:

Works.

Using Modified EVOenabler.kext from elastic.

Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 4870 1GB Dual DVI.

GLVIEW:

1.1 - 2486

1.2 - 2487

1.3 - 2464

1.4 - 2450

1.5 - 2452

2.0 - 2403

2.1 - 123

All slower than in Leopard (and in leopard it was working slower than previous 4850), but better than the ATY_Init. In Leopard 1.1 to 2.0 give around 3000-3100, 2.1 gives 123.

XBench:

QG: 227 (better than in Leopard, same as 4850 in Leo)

OGL: 85 (slower than Leopard, which was 150, and also slower than 4850 Leo, which was 230).

I want this card to go faster than my previous 4850. What do I need to do?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

thankyou elastic, your evoenabler is pretty good. I can only see a few nasty thing. The first is that at the boot, when graphics are loaded the display stop to respond and i have to unplug and replug the display cable to get the image back. the second is that after wake from sleep the image gets fuzzy and pretty unreadable, i have to reboot to get it back...

EDIT:

Works.

Using Modified EVOenabler.kext from elastic.

Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 4870 1GB Dual DVI.

GLVIEW:

1.1 - 2486

1.2 - 2487

1.3 - 2464

1.4 - 2450

1.5 - 2452

2.0 - 2403

got 3000+ with a 4870 with 512mb. maybe the driver doesn't support the 1gb

Even after adding the EVOenabler I am still stuck at the gray screen with no spinning clock.

ATI4800Controller did not need editing because the device ID was correct.

Could you list what ATY_init kext are you using for the 4870?

Do you have Natit installed?

Are the ATI2000 kexts all stock from 10.6?

My DSDT file seems good but I have not added the graphics string to smbios.plist�€â€is this necessary.

A setp by step guide or a list of the required kexts would really help. Been at this 2 days on and off!

Here is the verbose boot screen. You can see the ATY-init kext load and then there is a message about a base address and then the screen goes and stays gray. Any ideas?

try to remove the aty_init.kext.

you just need the 10.6 ati4800 and ati2000 kext with the evoenabler in /extra/ext not /s/l/e

Thanks Matty, that did the job.

Seems fairly stable but still occasional KP from somewhere.

Tried all usual culprits and Little Snitch beta for 10.6 was one source/

you just need the 10.6 ati4800 and ati2000 kext with the evoenabler in /extra/ext not /s/l/e

got 3000+ with a 4870 with 512mb. maybe the driver doesn't support the 1gb

did you have to delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /s/l/e ? and edit ATI4800Controller.kext ?

or with evoenabler is all you need?

also does evoenabler work in s/l/e? or only in /extra?

Thanks elastic for this great solution. I got my HD4870 card working with this kext.

BTW, I noticed something. During boot up, I can hear the fan spinning on graphics card. But once the graphics window appears, it goes almost complete silence. It is very abrupt. Does anyone experience this?

Everything else works fine.