Finally successful on EP35-DS4

harbri

25 posts in this topic

EDIT 29-08: Added kexts, dsdt and plists to the post.

Hi,

After many installs and a lot of random kernel panics I finally succeeded in installing SL on my Gigabyte EP35-DS4 based system. Here's the method that was successful for me:

* Formatted a 8Gb USB-stick into a GUID partition with diskutility

* Installed Chameleon RC1 on the stick

* Installed EFIv10_1 on the stick

* Copied DSDT file to root of the stick

* Copied smbios.plist (with UUID of stick!!) to Extra folder on the stick

* Copied boot.plist (with UUID of stick!!) to Extra folder on the stick

* Used mkext utility to create mkext containing fakesmc.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext (with UUID of stick!!), LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext and LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext and copied the mkext to the Extra folder on the stick

* Deleted the Extensions folder within the Extra folder on the stick

* Restored the 10.6 image to the stick using diskutility (don't mark "erase destination"!!)

* Formatted harddisk into a GUID partition with diskutlity and made a note of the UUID of that partition

* Created a folder "Temp" on stick

* Copied smbios.plist (with UUID of harddisk!!) to Temp folder on the stick

* Copied boot.plist (with UUID of harddisk!!) to Temp folder on the stick

* Used mkext utility to create mkext containing fakesmc.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext (with UUID of harddisk!!), LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext and LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext and copied the mkext to the Temp folder on the stick

* Booted my PC from stick, started installation of SL to the harddisk.

* After installation restarted my PC from stick, started installdisk again and went into terminal after the language selection menu (that is before the actual install process).

* Created a folder Extra on the root of the SL-harddisk.

* Copied DSDT file from stick to SL-harddisk.

* Copied smbios.plist, boot.plist and mkext from Temp folder on stick to Extra folder on harddisk.

* Deleted Extensions folder in the Extra folder on the harddisk.

* Rebooted PC from stick, in GUI-menu selected harddisk to boot from.

* Succesfully booted into SL

* Installed Chameleon RC1 and PC_Efi 10.1 on harddisk so that I don't need the stick anymore to boot.

I found out after a lot of trial and error and many kernel panics that this is the only method that resulted in a perfectly working 32-bits Snow Leopard installation on my configuration. I hope that sharing my experience will help others.

Cheers,

Harbri

Config: Gigabyte EP35-DS4, Intel Core2Quad Q9550, Nividia Geforce 8800GTS, 4Gb RAM (Corsair), Samsung 500GB harddisk.

EP35_DS4.zip

Did you manage to boot it with 64bit kernel? I receive kernel panics!!

I did but only by making a new mkext (with the kexts attached to the first post) in Mkext tool and then selecting x86_64 from the pulldown menu at "Slim to processor architecture".

Does anyone have sound with the ALC 889a working? I've tried all the .kext's I can find and I either have no sound enabled at all, or it will show I have sound, but I get no output.

btw, if anyone is having problems I used this guide and it has worked perfectly for me, except for sound so far.

Edit, I have sound now. I was messing around with a few files and other settings while working on sound, but I'm pretty sure I used this file to get sound. I just copied that file to *snow leopard drive*/extra/extensions and restarted. The only other audio .kext I have in my /extra/extensions folder is LegacyHDA.kext from the guide I linked to earlier.

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live....pleHDA.kext.zip

Could you upload kext files and anything else you think is useful. I am trying two days now to install it and after the installation complete when i login after a few minutes it crashes without any reason...

same {censored} for me :(

are we tooo stupid? i ran osx since 1055 on 3 "hacks" but this time is hard :D

I like to have the .mkext, the boot & kernel and the other stuff (mdsum and location of dst, plist etc)

there must be a fault! Hope to hear from master of ...

I will try it again .... and...

Odd, I had almost no problems installing snow leopard. It was easier to install this than Leopard for me.

If its of any help for any of you still having problems, I followed this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181903

I'll upload my /Extras folder that contains all the .kexts, and .plists that make my install work. When it comes to using EFI studio to get the HEX code for your graphics card, I just used OSx86 tools to get the hex code.

My hardware:

EP35-DS4

Q6600

XFX 8800gs, 384mb

6gb DDR2 800

currently SL is on a 74gb raptor

Right now my only 2 problems are I loose sound after waking up from sleep mode and I cant get logitech control center to work.

Extra.zip

I followed the lifehacker article How to Build a Hackintosh w/ SL I downloaded the 10.6 dmg from BT. It runs circles around the old XP. The Intel HD (Azalia onboard) audio isn't detected in Sound preferences. Onboard lan works. IDE DVDRW drive doesn't get detected. Software update works. I sure wish I had sound though. The Creative Xi-Fi card isn't detected either. MSI 6600gt pci-e works great at 1680x1050 on a hp w2207 lcd. How do I get sound to work?

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3ghz

Gigabyte P35 DS3L

64bit

• 2 weeks later...

Installed it and it works fine, however it detects 8800GTS in system profiler, the card you patched the dsdt for I guess. How can I make it detect my 8600GT 512mb properly? I tried adding an EFI string bit it seems to override it somehow and still detect yours :( Is it possible to somehow re-patch the dsdt for my own hardware? (also using a DS3P mobo). It's the first time I'm setting up osx86 with retail image and using stuff like dsdt patched files (my prev osx86 was Leopard by Kalyway).

Also in the about this mac, it shows 2.67 Unknown processor instead my Q6600s frequency.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hi harbri and others,

I am getting the good old "Still waiting for root device" booting from the usb :(

Must check it out :unsure:

**Update "Still waiting for root device"

I Used another USB stick to install SL from it so I had an UUID mismatch!!

Now I got a "Waiting for DSMOS"

**/Update

Anywayz, I see that you have a new graphicscard the HD 4890.

I got the sapphire HD 4870 512MB but I still did not manage to get it worked under SL.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

M.

I followed the lifehacker article How to Build a Hackintosh w/ SL I downloaded the 10.6 dmg from BT. It runs circles around the old XP. The Intel HD (Azalia onboard) audio isn't detected in Sound preferences. Onboard lan works. IDE DVDRW drive doesn't get detected. Software update works. I sure wish I had sound though. The Creative Xi-Fi card isn't detected either. MSI 6600gt pci-e works great at 1680x1050 on a hp w2207 lcd. How do I get sound to work?

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3ghz

Gigabyte P35 DS3L

64bit