iWork 09 Just getting Blank Pages

pcmaczone

15 posts in this topic

Just installed the retail version of iWork 09 and everything seems to have gone fine but, when I open "Pages" and look in the template chooser I can clearly see all the templates but if I open one all I get is a blank page. this happens in "Numbers" and "Keynote" also. I have deleted and re-installed it but it's the same. If i click the "outline" button I do see the template for a split second and then back to the blank page. The templates are obviously loading I just can't see them.

I''m running Flash OSX Leopard 10.5.6 for Pen drive (installed to a 80Gb usb drive)

Intel E2180 dual core

4Gb Ram

MSI Neo 2 P35 Motherboard

ATI 4850 Graphics (not supported but getting 1680x1050x32 anyway using "graphics mode" at start up)

Just about everything works fine apart from apps that require a quartz extreme compatible graphics card.

So, anyone else have the same problem? Could it be specific to my install of OS X ?

Thanks in advance.

• 5 weeks later...
cant I get any help

I am having the same problem. i was having the very same problem with iweb 09 so i downloaded iweb 08 and applied the fix to the defaults.plist file and it works perfect. the same fix wont work with 09. im going to download iworks 08 and try the fix ill let you know if it works.

Just installed the retail version of iWork 09 and everything seems to have gone fine but, when I open "Pages" and look in the template chooser I can clearly see all the templates but if I open one all I get is a blank page. this happens in "Numbers" and "Keynote" also. I have deleted and re-installed it but it's the same. If i click the "outline" button I do see the template for a split second and then back to the blank page. The templates are obviously loading I just can't see them.

I''m running Flash OSX Leopard 10.5.6 for Pen drive (installed to a 80Gb usb drive)

Intel E2180 dual core

4Gb Ram

ATI 4850 Graphics (not supported but getting 1680x1050x32 anyway using "graphics mode" at start up)

Just about everything works fine apart from apps that require a quartz extreme compatible graphics card.

So, anyone else have the same problem? Could it be specific to my install of OS X ?

Thanks in advance.

You need QE/CI working, thats why iWork 09 doesn't work on older macs that don't support these features.

Sorry, I'm a noob but I have the same problem, so what exactly is the QE/CI?

How do I fix this problem?

QE = Quartz Extreme

CI= Core Image

Quartz Extreme

Some appealing graphics effects, such as the "rotating cube" effect you see when using Fast User Switching to switch users, are powered by Quartz Extreme. Quartz Extreme uses OpenGL and a supported graphics card to reduce the number of onscreen calculations being performed by the CPU. To take advantage of Quartz Extreme, you need one of the following graphics cards:

* ATI: Any AGP-based/PCI-E ATI RADEON GPU, with 16 MB VRAM or better.

* NVIDIA: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX or later, with 16 MB VRAM or better.

Core Image

Other graphics effects and optimizations such as the ripple effect that shows when you place a widget on Dashboard, are driven by Core Image. When a programmable GPU is present, Core Image uses the graphics card for image processing operations, freeing the CPU for other tasks. To take advantage of Core Image, you need one of the following graphics cards:

* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

* ATI Radeon 9550, 9650, 9600, 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT

* nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200

* nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

* nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

All newer graphics cards also support QE/CI but the problem is, finding drivers for them. unlike a PC based system Apple doesn't licence "clone" systems and has stuck to producing their own machines. This has the down side that usually you can only find drivers for cards that they fit as standard or cards sold specifically for MAC's. So, even though we may have a bang up to date card like the 4850/4870 the availability of drivers is thin on the ground and, even if you find one you may not be able to get it to work with your version of OS X.

QE = Quartz Extreme

CI= Core Image

Quartz Extreme

Some appealing graphics effects, such as the "rotating cube" effect you see when using Fast User Switching to switch users, are powered by Quartz Extreme. Quartz Extreme uses OpenGL and a supported graphics card to reduce the number of onscreen calculations being performed by the CPU. To take advantage of Quartz Extreme, you need one of the following graphics cards:

* ATI: Any AGP-based/PCI-E ATI RADEON GPU, with 16 MB VRAM or better.

* NVIDIA: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX or later, with 16 MB VRAM or better.

Core Image

Other graphics effects and optimizations such as the ripple effect that shows when you place a widget on Dashboard, are driven by Core Image. When a programmable GPU is present, Core Image uses the graphics card for image processing operations, freeing the CPU for other tasks. To take advantage of Core Image, you need one of the following graphics cards:

* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

* ATI Radeon 9550, 9650, 9600, 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT

* nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200

* nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

* nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

All newer graphics cards also support QE/CI but the problem is, finding drivers for them. unlike a PC based system Apple doesn't licence "clone" systems and has stuck to producing their own machines. This has the down side that usually you can only find drivers for cards that they fit as standard or cards sold specifically for MAC's. So, even though we may have a bang up to date card like the 4850/4870 the availability of drivers is thin on the ground and, even if you find one you may not be able to get it to work with your version of OS X.

As a hint I'm using PC EFI v10.3 with my 4870 and its working very well with NO other 3rd party graphics kext :(

As a hint I'm using PC EFI v10.3 with my 4870 and its working very well with NO other 3rd party graphics kext :)

Thanks. My problem is the only version of OS X I have been able to get working with my machine is Iatkos base system 10.5.5 updated to 10.5.6 with combo update from Apple and PCEFIV9 from Netkas. It boots from a USB hard drive. All other versions I have tried loading direct onto my system fail. Not sure why. Hence I'm in a bit of a tight spot with regard to drivers...that and my lack of knowledge in how to get these things running properly.

• 3 months later...
You need QE/CI working, thats why iWork 09 doesn't work on older macs that don't support these features.

Well, I was using iWork '08 quite well without QE/CI (Pages and Keynote worked)

Plus, my graphics real sucks. It's ati x200m, you know.

So why does iWork '09 require QE/CI all of sudden?

Could this is one of the things done by Apple against Hackintosh users?

P.S Methods for enabling iWork '08 without QE/CI is discussed in here: www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59654

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The QE/CI story doesn't make sense as I have near the same install on an eeepc and a dell, both with GMA950 style graphics cards. eeepc works fine with iWorks and the dell doesn't. I admit the source of the GMA950 drivers were different as I think they are slightly different in terms on model 0x27a2 compared to 0x27ae, but i didn't think that mattered.

My gut feel is a 32 / 64 bit problem as I have problems with other 32 bit apps on my dell (64 bit cpu).

• 2 months later...

Intel E2180 dual core

4Gb Ram

Thanks in advance.

normally, when you choose a temp and open it, the application will show only 1page(maybe, it's blank), and if you want to more this kind of the temp, you need to click the "add page" icon at the tool bar, in that list you can find all you choosen temps.

• 1 month later...

Intel E2180 dual core

4Gb Ram

Thanks in advance.

QE is required to use iwork 09. :whistle: