10.5.8 deep sleep problem?

bolly

274 posts in this topic

I took disabler.kext out of extensions.mkext and out of /Extra/Extensions and now sleep works again.

Use mkexttool to edit extensions.mkext

Be sure to keep a backup!!!!

@jimmydigital00

You're right. Sleep mode's working after I removed Disabler.kext (IntelCPUPMDisabler).

edit:

Also, I tried to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, the system couldn't get to sleep. I had to reinstall the kext.

I would like to know what AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is working for. I read some said that CPU temperature will increase if the kext was loaded.

I took disabler.kext out of extensions.mkext and out of /Extra/Extensions and now sleep works again.

Be sure to keep a backup!!!!

Can you please explain in more detail as I am needing just some hand holding. Thanks.

You can also try removing IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

Should be located either in Extra or in System/Library/Extensions

Both Disabler and IntelCPUPMDisabler perform similar tasks so you may have one or the other.

Check for these files in

/Extra

/System/Library/Extensions

Also use mkext tool

to check the Extensions.mkext file as well.

You will need to create a new .mkext using the mkext tool after removing the file.

I rolled back to mach_kernel 9.7 from 9.8 and that solved my sleep problems.

I still can't do a timed sleep (which was a problem before the update), but manually from the Apple Menu works.

I rolled back to mach_kernel 9.7 from 9.8 and that solved my sleep problems.

I still can't do a timed sleep (which was a problem before the update), but manually from the Apple Menu works.

Could you send me the 10.5.7 kernel? I don't have it available. thanks!

So far, I've tried the disabler solution, the intelcpupmdisabler solution, the appleintelcpupowermanagement solution, and even the rollback kernel solution, and it still won't go into deep sleep. Any other ideas or solutions by chance? Any input would be great, and I don't wanna have to reinstall everything just to roll back to 10.5.7.

Both Disabler and IntelCPUPMDisabler perform similar tasks so you may have one or the other.

Disabler.kext also disables AppleEFIRuntime.kext and AppleSMC.kext (or something like that). Whats weird is that removing Disabler.kext fixes sleep for some while at the same time AppleEFIRuntime.kext is known to prevent sleep (including on my laptop). I just installed 10.5.8 so once I reboot I will know if sleep still works or not.

You can also try removing IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

Should be located either in Extra or in System/Library/Extensions

Check for these files in

/Extra

/System/Library/Extensions

Also use mkext tool

to check the Extensions.mkext file as well.

You will need to create a new .mkext using the mkext tool after removing the file.

I got up this pass. But, how to install the new Extensions.mkext from mkext tool If when delete Extensions.mkext from System/Library/Extensions he is substitutes for original arquive?

obs: Sorry for my bad english? I am Brasilian. rsrs

Make sure you're not overlooking NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. I'd removed Disabler.kext and was frustrated by sleep still not working, then I discovered that and removed it. Sleep now works 100% at the expense of my CPU running a few degrees hotter.

Narrowing things down, I find that my system sleeps&resumes from sleep (manually&automatically) if and only if I have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded. I had to use Disabler.kext during the 10.5.8 upgrade, but I'm no longer using it.

I am running voodoopower as well to control p-states, as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is not working for that.

Under 10.5.7 sleep&resume worked fine without AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

just for the record:

deleting the kexts + removing the extensions.mkext (backup is booted) AND/OR (not sure) -f @darwin does the same, as either deleting or a -f boot creates a new extensions.mkext (from the kexts found in extensions folder) ?

i always do both : )

also i "touch" the extensions folder, and perform a permission repair before rebooting with -f.

can anybody give me an "amen" please, that this is correct... : )

I also have sleep problem - GA EP35-DS3

I can load AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext, DSDT patched. OK

BUT!!!

Sleep isnt working even with that loaded.

BAD:

Much higher CPU temp = much more powerconsumtion on CPU, especially if low CPU % (37 Celsius rises to 46 Celsius!, same 10% cpu load while surfing).

Fans running much more , CPU needs more power, ....

So you must really summary advantadge and disadvantage (if sleep works but of cost by much higher cpu temp/more cpu watts)

My opionion:

I will forget sleep "problem" (even if it would work) and not use AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext

I will simple shutdown / start if i dont need it longer.

Its fast (HINT: remove AppleHWSensor.kext to start a bit faster, istnt working but takes time to search sensors).

The more powerconsumtion of CPU (hotter) over the working day + more fan noise is much more bad than an powersaving with sleep for shorter time or that little shutdown/restart time consumtion.

Same problem to me, for a working sleep i have deleted AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext, but cpu go to 39°C from 48°C

now i try voodoo-power kext and temperature decrese to 42°C.

Now testing...

I had the same sleep issues with 10.5.8, but I did't have the Disabler.kext. The working solution was to copy the 9.7.0 kernel from backup and install it with OSX86 Tools. Everything works just fine now.

Open Terminal and type the following command:

cp /Volumes/<your-time-machine-volume-name>/Backups.backupdb/<your-username>/2009-08-01-040710/<Your-Volume-Name>/mach_kernel ~/Desktop/

Replace the names in <> with tyour actual values.

Then use OSX86 Tools "Install or Restore Kernel" wizard, backup your 9.8.0 kernel ( I have used the suggested name) and point to the mach_kernel file on your desktop. When prompted reboot, and enjoy the sleep as before.

Ok an update on my situation. Got the orange icon problem solved. Everything is working just fine, except it won't sleep properly. When I manually put it to sleep, the screen blanks but the computer itself doesn't sleep. Also, once its been manually put to sleep (if you can call it sleep) it won't wake back up.

I don't know about the CPU temperature. IS there a utility that I can run to tell me what the temperature is?