[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

OS X 10.5.6 Retail Installation Procedure for

Latitude D620 with GMA950 graphics and Broadcom Wifi

**** Shameless AD Begin

Working Vid

Working Ethernet

Working Wifi

Working Sound

Working Shutdown/Restart

Working Dual Core Support

10.5.7 Update works

10.5.8 Update works with wifi caveat - see notes.

No fuss, no muss, no cuss, most stuff just works.

No fooling with boot parameters, no fooling with kexts - that's all done.

**** Shameless AD End

Table of Contents:

1. Requirements

2. Installation of OS X 10.5.6 Retail DVD

3. 10.5.6 Post installation

4. 10.5.7 update (recommended)

5. 10.5.8 update (see notes below)

6. Notes

7. Bugs/Issues

8. Change log

9. Grandiose Plans

10. Begging for feedback (not money)

11. Link to boot CD image

Requirements

Hardware:

* Dell D620 with Intel GMA950 Graphics with DVD read capability.

Software:

* OS X 10.5.6 RETAIL install DVD. (Buy one - don't steal it)

* CD made from BOOT-132-D620v2.iso

Installation of OS X 10.5.6 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from BOOT-132-D620.iso cd image. No flags required.

- At F8 prompt, press F8.

- At the next prompt (displays "BOOT-132-D620v2.iso), hit escape.

- Insert OS X 10.5.6 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit ENTER. You may have to retry F8 then Esc a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

2. Follow installation prompts to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. **** Suggestion **** At customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default) and only select the printer drivers you will use. This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster. *** At installation completion, OS X will say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert BOOT-132-D620v2 boot CD and Reboot. Press F8 at the F8 prompt, then hit Escape and enter 80 (or the HD number you installed on).

10.5.6 post installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after boot up, do the following:

1. Open the post_install folder on the boot CD.

2. Install the Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg using all of the defaults. This is the easiest way.

3. Open terminal and copy and paste the following command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Volumes/BOOT-132-D620v2/post_install/Extra/56/post_install_1056

4. When the job completes, reboot.

10.5.7 update (recommended)

1. Open terminal and copy and paste this command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Extra/57/1057_update

2. Download and install 10.5.7 delta or 10.5.7 combo update (10.5.7 update only)

3. When the when 10.5.7 completes, reboot

Prior to 10.5.8 update (see notes below)

1. Open terminal and copy and paste this command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Extra/58/1058_update

2. Download and install 10.5.8 delta or 10.5.8 combo update

3. When the 10.5.8 update completes, reboot

Notes

1. Dell D620 with GMA950 and Broadcom wireless should have hardware accelerated video, wifi, ethernet, sound, shutdown and reboot, and dual core support working after 10.5.6 post install without modification to retail installation.

2. After 10.5.7 update is complete, everything should be working (with dual core support) just as they were in 10.5.6. The 10.5.7 update is recommended.

3. After applying 10.5.8 update, Broadcom wifi (Airport) may be broken. I've added a fix to update scripts, but they may or may not work for you. I've included the 2 kexts from 10.5.7 to replace those from the 10.5.8 update that are supposed to be the root of Evil Airport Update. If anyone needs to apply them, they are in the /extra/58 directory.

4. 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 share a GMA950 video update that breaks a 10.5.6 installation. If you apply the pre-patch for 10.5.7 without successfully applying the 10.5.7 update your video will be severely broken, and vice-versa. *** FIX: By booting into single user mode (boot flag -s at the Chameleon startup menu) you can restart the environment updates from the beginning starting with /Extra/56/post_install_1056, then /Extra/57/1057_update for 10.5.7 and so on. If the directions are followed and the environments are set up correctly, each update should go smoothly. This is basically because the Intel GMA950 hardware is {censored} and no one seems to know how to implement it in a correct and consistent manner without artifacts. Please don't send me another EFI string generated by OSX86 tools. Been there, done that and the t-shirt makes me look like a dork.

5. Instead of placing a bunch of kexts that do not seem to want to load correctly in the /Extra/Extensions folder, I built them into extensions.mkext files - one for each distribution. I've found this to be far more reliable way to get Chameleon to load appropriate kexts.

6. I haven't addressed the PCI card slot. I have it disabled (I never use it). I can add it if there's a demand and a fix I can implement in Chameleon.

7. Intel wifi cards are not supported by OS X. It's all dandy & stuff if you've got yours working, but it's still not supported and I'm not smarter than the guys trying to fix that issue. In fact, I'm barely smart enough to keep myself from drooling on my foot.

Bugs/Issues

1. If you set a system password in BIOS, your sleep may or may not work correctly. It is inconsistent at best here. There are various fixes available with all kinds of varying degrees of reported success, but I have opted not to apply any patches to the 'vanilla' installation itself for this project.

2. This installation results in minor video artifacting on my GMA950 machine. I'd like to fix it, but doing so may require a fix beyond the scope of Chameleon and EFI, and such a fix will be outside the scope of this project. Anyone with a fix I can load with from Chameleon is my new bestest friend in the whole wide world.

3. 10.5.8 airport? God knows what damage Apple's done here. There are threads all over the net on this topic. I **think** I've implemented a fix, but since this issue seems to vary from card to card, you'll have to check your own mileage.

4. The display is never properly detected and reported, but it works @ 1440 x 900 with full hardware acceleration.

5. If I plug the machine into a d/port with two monitors connected, it posts on one monitor and the OS X desktop loads on the other. Now that's almost as messed up as a politician blowing elephants on main street for a vote a herd.

Change log

v1 Original iso with more bugs than a 3 week dead beached whale in August.

v2 Dropped applehda patching. I hate slimy looking green critters.

v2 Started using voodoohda. This enables sound from the outset without adding or modifying anything in the system path. No green critters.

v2 Dropped former ps2 drivers. My cursor used to jump like a detoxing rock star, even with cpus=1 parameter.

v2 Implemented voodoops2 drivers. Provides smoother mouse operation and possibly allows for more control features to be added.

v2 Fixed kernel inconsistencies resulting in numerous malfunctions, including USB in 10.5.7 and 10.5.8. Oops, did I do that?

v2 Added Dual Core support for 10.5.7. and 10.5.8 updates.

v2 Attempted to fix Broadcom wifi issue in 10.5.8. Your mileage may vary.

v2 Sorted out video drivers compatible with each version, albeit with some artifacting.

v2 Got rid of the green lizard to make room for the Dell button. More green and for some reason, every time I booted I wanted to buy insurance.

v2 Added this somewhat long winded document.

Grandiose Plans

- Scripted builds for /Extra/Extensions.mkext based on a wider selection of hardware supporting both Nvidia and Intel graphics versions of D series Latitudes.

- Dual Core support for new kernels revisions as stable kernel patches become available.

- Better video solutions for this craptastic GMA950 video chip.

- Scripted EFI partition support.

Feedback, please

I have spent countless hours trying to get my D630 and D620 machines to boot various OS X distributions. None started simply and reliably. Out of that frustration I decided to roll my own. This method boots installation every time and the installations have been consistent, fast and reliable. Of course It'll probably work like {censored} on other hardware. I hope that others can benefit from the frustrations I've experienced in the process of learning and assembling this ISO distribution. Using this method, I can start from scratch and have a working system in a half hour. Updates are a few minutes each. Easy, breezy, almost sleezy simple.

Contributions, comments and test results from using this assembly are welcome.

Thanks

Thanks to the people at Voodoo Labs. Love your work, you are making things easier. And thanks to everyone who has posted any lame brained attempt to provide useful information at www.insanelymac.com or even farted in my direction. You've all contributed to the chaos which is part of the cosmic soup that nurtures and feeds inspiration. And if that's not a sign that I have rambled on too long now, nothing ever will be.

- leppy700m

Here's my boot cd image:

BOOT-132-D620v2.ISO

Update: D620 Nvidia replaced with Post Installer D620 D820

Update: 10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

• Like 1

OS X 10.6.0 (Snow Leopard) Retail Installation Procedure

Tested:

• Latitude D620/D820/D420 with GMA950 Graphics and Broadcom Wifi
  • Latitude D620/D630 with NVIDIA Graphics and Broadcom Wifi

Will probably work on ANY D series Latitude with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia graphics and Intel dual core processor

Working Hardware Accelerated Vid (32-bit only for Intel Graphics)

Working Ethernet (32-bit only)

Working Wifi

Working Sound

Working Shutdown/Restart (D620 Only)

Working Dual Core Support (All) without patched kernels

rebuild_mkext - Easy to customize - add/remove kexts to /Extra/Extensions and then double click rebuild_mkext.command in /Extra to rebuild custom boot cache without impact to /s/l/e. (Do this carefully at your own risk!)

Allows rebuilding of /Extra/Extensions.mkext in 64 bit mode. (Experimental - Nvidia ONLY)

10.6.1 Update works with no issues

Table of Contents:

1. Requirements

2. Installation of OS X 10.6.1 Retail DVD

3. Notes

4. Bugs/Issues

5. Change log

6. Grandiose Plans

7. Begging for feedback (not money)

Requirements

Hardware:

* Dell D420/D620/D820 with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia Graphics with DVD read capability.

* Dell D630 (Nvidia Graphics ONLY) with DVD read capability.

* Similar hardware configurations may work, but are untested.

Software:

* OS X 10.6.0 Snow Leopard RETAIL install DVD. (Buy one - don't steal it)

* CD made from D620SLV1.iso

Installation of OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from D620SLV1.iso cd image. No flags required.

- When Chameleon boot menu appears, eject the boot CD

- Insert OS X 10.6.0 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit F5. You may have to retry F5 a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

- Select OSX Install from the Chameleon menu once it appears.

2. Follow installation prompt:.

- Before installing, make sure to start the DISK UTILITY (from go>utilities) to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. IMPORTANT: In order for the automated Chameleon install to work during the post install, you must install on the FIRST partition of the FIRST drive. If you have a bunch of drives installed and don't know how to get this done, then I suggest you remove other drives during the installation and post install procedure.

- Suggestion: After partitioning, and at customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default). This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster.

Note: At installation completion, OS X may say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert D620SLV1 boot CD and Reboot. Select your new installation partition from the Chameleon menu and boot.

10.6.0 Post Installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after your first boot up, do the following:

1. Open the boot CD.

2. Double click on post_install.cmd.

3. Follow the simple prompts.

4. When the job completes, reboot.

If desired, download and install the 10.6.1 updates from software updates in OS X.

Notes

1. Dell D620 with GMA950 and Broadcom wireless should have hardware accelerated video, wifi, ethernet, sound, shutdown and reboot, and dual core support working after post install without modification to retail installation. However, the drivers used are only 32 bit compatible. Intel

2. 10.6.1 update presented no issues that needed to be address in my experience.

3. I haven't addressed the PCI card slot. I have it disabled (I never use it). I can add it if there's a demand and a fix I can implement in Chameleon.

4. Intel wifi cards are not supported by OS X. It's all dandy & stuff if you've got yours working, but it's still not supported and I'm not smarter than the guys trying to fix that issue. In fact, I'm barely smart enough to keep myself from drooling on my foot.

Bugs/Issues

1. If you set a system password in BIOS, your sleep may or may not work correctly. It is inconsistent at best here. There are various fixes available with all kinds of varying degrees of reported success, but I have opted not to apply any patches to the 'vanilla' installation itself for this project.

2. The kexts used for this installation are the same ones that resulted in minor video artifacts on my GMA950 machine on 10.5.x. However, I haven't seen any artifacts yet with Snow Leopard.

4. The display is never properly detected and reported, but it works @ 1440 x 900 with full hardware acceleration on my 1440x900 machines Please don't ask why you aren't getting resolutions your particular machine does not support.

5. If I plug the machine into a d/port with two monitors connected, it posts on one monitor and the OS X desktop loads on the other. Now that's almost as messed up as Barack Obama winning a Nobel Peace Prize.

Change log

Initial Snow Leopard Release

Plans

- Scripted builds for a wider selection of hardware supporting both Nvidia and Intel graphics versions of D series Latitudes. (And possibly other compatible hardware)

- Better video solutions for this craptastic GMA950 video chip.

- Scripted EFI partition support.

Feedback, please and Thanks

Thanks to the people at Voodoo Labs. Love your work, you are making things easier.

Voodoo Labs provides kexts that load without modification of the /s/l/e path, including kexts for running the vanilla SL kernel un-patched without skipping or jumping, sound, ps2 device and trackpad support and even a kext to get the battery meter working. They provide Chameleon, the boot loader, which not only allows us to boot Snow Leopard, but also auto-detects and sets up Nvidia graphics well enough to support hardware accelerated video with no additional kexts. I don't want to think of how difficult a project like this would be without their talented hard work.

And AlexD, thanks for the direction to the ethernet kext I was looking so hard for.

And thanks to everyone who has posted any attempt to provide useful information at www.insanelymac.com or even farted in my direction. You've all contributed to the chaos which is part of the cosmic soup that nurtures and feeds inspiration. And if that's not a sign that I have rambled on too long now, nothing ever will be.

- leppy

10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

EXPERIMENTAL: I am still working on these - no guarantee.

Here are my latest /Extra folders for my D620 NVidia, D620 with GMA 950 and D630 Intel.

DSDTs are working as follows:

D620 NV - full sleep, display sleep not working (corrupt video). Shutdown/restart working.

D620 Intel - Full sleep NOT working, display sleep works. Shutdown/restart working. Native kexts work for the first time - no artifacts.

D630 Nvidia - Full Sleep working with pointer/focus problems on resume. Restart works, shutdown does not.

Before replacing your extra folder, make sure you know the name of your Snow Leopard volume. You'll need it for backout if things go badly.

1. Backup your old extra folder if you have modified it.

2. Replace your /Extra folder with the contents of this zip file.

3. Move boot from the new /Extra folder to /

4. Run rebuild_mkext

5. Stick with 32 bit for now - 64 bit plists are not set up.

Warning: Running a DSDT intended for another machine will most certainly cause a kernel panic.

1. If this causes a panic, back out by booting the cd then the SL install DVD. Run terminal from the instalation utilities menu.

2. From the command line, enter this:

rm -R "/Volumes/whatever your Snow Leopard volume name is/Extra"

3. Reboot to your SL partition using the boot CD and either re-run post install or restore your /extra backup.

d620in_03022010_e.zipD620 GMA950

d620nv_03022010_e.zipD620 Nvidia

d630nv_03022010.zipD630 Nvidia

Page 1 updated - new image link. Many fixes. Read change log.

Sounds really sweet, I have also tried a long time with Dell 620. I do have a retail version but not 10.5.6 i believe (need to check). Is it a must that it is that specific version? If not, is there a work around?

Sounds really sweet, I have also tried a long time with Dell 620. I do have a retail version but not 10.5.6 i believe (need to check). Is it a must that it is that specific version? If not, is there a work around?

It think the install should work on earlier versions, but I don't have anything earlier to test with. If not, unless I figure out the magic video pill that works across versions, I think I am stuck at starting with 10.5.6 for initial iinstallation.

Stay tuned - or pick up a copy of 10.5.6 Retail. It's pretty cheap right now.

READ THIS IF YOU USE THE BOOT-132-D620v2 CD IMAGE TO INSTALL ANYTHING EARLIER THAN 10.5.6 RETAIL:

Kernels are version specific. Not caring for this properly is how I broke so much stuff in the v1 cd. The post install uses patched kernels that allow dual core operation specific to each version. If you use the post install routine on the CD it should work with earlier version EXCEPT FOR THE KERNEL. I *think* graphics up to 10.5.6 are compatible, 10.5.7 post install must also update graphics.

If you install from Retail of anything earlier than 10.5.6 you can do one of three things:

1. Do first post install and then edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and change the kernel from /Extra/mach_kernel to just mach kernel, and -tscsync to cpus=1. Boot from CD until this is done right.

- or -

2. Use the boot CD to boot and run updates from apple to get to a version supported by this CD distro, then run the post install procedures as in the document.

- or -

3. Do first post install and then install the appropriate kernel in /Extra for your install, repair permissions. Boot from CD until this is done right.

To repair permissions, open terminal and run: sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra

This following is from the thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117558 and it where the dual core patched but otherwise vanilla kernels come from.

Thanks to cosmot1 for supplying patched dual core kernels for every version of leopard to date.

I don't understand... With one kernel my keyboard and touchpad doesn't work, so I have to use bluetooth key&mouse, with another kernel keyboard and touchpad is working and even this blue thing (forget how to call it) in middle of keyboard is working... but nvidia graphics cards isn'n recognized then. I removed all injectors with osx86tools, also gfx video strings. Then I put GraphicsEnabler=Yes inside of com.apple.boot.plist.. and nothing happens, osx don't recognize my nvidia card, resolution is 1024x768 instead of 1440x900.. :) (Laptop Dell D620). Ah so, one more thing - I installed my osx from 10.5.4 retail disk not 10.5.6. Maybe I have to download 10.5.6 version and then follow your guide.

I don't understand... With one kernel my keyboard and touchpad doesn't work, so I have to use bluetooth key&mouse, with another kernel keyboard and touchpad is working and even this blue thing (forget how to call it) in middle of keyboard is working... but nvidia graphics cards isn'n recognized then. I removed all injectors with osx86tools, also gfx video strings. Then I put GraphicsEnabler=Yes inside of com.apple.boot.plist.. and nothing happens, osx don't recognize my nvidia card, resolution is 1024x768 instead of 1440x900.. :) (Laptop Dell D620). Ah so, one more thing - I installed my osx from 10.5.4 retail disk not 10.5.6. Maybe I have to download 10.5.6 version and then follow your guide.

Ah, well, you have Nvidia video, which my CD doesn't address yet. Actually, I did a successfull vanilla OSX install on my D630 with my CD, but graphics were not working because I wasn't set up for them. Everything worked BUT correct video. But that's a very easy fix - If you'd like I can take a stab a nvidia version of the /Extra/Extensions.mkext that should work for you. That with the GraphicsEnabler in the plist should have you pretty well sorted out. Just make sure you use the correct kernel in /Extra for the version level you are at.

If you have a USB keyboard and mouse, then they will not work with the wrong kernel version. Also, if you have not applied a patch for ibmps2 keyboard and mouse, then the onboard laptop keyboard will not work. My CD takes care of those things if the directions are followed, but NVIDIA graphics will be broken. Install from 10.5.4 OS X should be okay, just boot from CD until you can install a correct Extensions.mkext for NVIDIA (GMA & framebuffer stuff removed) and apply the correct kernel before you try to enable dual core.

Now I'm using Darwin 9.8 tcs patched kernel, size 5076772 bytes. It is the same you have in "58" folder. And both of my cores working ok.

"If you'd like I can take a stab a nvidia version of the /Extra/Extensions.mkext that should work for you. " - that would be great! :rolleyes:

Now I'm using Darwin 9.8 tcs patched kernel, size 5076772 bytes. It is the same you have in "58" folder. And both of my cores working ok.

"If you'd like I can take a stab a nvidia version of the /Extra/Extensions.mkext that should work for you. " - that would be great! ^_^

Same place, same kernel. If you are running the 10.5.8 update, then that's the right kernel for you.

I'll work on something for you - it will have to wait until next week though. Because I was working on this stuff, I've put off some things I have to get to. Basically, the mkext should be the same minus the video kexts. Those will mess you up and You shouldn't need them if you have the right key in the Boot.plist.

hey, just a quick question.. i also have a Dell Latitude D620.. but my graphics is Intel 945GM.. and my wireless is an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.. If i follow ur instructions will it work?... i got myself a retail version of OSX already..

Thanks

hey, just a quick question.. i also have a Dell Latitude D620.. but my graphics is Intel 945GM.. and my wireless is an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.. If i follow ur instructions will it work?... i got myself a retail version of OSX already..

Thanks

Intel wireless is not supported by OS X. If your retail version is 10.5.6, then everything else (including wired ethernet) should work just fine, but other retail versions are untested.

Supported Broadcom wifi cards can be found on Ebay for under $20.00 USD, and they'll replace your Intel card easily.

Thanks - I downloaded and burned the boot CD and got OS X installer up and running but got an error message saying that this OS can't be installed on this computer. I'm using the install DVD I got with my 17" Macbook Pro (it's the 10.5.6 media). Will that DVD not work?

Thanks - I downloaded and burned the boot CD and got OS X installer up and running but got an error message saying that this OS can't be installed on this computer. I'm using the install DVD I got with my 17" Macbook Pro (it's the 10.5.6 media). Will that DVD not work?

No, it's not the retail version. BOOT-132 requires a RETAIL DVD, not a reinstallation DVD. They are different.

Leppy - I used your disk and now have 10.5.6 running on my D620 just fine! Woot. I have an Intel 3945ABG card and read I need to replace that with a supported Broadcom wifi card. Would either of these work in a D620?

I haven't hard wired to the Internet yet, but will do so today! Thanks for the instructions! So far, so good!

Also, will this disk work with a D600? I have one of those too!

A Dell 1390 wireless card should work fine. here's a link to an Ebay source that has a number of them: Dell 1390 - it's $14.95 with free shipping. There might be better deals - I have a Broadcom 1500 (wireless N) in my D630, that works fine too.

Dell 1390 Dell 1390 Dell 1390 Dell 1390

I've read that some people have managed to get the Intel card working to some degree (with some bugs), but I don't think it's a very good solution for OS X given the number of cheap, compatible cards there are out there. Plug in a Dell/Broadcom, and you've got an Airport.

Your D620 with Nvidia graphics needs different video drivers to get high res, hardware accelerated video. I'll post an alternate Extensions.mkext and com.apple.Boot.plist a little later tonight. The Extensions.mkext will be minus the intel Video drivers and the Boot.plist will have the argument that is supposed to work for NVIDIA graphics cards.

The good news for you is that the Nvidia graphics have better perfomance and are less problematic than the Intel on this machine. Once you have it sorted out, it should be a winner.

I have no idea how OS X would work on a D600, but I don't think I'd expect the same result with that boot CD. Very specific drivers are loaded for the D620.

Leppy - I used your disk and now have 10.5.6 running on my D620 just fine! Woot. I have an Intel 3945ABG card and read I need to replace that with a supported Broadcom wifi card. Would either of these work in a D620?

I haven't hard wired to the Internet yet, but will do so today! Thanks for the instructions! So far, so good!

Also, will this disk work with a D600? I have one of those too!

Another question - my D620 doesn't display in 1440x900 mode. It's the nVidia display card. How do I get that working?

Hi Leppy,

First off, I wanna say thanks for all your work on getting a good BOOT123 disk working for the D620 - so that we can install from legit OS X DVD's - I'm sure there are lots of people out there (myself included) that really appreciate what you've done thus far. :-D

I would like to throw my hat into the ring on this and offer to help you get this running with the D8x0 series of machines, in addition to the D6x0 series that you're working on now. So....

I have a D820. I used the v2 .iso file to install 10.5.6, then updated to 10.5.7, and then to 10.5.8. The install went smoothly, but some things don't work on the D820 I have. Here are the specs on my machine:

1.6Ghz Core Duo (32-bit)

2GB RAM

120GB HDD

Nvidia NVS 110m Video

WSXGA+ Screen (1680x1050)

Sigmatel Audio

Bluetooth

Boradcom Wireless

Broadcom Ethernet

Firewire

USB x4

Modem

PCMCIA Slot

Express Card Slot

And here is what's working and what's not:

Both Cores of the processor work

Video acceleration does not work - Only get 1024x768 graphics, with no acceleration

Audio Works

Wireless Works

Ethernet is detected, but I have not tested it yet (will test later tonight)

Firewire is detected, but I have not tested it yet (will test later tonight)

USB works

Modem is detected but I have not tested it yet (will test later tonight)

PCMCIA Slot - cannot test yet - will get a PCMCIA card and try it out

Express Card - cannot test yet - will get an Express card and try it out

I subsequently tried the 620 Nvidia patch you posted - no dice on that - still no video acceleration.

I have gotten video acceleration to work in the past with other distributions, but I would really rather run from an install via a legit DVD (I did buy it afterall, so I wanna use it).

Ultimately, I'd like to help you create a D620 / D820 / D630 / D830 .iso that provides a seamless install that "just works", much like the Mini9 guys have. As such, I'll be glad to test out whatever you want me to, and report results.

What do you think? Can I help out? If so, I'd like to start with the video. Any ideas there?

Thanks for your time, and thanks again for all your good work on this!

Awesome! It's working well on my d620 with 945GM now. I must have spent the better part of the past 2 days trying to get this to work with other installs. Thank you!!!!!!

I have a couple questions though: does your wake from sleep work? Mine does not want to work. I'm just getting a black screen. And I'm not getting 1440 x 900, I seem to max out at 1280 x 800.

Again, thanks. I should've tried this first!

Hi Leppy,

First off, I wanna say thanks for all your work on getting a good BOOT123 disk working for the D620 - so that we can install from legit OS X DVD's - I'm sure there are lots of people out there (myself included) that really appreciate what you've done thus far. :-D

I would like to throw my hat into the ring on this and offer to help you get this running with the D8x0 series of machines, in addition to the D6x0 series that you're working on now. So....

I have a D820. I used the v2 .iso file to install 10.5.6, then updated to 10.5.7, and then to 10.5.8. The install went smoothly, but some things don't work on the D820 I have. Here are the specs on my machine:

1.6Ghz Core Duo (32-bit)

2GB RAM

120GB HDD

Nvidia NVS 110m Video

WSXGA+ Screen (1680x1050)

Sigmatel Audio

Bluetooth

Boradcom Wireless

Broadcom Ethernet

Firewire

USB x4

Modem

PCMCIA Slot

Express Card Slot

And here is what's working and what's not:

Both Cores of the processor work

Video acceleration does not work - Only get 1024x768 graphics, with no acceleration

Audio Works

Wireless Works

Ethernet is detected, but I have not tested it yet (will test later tonight)

Firewire is detected, but I have not tested it yet (will test later tonight)

USB works

Modem is detected but I have not tested it yet (will test later tonight)

PCMCIA Slot - cannot test yet - will get a PCMCIA card and try it out

Express Card - cannot test yet - will get an Express card and try it out

I subsequently tried the 620 Nvidia patch you posted - no dice on that - still no video acceleration.

I have gotten video acceleration to work in the past with other distributions, but I would really rather run from an install via a legit DVD (I did buy it afterall, so I wanna use it).

Ultimately, I'd like to help you create a D620 / D820 / D630 / D830 .iso that provides a seamless install that "just works", much like the Mini9 guys have. As such, I'll be glad to test out whatever you want me to, and report results.

What do you think? Can I help out? If so, I'd like to start with the video. Any ideas there?

Thanks for your time, and thanks again for all your good work on this!

Hey Fox, I appreciate the feedback. Of course you can help. That's exactly what your feedback is doing.

I'm not sure why the Nvidia solution isn't working for you - it really should. I got the idea to use the GraphicsEnabler string in the Boot.plist from AlexD, who used that approach on his D620 with Nvidia, and it works for him. The same thing is working on my Nvidia D630.

The beauty of using Chameleon and leaving the core of your installation alone is that you can try different things and back out pretty easily.

Let's retrace - you've installed Chameleon, and updated to the version specific Kernel, and you can boot without the CD, right? AFTER that, you used the Nvidia patch, replacing the extensions.mkext and com.apple.boot.plist in your /Extra folder? That should remove the Intel Video kexts required for the Intel version D620 to function and allowing for the Boot.plist to set up Nvidia video detection properly. You remembered to run the sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra from terminal?

If that's all been verified, then try this: back up your extra folder, then delete it, then reinstall Chameleon. This time instead of going with all the defaults, try selecting GraphicEnabler and then install. Then go back and look at the com.apple.Boot.plist file Chameleon puts in your /Extra folder and post it here. It may add another string that would enable the graphics on your 820. When all that's done, delete the new /Extra folder and restore the one you had originally from your backup. I have another idea if this doesn't work.

Awesome! It's working well on my d620 with 945GM now. I must have spent the better part of the past 2 days trying to get this to work with other installs. Thank you!!!!!!

I have a couple questions though: does your wake from sleep work? Mine does not want to work. I'm just getting a black screen. And I'm not getting 1440 x 900, I seem to max out at 1280 x 800.

Again, thanks. I should've tried this first!

Nope, sleep does not work here - it's a listed bug in the docs.

If you have a D620 with Intel graphics, your graphics should be working fine if you followed the post install instructions exactly - hardware accelerated with 1440 x 900 support if that's where your display runs under Windows. Not all D620s have 1440x900 displays - many have 1280 x 800's.

Make sure you aren't running the nvidia patch - that'll screw up your Intel graphics.

Hey Leppy,

I installed the D620 nVidia drivers you posted and now my system crashes at boot with the big 'you gotta reboot your computer' error. How do I go about replacing those 2 files with the ones I backed up? Is there a way to book into OSX without loading those drivers?

Thanks

Steve

Yeah, you can boot into OS X with the CD. Boot from the CD and then pick 80 (or your HD number) at the prompt. That's a reliable way to get in. You could try booting in using safe mode without the cd. Boot parm -x at the Chameleon boot menu.

That Entensions.mkext should not have pooched your install if you moved the files into the /Extra folder and changed ownership properly.

Hi Leppy! :-)

Let's retrace - you've installed Chameleon, and updated to the version specific Kernel, and you can boot without the CD, right? AFTER that, you used the Nvidia patch, replacing the extensions.mkext and com.apple.boot.plist in your /Extra folder? That should remove the Intel Video kexts required for the Intel version D620 to function and allowing for the Boot.plist to set up Nvidia video detection properly. You remembered to run the sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra from terminal?

That's correct - I followed that procedure to the letter, and can boot without the CD, no problem. I also verified the ownership permission bits were set properly for the /Extra folder - Everything was set to root:wheel. Still no dice after the install - no accelerated video at all.

If that's all been verified, then try this: back up your extra folder, then delete it, then reinstall Chameleon. This time instead of going with all the defaults, try selecting GraphicEnabler and then install. Then go back and look at the com.apple.Boot.plist file Chameleon puts in your /Extra folder and post it here. It may add another string that would enable the graphics on your 820. When all that's done, delete the new /Extra folder and restore the one you had originally from your backup. I have another idea if this doesn't work.

Ok - did that. After deleting /Extra and running Chameleon, there was no mach_kernel file, so I copied the one from my backup of the original /Extra (I called it /ExtraOriginal) and put that into my shiny new /Extra directory that Chameleon created. I did make sure to select GraphicsEnabler in the Chameleon installer.

Rebooted, and still no dice - graphics are still non-accelerated, and I can't change resolutions. :-(

I then did an ls -l in the /Extra directory, and was surprised to see that the ownership was not quite right - the comm.apple.Boot.plist file had my local user owner and group, and the Extensions.mkext file and Themes directory belonged to the admin group. I did a chown -R root:wheel to /Extra, then verified the permissions were correct this time, crossed my fingers, rebooted, and....

Still no dice. Graphics are still non-accelerated. T_T;;

I have created a tarball of the /Extra directory that Chameleon created with the GraphicsEnabler option turned on (I called it Extra-GraphicsEnabler.tgz). I will attach the file here. The mach_kernel file is not included, as it is was not created by Chameleon.

You mentioned you have other ideas on how to make it go? I'm all ears! :-D

Nope, sleep does not work here - it's a listed bug in the docs.

If you have a D620 with Intel graphics, your graphics should be working fine if you followed the post install instructions exactly - hardware accelerated with 1440 x 900 support if that's where your display runs under Windows. Not all D620s have 1440x900 displays - many have 1280 x 800's.

Make sure you aren't running the nvidia patch - that'll screw up your Intel graphics.

My two yen on this. I have gotten sleep to work on my D820 before, but it was on one of the "other" disributions under 10.5.6. I have two hard drives in my D820 - I think what I'm going to do is install that distribution on my other hard drive and get it working with accelerated graphics and sleep, sound, ethernet, and (hopefully) PCMCIA & ExpressCard slots. Then maybe we can compare the two installs (vanilla -vs- non-vanilla) and see if we can isolate the differences that will help us.

Your thoughts on this?

-FoxND001

ATTACHMENT: /Extra from Chameleon install with GraphicsEnabler selected

Extra_GraphicsEnabler.tar.gz