[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 Chameleon in EFI & Dual Boot Win7 on Same HDD for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

124 posts in this topic

Vanilla retail 10.5.7 install with Chameleon on EFI partition & dual boot Windows 7 on same HDD for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

I have also produced three other guides for the GA-EP45-DS3L

Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 install guide with Chameleon on a separate partition

Using DSDT on the GA-EP45-DS3L where a better audio solution is available.

Vanilla Retail 10.6.1 install with Chameleon on a separate partition

16th February 2010 - 09:24

Thread Status

This thread has been redundant now since the release of Snow Leopard and I consider this thread out of date. Dual booting OS X and Windows 7 on the same HDD is now easy. For more info see this post in my 10.6 thread.

News

2nd October 2009 - 20:43

Gigabyte have released GA-EP45-DS3L BIOS F11b

At last, the beta bios for this mobo is out and includes ACHI v1.20E to bring us up to the same level as most of the other Gigabyte boards. The main benefit is a faster boot time. I have posted (in my 10.6 thread) how to go about the update here. Or as Z4g0r has mentioned you can use the @BIOS utility if you have Windows installed.

12th September 2009 - 04:45

This Dual Boot method has been confirmed as working with Snow Leopard too

Undo_Undo has confirmed it working - see his post here.

Important: The instructions in this guide are for installing 10.5.7. If you want to try it with 10.6 then you are going to have to have an understanding of what pieces of the process to change for Snow Leopard. Follow the instructions here for the dual boot and partition as this guide but use the 10.6 guide for installing Snow Leopard. (Note: Suzuka followed this guide and reported installing Chameleon on to the System partition for it to work for him). The BootCD here won't work for 10.6 so you'll have to use one from the 10.6 guide or build your own USB boot drive. And you are also going to have to use Chameleon v2 RC3 boot file.

Re: 10.5.8 Update. Please see the bottom of this post for instructions for updating.

Introduction

This will take you through installing Mac OS X 10.5 from retail DVD, upgrading to 10.5.7, installing the Chameleon bootloader to the EFI partition and setting it up with all the kexts etc. needed for the GA-EP45-DS3L. You then have the option of installing Windows 7 on to the same hard drive to give you a dual boot system using Chameleon as the bootloader. As we are not installing Windows 7 to the first partition it won't create the System Reserved partition.

Note: This should also work for Windows Vista but I have only tested with Windows 7.

Installing Chameleon to the EFI partition requires using the Terminal to manage the partition. So if you want to change a theme, add/remove kexts, edit the com.apple.Boot.plist etc, you will need to use and have at least a basic understanding of using the Terminal.

There are various guides here on Insanely showing how to install retail Leopard using EFI bootloading. All I have done is put to use the good work of others and pieced together a fresh vanilla installation of retail 10.5.7 for the GA-EP45-DS3L and created an illustrated step by step PDF guide which you can download and follow. So thanks to everyone on this forum and in the OSX86 scene for creating the tools and evolving the installation process so it is now this easy to have a Macintosh on your PC. And I must also thank Arial for showing how to dual boot Windows 7 on the same hard drive in the voodooprojects forum. So all credit to him. :)

This install leaves the system installed from the retail DVD remains untouched and any extensions/drivers required for this motherboard are added to the Chameleon's /Extra folder. If you want to add drivers etc. directly to the retail install then feel free but don't ask for support here.

Most of the work in this guide involves setting up Chameleon and if you haven't used it before then it might take a little understanding to get your head around it, but once you have, it's easy. And to see the benefits of this install, once completed, I recommend installing the Mac OS X 10.5 Retail DVD on to the backup partition to use for testing future updates etc.. All you need to do is install it, update to 10.5.7 and reboot, selecting it in Chameleon at boot. It just works!.

This guide was made for my system using the following hardware. GA-EP45-DS3L Rev 1 BIOS F10. Intel Core2Duo 7300 2.66Ghz, 4GB DDR 800Mhz, nVidia 8800GT 512MB, 2 x 500GB SATA II Hard Drive, SATA II DVD-RW, USB Keyboard & Mouse. If you have any additional hardware it might be worth unplugging it for now until the system is installed.

Although I have tried to make this guide as simple as possible, it still requires some knowledge of OSX86 and the willingness to research, read and learn. Before posting problems on this thread, please ensure you have read through this thread and completed the install guide PDF.

Requirements

• Your HD's and optical drive must use the SATA interface and make sure BIOS SATA AHCI mode is set to AHCI.

• A purchased retail Mac OS X install DVD (not the restore DVD you get with Apple hardware).

• Windows 7 RC1 for now, or a purchased Windows 7 DVD when available.

• A USB keyboard & Mouse

• Internet connection

• A little patience

Known issues with this install The Mac issues have been carried over from my other install.

• The 3.5mm jack mic input not being recognised.

• Distorted audio when waking from sleep. (This can be rectified after waking from sleep, see here, or by using DSDT).

• A rare occasion of a USB device failing to be recognised. Uplugging & re-plugging the device can fix this.

• Windows 7 will NOT enter sleep when booting from Chameleon v2.

Complimentary thread for building a DSDT option for this install

After completing this guide and you have a fully working system, you can progress to using a DSDT.aml. The benefits of this is better audio without the need for VoodooHDA and it's dependencies, to give one option to enable sleep in 10.5.8 (see bottom of this guide for details), and to fix the CMOS reset bug which will rear it's head in 10.6. I have put together a guide for building a patched DSDT.aml for this mobo. So to keep this thread clean you will find the new thread here.

There are three install methods

1 - If you already have a system up and running and a spare HD

Download the Install Guide PDF and the support files and they will take you through all the steps you need to get installed. Once you have the Mac installation complete, you can then start with the Windows 7 install.

2 - If you are starting from scratch - Boot CD

Download my Chameleon Boot CD iso (the guide PDF is in the disc image). Burn the image to a CD and follow the instructions below. Once you have the Mac installation complete, you can then start with the Windows 7 install.

3 - If you are starting from scratch - Modified OS X disc

If for some reason the Boot CD and any workarounds don't work for you then you can always seek out a modified OS X disc for example, iDeneb or iAtkos. You only need a basic install from these, don't worry about audio, perfect video drivers etc.

Download the Install Guide PDF and the support files from here and use the modified OS X disc to get to disk utility to allow you to partition your hard drive as per the PDF guide then install on the backup partition. When you have a system running, you can then follow the install guide PDF from here to install from the retail OS X DVD on the Macintosh partition with the view to eventually deleting the modified OS X install. Don't ask here where to get a modified OS X disc from, and don't ask here for any support for the modified OS X install.

Boot CD Instructions

Boot from GA-EP45-DS3L CD

1 - Press Enter.

2 - Press F8 to go to boot options.

3 - Eject Boot CD and insert Mac OS X Install DVD.

4 - Press ESC to force Chameleon to rescan drives. (You will see 8 or so EBIOS read errors, that's normal).

5 - When you see 'Mac OS X Install DVD' then press Enter.

Boot from the Mac OS X Install DVD and go to Disk Utility, then follow Step 1 in my install guide PDF to format/partition the hard drive.

6 - Install retail Leopard 10.5 to the Macintosh partition.

(At the end it will say it's failed because we don't have a bootloader yet but we can ignore this and restart).

7 - Once installed, reboot.

8 - Boot from the GA-EP45-DS3L CD again.

9 - Press F8 to go to Chameleon's boot options.

10 - Select the partition you installed retail Leopard 10.5 on to.

(Some people have had a problem here, where my boot CD fails to pick up the newly installed OS X to the Macintosh partition. If this happens you can use the generic boot132 to complete this step. What you need to do is boot from it and when presented with a boot prompt, press ESCAPE, then type 80 for your 1st hard disk. You'll then be presented with a list of partitions. See if your Macintosh partition is in the list, if so, you should be able to boot it from there (So select it now and boot it). When successfully booted in to the retail install (from the Generic Boot132 CD) you'll see the intro video (but you won't have sound). Go to Step 12 follow the instructions to update the system, reboot then try loading again from my Boot CD at step 14. If this doesn't work then use the generic boot132 CD again.

11 - OS X will boot with the intro video (and with sound).

12 - Download & update to 10.5.7 with software update (If you're new to this, I recommend you stick with this for now).

(You can choose 10.5.8 but if you do, be prepared to learn about building a DSDT.aml file for you system to enable sleep).

13 - Reboot for it to install.

14 - Boot from the GA-EP45-DS3L CD again.

15 - Press F8 to go to Chameleon's boot options.

16 - Select partition you installed retail Leopard 10.5 on to.

Note: for me, first time it booted the new 10.5.7 install it failed, but I rebooted the new 10.5.7 by choosing verbose mode from Chameleon's boot menu (after pressing F8 in Chameleon, select the partition you have installed on to, press down arrow, then select Boot Verbose).

17 - Once loaded, open Boot CD from the finder and work through my install guide PDF from step 4 by using everything in 'Steps to follow after OS X is installed' folder.

Files - due to problems with the original files on MediaFire vanishing? I have re-loaded all the files

GA-EP45-DS3L Vanilla EFI Dual Boot Guide PDF v1.0 (4.98MB) Last updated 5th August 2009 - 14:51

Alternate Download Link FileFactory

GA-EP45-DS3L _Vanilla_EFI Dual Boot_Support_Files v1.0 (5.41MB) Last updated 5th August 2009 - 15:11

GA-EP45-DS3L EFI Dual Boot CD v1.0 (12MB) Last updated 5th August 2009 - 15:15

As this is version 1 of this guide then please, if anybody follows it, report your successes, failures etc. And finally, I only know what I have learnt so far, and if you have any tips, suggestions, better ways of doing things then please share it.

10.5.8 Update.

Go ahead and use Software Update but before you do....

remove IOPCIFamily.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions and rebuild Extensions.mkext first.

This is because Apple has updated IOPCIFamily.kext which we used to get Psystar's RealtekR1000.kext working from E/E. When the update is complete and you have rebooted (it will reboot twice), you can add the new IOPCIFamily.kext along with IONetworkingFamily.kext from /SL/E back in to /E/E and then rebuild your Extensions.mkext. This was always going to be an issue where dependencies are added to /E/E.

Note regarding Sleep when using 10.5.8

Apple changed the way the kernel interacts with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with 10.5.8 and the kernel now waits for a response from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement before it puts the system to sleep.

So you have two options.

1 - use a DSDT file and remove the block from Disabler.kext for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so it runs freely.

2 - Add SleepEnabler.kext (by pista7) along side Disabler.kext in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions. SleepEnabler sends the kernel the correct message to allow it to sleep even though AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is disabled.

Tips

EnzoFX has posted in my 10.6 thread regarding Win7 hanging at shutdown due to an issue with it's system time synchronization being incorrect.

It might come in useful for anyone experiencing a hang at shutdown with Win7.

Many Thanks

:)

EDIT: I have forgotten to mention about rebuilding permissions anywhere. So should you need to rebuild permissions use the following Terminal commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel nnnn (where nnnn is the directory you want changing)

sudo chmod -R 755 nnnn (where nnnn is the directory you want changing)

This post was last edited by blackosx on 14th October 2009 - 19:27

just skimmed through your duel boot pdf file, and looks very promising, will def give it a try later after work.

quick question, i have put all the chameleon files in the chameleon partition, as you instructed in your previous osx pdf, does that mean i can ignore most of the teminal command steps listed in your duel boot pdf?

thanks in advance.

quick question, i have put all the chameleon files in the chameleon partition, as you instructed in your previous osx pdf, does that mean i can ignore most of the teminal command steps listed in your duel boot pdf?

Hi Chynaman

To be honest I can't be 100% sure on this, that's why I have created this new thread. The install I did for this guide was using the EFI partition and then I installed Windows on top of that. So I only know for sure that this install works.

Though you should be able to install Windows 7 on the Windows partition of the other setup with Chameleon on it's own partition, but it will be at your own risk. I wanted to try it but the original system I had built I couldn't afford to lose at the time.

You will still need the terminal steps with regard to making the partitions active using fdisk.

Hope this helps

;)

I tried to install windows 7 (RTM version 7600), and stuck at selecting a partition to install windows on. keeps on getting the error msg saying "windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GTP partition style)

I have had 3 partitions made when i first setup my osx, (Chameleon, OSX, Windows), after i did some googleing, I read at some forum here on insanely that windows 7 must be installed on the one of the first 3 partitions of the HDD. and so i OSX. if the hidden EFI is the first, then my windows 7 drive is out of the boundary.

I guess this sort of answered my own question few post ago where i asked if i can forget about the efi and just use Chameleon drive for boot.

I have had 3 partitions made when i first setup my osx, (Chameleon, OSX, Windows), after i did some googleing, I read at some forum here on insanely that windows 7 must be installed on the one of the first 3 partitions of the HDD. and so i OSX. if the hidden EFI is the first, then my windows 7 drive is out of the boundary.

I didn't know that so thanks for sharing. :D

do you know how i can do this with p5q pro?

The principle should be the same for the install but as for the specific kexts etc for GA-EP45-DS3L, I don't know. But if you definitely know which kexts are needed for your mobo, just replace those instead of the ones I have used her. And there might be some specific settings in your BIOS which you need as well. If you want to give it a try then go ahead but remember that this guide was written for the GA-EP45-DS3L.

thanks very much for this excellent detailed guide. it was a useful read for me, who was previously a bit confused about efi stuff.

i do not fancy installing windows 7 yet (at least until early next year when bugs are ironed out), and would prefer xp. it seem from googling that chameleon rc2 does not like booting windows xp. can anyone recommend a bootloader which can, which would also be configurable in a way similar to this guide? (eg, adding appropriate efi strings to com.apple.Boot.plist, copying kexts to efi partition, etc). I would quite like to follow this well written guide, but using a different bootloader.

also, I am planning on purchasing a GA-EP45-DS4. it is pretty much the same, except has slightly different pcie slot configuration, and has firewire. i had a search for kexts relating to the firewire chipset, but could not find any info. is data concerning the firewire chipset (TSB43AB23 chip) contained in another kext? or is it already supported by osx?

sorry about the vague questions which dont quite relate to your guide.

...it seem from googling that chameleon rc2 does not like booting windows xp. can anyone recommend a bootloader which can

Chameleon can do it, I think you just need to add a small partition to the XP disk. Have a read on the voodooprojects forum and look for topic,64.0.html titled '[sOLVED] Windows XP MBR Boot Issues'. I just haven't used it so didn't include it in the guide. Also, there is a different bootloader called BootThink which makes it easier to load XP but I haven't used it and I read that 10.5.8 broke it somehow.

also, I am planning on purchasing a GA-EP45-DS4. it is pretty much the same, except has slightly different pcie slot configuration, and has firewire. i had a search for kexts relating to the firewire chipset, but could not find any info. is data concerning the firewire chipset (TSB43AB23 chip) contained in another kext? or is it already supported by osx?

You might be okay using that mobo, but I can only speak for the DS3L. Sorry.

And for firewire, I don't use it so again I can't help you here. But if anybody else can point simioliolio in the right direction then please do.

I tried to install windows 7 (RTM version 7600), and stuck at selecting a partition to install windows on. keeps on getting the error msg saying "windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GTP partition style)

I guess this sort of answered my own question few post ago where i asked if i can forget about the efi and just use Chameleon drive for boot.

Maybe you did not. Try to install Windows 7 with AHCI mode off. Windows 7 installer somehow sees all partitions but can not install on any of them while AHCI is on (bug possibly). The WinXP installer won't even boot if you use AHCI. After installing win7 you will be able to boot it using chameleon while having AHCI on. Personally suggest however to run windows in emulation in OSX unless you have some serious gamin planned on you rig.

My GA-EP45-DS3 (maybe DS3L) has one firewire port and it is working on Vanilla install (10.5.8).

Thanks for your help Devish.

Windows 7 installer somehow sees all partitions but can not install on any of them while AHCI is on (bug possibly).
However, this is incorrect as I installed my Windows 7 with AHCI turned on.

But, for anyone having troubles it might be worth considering Devish's suggestion.

Thanks for the guide. I finally got it working on my Acer Aspire 8930g. But, there is one bug, When I set the hidden EFI partition as active then reboot, it says "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM" just after POST. So, I can only boot off the boot CD or Windows 7, and even when I set the Mac OS X partition as active it still says "missing operating system". I've tried installing chameleon again, but it still says "missing operating system". It would be great if I could fix this with some help. Also, does anyone know how to enable Core Image and Quartz Extreme on a Retail OS X install with a Nvidia GeForce 9600m GT?

Well done. and you did it on an Acer Aspire 8930g as well.. :)

What do you think gives the "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM" error, the BIOS or Windows?

With regards to the 9600M video card you could try here.

But please note, I have built this around the GA-EP45-DS3L so any specific issues related to other mobo's I might not be able to help with. :(

I know you said you have re-installed Chameleon on the OS X partition but if the windows bootloader is giving the 'MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM' message that that's still the default bootloader and we want that set to Chameleon.

If possible, try this (we are going to write the stage 0 Chameleon bootloader back on to the HD, then the stage 1 Chameleon bootloader back on the EFI partition)

Boot in to OS X from the boot CD.

Download the Chameleon files, not the package installer, from chameleon.osx86.hu

It will be on the right of the page under New Releases, the top one named 'Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640-bin.tar.gz [724.97KB] '

Double-click to extract files.

Then open Terminal

cd (then a space) to the i386 folder in the newly downloaded folder. Drag it from the finder to after cd in Terminal.

and remembering to replace the numbers in red with what you need.

type

sudo -s

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s1

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

f 1

w

y

q

then reboot. This time hopefully, Chameleon will become the default bootloader again.

You might have to follow the remaining from step 17 in the guide again.

Well, I followed the guide and installed OS X first. Everything went great. I was able to update and got my sound with DSDT. It was the smoothest OS X installation I've had so far. Then I proceeded to install Vista on the WINDOWS partition and everything started going down hill from there. I went into the issue with Vista not recognizing the WINDOWS partition. So I formatted the WINDOWS partition to NTFS and turned off AHCI. Vista picked up the partition and it proceeded to install just fine. At the end of the installation, Vista required to reboot to complete the process. From there, my system went into reboot loop. It rebooted itself every time when that "Verifying DMI pool data" came up. I tried booting it with the boot132 CD, but that didn't help. I didn't know what else to do, so I wiped the whole drive with KillDisk and started up from scratch again. Anyway, I just wanted to get a clean install of OS X only this time. The process went great again, but there's something strange shows up this time that I didn't see in my first 2 installs. Somehow, all my HHD partitions show up as removable drives and not the usual metallic looking ones. Also, Restart doesn't work...it just hangs in a black screen. I haven't tried Shotdown, so I'm not sure if it works or not. Everything else works fine, though.

post-466591-1250410674_thumb.png

The orange icons are because you must be missing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from /Extra/Extensions.

Can you double check you have OpenHaltRestart in /Extra/Extensions too?

On the previous install, when the boot process stuck at 'Verifying DMI pool data', did you AHCI turned on?

The orange icons are because you must be missing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from /Extra/Extensions.

Can you double check you have OpenHaltRestart in /Extra/Extensions too?

On the previous install, when the boot process stuck at 'Verifying DMI pool data', did you AHCI turned on?

Whoa...I was looking into my hidden EFI partition right before you posted this. All the required kexts were in /Extra/Extensions, but I noticed that they weren't the same size as the ones in forEFI folder that I got from you. They must had gotten corrupted during the transfer with Terminal. I replaced all of them except UUID.kext and everything's back to normal.

As for my previous install, I believe AHCI was still off 'cause Vista was suppose to reboot to complete the process. I forgot to mention that I did turn it back on before I tried using the boot132 CD, but it just hung at "Verifying DMI pool data" instead of rebooting.

Anyway, I'm pretty content with what I have right now. I'm still dual booting with Vista on another HHD. I just thought maybe I could remove one of the drives from my case and turn it into an external drive to clear some of the clutter. No big deal...

Great, thanks for letting me know you tried this dual boot though. And if you try it again, or indeed, if I try it again I will double check the settings with regard to AHCI.

Well done for sorting your kexts in /Extra/Extensions. The EFI install does give a cleaner system making it more like a real mac ;)

Hi Blackosx,

Well i had done an install on my rig some time ago... all i did was boot from the "GA-EP45-DS3L v1.01.iso" cd then put Mac OSX Retail DVD booted from it created my partitions

/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*186.3 Gi   disk0
  1:						EFI						 200.0 Mi   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Chameleon			   896.0 Mi   disk0s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS MACOSX				  60.0 Gi	disk0s3
  4:	   Microsoft Basic Data Windows7				60.0 Gi	disk0s4
  5:				  Apple_HFS HACINTOSH			   16.0 Gi	disk0s5
  6:				  Apple_HFS DATA					48.9 Gi	disk0s6

then canceled installation put a windows 7 7100 64bit msdn edition dvd booted with it at that time " 4: Microsoft Basic Data Windows7 60.0 Gi disk0s4" was fat32 so all i did was select the fat32 partition and format it. Then continued installing windows 7 finished and then just used the rest of your guide "GA-EP45-DS3L_Vanilla_Install_Guide V2.1.pdf" for the rest of my setup. After all was over i booted into Windows 7 through Chameleon.

hope you or someone can try it like this and verify if it works.

Regards

iCEHACKER

Really? This in interesting.. I don't know what to say other than I will have to try it when I next go to put Win7 on. I have wiped that install for the time being as I am trialling Snow Leopard builds etc.

Thanks for the input iCEHACKER

:P

Really? This in interesting.. I don't know what to say other than I will have to try it when I next go to put Win7 on. I have wiped that install for the time being as I am trialling Snow Leopard builds etc.

Thanks for the input iCEHACKER

:(

cool man so r u gonna make tutorials for Snow Leopard too ... that would be really somthing