Asrock ION 330 for OSX: development thread

37 posts in this topic

I'll start off with a basic tool for what should be a fun project: attached please find an edited dsdt.aml which will give use of both of the Atom 330's physical cores running the vanilla kernel if launched by a suitable bootloader. Without this dsdt.aml you will have to boot with:

cpus=1

Tested using munky's loader v 6.1 & (recommended as of 05August09) Chameleon RC2 build640

If not already updated, you will need BIOS v 1.50 or later as recommended - this version has an AHCI setting for SATA, vital for OSX use.

NB: Download the 'DOS' version of any BIOS update, put it on a USB stick, & update from the 'Asrock Instant Flash' Tool integrated into the BIOS under 'Tools' - this is very much safer than flashing under Windows, & easier than true realmode flashing. Here are Asrock's instructions

You can enable all options in the BIOS except hyperthreading - disable this in the 'CPU' section under 'Advanced'.

Settings for sleep & so on need work - this Nettop has sophisticated sleep abilities which'll take some time to sort out.

I have been fiddling around using test installs of 10.5.7 from retail DVD:

SATA works vanilla.

ETHERNET works vanilla

VIDEO: CI & QE work vanilla with Chameleon RC2's option to enable onboard graphics though boot.plist - this works well - see images in next post below.

Alternatives: [prettier/mebbe faster] Dreamwatcher has a hacked nvDarwin solution; or nvenabler 0.1 works fine if you add: 0x087d10de to the plists of: NVDAResman.kext & NVDANV50Hal.kext

USB2 - issues: see bottom of this post.

USB - fine

AUDIO: issues with the VT1708 VIA 'Vinyl' Audio processor: Voodoohda functions [iMHO unacceptably badly; other ION 330 owners with firsthand experience disagree & have specific settings].

SHUTDOWN/RESTART: works fine with openhaltrestart v 1.03

PERFORMANCE

So far best performance seems to be with this tiny box overclocked to 2.0GHz: this runs the DDR2 at 667MHz & synchronous to the dual-core Atom.

My ION 330 is wholly stable at this speed longterm & under full load, with the fan set as quiet as possible.

It is a fair bit faster than a PPC Mac Mini & at 2GHz feels roughly as quick a !st Gen CoreDuo Intel Mac Mini

********************************************************************************

Please add your experiences, thoughts, & advice with getting this little box to work under OSX.

When basic function has been sorted, we'll see about an Installation Howto specific to this box . . . but this thread is not the right place for handholding novice users, lacking basic OSX skills.

********************************************************************************

Edit: 05 August 2009 - Please would anyone interested in getting their Asrock NetTop ION 330 working with OSX spare a couple of minutes of their time & contact Asrock support, requesting a new BIOS (or test BIOS - it is quite likely they have a suitable one tucked away) with these features in addition to those already in BIOS 1.50:

Enable/Disable options for "EHCI Handoff"

Enable/Disable options for "Legacy USB"

If enough folks ask for this they will do it - it doesn't have to be a large number - a dozen or so.

In the space to put your OS in the above form suggest you put: "Mach BSD" or "Darwin" :)

. . when sent a BIOS with this feature please share it pronto here - it may allow us all to have functioning USB2 in OSX.

New illustrated installation guide here - please use that thread for your installation experiences & issues

Asrock_ION_330_dsdt_2cores_01.zip

Hey Guys.........

Just got an ASROCK ION 330 as well (9400 based) and have started working to see what works best as well. Most recent install that went fairly easy was iDeneb 10.5.6, installed ok, but had to apply IOACPI patch before I could get past the mac framework issue, then all booted A-ok.

I agree the USB issue is rather strange. I have an apple keyboard w/hub and Logitech trackball running fine, does not show a high speed bus and does not see my 16gb thumb drive where the distro is, go figure that one out! wacko.gif

Will be working on this tonight and see what else I come up with to share. Going to be trying yoru new DSDT file as well, and see what we get!

FYI - There is an RC 3 of the Chameleon boot loader out now, supposedly can boot retail from a ram disk image (Still trying to figure out how to make one). Looks like some pretty good features from the RC2, 132-boot and Munky BL projects!

FYI - There is an RC 3 of the Chameleon boot loader out now, supposedly can boot retail from a ram disk image (Still trying to figure out how to make one). Looks like some pretty good features from the RC2, 132-boot and Munky BL projects!
. . . USB2 unreliably functions in an otherwise vanilla install when using the latest version of this orByte/Slice IOUSBFamily.kext

Suggest you try these options when installing Chameleon RC2 b640

AFAIK without my or a similarly edited dsdt you will not have 2x cores in OSX when using the vanilla kernel.

post-103618-1249364059_thumb.png

As a pointer; you shouldn't need more than these 4 kexts in your Extra/Extensions folder to be able run the ION 330 . . . image includes use of the useful Mkext Tool by 'pcwiz' - just in case this is being read by someone new to OSX86 who doesn't know you need to rebuild the *.kexts in your Extra/Extensions folder to a new Extensions.mkext in your Extra folder, every time you change them.

The UUID.kext is a reliable means to enable use of Time machine.

For anyone who hasn't used this hassle-free method, it has to be edited to show your machine's unique en0 MAC address

post-103618-1249372226_thumb.png

. . . USB2 unreliably functions in an otherwise vanilla install when using the latest version of this orByte/Slice IOUSBFamily.kext

Suggest you try these options when installing Chameleon RC2 b640

AFAIK without my or a similarly edited dsdt you will not have 2x cores in OSX when using the vanilla kernel.

Hey Shoarthing.........

I have REALLY got to stop doing these installs in the weeeee hours of the am wacko.gif cause I miss things like the CUSTOMIZE button! DOH!biggrin.gif Installed the new Chameleon B.L. RC2 and all seems to be working well with video now, thanks for sharing your screen of RC 2 config. Now I just cant seem to get it to see 2 cpus.

Questions I have for ya:

1.) Did you use a modified SMBIOS at all? I am still using the original Mach Kernal, so all should be ok there.

2.) How do ya get Chameleon to install in the EFI volume, and how do you get the DSDT file over there as well? I got errors when I selected the HFS install option. Going to be installing Snow Leo after this and want to just use one bootloader.

3.) Any luck getting audio working?

For me, video (9400m) is good and kicking out 1280x1080@75hz on my DLP projector, wired ethernet is good. Just starting over with a fresh retail base image restore as I have this much squared away, and want to get rid of the junk kexts.

THANKS a bunch for the help getting this one squared away! I just got done building up a 1000HE last week that I am using now, if you ever need a hand with one of these, just let me know. Not the fastest thing in the world with the Atom 280, but VERY portable and turns heads tongue.gif

Hey Shoarthing.........

I have REALLY got to stop doing these installs in the weeeee hours of the am wacko.gif cause I miss things like the CUSTOMIZE button! DOH!biggrin.gif Installed the new Chameleon B.L. RC2 and all seems to be working well with video now, thanks for sharing your screen of RC 2 config. Now I just cant seem to get it to see 2 cpus.

Questions I have for ya:

1.) Did you use a modified SMBIOS at all? I am still using the original Mach Kernal, so all should be ok there.

2.) How do ya get Chameleon to install in the EFI volume, and how do you get the DSDT file over there as well? I got errors when I selected the HFS install option. Going to be installing Snow Leo after this and want to just use one bootloader.

3.) Any luck getting audio working?

For me, video (9400m) is good and kicking out 1280x1080@75hz on my DLP projector, wired ethernet is good. Just starting over with a fresh retail base image restore as I have this much squared away, and want to get rid of the junk kexts.

THANKS a bunch for the help getting this one squared away! I just got done building up a 1000HE last week that I am using now, if you ever need a hand with one of these, just let me know. Not the fastest thing in the world with the Atom 280, but VERY portable and turns heads tongue.gif

. . use my patched dsdt.aml . . . place in /Extra (see image in post 7) . . . disable hyperthreading in the BIOS.

Do you have working USB2?

. . use my patched dsdt.aml . . . place in /Extra (see image in post 7) . . . disable hyperthreading in the BIOS.

Do you have working USB2?

Still having issues getting the 2 cpus to work, and still having to use the CPUS=1 flag. Just rebuilt drive from my image, and moved the dsdt and mkext files into place. Noticing that I had not done anything with the original applesmbios.kext as there was a rom# in my details, and did not see one in yours. Might be wrong, but I assume you apple the applesmbiosbefi patch so it uses uses the dsdt file instead of being hardcoded?

Still working on the USB2.0 solution you wrote about. Will be trying it this evening.

Man, was not this tough to get everything working on the 1000he, or maybe it was and just did not realize it!

Still having issues getting the 2 cpus to work, and still having to use the CPUS=1 flag. Just rebuilt drive from my image, and moved the dsdt and mkext files into place. Noticing that I had not done anything with the original applesmbios.kext as there was a rom# in my details, and did not see one in yours. Might be wrong, but I assume you apple the applesmbiosbefi patch so it uses uses the dsdt file instead of being hardcoded?

Still working on the USB2.0 solution you wrote about. Will be trying it this evening.

Man, was not this tough to get everything working on the 1000he, or maybe it was and just did not realize it!

. . if you put the files I linked to in your Extra/Extensions folder, with the linked dsdt.aml & Extensions.mkext in the Extra folder, & with hyperthreading disabled in BIOS v1.50, you should see 2 cores w/ 2x 512MB L2 cache.

. . seriously: this works . . . I have re-installed like this a half-dozen times.

You don't need any smbios injector, or a hacked smbios [for now]. Getting the thing up & running with full function is I would suggest the first goal . . . . :wacko:

. . if you put the files I linked to in your Extra/Extensions folder, with the linked dsdt.aml & Extensions.mkext in the Extra folder, & with hyperthreading disabled in BIOS v1.50, you should see 2 cores w/ 2x 512MB L2 cache.

. . seriously: this works . . . I have re-installed like this a half-dozen times.

You don't need any smbios injector, or a hacked smbios [for now]. Getting the thing up & running with full function is I would suggest the first goal . . . . :unsure:

So I have gone through and checked anything I can think of..... DSDT (Both .aml and.dsl files) are in the /Extra folder and the Extensions.mkext are in the /Extra/extensions folder and no go, still have to boot with cpus=1 flag.

Something that came to mind tonight. I HAVE installed the new RC2 boot loader in the EFI partition once trying to set it up for win 7 in the future........ I am using a GUID boot scheme as well (Same as my 1000he), is there any way to mount the EFS partition so I can see what is there? I also tried installing an older EFI V8 of Chameleon to the leo partition I am booting from (disk0s2) and it should

have loaded that version instead, but I still have the rc2 version loading. I am thinking something is messed up in my paritions and this is why I cannot load the dsdt file.

Sorry for any stupid questions, I am still fairly new to the hackintosh ways, installed 10.4 a long time back, but just recently started to mess with the new versions. Thanks for your patience!

PSS- Obviously it HAS to be loading the DSDT.aml file because my NV graphics, and lan are working 100% without pacthed kexts. Trying a repart and reload again from raw image.

So I have gone through and checked anything I can think of..... DSDT (Both .aml and.dsl files) are in the /Extra folder and the Extensions.mkext are in the /Extra/extensions folder and no go, still have to boot with cpus=1 flag.

Something that came to mind tonight. I HAVE installed the new RC2 boot loader in the EFI partition once trying to set it up for win 7 in the future........ I am using a GUID boot scheme as well (Same as my 1000he), is there any way to mount the EFS partition so I can see what is there? I also tried installing an older EFI V8 of Chameleon to the leo partition I am booting from (disk0s2) and it should

have loaded that version instead, but I still have the rc2 version loading. I am thinking something is messed up in my paritions and this is why I cannot load the dsdt file.

Sorry for any stupid questions, I am still fairly new to the hackintosh ways, installed 10.4 a long time back, but just recently started to mess with the new versions. Thanks for your patience!

PSS- Obviously it HAS to be loading the DSDT.aml file because my NV graphics, and lan are working 100% without pacthed kexts. Trying a repart and reload again from raw image.

. . . no: graphics will work [accelerated] if you have ticked the right box in Chameleon RC2 b640's options. NFORCE MCP79 Ethernet just works.

Check you are using the latest build of Chameleon & have ticked the right options.

If installing vanilla you will only have 2x cores & 2x 512KB L2 cache if you have the right setting in the BIOS [hyperthreading disabled] & if you have loaded the dsdt.aml - else you will have to use "cpus=1" or the thing will have KP'd

I have checked the dsdt.aml [& dsdt.dsl] I uploaded here - they are correct. The dsdt.dsl is just there for your interest &/or reference [it can be opened with an editor to see what I have changed, then compiled with IASL or the MS. equivalent].

. . . no: graphics will work [accelerated] if you have ticked the right box in Chameleon RC2 b640's options. NFORCE Ethernet just works.

Check you are using the latest build of Chameleon & have ticked the right options.

If installing vanilla you will only have 2x cores & 2x 512MB L2 cache if you have the right setting in the BIOS [hyperthreading disabled] & if you have loaded the dsdt.aml - else you will have to use "cpus=1" or the thing will have KP'd

I have checked the dsdt.aml [& dsdt.dsl] I uploaded here - they are correct. The dsdt.dsl is just there for your interest &/or reference [it can be opened with an editor to see what I have changed, then compiled with IASL or the MS. equivalent].

All very valid points and I am learning something with each reply! I am thinking that the fact I restored from an image is the problem? If I do a fresh virgin install from the DVD, it should setup the EFI partition again, right? Anyways, starting a new reload and will check on it tomorrow!

All very valid points and I am learning something with each reply! I am thinking that the fact I restored from an image is the problem? If I do a fresh virgin install from the DVD, it should setup the EFI partition again, right? Anyways, starting a new reload and will check on it tomorrow!
. . if your Extra folder-structure is the same as the one I illustrate, using the same files as linked to, you should be OK to go :)

Please spare the time to contact Asrock support & request a new BIOS or test-BIOS with the feature we need to have working USB2 - I have edited the first post in this thread to provide a link to Asrock support & to have details of the request.

Hi!

I searched around forum and I found the way to improve sound quality (VoodooHDA).

Go to Application --> Audio MIDI Setup --> Change Audio Output option

Format 44100 Hz 2ch - 16bit

Noise disappeared

GGdWknUeVy.png

About USB (sometimes it helps me)

Unplug all usb devices except mice and keyboard. Reboot and when MAc OS X boot up,

plug usb devices turn by turn. It works for me.

Hi!

I searched around forum and I found the way to improve sound quality (VoodooHDA).

Noise disappeared

GGdWknUeVy.png

Unplug all usb devices except mice and keyboard. Reboot and when MAc OS X boot up,

. . thanks for the helpful input. The USB2 workaround is new to me (& works mebbe 60% of the time) & interesting that you report usable 2ch sound via VoodooHDA . . .

. . . but v.0.2.2 gives unbearably crackly sound for me; using the same 44100/16-bit settings.

Please spare a minute or two to contact Asrock support & request a new BIOS or test-BIOS with the "EHCI Handoff" feature we need to have working USB2 - I have edited the first post in this thread to provide a link to Asrock support & to have details of the request.

. . if your Extra folder-structure is the same as the one I illustrate, using the same files as linked to, you should be OK to go :)

Please spare the time to contact Asrock support & request a new BIOS or test-BIOS with the feature we need to have working USB2 - I have edited the first post in this thread to provide a link to Asrock support & to have details of the request.

I think I figured out what I was doing wrong (For the most part anyway) I was using the boot-132 disk to start the retail disk, and loading it from the other running hackintosh. When IO try the 132 method on the ION machine, all I get is a hang at dmos starting and then nothing. The disk I have a a restored ISO I lost the very virgin original copy, so this is what I am using.

Also I think there was an issue with the boot loader, I THINK it was loading from the EFI partition AFTER I installed RC2 (EFI version) and there are not dsdt nor mkext file there. I also downloaded EFI boot loader 6.1 and working through that now.

Questions I have:

1.) Did you do the version 6.1 EFI boot setup first?

2.) did you use the boot 132 iso out there to load the retail disK? Dont knwo why mine stops first at applesmbios (Unless it is because I have an apple keyboard on it), then I press space bar and it does on to stop at dmos starting....... and nothing from there on out.

Do you have a multi boot system with Windows and OSX utilizing the EFI boot scheme?

Help, advice, all of the above are appreciated! Will be taking a fresh crack at this tonight!.

. . thanks for the helpful input. The USB2 workaround is new to me (& works mebbe 60% of the time) & interesting that you report usable 2ch sound via VoodooHDA . . .

. . . but v.0.2.2 gives unbearably crackly sound for me; using the same 44100/16-bit settings.

Please spare a minute or two to contact Asrock support & request a new BIOS or test-BIOS with the "EHCI Handoff" feature we need to have working USB2 - I have edited the first post in this thread to provide a link to Asrock support & to have details of the request.

Sorry for mistake,you are right,it doesn't help.I tried listen using good headphones,sound still has noise. ;)

ASRock got back to me with a new versiopn of the BIOS to try out (v 1.50c)

if anyone wants it PM me your address and I'll forward on their email

UPDATE - this version fixes this issue - but unfortunately casues a couple more as this BIOS version removes a couple of features. I've gone back to ASRock and will update this post when I have a response

ASRock got back to me with a new versiopn of the BIOS to try out (v 1.50c)

if anyone wants it PM me your address and I'll forward on their email

UPDATE - this version fixes this issue - but unfortunately casues a couple more as this BIOS version removes a couple of features. I've gone back to ASRock and will update this post when I have a response

. . . apologies for sending you an Email stuffed with misinformation, thus causing you to write the above.

The new BIOS you so kindly secured from Asrock is all that was asked: but . . . it doesn't work, despite my being certain it is a handoff issue.

All I can think of is to request another BIOS [including the fixes in 150c] with Enable/Disable for "Legacy USB" . this is the last tweak BIOS' offer to USB, so if that don't work we're stuffed . . . . ;)

Hi!

Noise disappeared

GGdWknUeVy.png

I agree with this USB consenus 100% Could not figure out why it would sometimes work and others not. The issue here is USB 1.1 work at boot up, and then USB 2.0 devices have to be plugged in after the OS is up an running....at least this is what I found to be true when I had an external drive plugged in.

I agree with this USB consenus 100% Could not figure out why it would sometimes work and others not. The issue here is USB 1.1 work at boot up, and then USB 2.0 devices have to be plugged in after the OS is up an running....at least this is what I found to be true when I had an external drive plugged in.
. . . ummmmm: not sure we're seeing the same issues.

Please would you & any other interested ION 330 users mind going here [Apple Developer Connection] & downloading/installing the debug/logging version of IOUSBFamily.kext - there's a version specific to 10.5.7, 10.5.8 & so on, & you obv need the right one for your installed OSX version.

. . you *should* end up with an application called "USB Prober" in /Developer/Applications/Utilities . . I have the full xcode tools installed; but I don't think this is necessary.

Fire this up, & it'll ask to install 'KProbe.kext' - say yes . . . I then set USBTools to stay in the dock & to open at login.

You can then see what's going on every time you plug in/remove a USB device.

What I have found to date is:

A: If OSX boots through to login with no USB devices of any kind plugged in both OHCI & EHCI controllers will initialize: when in OSX any device will then work at its rated speed

B: If you have any low-speed or full-speed [OHCI] devices plugged in at boot, the EHCI controller will not initialize & only OHCI devices will work in OSX for that session.

C: If you have no low-speed or full-speed [OHCI] devices plugged in, & any number of High-Speed [EHCI] devices plugged in at boot, both OHCI & EHCI controllers will initialize . . & you can then plug in any device & it'll work at its rated speed.

It would be most helpful if these findings could be confirmed or denied - as many reports as possible, please. Initialization of the EHCI controller is not 100% reliable - but once initialized it is solid.

My boot.plist configuration - to allow boot through to OSX - is here . . . . using BIOS 1.50c & matching dsdt.aml with 'EHCI Handoff' disabled.

[Edit] . . have made a new dsdt.aml to match BIOS 1.50c (with Enable/Disable for EHCI Handoff): attached to first post in ION 330/OSX86 Howto