ASUS G51VX- Anyone try this laptop yet?

arbee10

56 posts in this topic

Well, I think after a few weeks of deliberation on which laptop I wanted to drop $1k or so for that would fit my needs/desires for work and play I have come down to picking up the ASUS G51vx laptop which you can see at the link below:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218092150636

I could not find any information on this laptop or the gtx 260m chipset for that matter in the forums, so was just curious if anyone has tried any osx86 installations on this model yet. I found a thread for the G50vt, which I assume is probably similar enough to be helpful but would definitely love to see if anyone has had a successful installation on this laptop... or unsucessful for that matter.

I have done a lot of playing in different desktop configurations over the last couple years and currently running Kalyway 10.5.2 on my desktop. But I am really hoping to get a nice stable install on a laptop as well, especially considering 15% restocking fees if you want to return an open laptop.

Anyways, any help or suggestions would be appreciated thx.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this; I bought this laptop, and I'm wondering if anyone has had success getting osx86 working on it.

It's got an Intel C2D T9800 (2.8ghz), nvidia gtx 260m, 4gb memory, 320gb 7200 rpm hdd.

Are there any drivers that work with this gpu?

I hope someone responds this time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got OSX 105.5 installed again. Talked with a friend that also runs a hackintosh. At least with the iDeneb 1.3 for sure just select AHCI fix, CPUS=1 fix, and the Intel ICHx driver. Typing on it right now. In the process of downloading the iDeneb 10.5.7 combo update and other drivers.

Managed to get vanilla 10.6 installed to laptop. Used a working install of iAtkos 7i to restore the 10.6 dvd installer to an 8GB usb flash drive. Then used this pre-install automator for 10.6 found here to add a bootloader and extra kexts to the install. Worked like a charm. Still no wifi but everything else works great. Even managed to install it to an i7 920 PC as well.

I looked around for ya mate but no 5100 kext yet. I wonder though if its possible for a virtual machine running tinyxp or something could access the hardware and bridge the net connection back. Maybe thats just crazy talk. I dunno.

Edit: 10 Points to the person that finds something smaller than this one:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/bd55/

• 1 month later...

any update on this G51VX running snow leopard?

i have the G51vx from newegg and managed to run retail 10.6 vanilla, but with many problems.

using EFI 10.5, DSDT compile thru Ubuntu LiveCD, Extra Kexts

What doesn't Work:

Keyboard and Touchpad!!! using USB Mouse/KB

GTX 260m graphics

ALC663 Sound

Works out of the box:

Realtek Ethernet

Bluetooth

Screen Resolution @1280x800 (monitor native 1920x1080)

I also tried iATKOS v7, but getting Kernel Panic.

anyone here care to elaborate what options they use to get the system running with Keyboard, Touchpad, graphics, sound, etc???

Nevermind...I got it all worked out.

got everything working except for built-in WLAN.

How?!? I always get kernel panics when trying Snow Leopard. Which patches/kexts/kernels did you use? I know how to get keyboard/trackpad support, and i can handle the nVidia card, but something always causes a kernel panic before I hit graphical boot. I know the Snow Leopard disk/image/USB Key is good, because I can install it to normal Macs, and it worked on a different Hackintosh as well.

How?!? I always get kernel panics when trying Snow Leopard. Which patches/kexts/kernels did you use? I know how to get keyboard/trackpad support, and i can handle the nVidia card, but something always causes a kernel panic before I hit graphical boot. I know the Snow Leopard disk/image/USB Key is good, because I can install it to normal Macs, and it worked on a different Hackintosh as well.

the best way to avoid any Kernel Panics is to used DSDT.aml compile from your own system.

use Ubuntu LiveCD to get a dump of your dsdt.dsl and compile into DSDT.aml.

then install using any method you wish...i prefer installing thru another OSX using OSInstall.mpkg.

then install Chameleon bootloader and latest EFI 10.1-10.5

I use the basic Kexts in the folder /Extra/Extensions/ such as FakeSMC, NullCPU~, IOAHCI~, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, and SleepEnabler.

keyboard, trackpad, nvidia gtx 260m, and alc663 sound is not easy or straight forward for this particular notebook running Snow Leopard.

KB/TP was done by using voodoops2controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2NUB.kext compiled for snow leopard.

installing in /Extra cause problem...best to install into S/L/Extensions and be sure to remove Mouse.kext from plugins folder inside voodoops2

never had any luck with gtx 260m using efi string, nvenabler, or graphicsenabler.

i had to customize NVinject by adding the Device ID 061810de using correct VRAM.

also using VoodooHDA compiled for Snow Leopard and deleting AppleHDA.kext.

after many nights of headache, here's all files that I used to get things working:

g51vx_working.zip

Everything works, EXCEPT:

Wireless LAN

Keyboard Volume Control

Thanks for the info. ...turned out the 10.5 EFI boot file was what I needed, as the other ones all gave me kernel panics. ...now to just get the 260M working right as my resolution isn't properly set up. ...Did you get it working at 1920x1080?

I got it fully working with iATkos v.7. 10.5.7 darwin kernel 9.7 (original one) and upgrade to 10.5.8 Kernel 9.8 Most of my devices work out of the box (I changed wireless from Intel 5100 to Broadcom 4311 works good). My graphics card I use NVEnabler.kext v.01 I got QE/CI working full resolution with VGA and HDMI mirror etc..

Only 2 things didn't work just now was wake up from sleep and SDHC Reader not recognized. That's all problem I faced.

Anyone got solution for those problems. Thanks

ps. sry for my english

the best way to avoid any Kernel Panics is to used DSDT.aml compile from your own system.

then install using any method you wish...i prefer installing thru another OSX using OSInstall.mpkg.

I use the basic Kexts in the folder /Extra/Extensions/ such as FakeSMC, NullCPU~, IOAHCI~, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, and SleepEnabler.

keyboard, trackpad, nvidia gtx 260m, and alc663 sound is not easy or straight forward for this particular notebook running Snow Leopard.

KB/TP was done by using voodoops2controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2NUB.kext compiled for snow leopard.

installing in /Extra cause problem...best to install into S/L/Extensions and be sure to remove Mouse.kext from plugins folder inside voodoops2

never had any luck with gtx 260m using efi string, nvenabler, or graphicsenabler.

i had to customize NVinject by adding the Device ID 061810de using correct VRAM.

after many nights of headache, here's all files that I used to get things working:

g51vx_working.zip

Wireless LAN

Keyboard Volume Control

I'm totally newbie here, can you give step by step instruction? i'm desperate install SL on my G51vx, please help.

Hey thats great that Mnemonicman,pomalink,tumman007 got it working on g51vx. but can any of u pls post a guide of what stuffs are needed and how to burn and install them pls. m trying on g51vx-rxo5 (2.0 ghz processor) but not able to pass the apple loader screen. and i'm also not so experienced with ktexts and efi and stuffs.

also it would be very great if any one of u can give a guide to install the retail leopard dvd as i may have to update mac in future.

thanks.

P.S. - i have the retail leopard 10.5.6/7 as well as the drivers dvd with me. (if these can help).

Hey thats great that Mnemonicman,pomalink,tumman007 got it working on g51vx. but can any of u pls post a guide of what stuffs are needed and how to burn and install them pls. m trying on g51vx-rxo5 (2.0 ghz processor) but not able to pass the apple loader screen. and i'm also not so experienced with ktexts and efi and stuffs.

also it would be very great if any one of u can give a guide to install the retail leopard dvd as i may have to update mac in future.

thanks.

P.S. - i have the retail leopard 10.5.6/7 as well as the drivers dvd with me. (if these can help).

I'm afraid I can't recall exactly what was done to get iAtkos v7 installed. Had a friend of mine install it. I'm pretty sure he just chose the kext for the chipset, networking, and probably AHCI as well. As far as the bios the only thing that was changed was setting the sata drives to AHCI. After that I just followed the guide for setting up retail snow leo on a usb drive and that was it. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823

ok so how did u install it? via cd or usb (as mentioned in that snow leo thread). And also did u have a fresh install or did u install iatkos 7 on an already installed older version mac os (retail or hacked)?

i used to use the cd (along with the bios settings) and the installation hangs at the apple screen and reboots (as mentioned in the wiki - http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...#Asus_G51vx-A1). choosing ktext is far away from this step.

and also tried the method given here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288

(using retail dvd) but same problem. i burned the cds/dvds at 4x in windows xp using nero. does these factors affect the data?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody. I have iatkos v7 and i installed it. When it starts, mac os ask me to reboot. It cant load... I would like to know how to use the

g51vx_working.zip
from our friend Pomalink.

Thanks you

Edit 1 : I am also interrested by what do you chose to customise (or -ize) your install. What did you check/uncheck for driver, x86 patch...

+1

thanks.

+10000 (at least) ;-)

edit 2 : up

hey guys i just installed iatkos v7 on my laptop working fine and m now trying to upgrade it to snow leo by the method mentioned here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823 .

the problem here is that i have a single hdd with 4 paritions on it

1st one is hidden partition done by asus.

2nd is where i have my windows vista

3rd is for random data.

4th is where i have my iatkos v7 installed.

now the problem is that i think snow leo needs an hdd with guid partition and my hdd is of mbr partition. and as i have data as well as the windows vista's setup ( the 1st hidden partition) on it i can't format it. i want to install the snow leo on the 4th partition (where i have atk now). so is there any other way rather than formatting the entire hdd?

hey one more question

can i update the installed iatkos v7 through internet as we do for original oses on macs?

Nevermind...I got it all worked out.

got everything working except for built-in WLAN.

g51vx_working.zip

Wireless LAN

Keyboard Volume Control

I got it fully working with iATkos v.7. 10.5.7 darwin kernel 9.7 (original one) and upgrade to 10.5.8 Kernel 9.8 Most of my devices work out of the box (I changed wireless from Intel 5100 to Broadcom 4311 works good). My graphics card I use NVEnabler.kext v.01 I got QE/CI working full resolution with VGA and HDMI mirror etc..

Only 2 things didn't work just now was wake up from sleep and SDHC Reader not recognized. That's all problem I faced.

Anyone got solution for those problems. Thanks

ps. sry for my english

I'm totally newbie here, can you give step by step instruction? i'm desperate install SL on my G51vx, please help.

thanks.

ok so how did u install it? via cd or usb (as mentioned in that snow leo thread). And also did u have a fresh install or did u install iatkos 7 on an already installed older version mac os (retail or hacked)?

i used to use the cd (along with the bios settings) and the installation hangs at the apple screen and reboots (as mentioned in the wiki - http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...#Asus_G51vx-A1). choosing ktext is far away from this step.

and also tried the method given here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288

(using retail dvd) but same problem. i burned the cds/dvds at 4x in windows xp using nero. does these factors affect the data?

Yes Mnemonicman,pomalink,tumman007, i'm newbie to hackintosh too and my notebook also G51 VX - R X 05, please post step by step instruction.. with pictures would be great..... :rolleyes:

ty

Yes Mnemonicman,pomalink,tumman007, i'm newbie to hackintosh too and my notebook also G51 VX - R X 05, please post step by step instruction.. with pictures would be great..... ;)

ty

if u want to install iatkos v7 than u need to do nothing.

1. just keep the sata bios setting to enchanced or compatible and in device boot priority, cd/dvd sud be first

2. make a hfs+ compatible partition ( u can use diskpart of windows vista for it, as i presume that vista is what have got with ur laptop). you can find tutorials for it online.

3. insert the iatkos v7 and keep pressing F8 till u get a screen with iatkOS 7 written (along with other text) (sorry can't post the screenshots).

4. than when the apple logo appears select disk utility from the apple toolbar and select the HFS+ partition u made before.

5. than on one screen u will find a customize button ( the screen when u are asked where to install). go inside it and select the ktexts (as mentioned in this thread, read all the posts of this thread in which u can find the ktexts) (again m sorry as i dont have the information rite now, can give it to u after few days as m out and i dont have my laptop with me).

i think by now u sud have iatkos v7 installed properly. ur wifi and card reader might not work though.

if u want to install iatkos v7 than u need to do nothing.

1. just keep the sata bios setting to enchanced or compatible and in device boot priority, cd/dvd sud be first

2. make a hfs+ compatible partition ( u can use diskpart of windows vista for it, as i presume that vista is what have got with ur laptop). you can find tutorials for it online.

3. insert the iatkos v7 and keep pressing F8 till u get a screen with iatkOS 7 written (along with other text) (sorry can't post the screenshots).

4. than when the apple logo appears select disk utility from the apple toolbar and select the HFS+ partition u made before.

5. than on one screen u will find a customize button ( the screen when u are asked where to install). go inside it and select the ktexts (as mentioned in this thread, read all the posts of this thread in which u can find the ktexts) (again m sorry as i dont have the information rite now, can give it to u after few days as m out and i dont have my laptop with me).

i think by now u sud have iatkos v7 installed properly. ur wifi and card reader might not work though.

I will make a tuto with pictures for you, everything work except wifi, card reader.

HEY GUYS, made inside iatkosv7, but my vga un recognize

i think i need your information for the step 5.customize option before the installation begin:

this is what i choose:

iatkos main

chamelon v2

extra directory

dsdt

apple decrypt

disabler

under vga/old enablers: nvinject

nvidia gt200 evga

removed NVDAresman.

system: ahci, intel sata/ide

intel speedstep

sound: voodoo HDA

vooodoo ps2 driver

laptop battery

network: r1000 under wired section

correct me whats is wrong and please inform me the right one.

thank you

How to?

iatkos works, sound, keyboard... But i want the Wifi...

So please hox do you change the driver? The most important is where did you download it? Thanks you

i guess he changed the hardware, i'm planning to do that also if my installation works like yours. :D