NEW Intel P55 Mobos & Core i7 860 / i5 750 CPU LGA1156

1,554 posts in this topic

///Update: Nov 17, 2009. OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard retail install guide! The posting is here, by tonymacx86 .

///Update: Nov 12, 2009. OS X 10.6.2 vanilla works perfectly with i7 860 (p55, 1156). The posting is here by theothrone .

///News: Oct 22, 2009. Apple launched new iMac 27" models. It uses Lynnfield Core i7 / i5 CPU.

///News: Oct 23, 2009. A pioneer user is trying to make a compatible parts list. The posting is here, by VGM10000 .

///Update: Oct 15, 2009. Snow Leopard retail install worked! The posting is here, by tonymacx86 .

///Update: Oct 15, 2009. Solved the problem with syncing iPhone or iPod touch. The posting is here, by tonymacx86 .

///Update: Oct 13, 2009. Install the retail version of Mac OS X 10.5.6 , The posting is here, by melchus .

///Update: Oct 13, 2009. iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite install was painless. The posting is here, by cornbread .

///Update: Aug 29, 2009. CPUs & Motherboards are now on sale in the world! You can see how cheap the price!///

///Gigabyte Motherboard GA-P55M-UD2 is now only $98 in the States. Read the review by Anandtech.com here///

I know it's too early to tell, but what are peoples guesses as fast, cheap, cool as these mobos/CPUs working with OSX86?

Lynnfield is a codename for the new CPUs based on the Nehalem architecture by Intel.

Core i7 860 is 2.80GHz 4 cores 8 threads. USD $284 MSRP. Official lunch date is Sep 6th, 2009. (Ship date: late Aug!)

Core i5 750 is 2.66GHz 4 cores 4 threads. USD $196 MSRP. Official lunch date is Sep 6th, 2009. (Ship date: late Aug!)

Better than i7 920: 95W=Low power consumption+heat+noise!, LGA1156=long lasting, No northbridge=cheap!

P55 is a new chip-set name for the motherboards. (cheaper than the X58 motherboards)

Almost every motherboards companies now are pretty ready to ship at the middle of August 2009. (Also, m-ATX size!)

You can even find the specific model number & pictures of the motherboards (Gigabyte: GA-P55M-UD4, Asus: P7P55 , DFI, MSI, Foxconn and etc.) Many of them just use ICH10R? PCH? for southbridge, ALC88X for sound, and RTL811XX for LAN.

How do you guys think? Please reply your opinion. Do you think it is possible to install OS X? (both retail or another)

post-458500-1249424439_thumb.jpg

As my knowledge of hardware ans Osx86 is very limited, keep in mind that everything below is merely a speculation

From what I understand the northbridge is a concept completely transparent to the OS. That is, northbridge controls how the CPU communicates with the bus and the memory. But the OS does not need any "special" driver or support to work with a northbridge, as the interface is completely hidden within the CPU and the northbridge themselves (that is, no software uses that interface, only hardware!). Now, the southbridge is a different issue, as it defines a set of interfaces which software must use (SATA, USB etc.).

If new i5,i7 Lynnfields are "same" Nehalems from the software point of view, I guess that osx86 will work on new P55 mobos out of box — as the support for ICH10R is already there. Hovewer, the new revision of the CPU may be a problem and can require a new/hacked kernel (similaras it was with i7 and 10.5.6). However, it also may be that Lynnfield will be detected by 10.5.7 as well...

Well, I guess one will need to try :) I am planning to buy a Lynnfield rig in oktober, would be nice if there were some success reports till then ;)

As my knowledge of hardware ans Osx86 is very limited, keep in mind that everything below is merely a speculation

From what I understand the northbridge is a concept completely transparent to the OS. That is, northbridge controls how the CPU communicates with the bus and the memory. But the OS does not need any "special" driver or support to work with a northbridge, as the interface is completely hidden within the CPU and the northbridge themselves (that is, no software uses that interface, only hardware!). Now, the southbridge is a different issue, as it defines a set of interfaces which software must use (SATA, USB etc.).

If new i5,i7 Lynnfields are "same" Nehalems from the software point of view, I guess that osx86 will work on new P55 mobos out of box — as the support for ICH10R is already there. Hovewer, the new revision of the CPU may be a problem and can require a new/hacked kernel (similaras it was with i7 and 10.5.6). However, it also may be that Lynnfield will be detected by 10.5.7 as well...

Well, I guess one will need to try :D I am planning to buy a Lynnfield rig in oktober, would be nice if there were some success reports till then :)

Thanks for reply! "the OS does not need any "special" driver or support to work with a northbridge, as the interface is completely hidden within the CPU and the northbridge themselves" wow! I can hope it will work!

However, I realized New i7 860 and i5 750' use the PCH which is renamed of the ICH10R for the P55 chipset motherboards

• 2 weeks later...

Update: August 4th, 2009.

Now, it is in embargo policy every official news sites, so you cannot confirm the news, but I just individually say that some stores already start to sale the New Nehalem based Lynfield P55 Motherboards!

Someone reported that it can run up to 4GHz on regular fan cooling when overclocked (no need a hardcore setup).

I will buy Core i7 860 and GA-P55M-UD4 in August. It looks good.

Oh, very good news, many P55 mobos are only $100 price range!

Please check the following updates here soon.

post-458500-1249422842_thumb.jpg

post-458500-1249422881_thumb.jpg

post-458500-1249422896_thumb.jpg

I don't see why not, the current mac pro is already based on Nahalem Xeon... and running osx from i7 is already possible... if you are patience enough... you could always wait for apple upgrading their cpus to i7 i5 series... its just a matter of time dude... its more like a sooner or later thing than a will be or not question.

cheers

i wouldnt say its a totally upgrade (from i7 > i5) you lose tri channel.

And why would you want tri channel so badly? You are still limited by the CPU in most tasks. In most applications, you won't see any difference...

i wouldnt say its a totally upgrade (from i7 > i5) you lose tri channel.

It is an upgrade! why?

New i7 860 is also i7, and it has more higher turbo clock 3.4GHz than the old i7 920 2.93GHz.

Get cheaper price, low heat=easy over clock, low power consumption, low noise, 1333MHz clock, and "integrated North Bridge! with PCI-E control."

Old i7 920 has TDP 130W = Hot enough to cook, expensive mobo, 1066MHz clock, separated North Bridge and PCI-E control (which is make another hot significantly and bottleneck).

New i7 860 uses the socket 1156. Socket 1156 is Intel's new main socket instead of the super famous socket 775.

Old i7 920 uses the socket 1366. Socket 1366 is available for Gulftown which is only EE version $999 in the future.

090810170607_002.jpg

090810170607_001.jpg

090810170608_007.jpg

090812004347_001.jpg

0908_001004_VEHAW72SVR_1.jpg

Now on SALE, in stock, same day shipping in USA.

http://www.frys.com/product/5981624?site=s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Hi Guys...

I will be shortly handed how to install OSX on P55 MOBO with Core i5.

Somehow guys in S. Korea just informed me that they are successful with the new system, and will post the guide on the site called, www.x86osx.com, another well known hackintosh site in Korean.

I will be happily translating the guide in here.

Thanks and I will keep you guys update soon!

JP

Hi Guys...

Somehow guys in S. Korea just informed me that they are successful with the new system, and will post the guide on the site called, www.x86osx.com, another well known hackintosh site in Korean.

JP

I'm really really expecting that!

- Terminal from www.x86osx.com

Hi Guys...

JP

Hi Guys

This is just an update. Please, enjoy the pix first.

As informed, a system of Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R with i5 750 was successfully installed a Retail OSX. The guide will be posted later.

But heads up, guys! The system is beautifully running OSX 10.5.8 with voodoo kernel 9.8.0(by Qoops).

Somine & Atasa, two hackintosh project leaders of x86osx.com installed the system.

They are saying the system is not perfectly stable yet but with Boot 132 and Retail, it is installable.

Actually, they installed with retail 10.5.6 and software updated to 10.5.8. The voodoo kernel used also supports 32/64 bit at the same time, which apparently shows a good result of the geekbench.

Processor information is not correct yet but all cores are working.

I'm a messenger and will post more detailed installation guide later.

Thanks

post-201780-1250214808_thumb.png

Hi Guys

As informed before, here's a brief guide to install Retail OSX for Gigabyte P55 UD3R + i5 750.

Yes, it was done for Gigabye P55 UD3R!

Gigabyte becomes Hancintosh heaven for choosing MOBO, again.

This is information as a basic guideline rather than a precise guide because the method for installation was already introduced from insanelymac.com before by such as DFE, Munkies, Digital Dream, other so many contributors etc. Without these guys, I know it can't happen.

I'm here for just as a messenger and an extreme noobie!

This information was suggested by "Somine" and "atasa' form www.x86osx.com in S. Korea who were experimenting i5 750 with Gigabyte P55 UD3R and Asus P7P55D.

Just following some tips, you guys can also install successfully.

1. First, Asus P7 P55D wasn't friendly with OSX. Booting was OK, but you will need to set CPU=1 option and requires too much works. So, until some genius finds way to install rather easily, we do not recommend to use Asus P7 P55D MOBO for hackintosh!!

2. For Gigabyte P55 UD3R, it was very similar to OSX installation of EX58. Using standard Boot 132 with the minimum kext combination, it just installed everything including Retail. But it requires "Voodoo Based kernel" and boot flag "busratio=20" like EX58 in the beginning.

3. Oh, I forgot t mention one thing. It's strongly recommended to buy a retail OSX 10.5.6.

4. All you need to prepare for GA P55 UD3R are Boot 132 image (as described in other insanelymac thread) with "dsmos.kext" and "IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext," and "Chameleon 2.0 RC 640." And, you will need to replace vanilla "mach_kernel" to Voodoo based 9.8.0 kernel (Qoopz). This can be done later stage too!

Somine indicated that he tried various distros to install but i5 Lynfield was only working with Qoopz's 9.8.0 kernel!!

Follow exactly the same procedure of boot 132 installation guide, but in the image it only requires to have two kexts above metioned with the Chamelon boot loader.

boot 132 installation guides are here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160234

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114834

5. Boot with the image, and you can start installing the retail OSX. You wouldn't have a problem installing it.

6. After installing the retail, you can reboot with boot image and go thru the retail installation process agian. But at the screen of the initial customizaion go to Terminal directly, and replace the vanilla kernel in the hdd with already installed the retail to Voodoo Based 9.8.0 by Qoopz.

cd /Volumes/Hdd of retail Leopard

cp /Voodoo kernel /mach_kernel

7. Now you can reboot again!

8. But Hit F8, at the prompt, don't forget "busratio=20"

9. Once you booted into Leopard, you can edit "com.apple.boot.plist" of s/l/e with "busratio=20"

10. Below description is from ihaveredcouch's EVGA X58 installation guide on editing "com.apple.boot.plist"

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32@60</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>busratio=20 -v macmodel=MacPro2,1</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

11. Now, you can do software update to 10.5.8

12. For the network, you can install Psystar's Realtek1000R.kext, you can download from

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...8-UD5_Kexts.zip

Once you unzip it, you can single out Realtek1000R.kext

13. For graphic card, you need to find the proper kexts for your card.

14. For ALC888 sound, you need install AppleHDApatch + ALC888.txt

15. for reboot problelm, use OpenHaltRestart.kext

16. There was a problem found in Sleep. This looks like related issue of voodoo kernel for now. If further information found, here we will post.

Good luck!

by Somine and atasa from www.x86osx.com

• 2 weeks later...
///Update: Aug 29, 2009. CPUs & Motherboards are now on sale in the world! You can see how cheap the price!///

///Gigabyte Motherboard GA-P55M-UD2 is now only $98 in the States. Read the review by Anandtech.com here///

Any updates on this?

It's very interesting... I'm planning on doing an mATX hackintosh with a Core i7-860 CPU :(

Hi all, this is my first post in the forum.

I've just received all the hardware for my first hackintosh. But now I need time (which I don't really have... :) ) to put all the stuff together and install Snow Leopard. I will first install iPc Leopard 10.5.6 final version to have a ground from whrere I'll try to install a retail Snow Leopad I just bought. I have been reading a lot of tutorials and I should be "theorically" ready to face the unknown... :|

I'll probably make the first installations attempt on friday 11th or on saturday 12th and as soon as I have some results I'll post them in this topic.

Hi all, this is my first post in the forum.

I've just received all the hardware for my first hackintosh. But now I need time (which I don't really have... :) ) to put all the stuff together and install Snow Leopard. I will first install iPc Leopard 10.5.6 final version to have a ground from whrere I'll try to install a retail Snow Leopad I just bought. I have been reading a lot of tutorials and I should be "theorically" ready to face the unknown... :|

I'll probably make the first installations attempt on friday 11th or on saturday 12th and as soon as I have some results I'll post them in this topic.

Looking forward to this as I'm also planning to get a p55 board with an i5/i7.

Asrock P55M Pro is a board of like 90 bucks, and asrock has cheaper boards... msi also has a p55 board of like 100 bucks, its the msi p55-cd53. asus has a board of like 130 bucks the Asus P7P55D. All will run the new lynfield 860 cpu very nice so, hopefully someone here will buy a i7 860 together with one if these boards :)