iATKOS 10.5.7 Install on Asus P5Q-E

TylerPower

5 posts in this topic

If this has been posted before, please don't flame me, I've spent a good 10 hours trying to get 10.5.7 installed and have finally succeeded.

I found a guide that covered a 10.5.5 retail install, then upgrade to 10.5.7 - Many thanks to the person who wrote this, but it's now out of date as far as I'm aware.

I had already downloaded iAktos v7 10.5.7 before checking compatibility etc. so I was determined to use that.

After a lot of googling I realized I would have to flash my BIOS - I found Juzzi's page via google, but it looked a little sus, I didn't trust it (We are flashing the bios after all) - In the end the bios I chose was 803 modified by Kalyway.

After flashing this bios I was then able to at least boot the install DVD and run through the install process... But when trying to boot it would always hang after "Successfully loaded MAC framework - Using XXXXX IO buffers and XXXXX page buffers".

After mucking around with various install options and kernels I finally managed to get past this point but then got a kernel panic that complained about no HPETS being available and saying my CPU was configured incorrectly. - The specific kext that caused the panic was AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

After more Googling all I could find was that when updating from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 you were meant to interrupt the update process and remove this kext file (Among other things) - In the end after a combination of using Google and reading through my install log I narrowed it down to DSDT issues - The whole reason I had flashed my BIOS was to get around this though - After more mucking around I thought F**k it - I would try Juzzi's v2001 patched BIOS for the P5Q-E - This installed without a hitch and lo and behold - OS X booted in to the GUI and asked me to configure my keyboard :wacko:

I decided to go through the install process again and do a clean install with all the options I desired, here's how to do it:

This is assuming you have iAktos V7 10.5.7 burned to DVD - I'm sure it works with other teams releases but this is what I used and can verify works.

1. Download the latest BIOS from here - I used the 2001 version without the Vista SLIC (The SLIC version wouldn't get past the BIOS check before flashing).

2. Copy the downloaded BIOS to the root of a flash stick

3. Reboot your machine, push DEL to get in to your BIOS config, load up EZ-Flash (I forget which page it's on).

4. Select the flash stick, then the BIOS file, YES to install.

5. After automatic reboot, go back in to your BIOS settings and set Sata mode to AHCI - Leave everything else as default - I'll update this after I've played around with more BIOS settings (Like fan control etc.) EDIT: You can overclock, enable quiet fan controls, enable speedstep etc. and OS X works sweet - So go nuts, just make sure sata mode is set to AHCI.

6: Load up iAktos and use disk utility to partition your HDD - I used Mac OSX Extended Journal and GPID.

7. Run the installer and use the following options:

• iAktos Main System
  • Chameleon RC 2.0 boot loader
  • Default decryptor
  • Default DSDT patcher
  • Do not check a kernel, the vanilla one will install by default
  • No SATA/IDE drivers (Leave everything unchecked)
  • Marvell XXXXX506 Wired lan driver
  • Default HDA sound driver
  • Select your VGA driver - I used Nvidia EFI String DVI/DVI for my 8800GTS 320MB

8. The install will run and automatically reboot.

9. Run through the basic config stuff at start up and then you will be taken to your shiny new desktop - USB, LAN, Sound and SATA will all be working out of the box.

10. My GFX card wasn't working correctly though, to fix this I downloaded OSX86Tools from pcwhiz.com and used the GUI to add the EFI string for my 8800GTS 320mb - Rebooted and my card was now recognized, full hardware acceleration was enabled, both DVI ports and all resolutions work.

That's it. Use Automatic updates to get the latest iTunes, Quicktime, Java etc. and you're done. Enjoy - This should work on any Asus P5Q - XXX motherboard, as long as you choose the correct model and latest version Juzzi modded BIOS off the site above.

post-17923-1247641208_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
If this has been posted before, please don't flame me, I've spent a good 10 hours trying to get 10.5.7 installed and have finally succeeded.

I found a guide that covered a 10.5.5 retail install, then upgrade to 10.5.7 - Many thanks to the person who wrote this, but it's now out of date as far as I'm aware.

I had already downloaded iAktos v7 10.5.7 before checking compatibility etc. so I was determined to use that.

After a lot of googling I realized I would have to flash my BIOS - I found Juzzi's page via google, but it looked a little sus, I didn't trust it (We are flashing the bios after all) - In the end the bios I chose was 803 modified by Kalyway.

After flashing this bios I was then able to at least boot the install DVD and run through the install process... But when trying to boot it would always hang after "Successfully loaded MAC framework - Using XXXXX IO buffers and XXXXX page buffers".

After mucking around with various install options and kernels I finally managed to get past this point but then got a kernel panic that complained about no HPETS being available and saying my CPU was configured incorrectly. - The specific kext that caused the panic was AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

After more Googling all I could find was that when updating from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 you were meant to interrupt the update process and remove this kext file (Among other things) - In the end after a combination of using Google and reading through my install log I narrowed it down to DSDT issues - The whole reason I had flashed my BIOS was to get around this though - After more mucking around I thought F**k it - I would try Juzzi's v2001 patched BIOS for the P5Q-E - This installed without a hitch and lo and behold - OS X booted in to the GUI and asked me to configure my keyboard ;)

I decided to go through the install process again and do a clean install with all the options I desired, here's how to do it:

This is assuming you have iAktos V7 10.5.7 burned to DVD - I'm sure it works with other teams releases but this is what I used and can verify works.

1. Download the latest BIOS from here - I used the 2001 version without the Vista SLIC (The SLIC version wouldn't get past the BIOS check before flashing).

3. Reboot your machine, push DEL to get in to your BIOS config, load up EZ-Flash (I forget which page it's on).

5. After automatic reboot, go back in to your BIOS settings and set Sata mode to AHCI - Leave everything else as default - I'll update this after I've played around with more BIOS settings (Like fan control etc.) EDIT: You can overclock, enable quiet fan controls, enable speedstep etc. and OS X works sweet - So go nuts, just make sure sata mode is set to AHCI.

6: Load up iAktos and use disk utility to partition your HDD - I used Mac OSX Extended Journal and GPID.

• iAktos Main System
  • Default decryptor
  • Default DSDT patcher
  • Select your VGA driver - I used Nvidia EFI String DVI/DVI for my 8800GTS 320MB

9. Run through the basic config stuff at start up and then you will be taken to your shiny new desktop - USB, LAN, Sound and SATA will all be working out of the box.

10. My GFX card wasn't working correctly though, to fix this I downloaded OSX86Tools from pcwhiz.com and used the GUI to add the EFI string for my 8800GTS 320mb - Rebooted and my card was now recognized, full hardware acceleration was enabled, both DVI ports and all resolutions work.

That's it. Use Automatic updates to get the latest iTunes, Quicktime, Java etc. and you're done. Enjoy - This should work on any Asus P5Q - XXX motherboard, as long as you choose the correct model and latest version Juzzi modded BIOS off the site above.

Ooh, thanks for this! It looks like a much simpler, saner way of getting OSX to run properly on my P5Q3. I've managed to get OS X installed with a Boot132 CD and a retail copy of Leopard 10.5.1 and Macinized's MacLoader, but I just can't seem to get things to work via Chameleon and the 10.5.7 update seems to KILL any changes I make (kernel panic anyone?). I'll definitely give this method a whirl and post my results!

biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After more Googling all I could find was that when updating from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 you were meant to interrupt the update process and remove this kext file (Among other things) - In the end after a combination of using Google and reading through my install log I narrowed it down to DSDT issues - The whole reason I had flashed my BIOS was to get around this though - After more mucking around I thought F**k it - I would try Juzzi's v2001 patched BIOS for the P5Q-E - This installed without a hitch and lo and behold - OS X booted in to the GUI and asked me to configure my keyboard ;)

• iAktos Main System
  • Default decryptor
  • Default DSDT patcher

can u plz help me..... how will i install it on ASUS p5gc mx