ATI 3850 vs Nvidia 9600GT?!

mitch_de

4 posts in this topic

EDIT:

NOW i have that 9600 GT.

Very nice thing.

Easy install:

no plist edit of NV*.kext (as most other NVIDIA cards)

only installed netkas ati_init.kext (has also NV code in )

Much easier than the 3850 nightmare to get QE/CI working :mellow:

OLD:

I plan to buy an NVIDIA 9500/9600/8800 ot GT260because Snow Leo cant work with my ATI 3850.

I am not an hardcore gamer, so NV bench values must not be better then my 3850, but should reach at least 80% of them.

Also bench values of ATI 48xx cards would be fine if the can run under Snow Leopard (QE/CI).

Would be fine to see some bench Screenshoots.

DL OpenGLExtensionsviewer (latest V is 3.1.2 / 03/2009):

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

To get really gpu speed bench values and compareable to mine, please bench with :

- set Fullscreen

- set >= 1200x900 Resolution with x32(=Fullcolur)

- set Bench Mode

- set Multisampling to 4 (= much more work for GPU, gives much less CPU depended Bench values)

- set Anisotrophy to 4 ( = same as above)

Below my results at 1600x1200 and 1440x1080, MULTI=4, ANI=4, BENCH

Bild_92.jpg

Bild_93.jpg

Ohhh my mistake.. Well remember snow is still a beta os untill sep, amd my guess is short after sep the 3850 will work on snow also.

Yes - perhaps.

But also now (10.5) some ATI cards 3850 and 3870 are very difficult to get fully worked.

Lots of 38XX Users , even experienced , get an nightmare with that card type.

NVs seems to be much easier for us - and so its also clear that EFIX-USB, psytar+pearPC & Co often use NV cards.

Now benchvalues by me with 9600GT (Gigabyte)

I was a bit happy that 9600GT not was a bit slower ( i thought) it was a bit faster as my ATI 3850 :(

HINT: Since a few weaks you can get such "green" NV 9600 GT (newer GPU build) which takes less power.

Normal 9600GT is near equal 3850 in 3D, a bit less in Desktop(2D).

Sure, an working ATI 4770 would be much better in Watt/FPS but i believe it will take a few months at least . Also Snow Leopard seems to be an problem (much changes in ATI drivers!)

Bild_120.jpg