Video of iPhone/iPod OS running on Mac Pro with touch screen monitor

Ed

17 posts in this topic

The bright sparks over at Dreamfield (Swedish post-production powerhouse) have figured out how to get the iPhone/iPod OS running on a Mac Pro with a touch screen monitor. Check out the brief vid below!

They don't use drivers for mac anyways.

But my guess is that there is enough room in a mac pro to emulate certain aspects of the iphone/ipod OS. Way more than enough, so some of it if not most or all is done through that. But we do need a guide for this, tihs would be pretty damn fun to have. :)

More than likely using the iPhone Simulator (a modified version of it). If you note, he's apparently using the Remote with this for a Home Button, so who knows.

I still call fake. Could be a clever video done. With practice you can make it look just like you are "using" it, but in reality you're just playing along to the movie to make it look like you're interacting with it.

Plus, what monitor is that? If it's really working and that really turned in response to the monitor changing orientation, you know it needs an accelerometer for that. As far as I know, no consumer monitors have this (but I could be wrong if it's a monitor that is ZOMG NEW), and so far only places like hospitals have those kinds of monitors.

I love how there's no info in the video or in the page it's posted on in regards to how this was done. Screams fake.

Theres no doubt it is real you know how much practice that would take to get exactally right. Its real only thing I want to know is how they made the custom accelerometer.

You've seen "Leopard on Ipod" haven't you?

Well first of all unless he somehow got the the source code of the iphone OS and complied it for x86, then its unlikely. I personally think he had his friend behind him with an iphone connected with a Video jack to the monitor and they did some really cool choreography. if you read the comments from the original youtube video half the world think its a pretty good fake video made by as it is a post-production company.

anyway I'm personally working on a real iphone emulator. any body with in-depth knowledge of the iphone architecture, its booting sequence, ARM, Virtualization and general cocoa writing skills can give me a buzz.

so far i've got a few pieces of the puzzle.

PM if you want in, can help, and got the time to put into it.

its part of a Bigger picture you'll see....

Plus there's no way in hell he had an accelerometer attached to that..

Reasons why this is fake:

- Resolution is too high

- Dell monitor has no touch screen options available, let alone multitouch

- There's no input cable going to the monitor (would be on the center of the left side, when vertical. There are only two [what appear to be] USB cables)

- Browsing is way too fast

- Guy's timing does not line up perfectly, and also his pinch & scale movement was wrong (relative vs. absolute positioning)

Also, http://www.dreamfield.se/2009/06/iphoneipo...ral-experiment/

Actual movie used: http://www.dreamfield.se/wp-content/video/iSpoof_HQ.mov

• 7 months later...