Sleep but no shutdown

6 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I have a very strange problem.

On my compaq presario cq70-140ED with intel core 2 duo processor I can get my computer in sleep.

But shutdown isn't working the screen just goes of, but the fan and lights keep on. Even with the two patches on the Ideneb cd apllied.

Anyone who knows how to fix it?

Grtz!

I don't have a Compaq, but I do have problems with shutdown (and automatic sleep after the given interval) and I am starting to wonder about the sheer number of people complaining about sleep and shutdown issues on this and other forums, especially after upgrading to 10.5.7, but inserting a DVD makes shutdown automatic sleep work for me.

Working fixes for shutdown are however nowhere to be found. At least not to my knowledge. But your shutdown problem might not be hardware related, but caused by some installed kext or other software product, so have you checked sudo cat /var/log/system.log and sudo dmesg already?

Ok, I've tried everything, but I understand nothing about the fact that my shutdown isn't working.

I've tried the vanilla ACPI kexts, I tried voodoopower, I've tried OpenHalt and PowerOff fix. And my sleep only works with the smbios of Monkey_@@. I don't understand How an SMBIOS can have any influence at the working of sleep.

Here are my specs:

Compaq presario cq70-140ED

320 GB TOSHIBA HDD.

Intel P45 chipset, ICH9

ACPI compitable

AR 5007 wifi, not working.

Conexant 221 HD SmartAudio working with the kexts in the second post:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152077

What do you think? Is it the Audio that is breaking the shutdown. But I also have the problem with no AppleHDA.kext and HDAenabler.kext?

Help, Shutdown is the only non working thing on my mac. My broadcom wifi card is coming this week.

PS: Excuse me for my bad english. And no, It doesn't shutdown with an DVD in my drive :):P

OK, I know what the problem is know, It seems that the NVIDIA drivers for my 9200M GE are preventing the system from shutdown. When I delete all NV* & GE* kexts the system shuts down properly.

But how to fix? The problem occurs when using EFI strings NVinject NvKush or NvDarwin. So...

I hope someone knows a solution.

Grtz.

Wow! That's a new interesting approach for me. I mean removing files.

Many different things can prevent shutdown, and sleep, from working. Here's another example: My /boot (chameleon) prevents restart from working. Replacing the file fixed it. Weird as it may seem, that's how things are sometimes.

BTW: What do you see when you click on USB/USB Bus in System Profiler; Is that "Host Controller Location: Built In USB", which is fine, or do you see "Host Controller Location: Expansion Slot", in which case a little patching is required.

Automatic sleep works for you (with 10.5.7) without a DVD in the drive tray?

Say, are you familiar with DSDT patching? Are you using the latest available BIOS for your computer?

P.s. There's nothing wrong with your English – my German is probably worse; hey I am only kidding... you are Dutch. I know. Waar (ongeveer) woon je, als ik vragen mag?

• 1 month later...
Hi everybody,

I have a very strange problem.

On my compaq presario cq70-140ED with intel core 2 duo processor I can get my computer in sleep.

But shutdown isn't working the screen just goes of, but the fan and lights keep on. Even with the two patches on the Ideneb cd apllied.

Anyone who knows how to fix it?

Grtz!

I have exactly the same problem on an Acer Aspire. There is one thing though the shutdown only seems to fail when I have had the computer on for 4 hours or more it work fine if I have only had the computer on for 1 hour or less. 2 or 3 hours I don't yet.