Yukon Marvell 88E8056 + 10.5.7 = White Screen?

Vertu

10 posts in this topic

After I upgrade from 10.5.6 (where the Marvell 88E8056 is working fine), to 10.5.7, everything else with my system is fine, but my adapter won't pick up an IP...

When I look in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIn/ the AppleYukon2.kext is missing...

then when I restore the Yukon2.kext and reboot I get a blank white screen... and I can't get into safe mode (-x) at all.. I'm stuck!

Anyone else experience this? Am I missing something here? Can someone help? Thanks..

I have the same problem with the Marvell 88E8056 controller (on an Asus P5Q-E motherboard). My sound didn't work (I think it's the ADI AD2000b sound controller) and my ethernet didn't work. In the network settings in the system preferences, it says that the cable is not connected, and OS X "knows" the ethernet controller is there, but it's not working. I was finally able to get my video (1GB Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 with stock cooler) working though using the Natit kext from Netkas. Granted, it took me probably half a dozen tries to even be able to get the 10.5.7 update to work in the first place.

OSx86 Tools would not launch immediately following the update before I rebooted (in fact, NOTHING would launch after installing the update). I was able to fix the permissions using the Disk Utility on the Installation DVD by verifying and repairing the disk permissions. As far as sound, I was able to get sound working partly using the VoodooHDA.kext, but now my volume control on my keyboard doesn't actually work for the system sound. My system is almost completely usable except for the network not working, and that makes it unusable for me.

I have the same problem with the Marvell 88E8056 controller (on an Asus P5Q-E motherboard). My sound didn't work (I think it's the ADI AD2000b sound controller) and my ethernet didn't work.

Here's your sound and LAN for 10.5.7.

Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1.

You need vanilla IONEtworkingFamily.kext and AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.7. The attached kexts go in /extra and the LAN will only work when booting with -f but that can be fixed. I'm just too lazy to do it. Search..

Anyone with Marvell 88E8056 and AD ADI2000B should be able to use these drivers, they're not specifically for ASUS P5Q-E.

Thanks to THe KiNG and cVAD.

P5Q_E_10.5.7_sound_and_LAN.zip

I just used the Property List Editor (developer tools) to open Info.plist and copy/paste the entry, and renamed stuff afterwards. Much easier this way Oh, and the attached file is to make your Yukon Marvell 88E8056 work (with 10.5.7) but without the need to edit anything :)

Note: Don't have the developer tools installed? Then use something like: PlistEdit Pro.

p.s. I wonder how many of you actually use the /extra folder to store modified kext files... seriously.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

I was able to get networking working on my install finally (as well as sound). I found both answers on the forum after doing a lot of reading (more than I really cared to honestly). However, I don't remember the threads/posts where I got the answers, so here's what I did:

Go into /System/Library/Extensions and make a back up copy of IONetworkingFamily.kext (in fact, make 2 copies). When you've made 2 copies, delete the one that's in the /Syste/Library/Extensions folder. Open up one of the IONetworkingFamily.kext files and go to the following area:

IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\AppleYukon2.kext\Contents\Info.plist

Open the Info.plist file in TextEdit and do a search for "8053". This will take you to the following:

<key>Yukon-88E8056</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>
		<key>EnableLowPwr</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>yukon2osx</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x436411ab</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>MACNumber</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>Model</key>
		<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string>
		<key>NetworkNumber</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>RxDeadman</key>
		<integer>90</integer>
		<key>RxRingGrowOnPause</key>
		<integer>10</integer>
		<key>RxRingSize</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>RxRingSize_100MBit</key>
		<integer>128</integer>
		<key>RxRingSize_10MBit</key>
		<integer>64</integer>
		<key>RxRingSize_GigaBit</key>
		<integer>256</integer>
		<key>TxRingSize</key>
		<integer>256</integer>
		<key>Vendor</key>
		<string>Marvell</string>
	</dict>

Mine looks a little different. There are 3 things you need to change:

1.) Replace the Yukon-88E88053 line with this: <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>

2.) Replace the string key 0x436211ab with this: <string>0x436411ab</string>

3.) Replace the string key Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA with this: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string>

The first time I did this I didn't have to reboot before networking started to work, but you may have to. Once you've saved the change to the backup of the kext file, install it with KextHelper then reboot with -f. Networking should work now.

Here's your sound and LAN for 10.5.7.

Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1.

You need vanilla IONEtworkingFamily.kext and AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.7. The attached kexts go in /extra and the LAN will only work when booting with -f but that can be fixed. I'm just too lazy to do it. Search..

Anyone with Marvell 88E8056 and AD ADI2000B should be able to use these drivers, they're not specifically for ASUS P5Q-E.

Thanks to THe KiNG and cVAD.

Thanks for posting those files Beerkex'd. I tried putting all 3 files in the /Extras folder in the root, and rebooted. Audio worked (after I selected HD Audio Output in the Output tab). Network however did not work. I removed the LegacyAppleYukon2.kext from the /Extras folder and installed it to /System/Library/Extensions with Kexthelper, deleted the Extensions.mkext file and rebooted with -f, and it worked that time. I haven't tried rebooting without using -f yet (whenever I use -f, it gives me the orange drive icons, and they're ugly lol), but will try soon. So far audio is working better now than it was before with the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. I just wish we could get 5.1 surround, but stereo is better than no sound at all.

Edit 1: Also, I did not install Chamelon 2.0 RC1 yet (what will that do for this issue?).

Edit 2: Just rebooted without using the -f flag, and networking is still working. Also, this seems to have fixed my time machine issue too (not being able to back up without using the TMFix.pkg from the iPC 10.5.6 DVD). Also, when not using -f, it started using the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, which causes loud pops when turning the volume all the way down. Will try removing that and installing the other 2 kexts to /System/Library/Extensions to see if this corrects the audio problem too.

Edit 3: Audio did not work at all when I removed the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. When using this kext along with the AD2000b.HDA.FIX.kext and HDAEnabler.kext in the /Extras folder, audio works the same as it did in 10.5.6, but in order to get audio to work, I "do" have to reboot with -f. Network with the Marvell Yukon 88E8056 controller still works fine though :)

Thanks for that Master Chief. I get the standard drive icons now even when rebooting with -f. Now if I can get the audio working "correctly" without having to boot using -f I should be good (with the exception of sleep and shutdown not working, but that seems to be common). Other than that, I'd say my install is about 95-98% complete. Thanks for the help everyone.

• 4 weeks later...
I just used the Property List Editor (developer tools) to open Info.plist and copy/paste the entry, and renamed stuff afterwards. Much easier this way Oh, and the attached file is to make your Yukon Marvell 88E8056 work (with 10.5.7) but without the need to edit anything :angel:

Note: Don't have the developer tools installed? Then use something like: PlistEdit Pro.

p.s. I wonder how many of you actually use the /extra folder to store modified kext files... seriously.

Master Chief,

Is there any way to address the "_CFGetHostUUIDString" error addressed here: http://sneosx86.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...ension-fix.html with the file you posted?

Thanks,

Andrew