Installation On A ThinkPad T60

MaxR

3 posts in this topic

I posted this on the HCL but I wanted to see if there was anyone else working on OSx86 on a T60 thinkpad. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone else trying to a similar install. If there is anyone else that has done a successful installation on a T60 who might have any suggestions for anything that I have partially working or not working please let me know! I have a little bit of artifacting occasionally with video... Any good ideas for that? :blowup:

ThinkPad T60 (Type 8743-B9U)

* Installed using iPC 10.5.6

* Customized install:

* Audio: Azalia Audio

* Fixes and Patches -> PS2 Device Support -> PS2 Keyboard Fix (for touchpoint, touchpad, and keyboard support)

* Drivers -> Power Management -> Clamshell Display Support (if you want sleep on lid close)

* Applications: OSx86 Tools, Universal OSx86 Installer

Works (After Install):

* Audio

* Wireless - Atheros AR5418

* Ethernet - Intel 82573L

* USB

* Bluetooth

* CD/DVD (hardware eject button doesn't work when booted, use software eject)

* Video - ATI Radeon x1400 (1024x768, No QE/CI)

Works (After Fixes):

Get Download: http://drop.io/hidden/howkqb222ed4em/asset...3ZvLXQ2MC16aXA=

* Video - ATI Radeon x1400 (1400x1050, QE/CI)

Fix: Copy /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext to desktop - right click - show package contents of kext - edit info.plist with textedit: Look for 0x71461002 and change to 0x71451002, Run Universal OSx86 Installer -> Set Native Boot Res: 1400x1050 & Install Custom Kexts from HD: select modified kext on desktop - Click Install, Run OSx86 Tools -> Enable/Disable Quartz GL - Restart

* Speedstep (hack)

Fix: Copy SpeedStep to applications folder (from download)

Open Terminal: cd .. <enter> cd .. <enter> cd Applications <enter>

sudo -s (enter password when prompted)

sudo chown root SpeedStep.app/Contents/MacOS/SpeedStep

sudo chmod +s SpeedStep.app/Contents/MacOS/SpeedStep

System Preferences - Accounts - Login Items: Add SpeedStep from Applications folder and check Hide

Run Universal OSx86 Installer -> Install Custom Kexts from HD: ACPICPUThrottle.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, IntelEhancedSpeedStep.kext (from download)

* Fingerprint Login

Fix: Install ProtectorSuiteMac1_2.dmg (from download or: http://www.upek.com/support/downloads/mac/)

* Sleep

Partial Fix: Delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext

(sleeps just fine but screen doesn't turn off unless you close lid.)

Not Working:

* Battery Meter (I think this worked with iDeneb 10.5.6 should be a fix available)

Undetermined:

* PCI1510 PC Card Cardbus (may work, didn't have anything to test it with)

* Video Out (VGA) (may work, didn't test) . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also running 10.5.6 on a Thinkpad T60 (model 2007-GBU), and had many of the same problems you did. I wish I had run across your post before I installed! Anyway, I got it working with iDeneb 1.4/Leo 10.5.6. For the video I played with a number of kexts before I found one that worked, and finally got it working with a minimum of artifacting. As I understand it, the artifacting is caused by a problem with the mouse shadow, which is not updated properly under the wrong circumstances. A program called Mouse Locator can be used to replace the shadow with a "clear" shadow. Check this thread for full instructions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=40&p=89236

You'll still see a tiny bit of artifacting, particularly if you move the cursor over live video. But it's barely noticable under other circumstances.

Aside from the video, my other major problem was getting the wireless working. Unlike you, I started with an Intel 3945ABG card. After doing a bit of research, I settled on Lenovo's ABG Atheros solution (labelled simply "Thinkpad a/b/g Adapter".) Apparently you MUST use a Lenovo approved adapter, otherwise the laptop will not even POST. (You can use a hacked BIOS, but I didn't feel like jeopardizing my warranty.) Even though the Atheros wireless is recognized as Airport-compatible, it will not connect normally to a WPA/WPA2 network. For that, you must use Network Diagnostics (System Preferences->Network->Assist me->Diagnostics.) Or, from Terminal, you can type "sudo networksetup -setairportnetwork <SSID> <passphrase>".

Some other differences...My combo drive ejects just fine from hardware. Battery meter works fine, but I had to dig around on the iDeneb DVD to find the proper kext. (Sorry it's been a while; can't remember exactly which one I installed.) Sleep works manually (Fn-F4), but doesn't blank the screen if invoked while the screen saver is running. Also, where is this SpeedStep hack that you reference? And finally, do you know if your ExpressCard/54 reader works?

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your nice tutorial.

I actually have been using OSx86 on my Thinkpad T60 for about one year. It works great unless two problems, one is the graphic card does not support QE, the other one is the driver for the wireless is lousy. The wireless will automatically goes off by itself if no active traffic on it. So everytime after idling for a while (2 minuts), I have to turn off and then turn on the "Airport" to regain the wireless connection. I am not sure it is also in your case. If not, please let me know what kind of driver you have.

Also, I tried your method of 0x71451002 on my T60, QE is still not there but QuartzGL is Supported. Please advice me what to do to have QE.

Thanks!