1st OSX86 Build, Need some Help.

5 posts in this topic

Hey, this is my first post here. I really want osx86, and I've been looking at the wiki and everything. I want to build with these parts or parts similar. I'll pretty much take ANY advice though.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

• Motherboard ASUS P5Q3 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
  • Gfx Card EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
  • Audio Card SIIG IC-710012-S2 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface SoundWave
  • Case ATOP Gladiator AT878BK-C Black SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • PSU Cooler hec HP585D 585W ATX12V Power Supply - No Power Cord - OEM
  • Memory SUPER TALENT 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory [2 of them]
  • HD Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Accesories:

Questions:

• Will all these work together?
  • And should I use a Leopard retail or iPC? Or a different distro?
  • Will all wireless printers work?
  • If these don't work together, what different pieces do I need?

Please tell me if you need any more information. And thanks for your time/help.

it looks pretty much like a good compatible build, double check that video card it looks like a pretty new version and that sometimes can hinder getting everything working. Sometimes you have to use components that are a version back just because they've been around longer and more people will be able to advise you. But if you want the latest stuff then you have to be willing to guinea pig yourself a little. I'm not sure about the bluetooth and the webcam but all your core stuff looked good you really just need to nail the mobo, the video, the wireless card or Lan card. those are the items that need the most compatibility checking. Case, cooler, memory, etc thats pretty much preference. also you might get better responses if you post the items straight away vs just posting a link to it cuz most people are going to want to see your build straight away if you want their feedback I know its only a click away but its still an extra step.

Motherboard- unless you have one already, or are getting one exceptionally cheap, personally, I'd switch it out for a newer EP45-UD3x model, IE: UD3P, UD3L, UD3R

Processor- great.

GFX card- probably but like the previous poster said, hard to tell for certain without actually having it. It's best to get a card that other people can confirm using.

Sound card- probably not. I'd drop that like a hot potato. Use the on board audio, or get one of these for clean, hassle-free USB digital audio.

RAM- it'll work, but it's no deal. The CAS latency 6 blows. Get two 2X 4GB kits of better RAM + heatspreaders, IE: this, or this.

Webcam- I doubt very much that'll work. Pick a webcam with actual Mac drivers. Unfortunately, newegg doesn't have a very good selection of Mac-compatible webcams.

Bluetooth- will work, but check this out: $2.50 + free shipping- works OOB with OSX plus it's so tiny you can leave it in a USB port permanently.

If you can, use a retail/Boot-132 install. Plus with a retail DVD, you can select the actual printer drivers for your printer at install.

Motherboard- unless you have one already, or are getting one exceptionally cheap, personally, I'd switch it out for a newer EP45-UD3x model, IE: UD3P, UD3L, UD3R

Processor- great.

GFX card- probably but like the previous poster said, hard to tell for certain without actually having it. It's best to get a card that other people can confirm using.

Sound card- probably not. I'd drop that like a hot potato. Use the on board audio, or get one of these for clean, hassle-free USB digital audio.

RAM- it'll work, but it's no deal. The CAS latency 6 blows. Get two 2X 4GB kits of better RAM + heatspreaders, IE: this, or this.

Webcam- I doubt very much that'll work. Pick a webcam with actual Mac drivers. Unfortunately, newegg doesn't have a very good selection of Mac-compatible webcams.

Bluetooth- will work, but check this out: $2.50 + free shipping- works OOB with OSX plus it's so tiny you can leave it in a USB port permanently.

If you can, use a retail/Boot-132 install. Plus with a retail DVD, you can select the actual printer drivers for your printer at install.

So I have 4 RAM slots?