10.5.6 on MSI G31M3-f

kabes1

27 posts in this topic

Here's the deal:

I'm very new not only at the Hackintosh thing but OSX all together.

Here's the configuration I have (I'm hoping that I would not have to change much because I'm having a hard time finding some of the hardware)

1- MSI Intel G31M3-F LGA775 microATX (MS-7528-010)

2- Intel Core2 Duo 2.8GHz (E7400)

3- 4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM

4- 500GB SATA HDD

5- SATA DVD RW

6- Inno3D GeForce 9400 GT 1GB DDR2 (PCI Express)

After doing some research online, I found the the xXx 10.5.6 works with this board, I had to:

1- Disable USB Legacy Support

2- Use cpus=1 –v to install

3- I selected:

a. Essential System Software

b. System Kexts: Essential System Kexts

c. Optional Kernel: Voodoo 9.5.0 1.0

d. Chipset Support: ICHx Chipset Support

e. Graphics Drivers: NVidia Support: NVinject: NVinject_0.2.1_1GB

f. AudioDrivers: ALC Audio Drivers: Old ALC88x Drivers: alc888 3 ports

g. NetworkDrivers: RealtekR1000.Driver

h. Tools: all

4- After a few minutes the Installation Successful Screen is shown

5- The reboot freezes

6- When I run it with the cpus=1 rd=disk0s2 –v options it boots but the following happens:

a. LAN does not work

b. No Sound

c. No USB

d. One Display resolution

7- If I run the OSx86 tools and I add cpus=1 rd=disk0s2 options the system does not boot properly, I need to keep the DVD in there, boot from it and then run it with: cpus=1 rd=disk0s2 options for it to run

Is there a chance that I get this system up and running? If not what kind of microATX board would you recommend? I need something that I can do the least amount of work to get running. If there is a chance that I can run this system, please advise (I would appreciate the boring details)

What are the rest of your BIOS settings?

I've got the same board, and I have Legacy USB disabled. I'd like to know what else you've done to get it to at least boot without sound and lan. I can't even get that far, I just hang there in verbose mode, or get the spinning wheel when I don't!

What are the rest of your BIOS settings?

I've got the same board, and I have Legacy USB disabled. I'd like to know what else you've done to get it to at least boot without sound and lan. I can't even get that far, I just hang there in verbose mode, or get the spinning wheel when I don't!

I think we should all put our heads together on this one.. I just bought this board and I am insitant on getting OSX on it. :thumbsup_anim:

I have tried all the tips and tricks I can think of.. I will keep playing with it and let you know if I come up with anything..

I think we should all put our heads together on this one.. I just bought this board and I am insitant on getting OSX on it. :thumbsup_anim:

I have tried all the tips and tricks I can think of.. I will keep playing with it and let you know if I come up with anything..

I believe you may need a DSDT modded BIOS......either made using fassl's DSDT patcher if you can install OS X but only run it using cpus=1 or get a modded bios from OriginalMACNUT.......I think a modded BIOS for your system may be available.....(MS)-7528v12 or more likely (MS)-7529 G31M3-F V2 or, if not, he could maybe mod the MSI BIOS from here that matches your system....

Only being able to run with cpus=1 usually indicates the need for a modded DSDT BIOS or DSDT.aml file......

7- If I run the OSx86 tools and I add cpus=1 rd=disk0s2 options the system does not boot properly, I need to keep the DVD in there, boot from it and then run it with: cpus=1 rd=disk0s2 options for it to run

I got the same problem with my ECS G33T-M2. Must boot from installd DVD with option rd=diskXsX otherwise it will hang at apple screen with spinning wheel. I have been looking for solution for a while and still NO GO yet.

I got the same problem with my ECS G33T-M2. Must boot from installd DVD with option rd=diskXsX otherwise it will hang at apple screen with spinning wheel. I have been looking for solution for a while and still NO GO yet.

Have you tried installing the Chameleon Bootloader once you are in OSX? That worked for me on my HP laptop which had the same issue...

Thanks!

I believe you may need a DSDT modded BIOS......either made using fassl's DSDT patcher if you can install OS X but only run it using cpus=1 or get a modded bios from OriginalMACNUT.......I think a modded BIOS for your system may be available.....(MS)-7528v12 or more likely (MS)-7529 G31M3-F V2 or, if not, he could maybe mod the MSI BIOS from here that matches your system....

Only being able to run with cpus=1 usually indicates the need for a modded DSDT BIOS or DSDT.aml file......

I found the correct one for my board... Now the big test.. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the information.

SUCCESS!!!

Thanks for the info, the patched BIOS worked like a charm! Now if only I can get a driver for the GMA 3100 or my old Matrox g400... LMAO...

SUCCESS!!!

Thanks for the info, the patched BIOS worked like a charm! Now if only I can get a driver for the GMA 3100 or my old Matrox g400... LMAO...

Glad to help..... :mellow:

For the benefit of other readers please report the full details of your MOBO brand/model and the modded BIOS file from OriginalMACNUT that has worked with it....... :D

If you are talking about Intel GMA X3100 then see here.....

Glad to help..... :hysterical:

For the benefit of other readers please report the full details of your MOBO brand/model and the modded BIOS file from OriginalMACNUT that has worked with it....... :)

Yes! Please do. I have this board and I was going to perform a retail DVD installation. Quick question, i bought a regular Leopard DVD and not the family Pack, if I do the installation on this Mobo and it doesnt work out well and I try it out on a different mobo, will the installation go thru?

Thanks!

SUCCESS!!!

Spill the beans! What distribution did you use? Which kernel did you select etc, etc, etc.

I've also downloaded OriginalMacNut's modified BIOS and just now started the installation (My brand new Video card and SATA DVD drive arrived today... it's nice to see the Install estimate at 16 minutes as opposed to 57 minutes. A shame that the video cards which are SUPPOSED to work with a mac don't work with my existing Mac OR my PC that I'm converting into a hackintosh... PCIE, not AGP), but I'd still like to know which kernel to select.

I'm using iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6

I just realized that this was for the G31M3-F and not the G31M3-L

I've submitted my own BIOS request to OMN as well, but I'd still like to see/hear what went into getting your successful install. Might be a good jumping off point for me.

Theres no drivers for those graphics cards and there will never be, period...

You can get a cheap Nvidia PCI-e (even a 7100 would do), and you will be set

Oh I know.. :hysterical: Thought we could all enjoy a laugh though! I actually had already purchased an ATI card on ebay... Just waiting for it to come in...

I installed using iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6), the Voodoo 9.5 kernel, NO VIDEO drivers (because mine was not supported anyways), Realtek 1000 ethernet, ALC888 sound (which did NOT work, I then had to install the patches I found in this forum... Although in retrospect, there was a patched ALC888 driver on the iDeneb installer, so perhaps it will work if we tried it again..) I also did not have to disable USB legacy support like others had mentioned in the forum once I used the modded BIOS. If you guys have any other questions feel free! I will let you know what I can!

Glad to help..... :P

For the benefit of other readers please report the full details of your MOBO brand/model and the modded BIOS file from OriginalMACNUT that has worked with it....... :)

No, I have the dreaded GMA 3100.. from what I have read and experienced, they are two different devices...

As for the mobo, I used the (MS)-7528v12 BIOS, and I have a G31M3 MSI mobo... Now from what I have read ALL the G31M3 boards are basically the same (F, L etc), as even on the MSI site, they are all the same information (and are all listed as MS-7528, so the BIOS should be similar, if not exactly the same... But I would definitely check it out before flashing of course!

I got it working!!!

Well, 90% working...

I got a hacked BIOS for the motherboard, and booted

I enabled Legacy USB, and I didn't have to use CPUS=1

Voodoo 9.5.10

ICHx

I had to purhcase an NVIDIA card, and that's working just grand

If I leave it on for extended periods of time, I will get a kernel panic related to the window server Problem 1

I have either no sound, or only sound from the rear port, depending on the kexts used. The front panel doesn't work for headphones, and neither the front nor the rear pink panels for microphone/input have ever worked, but they do work in Windows

Hi folks,

I'm new to this hackintosh stuff so I'm needing some help.

My MB is a MSI G31M3-L V2(MS-7529) and by what you guys were talking here it doesn't matter what G31M3 model I have, the same BIOS mod will work.

I'm needing a confirmation on it, will it work with the (MS)-7528v12 BIOS mod?

If you're not sure if it really works for my MB so if I try to update it and it doesn't work, will I be able to restore my last working flash back?

I also have this installed on an MSI G31M3-F V2.

I used iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6)

Install only worked for me after using the modded BIOS from this forum topic and disabling USB Legacy Device support.

I did not need to do cpus=1.

My hardware:

Celeron 1.8ghz 775

1GB 667 DDR2

SATA DVD and HDD

Onboard everything else

In the installer, I chose the following options:

Voodoo Kernel 9.5

Realtek 1000

I didn't choose video or sound as the onboard video isnt supported anyway and I prefer USB sound.

Ethernet isn't working yet which sucks, but I'm sure if I search there will be a manual way on these forums.

Machine seems quite fast for a Celeron, am still typing this on my Wind U100 so will now try and get the network going and give some more feedback.

Cheers,

Leon

Ethernet is now working.

I searched the forum and found what looked like many tricky ways to get it working and a hacky way to get it working, so I tried the booting to XP, then enabling wake on lan, then booting back to OS X and it is now downloading all the automagic updates from Apple at a good speed.

Before this, it would show in System Prefs and would even get a DHCP address assigned correctly, just couldn't see the outside world.

Machine is zippy enough as is. If I am able to make some $$ this year will lash out and get a Dual or Quad and max out the ram. I have an 8600GT in wifey's hackintosh which I think will dissappear tonight so I can play some Hitman or GTA :D (there goes my money-making time!)

Grrr.

On my G31M3-L v2, it works, for an undetermined period of time, then I end up with a kernel panic with the window server as the cause.

I've submitted info to the development team, but haven't heard anything. It's real frustrating to see the kernel panic when the computer is idle. I could understand if I was running Poser or Second Life, but not if it's just sitting there, or the screen saver is going.

My other issue, which I've found a work around for is that the onboard ALC888 HD Audio will not work correctly. Either I can only get output, very faint output through the line out, or no sound whatsoever. None of the other ports work, no microphone in on the front or back panels.

To get around this, I simply got a USB headset from Logitech.

The on board video, wasn't working except at 1024x768, and I needed an NVIDIA card to run SL anyway, so that was another quick to resolve issue.

I'd love to find a kernel that works with 10.5.6, however.

The voodoo kernel from the iDeneb 10.5.6 install is working flawlessly for me. I only had to use the attached patched audio file for my sound...

Good luck!

Rich

Grrr.

On my G31M3-L v2, it works, for an undetermined period of time, then I end up with a kernel panic with the window server as the cause.

I've submitted info to the development team, but haven't heard anything. It's real frustrating to see the kernel panic when the computer is idle. I could understand if I was running Poser or Second Life, but not if it's just sitting there, or the screen saver is going.

My other issue, which I've found a work around for is that the onboard ALC888 HD Audio will not work correctly. Either I can only get output, very faint output through the line out, or no sound whatsoever. None of the other ports work, no microphone in on the front or back panels.

The on board video, wasn't working except at 1024x768, and I needed an NVIDIA card to run SL anyway, so that was another quick to resolve issue.

ALC888Audio.mpkg.zip

• 1 month later...
Grrr.

Just out of curiosity, I had a very similar problem on my hp dv6226us laptop, and simply installing the Chameleon Bootloader v2.0 fixed the problem... Maybe give that a shot if you are still getting the kernel panics on this board.

Good Luck!

hey guys ok i have downlaoded the g31m3-f v2 modded bios and installed but now i can`t insall leo4all 10.5.6 and i

iAtkos 4.1 what i want to do now??i think after installing the modded bios all versions of osx86 should work :S please send me a message

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys ok i have downlaoded the g31m3-f v2 modded bios and installed but now i can`t insall leo4all 10.5.6 and i

iAtkos 4.1 what i want to do now??i think after installing the modded bios all versions of osx86 should work :S please send me a message

Hey, did you get it work i have the same problem i either get stuck at the point ! Waiting for volume with uuid etc or Kernel Version, or trying to boot from iPC i have to disable my usb controller but without that i have no keyboard & mouse so what im trying is different versions, combos, distros from my imac installing them onto a usb hdd and see if one works no luck yet, burning iPC 10.5.6 ( No ppf's patched ) Right now and seeing if that works on my hdd if i patch the usb drivers ... before updating my bios from msi website i could get into the installer simple without doing anything like this i guess i shouldnt of updated ! ! now i tried patching the bios from originalmacnut but i dont think it worked it says it did though but nothing changed in my bios settings,

Lloyd

• 3 months later...

HELLO EVERYBODY

i ve succesfully instal OSX on MSI G31M3-L V2.

If you follow my steps you ll make it just fine...

NOTE: I used iatkos v7.

Consider one thing: MSI G31M3-L and MSI G31M3-F are basicaly the same whitch means

YES you can use the same BIOS witch i'll attach belowA7529IMS.120.zip

1. after flashing of BIOS, Disable USB legasy support

2. on BIOS settings Choose ACPI -S1. Default is S3.

3. I Suppose you move on the set up.

I attached a jpgpost-518937-1257426256_thumb.jpg you can print and use the settings from there.

NOTE? although it seems that system profiller regognise on board Ethernet, it doesn't seem to work, so

i pluged a thirt party PCI Ethernet (Realtek).

Here's the spects I used:

GIGABYTE GEFORCE 9400GT CUDA 1GB

4 gig ram 2xKINGSTON KVR667D2N5 2gb

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E7500 2.93 GHZ

SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST3750528AS 750GB

dvd: SONY OPTIARC AD-5240S

Whola!

After installation TRY the following attached drivers for Audio.AzaliaAudio.pkg.zipALC888Audio.mpkg.zipALC883Audio.mpkg.zip

NOTE: the system profiner shows no audio card but it doesnt matter, it works.

CHEERS

• 3 weeks later...