Chameleon Bootloader V2 - Set Default boot OS

12 posts in this topic

Hi

i have recently installed Xp and Kalyway(Mac OSX 10)

and i have dual botted it with the chain0 loader in my boot.ini file so mac shows up

on boot

i have installed chameleon and ever time it starts it has a timeout of 10 seconds to boot the defualt

which is The mac partition how do i change the default so it automaticly boots Windows xp after 10 seconds?

Hi

i have recently installed Xp and Kalyway(Mac OSX 10)

and i have dual botted it with the chain0 loader in my boot.ini file so mac shows up

on boot

i have installed chameleon and ever time it starts it has a timeout of 10 seconds to boot the defualt

which is The mac partition how do i change the default so it automaticly boots Windows xp after 10 seconds?

Modify your com.apple.Boot.plist to contain the following:

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(x,y)</string>

where X is the drive and Y the partition.

• Like 1

i modify the com.apple.Boot.plist in the etras folder in my mac drive right ?

i edited the com.apple.Boot.plist file in the extra folder at the root of my mac drive and it looks like this after i edited it tell meh if this looks right

my disk number is 0 and the partition with windows on it is 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>rd=disk0s2</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>yes</string>

<string>hd(0,1)</string>

</dict>

</plist>

everything worked out great but knwo i have another issue

when i start my computer up the windows boot loader comes up and asks to start windows xp or mac osx (becuase i added teh chain0 to the boot.ini

how do i get chameloen to run as soon as a i start up ?

everything worked out great but knwo i have another issue

when i start my computer up the windows boot loader comes up and asks to start windows xp or mac osx (becuase i added teh chain0 to the boot.ini

how do i get chameloen to run as soon as a i start up ?

Do you have it set in your bios to boot from the HDD that Chameleon is installed to? If they're on different HDD's then it will take whichever one is the primary.

Hi,

Thanks for this topic... saved me creating one!

I think what you need to do is insert the Kalyway (or whatever you are using) disk and boot with -s. Then type 'fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0' If it is on your primary hard drive and then type 'Flag 2' assuming that OS X is on the second partition. Then type 'write' and 'quit' and then 'reboot'.

Also I was wondering how I now remove the Windows bootloader safely, I tried with Easybcd but it cannot detect my bootload to delete it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks for this topic... saved me creating one!

I think what you need to do is insert the Kalyway (or whatever you are using) disk and boot with -s. Then type 'fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0' If it is on your primary hard drive and then type 'Flag 2' assuming that OS X is on the second partition. Then type 'write' and 'quit' and then 'reboot'.

Also I was wondering how I now remove the Windows bootloader safely, I tried with Easybcd but it cannot detect my bootload to delete it.

Thanks!

Sounds like what you need to do is set the Windows partition as active for EasyBCD to detect it properly. Not sure of the terminal commands to do this, but you can do it graphically using something like GPart (I use the Parted Magic bootdisc to do this).

• 3 months later...

Hi.

I am using Chameleon v2 too and I am trying to get the start-up screen to show both the Mac and Windows options.

At present it only shows Mac and I have something like 5 seconds to press a key to show the other option (Windows).

Mac is on Drive 1 and Windows on Drive 2 (two physical drives). Chameleon is on the Mac drive.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>None</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

I am not sure what commands to change in com.apple.Boot.plist but I assume the 5 after the Timeout line is the length of time the menu stays on unless I press a key.

This is my first experience of dual booting and I would be grateful if someone more knowledgeable than me could offer their advice.

Also is my first Hackintosh build:

Retail 10.5.6 Combo Updated to 10.5.7 using WeakSauce method.

Intel E8500 clocked to 3.8Ghz with Arctic Pro 7 Cooler.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR

4GB Kingston DDR2 1067Mhz

Zotac GTS250 512MB

WD 500GB & 160GB

OCZ 600W PSU

Thanks in advance.

So you don't want an auto-boot and would like to get the selection screen right away?

Put these lines in:

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Does anyone know how to hide the non-bootable Windows 7 partition (Windows NTFS, you can only boot into System Reserved)? And maybe change the labels?

I am also interested in this discussion. I just put OSX on one hard drive, and Win7 on the other. I want Win7 to auto load. Is there a step by step prcedure to make that happen? Im new to OSX and multiboot.

I am also interested in changing the labels for my win7 from System Reserved.

So you don't want an auto-boot and would like to get the selection screen right away?

Put these lines in:

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Does anyone know how to hide the non-bootable Windows 7 partition (Windows NTFS, you can only boot into System Reserved)? And maybe change the labels?

• 2 months later...

I mounted the ntfs drives with paragon in snow leopard and renamed them.

Put these lines in:

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

• 2 months later...

Right, this is really annoying me now.

So I installed iATKOS v7 on my Acer Aspire 2930 recently.

I already had Windows Vista installed on hd(0,2)

hd(0,1) is occupied by system restore.

hd(0,3) is occupied by OSX86 iATKOS v7

I flagged the vista partition as 'boot' using GParted on a Live CD I had lying round.

I then ran EasyBCD and added OSX (Generic x86 PC)

So when I select vista in the bootloader, it runs as it should. When I select OSX, it loads up the chameleon v1 bootloader. Now just to clarify, there is no 'EFI' partition. OSX is all on the one partition. By default, chameleon tries to boot vista - hd(0,2). I edited the com.apple.Boot.plist file in L/P/SC/ and set the default partition to hd(0,3) to no avail. It seems to be defaulting to Vista anyway. Of course, if I allow it to boot, it just resets for some reason, and showing the os list, reveals that the selected os is ACER (the vista partition). I've tried making the OSX partition active, I then get a boot1: error. I re-activate ACER's partition and it's back to normal. Why won't the boot file do what it's told? I've used diskutil list and OSX is definitely hd(0,3) and I definitely didn't set up a bootloader partition. It's definitely using that boot file, because enabling quiet boot works (obviously, resetting the pc due to the acer partition being selected- which I used F8 to get back to OSX). I have to physically go down to hd(0,3) OSX Leopard each time, having already selected it in the windows bootloader. It's not that difficult to do, but it's undesirable; I want it to quiet boot into mac in the chameleon bootloader and it just won't let me make the mac partition the default.

What could be the problem?

- Could it be that I'm editing plists using mac's default texteditor?

- Also, why can't I post a new topic in the After Install Leopard 10.5 sub-forum??

EDIT: Btw, I've tried the Kernel Flags, rd=disk0s3 bit in the plist file and it does nothing.

Here's my com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=disk0s3</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Quiet Boot</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<string>hd(0,3)</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Is there maybe a way I can remove the Acer Restore and ACER (Vista) entries from the bootloader?