ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS hackintosh guide

108 posts in this topic

Hello. This is japogiii, and this is my first post here.

This is my guide into getting a PERFECT HACKINTOSH working on an ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS motherboard. (G31+ICH7 chipset)

PERFECT HACKINTOSH means that everything works, including USB, sound, video with QE/CI enabled, sleep, restart, and shutdown.

I have spent almost three days without sleep trying to get this thing to work, and the final result is that it works just as Steve Jobs would have intended.

Here are the important parts which I used for this computer:

Processor: Pentium Dual Core e5200 (2 cores @ 2.5 ghz each)

Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS

Hard Drive: 80 GB Samsung (IDE)

500 GB Seagate (SATA)

DVD Drive: LG Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter 22x (SATA)

RAM: 2 GB Kingston Value Ram 800mhz DDR2

Graphics Card: Sparkle 9600GT 512mb PCI-E

Install method is through iDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6)

BIOS Settings

Here are the BIOS settings I used for the P5KPL-AM/PS motherboard. BIOS settings are important to get full sleep, shutdown and restart working.

Primary IDE Master: 80 GB Samsung

SATA: 500 GB Seagate

SATA2: LG DVD

ATA/IDE Config: Enhanced

Enhanced Mode Support On: S-ATA

Onboard PCIE GbE LAN: Disabled

(I disabled the onboard LAN because I use a Netgear Wireless USB anyway.)

Plug and Play O/S: Yes

Suspend Mode: S3 Only

ACPI 2.0 Support: Enabled

Restore on AC Power Loss: Power Off

Boot Device Priority

1st: HDD Samsung

2nd: DVD LG

Partitioning the Drive and Dualbooting with XP

Refer to this guide

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...DualBoot_10.5.2

BUT INSTEAD of Kalyway 10.5.2,

substitute it with iDeneb v1.4.

You know where to find it. ;)

Customize the installation, and check these boxes for this particular setup:

ICHX support (because this P5KPL-AM/PS is a G31/ICH7 chipset)

nvDarwin 512 mb (for the 9600GT videocard)

I didn't check anything for sound, because this is going to be patched later on.

Install. Then it will reboot. Follow the rest of the instructions on

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...DualBoot_10.5.2

for bootloading.

If you did everything correctly, boot into the OS X partition and you should see the welcome video. (Nice, eh. QE/CI enabled already) but no sound.

Get the sound drivers here, and install:

http://www.kexts.com/index.php?controller=...ext=5&kid=7

Last, go to system preferences -> energy saver.

Under options, check "Allow power button to sleep the computer."

Also check "Restart automatically after a power failure."

And there you go. A fully working, 10.5.6 OS X Leopard on your HACKINTOSH.

Enjoy. :)

Please comment if you encounter any problems, or if this guide has helped you in any way.

japogiii.

• Like 1

that's awesome! i posted the day before about exact the same board and if it would be good for osx. seems like i don't have to worry about that any longer (but i will stick with the onboard gfx chip and get no stand alone gfx card i think, onboard gfx is Intel GMA 3100 shared)

and...this will also work with a sataII-hdd instead of ide-hdd, right?

thanks for the great guide!

yup, the setup's pretty stable; it'll also work. :)

Great to see every thing works with the Asus P5KPL-AM board. I have the Asus p5ql se mobo. Everything worked fine, with iDeneb v1.4(10.5.6) except audio.

OSX can work good with Asus mobo

here a simailar model:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1127225

with this model audio worked with the mentioned audio drivers above(ALC662)

Asus P5QL SE

OS installed on a Maxtor ide 200GB

2nd Sata 1GB samsung with Windows 7

Nvidia 9500GT with QE enabled works great!

internal LAN workes (RTL8111C) OOB

4GB Ram memory

audio (ALC662 and also tried LAC1200 andc ALC882/883) not working

Thank you very very much for this tut...

i'm having some problems with my video card (inno3D 8400GS 256 MB) and now with LAN; i hope to solve them with this. I'll tell you!!

Best Regards

Agustin

Wich Patches & kernel are you using? would you post what you cchoosed when customizing installation?

best regards

Japogiii... I installed following your tut, installed the KEXT, but still no audio... any ideas?

BTW: The recomended KEXT for audio it's for ALC662 and P5KPL-AM has VT1708B CODEC/chipset

same here also no audio with the Azalia driver for

mobo p5kpl (asus)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is my first post at this great community, sorry for my bad english, but I can rest assured that you will understand.

For those who have a hard times on enabling the Asus P5KPL-AM Azalia onboard soundcard to be fully working with Hackintosh 10.5.6, grab this driver (only 70kb):

http://rapidshare.com/files/224146398/Azal...io.pkg.zip.html

BTW, here are the specs which I use for Hackintosh (now all hardware is fully working like a charm):

- Intel Dual-Core E5200 (2.5 Ghz)

- Kingston ValueDDR 2GB RAM 667Mhz run at Single-Channel mode

- ASUS P5KPL-AM

(Onboard VGA Intel GMA3100 is DISABLED, never past the boot screen when this thing is enabled, I could get to past the bootscreen and run the installation after adding the external PCI-e VGA card)

- WD 160GB SATA-II

- nVidia GeForce 7300GT 256MB

(Using NVdarwin 256MB driver from installer, I don`t know it is fully working with QE/CI or not, but I have tested it supports all resolution and have no problem playing DVD movie, the Leopard animation and effects plays very smoothly too).

- ASUS E-616A2 IDE DVD-ROM

I hope every users of Asus P5KPL-AM will find this post useful.

I also want to say big thanks to japoogii for this comprehensive guide, your guide is really helped me a lot when I struggling installing the iDeneb 10.5.6 over the Asus P5KPL-AM, without this I maybe will never completed the installations.

*edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have dual-booting this machine with Win XP SP3. Everything works perfectly now.... :hysterical:

Well, this is my first post at this great community, sorry for my bad english, but I can rest assured that you will understand.

For those who have a hard times on enabling the Asus P5KPL-AM Azalia onboard soundcard to be fully working with Hackintosh 10.5.6, grab this driver (only 70kb):

http://rapidshare.com/files/224146398/Azal...io.pkg.zip.html

BTW, here are the specs which I use for Hackintosh (now all hardware is fully working like a charm):

- Intel Dual-Core E5200 (2.5 Ghz)

- Kingston ValueDDR 2GB RAM 667Mhz run at Single-Channel mode

- ASUS P5KPL-AM

(Onboard VGA Intel GMA3100 is DISABLED, never past the boot screen when this thing is enabled, I could get to past the bootscreen and run the installation after adding the external PCI-e VGA card)

- WD 160GB SATA-II

- nVidia GeForce 7300GT 256MB

(Using NVdarwin 256MB driver from installer, I don`t know it is fully working with QE/CI or not, but I have tested it supports all resolution and have no problem playing DVD movie, the Leopard animation and effects plays very smoothly too).

- ASUS E-616A2 IDE DVD-ROM

I hope every users of Asus P5KPL-AM will find this post useful.

I also want to say big thanks to japoogii for this comprehensive guide, your guide is really helped me a lot when I struggling installing the iDeneb 10.5.6 over the Asus P5KPL-AM, without this I maybe will never completed the installations.

*edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have dual-booting this machine with Win XP SP3. Everything works perfectly now.... :(

Thank you for this solution. It worked for sound output (but neither sound input or front panel are working).

Also still struggling with the LAN: It recognizes the device, but it doesn't get any IP

Suggestions?

For the Nvidia 9400GT users: I used IDeneb 1.4 and NVInject, and finnally solved the black screen problem.

P.S. I Love this Hackintosh thing - it's already my second

@gonvelho

I`m glad that I could give something back useful for this community ;)

As for Ethernet problems, yep the Hackinstosh already recognized it with the driver downloaded from the link above, but I haven`t tested it yet, because I don`t have any DSL modem. I used the ZTE 3G/HSDPA USB Modem and it works perfectly. Maybe tomorrow I will bring my Hackintosh PC to my brother home, he used to connect to internet with ADSL connections. I will post the results soon.

This looks great!! I purchased these parts today before I knew they were good for a hackintosh. I already have a great case with brushed aluminum highlights sitting around and after reading this it means it was all meant to be ( A Hackintosh)...

Will begin my work in the lab tonight to bring this together........mwhahahah!!!

I'll report back with success and failures....(not that it looks there are many)....

Thank you for this solution. It worked for sound output (but neither sound input or front panel are working).

Also still struggling with the LAN: It recognizes the device, but it doesn't get any IP

Suggestions?

For the Nvidia 9400GT users: I used IDeneb 1.4 and NVInject, and finnally solved the black screen problem.

P.S. I Love this Hackintosh thing - it's already my second

hola, i´ve been using this mobo for 3 months, and it works OOB with the IPC.

About the LAN on board, you can use de OSX86 Tools to download the correct driver. Actually, I use the on board LAn and a Realtek pci too.

bye

ciao vorei chiederti che driver dovrei selezionare se mettessi al posto di una nvidia 9600gt una nvidia 9400gt??

grazie

ciao, debi mettere Nviject dal iDeneb 1.4

buona fortuna

I'm buying these parts on the next days to follow your helpful guide:

C2Quad Q8200

P5kPL-AM

4gb (2x2gb 800MHz Kingston)

sata hd and dvdrw

500w PSU

xfx 9800gt 1gb

let's hope it works... if you notice anything work, please, post here. thank you very much and thanks a lot, japoogiii

Well....

I had to re-install 3 times...but that was my own fault I think.

So far so good. I was going to use my Ralink RT2500 USB for wireless to begin with, but it managed to cause a panic when inserted into the rear USB ports, so I plugged in my D-Link DWA-547 A/B/G/N card....Worked out of the box as Airport card, awesome. I also connected the lan to my ethernet cable, got an I.P instantly and was off and running it too worked out of the box.

Only problem so far is shutdown. Fans keep going until I press the power button. Sleep doesnt resume!!.....

I am on Vanilla kernel, I selected no kernel from the boxes and I only selected NVinject for the 9500GT (The 512mb kext on it's own left me with 1280x800 res and nothing else but blue screens ( I re-installed and just checked NVinject, by default it selects all memory sizes) along with Networking (RT2500 USB) and iDeneb apps.

Everything is working quite well other than those few hickups...

My setup is nearly identical to the first post. I'm using an 80GB Samsung as well for now (IDE) as I will shovel a 500GB drive in here soon (sata) and go from there using a time machine backup of this setup next time around

I had trouble with the resolution initially. My LCD is only 17" (Viewsonic/Black) and it's max res is 1440x900 If I selected the full resolution the screen would go blue and stay there!! I had to reset the machine and it would go 1280x800 on reboot. After about 4 goes of selecting 1440x900 it stuck. I rebooted and it displayed properly!!! Bizarre.

As I mentioned I'm running a 9500GT 512mb card. With the NVdarwin kexts I got the boot screen and then the display went to "no signal".......blank. The hard drive continued to whirl and then nothing......so I tried -x and still nothing. Tried booting 800x600 and nothing happened either (re-install)

Anyway, it works well for now. I would like sleep to work, and proper shutdown. If anyone can explain my USB issue with the Ralink Wireless dongle I'd appreciate it, I'm hoping this doesn't happen to other devices I need to use in the future (kernel panic, must check the logs)

I'm using a logitech wireless keyboard and G5 mouse and both work on USB fine......no issues with those devices.

EDIT:...Full Shutdown now works. No fans...

*Have OC'ed my E5200 to 3.01Ghz, stable and fast.....V-Happy with this Hack rig.

Sed8ed, how did you get shutdown to fully work?

Please post your method to help others encountering the same problem. Thanks

BTW GUYS:

This guide is for P5PL-AM/PS, which is this one:L-ASM-P5KPL-AMPS.jpg

This is a different board from P5KPL-AM, which is this one.

ASUS%20P5KPL-AM.jpg

Please hekp!

I can´t get the audio onboard to be fully working (i mean only get output sound, no input, no front panel)

I downloaded the Azalia driver recommended by MAkabre, I read all this post, but what I get is just output in rear panel.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Does anyone who could help me?

thanks in advance

Okay......

Let me begin...First of all, I didn't actually fix it. What I am encountering is that 3 out of 5 shutdowns work!! Others hang and the lights are on but nobody is home. I got a few shutdowns in a row and thought the repair permissions must have fixed it (the magical fix for all things hackintosh)...

I'm not sure whats causing the machine to hang on those other shutdowns....but if we can narrow it down, that will be the answer. I have repaired permissions a few times and I do believe something has occurred here!!

For the record I also only get sound from the output and there is nothing listed for input....I dont need it anyhow as I have a USB audio dongle for Input from a Hackintosh laptop......And normally sound output is the most important thing from me on a hackintosh...especially on laptops.

The only other issue is sleep.....I'm in the process of making a clone of the drive and am going to experiment, the backup is so that I always have a working install to start from....

If everyone gets onboard we can solve the last issues and then leave it as is to enjoy...update the first post as a guide and be happy...

Can we please stick to the mainboard thats listed in the first post...look at japogiii post above for the reference to the mainboard in question, dont want the thread getting clogged with different board numbers.

I'll report back when I have a little success.....

Edited* 26th/04/09 5.27pm AEST..

Well....looks like Pystar shutdown method works on my spare drive. I haven't cloned the data over just yet as I thought I'd try a few more install options. So far five successful shutdowns with this option. I checked the Power/shutdown option at install.....looks like it may work. I may also do an Install with the EHCI USB Sleep installed as well and see if I get sleep with a proper resume. I have noticed some dodgy things with USB and I think it's the cause of the sleep problems....

I'll do some more testing....

stuff here's working, the azalia driver from the link here, vlc and an old compaq keyboard, just gotta fix it to abnt2, the brazilian standart of keyboard which has Ç on it. but so far, so good. XFX9800GT512mb 256bit works really nice with NVinject

thx japogiii and all others! a mac pro in brazil costs 5k US$ and i've paid less than 950US$ on mine (:

I'll keep posting here with updates, I'll be using FCP Studio 2 and Adobe CS4 Suite, lets cross our finger for them to work here hehehe.

LM

Asus P5kPL-AM (made in brazil) / C2Q Q8200 / 4GB 2x2DDR2-800 Kingston / XFX9800GT512mb256bit / Asus DVD-RW Sata 20x / Maxtor 500gb SATA2 / CoolerMaster 500w psu