[UPDATED] Chameleon 2.0RC2 is out! With Official Installer

Onixs

447 posts in this topic

UPDATED: July 26,2009

Chameleon 2.0RC2 Build r640 is out!

In this new release of Chameleon 2 they have fixed many annoying bugs and also added some cool new features like NVIDIA graphics card detection, automatic RAID booting, enabling HPET on motherboards without BIOS control, setting the built-in flag for ethernet cards, hiding non-bootable HFS partitions.

Chameleon_2.0_RC2_r640.pkg.zip

Chameleon 2.0RC1 is out! NEW Build r431

Right before 1st of April, Chameleon Team gladly introducing the Release Candidate 1 version of Chameleon 2.0 for public download. Now supporting GUI booting, and all other features mentioned in the previous articles.

Credits

Thanks to bumby, cosmo1t, Dense, dfe, fassl, Galaxy, iNDi, Kabyl, kaitek, kalyway, mackerintel, netkas, sckevyn, Turbo, XyZ.

UPDATE:

Official Installer Package NOW available.

For additional help, log-in to irc.voodooprojects.org channel #chameleon

Well done Team,

Just added it to INSTAHackintosh and doing some tests.

Looking Good...

It's just RC1, so you don't want to add it, you want to final version. Of course, you can test.

Looking very good!!!

great patch bundled into a nice bootloader

only thing that doen't work for me(i'm a noob) is booting on my old XP but it works for vista.

just for testing.

Thanks to Chameleon team for sharing this.

I made an 2.0RC1 installer app out of an older chameleon installer.

So you must not do terminal commands or knowing your disk/part numbers.

Select your HD/partition by the installer.

For me it worked on MBR HD.

Also worked to boot XP from an different (other) HD.

For EFI EXTRA (boot132) install you must do some more (terminal) work.

Read the readme of orig. chameleon installer or hints below here.

Chameleon_V_2RC1.zip

I made an installer app out of an older chameleon installer.

While you're thanked for doing this, we're not going to support it, so I hope people don't come to us asking for support when using this installer. And the reason for this, is because you don't know the new options and specifics of the booter to be able to make a proper installer.

We have an installer in the works (with few bugs left).

Thanks for understanding.

I made an installer app out of an older chameleon installer.

Hi mate,

I have Leopard Retail on my machine (installed on a dedicated GUI hard disk), with Chameleon DFE for HDD (that uses an EXTRA folder for the patched kexts). Can I use you installer to try the new version of Chameleon ? Where do I need to put my patched kexts (that I now have in the EXTRA folder) with this new Chameleon version ?

Thanks

While you're thanked for doing this, we're not going to support it, so I hope people don't come to us asking for support when using this installer. And the reason for this, is because you don't know the new options and specifics of the booter to be able to make a proper installer.

We have an installer in the works (with few bugs left).

Thanks for understanding.

well, bring it on then. can´t wait for that :)

can you PLEASE (!) tell me if it´ll be possible just install the new bootloader over the previous chameleon version without modifying anything else?

i would highly appreciate that as i don´t want to get my machine screwed up (mbr non-raid, dualboot - 1st partition winxp, 2nd partition iatkos 5i with patched dsdt and /extra folder on root).

bye

Worked for me on the first machine listed in the signature, later I will test on others, all with Retail Leo.

One question, I understood that some extra kexts now can be removed?

smbios injector? (smbiosenabler or applesmbiosefi..etc)

decripter? (AppleDecrypt...etc)

PowerManagement disabler?

Congratulations to the whole team for the great work!

Thanks to the Chameleon team. It works for me with Munky´s install method (boot from EFI Volume). Here is what I have done

1. open Terminal

2. (Determine your install harddisk with)

diskutil list

3. sudo -s

(Enter password)

4. mkdir /Volumes/EFI

5. mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

(Do not forget to change _X with your harddisk number from step 2)

6. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra

6. (Download new Chameleon and put folder on your desktop)

7. (open the chameleon folder and cd to the subfolder i386 in Terminal- just type cd and Space and drag the i386 folder into Terminal)

8. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

(do not forget to change X with your harddisk number from step 2)

9. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1

(do not forget to change X with your harddisk number from step 2)

10. sudo cp boot /Volumes/EFI

11. (cd to the Extra Folder in your new Chameleon Folder (on your desktop) in Terminal)

12. cp smbios.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra

13. cp -R Themes /Volumes/EFI/Extra

14. cd Volumes/EFI

15. cp DSDT.aml /Volumes/EFI/Extra

16. cp com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra

17. cd Volumes/EFI/System/booter

18*. cp Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra

19. umount -f Volumes/EFI

20. rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

*Note before Step 18. If you have AppleSMBIOS or similar kext in your Extensions folder on your EFI Volume and you want to load smbios.plist - remove this kext form your Extensions folder and rebuild Extensions.mkext before copying this file to the Extra folder.

cd /Volumes/EFI/Extensions

rm-R AppleSMBIOS.kext

cd ..

sudo ./update.sh

The only issue with my install is, that i cannot boot WinXP from separate MBR partitioned disk. Windows7 is booting from the same disk. I have Easybcd 2.0 installed on that disk. Selecting WinXP Partition gives me immediate reboot.

Yeah, I am also unable to boot a Windows XP install on a separate hard disk.

Can we remove dsmos.kext now? I'm going to test that out when I get back home. This is probably the most exciting development in OSX86 since the first PC-EFI last year!

Hi, i have success with F8 , new 2.0 Bootscreen and selecting an XP (NTFS) Partition for booting. Worked !

Be sure that you select right partition for the install of chameleon. My HD has 3 Partiitions, 1. XP,2 +3 OS X. I installed chameleon on 2. partition (OS X) NOT! the first XP.

System boots more quickly.

SMBIOS patching work perfectly. Now I finally got rid of SMBIOS enablers.

GUI is beautiful. I changed my theme right away.

I just wish I could move from the bootloader screen to OS X without the screen going black (to change resolution).

Looks like I can't wake up with my sleepimage after hibernation. Any ideas?

Same here... and im using DSDT.aml on Extra folder at EFI partition, and at the root of main partition

thanks for everyone who worked on this...... you all made an amazing job with chameleon!

Thanks a lot to the whole Chameleon team for the hard work. It works great on my DP35DP motherboard with SATA hard disk.

I have created a convenient shell script to install the Chameleon 2.0-RC1 boot loader to your EFI boot partition.

It may prove useful if you have followed this tutorial by Munky to setup your EFI partition as the boot volume.

Note that the script is provided for instructional purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Do NOT ask the Chameleon team for help with this script.