FrontRow plugin: sleep, restart, shutdown

17 posts in this topic

I made a Front Row plugin to allow me to sleep, restart or shutdown my computer from within Front Row. It adds a System menu at the bottom with these three options. Code is heavily based on the tutorials from AwkwardTV. Icons are taken from InterfaceLIFT.

Package installs SystemAppliance.frappliance to /System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/.

Hope it's useful.

SystemAppliance.pkg.zip

• 5 weeks later...

This was hugely useful as I watch things on my mac before I go to sleep and wanted to be able to disable the monitor for darkness when things end. Thanks!

I made a Front Row plugin to allow me to sleep, restart or shutdown my computer from within Front Row. It adds a System menu at the bottom with these three options. Code is heavily based on the tutorials from AwkwardTV. Icons are taken from InterfaceLIFT.

Package installs SystemAppliance.frappliance to /System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/.

Hope it's useful.

• 2 months later...

What I was looking for is something to make the monitor sleep and not the computer, is there anyway that this can be added? If you downloading, one thing you don't want to do is make the computer sleep, nights are best for downloading. On the iMac the commands for Monitor sleep is "ctrl, shift, eject" button, be real nice if this command was added to the sleep, restart, shutdown area, maybe having it called like "monitor sleep" or something like that.

P.S. does someone know what front row sometimes tries to make the monitor sleep while im watching a movie on it. If I have monitor sleep to 10 min, it will try to sleep every 10 min. It's very annoying. The happenings are a 1/10 ratio.

• 1 month later...
P.S. does someone know what front row sometimes tries to make the monitor sleep while im watching a movie on it. If I have monitor sleep to 10 min, it will try to sleep every 10 min. It's very annoying. The happenings are a 1/10 ratio.

Try downloading Caffeine. It's free and will keep your Mac from going to sleep while you are watching a movie.

EDIT: Just downloaded your plugin and it works great! Thanks a ton. Now I just need an Apple remote to make it more useful lol.

After installation, the plugin is well located within the contents of frontrow app/plugins but the sleep,restart shutdown buttons do not appear. I notice that since last update (10.5.8) the sapphire plugin do not run anymore and I had to desinstall this plugin (i.e. sapphire) as it prevents frontrow from running.

Please note that I've got skype and EyeTV plugins installed and that I use DVA assist on a G5 PowerPC

Have U any idea to make the shutdown button appear.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks!

I just received my remote controller today and this is way better then to walk to your Mac in the middle of the night just to give it a shutdown (because you fell asleep during that boring movie).

Great work.

• 1 month later...

Hope it's useful.

Brilliant. Been looking for something like this for months - all the similar plugins I've tried fail on Snow Leopard. This works perfectly. Great job. Thanks for sharing it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...