[GUIDE] (10.5.x) Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Retail Tutorial

CaptainNemo

225 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

this is my guide for the installation of Leopard (Retail DVD) on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 based PC.

TQB (http://thequantumbyte.com) did a great job collecting all the information and making a fancy PDF file from it. Great if this site is offline, your internet access won't work or so :)

Feel free to download it here: HERE

What you need:

- A PC which uses the mainboard "Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3". This tutorial is for DS3 and not for DS3L, DS3R or DS4.

- Your (of course) bought DVD (DL) of Apple's Leopard. This tutorial works with all Leopard Retail DVDs.

- A blank CD for the Boot CD

- An USB stick with 50MB of free Space or a second computer to share the files or another blank CD

- A computer to burn an ISO

Be careful!

I've upgraded my machine to an Intel Core 2 Quad (Q9650) which is supported by the BIOS 14C, as the Gigabyte site says. So - I've installed the BIOS update from windows, not knowing that the BIOS is still a bloody BETA! It results in having a lot lot trouble with booting and a very unstable system. Using the 12F (most recent stable BIOS) let you ALSO use the Q9650. It works fine for my, but I can't say which things are not working. Cinebench uses all cores pretty nice and at a very nice speed, but the prompt shows up a simply "333x9" except "Inter Core 2 Quad Q9650" (post from 14C).

Benefits of the RETAIL version against previously versions (like iAtkos, iDeneb, Kalyway, JaS etc):

- Full ability for Software Updates

- Native OS X installation - nothing modified (legal in many countries! (if you use an original DVD))

- Stable system

Does it replace EFI-X?

YES! Boot 132 method which is used here, fully replaces the previously best kind of OS X installation with the expensive EFI-X USB adaptor. It's no longed needed if you use this kind of installation :)

Do I have to reinstall the drivers, when I run a System Update (for example the upcoming 10.5.7)?

Yes - possibly. It depends if the update kills your kurrent kext-files or not. But thanks to PCWiz' tool, it's done within a few seconds :(

post-92077-1238925371_thumb.png

Screenshot of my About window ;)

Getting started

STEP 1 / Getting the needed files

Download the P35-Retail.zip from Rapidshare and unzip it. Burn the containing p35.iso to a blank CD. Be sure to have a copy of the other files on an USB stick or share it via network or burn it on another blank CD.

Done? Great.

STEP 2 / Preconfiguration of your PC

In my last tutorial I showed, that there's a complicated issue with the GA-SATA (purple) SATA sockets on your board in combination with Mac OS X. Because of this, I use my Hackintosh ONLY with the 4 yellow/orange ICH9 SATA sockets. Please be sure to connect your SATA-DVD-Drive to the yellow/orange sockets as well as at least one HDD. While installing and doing pictures you see below, I had 2x 250GB SATA HDDs inside my PC.

STEP 3 / BIOS Settings

Be sure that the Intel Controller is set to AHCI. You could possibly also use IDE / Disabled, but AHCI speeds up your system extremely.

A photo of the needed seetings

post-92077-1237154910_thumb.jpg

Also, please be sure that you set your BIOS to boot from CD/DVD first!

STEP 4 / Booting the Installation

Insert the P35 CD that you've written to CD before and boot from it. You will see the ISOLINUX Loader which looks like:

post-92077-1237155163_thumb.jpg

When everything is loaded into your PCs memory, it's time to remove the P35 CD and insert your original Apple Leopard Retail DVD into your drive. You should see the word "BOOT", when the DVD is recognized by the drive, press Enter (Return).

post-92077-1237155287_thumb.jpg

Simply press Enter (Return) again. The hexadecimal code should be the correct one.

If you see this message, press Enter (Return) again :)

post-92077-1237155370_thumb.jpg

Great. The next thing you'll see for the next minutes (2 or 3, depending on your drives speed) will be the Apple logo on a grey screen.

post-92077-1237155488_thumb.jpg

STEP 5 / Inside the installation, harddisc configuration

When everything goes right, you should be able to select your language now.

post-92077-1237155594_thumb.jpg

Select your preferred language and hit the arrow button on the bottom right to move into the installation.

Next, select "Disc utility" from the menu below the entry "Utilities". This step is needed to configure your harddisc.

post-92077-1237155672_thumb.jpg

WARNING! Following the next steps will DELETE ALL YOUR DATA from the harddisc you've built it! Be sure you've made backups of the stuff you need!

post-92077-1237155804_thumb.jpg

Select your disk from the menu on the left and click on the free space below the dropdown menu. Now, click on dropdown menu and select "1 Partition".

post-92077-1237155863_thumb.jpg

Now, click on Options and be sure to select the GUID Partition table!

post-92077-1237155971_thumb.jpg

Click on "Ok" to return. Next, click on "Apply" to format your disk.

post-92077-1237156060_thumb.jpg

If this message appears, click on "Partition".

Congratulations, you've formatted your disc to HFS+ and it's now ready for Leopard :)

Close the disc utility to move on.

STEP 6 / Copying the files over to your harddisc

Of course we accept the Terms of use ;)

post-92077-1237156194_thumb.jpg

Select your harddisc and click the icon, then click "Continue" to move on.

post-92077-1237156263_thumb.jpg

You can "Customize" your installation, I regularry kick out the other languages and the printer drives, but it's on you. No need to change anything ;)

post-92077-1237156392_thumb.jpg

When the installation begins, the DVD will be checked, I'll always skip this...

post-92077-1237156387_thumb.jpg

Now, it will take a while until the stuff is copied to your harddisc.

post-92077-1237156397_thumb.jpg

Everything went successfully? Great! :) You can now wait 30 seconds or click the "Restart" button.

post-92077-1237156402_thumb.jpg

IMPORTANT! It's possible that your PC will NOT reboot now and the installer will show up a screen with a spinning circle on the bottom. Wait 1 minute and if it won't restart on it's own, give it a gentle hardreset.

STEP 7 / First Boot

Wow! The most critical stuff is done :) Time to move on. Be sure to insert the P35 CD into the drive (and remove the Retail DVD ;) ) before we move on. Currently, the harddisc is not able to boot the system, but we will change this now.

Boot from the CD as before. When you see the BOOT prompt, press Enter (Return) and type "80" if it's your primary disc or "81" if it's your secondary disc where you've Leopard installed on (normally it should be 80). Hit Enter (Return) and boot the OSX.

post-92077-1237156861_thumb.jpg

Booting the OS will take a few seconds and you'll see the Apple Logo again.

post-92077-1237155488_thumb.jpg

When the OS is ready to start it will show the Mac OS X Leopard Intro video (it's ok if it's stops for a little time like 1 second when the Apple appears).

post-92077-1237156973_thumb.jpg

post-92077-1237156980_thumb.jpg

There's no chance to interrupt this movie, except you boot into the Single User mode and set the configuration as done, but that don't make sense, so enjoy your first video on your new Hackintosh!

Go on and fill out the stuff but keep in mind, that the network connection will send some data over to Apple when it's already plugged in!

post-92077-1237157073_thumb.jpg

STEP 8 / Make the OS bootable from harddisc

The very next step it to make the system bootable from harddisc. For this, insert the USB stick or the medium you've stored the ZIP file content, that you've downloaded before you begun.

Move all the files to your desktop. Now, open the Chameleon folder.

post-92077-1237157306.png

Doubleclick the Chameleon DMG file. Place the folder "Extensions" inside the folder "Extra" next to the Chameleon mount and drag the "Extensions" folder into the "Extra" folder on the Chameleon mount.

post-92077-1237157354_thumb.png

Now, doubleclick the Chameleon PKG file and install it to your harddisc.

Successful? Great! Remove the P35 CD from your drive and give the system a reboot (it will at 90% hung up, because we haven't installed the fix yet, so hold on one minute and then restart it with the Reset button in your case).

STEP 9 / Boot into your OS

When you've successfully rebooted, you will be driven into the same loader you've seen using the P35 CD. Simpy press 2x Enter (Return) to boot your harddisc. The load time should be a bit faster than before.

STEP 10 / nvkush & GA-P35-DS3x-Tools

When you've booted into your OS, you should now install the nvkush drivers. Possibly, you've had the same strange effects like I had when moving windows. So, open the nvkush.pkg from your downloaded tools and install them. Maybe you should give the system another reboot as shown above.

Booted back to your OSX, you should use the great driver package from PCWiz! I love this tool!

But before this, you should put in your Leopard DVD again. We need to install the CHUD.pkg which is needed by GA-P35-DS3x-Tools.

post-92077-1237157919_thumb.png

Doubleclick "Optional installs" and next "Xcode Tools" "Packages". Doubleclick CHUD.pkg to install it.

Done? Cool.

Now, go back to the GA-P35-DS3x-Tools and launch it and type your password. On the drives tab, click every single "Install" button to install the main drives. The version of the GA-P35-DS3 Rev1 mainboard's audio is 889A!

Click on "Fixes" to install various fixes to make your system very smooth. I've selected everyone except the 10.5.4 Kernels. We've a robust system here which is able to run the system updates without having to fix anything, so I decided not to use them.

post-92077-1237158088_thumb.png

Simply close the tool and reboot your PC again. (Even if the fix is installed now, you'll have to reset the machine by hand a last time.)

STEP 11 / Updates

As mentioned before, your Hackintosh is able to use the Apple system updates without harming your system in any kind! So, run the Software Update as often as you want and install everything you like to :D

post-92077-1237158335_thumb.png

STEP 12 / Harddisc Icon Replacement

Leopard don't really like the way ICH9 adds the drives to your system, so they are shown up as external and with this lousy orange icon. Well - no problem, simply replace the icon with the original harddisc icon.

To do this, select the icon (harddisc) from the ZIP file and press CMD+I, click the little icon on top left and press CMD+C when it's surrounded by a little blue stroke.

Now, select the harddisc on your desktop, press CMD+I again, mark the icon on the top left and press CMD+V. That's it! Replaced icon!

post-92077-1237158647_thumb.png

post-92077-1237158857_thumb.png

STEP 13 / Boot the OS after x seconds

This step is the last one for a very nice Hackintosh and needs the first work in the terminal in this tutorial, but don't be scared - it's so quiet easy ;)

- Open the Terminal (launch Spotlight and type "terminal", press Enter).

- Type "sudo -s" and press Enter.

- Enter your password and press Enter.

- Type "cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration" and press Enter.

- Type "nano com.apple.Boot.plist" and press Enter.

- Scroll down with your cursor key to this position:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

Join the next line and paste (CMD+V also work in the Terminal):

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

- Press CTRL+S and CTRL-X.

That's it! Your Hackintosh now automatically boots after waiting 5 seconds for any emergency input on the Chameleon loader.

Update for 10.5.7 (May 13th 2009)

I've installed the 10.5.7 update on my ASUS hardware using the nearly same way of installation and it works fabolous. No reason to be afraid of installing. Simply remind:

- Keep your Backup/TimeMachine or whatever updates EVERY time!

- Don't forget to install the missing drivers after a system update as before*

*for example: The ICH10R driver for my ASUS board was kicked with 10.5.7, so I simply installed it again using Kext Helper and give it a restart - that's it. 10.5.7 runs fine ;)

Good luck!

Last words

Even if what you've done here works very well, think about buying a real Mac.

Feel free to post comments and/or additions to this tutorial.

Version 1.4 / Sunday, May 13th 2009

Ciao

Nemo

post-92077-1237159607_thumb.png

Great tutorial, I followed nearly the same steps to get my Abit IP35 Pro up and running. I didn't install the Chud.pkg, but I don't know yet if I need it...shutdown and reboot seems to work fine on my Quad core Q6600. My biggest problem was that I had to boot in safe mofe (-x) because my MSI HD 2600xt video card was turning the intial loadup into a big ugly mess of blocks and colors (before getting to the "choose language screen". Once loaded, I was able to install the proper driver.

Question: how can we boot directly into OSX without having to press enter 2x in the Darwin Bootloader?

Question: how can we boot directly into OSX without having to press enter 2x in the Darwin Bootloader?

Well, ddogg77, that's a question I'm asking myself. I googled a lot, but I was not able to find an information about which file I need to change/edit to create an autostart after for example 5 seconds :/ Maybe I'm blind.

If someone knows how to do this - I would really appreciate if this guy would share it with us :(

Ciao

Nemo

Ok, first of all. Nice instruction worked out great for me.

P35DS3 Rev.1

Q6600 at 3000MHz

8800 GTS 320

4GB RAM

all running from ext USB2 Harddrive.

Now, still there is a question. I upgraded straight to 10.5.6 from a Kalyway 10.5.2 install. In the Kalyway i did exclude all drivers, kernals and used ur guide (and File) to set the drivers for my Board.

In the System Information there is a Tab called "Processor" now and this shows me an Intel Xeon 51XX as Processor. Also I had a Kernal Panic when selecting Restart. Now after the second, third start everything work fine. Will the wrong CPU ID give me any problems ?

Or are there any Shutdown fixes for 10.5.6 that are different from ur file attached (P35DS3 Control Center)?

EDIT:

By the way: I do not to press a button in darwin boot loader, maybe because of the external drive. My other vista configured internal drives are just shown as read only, in OSX then. Only the selection of the boot drive is necessary, via F12 in BIOS

Hi schnitzelbrain (Wiener Schnitzel or Jägerschnitzel? :(),

you installed the Retail DVD over the Kalyway? I'm not sure how this work. I think I misunderstand you.

The entry in the system profiler is - interesting - never saw it. Maybe you talk about the System settings? The processor entry comes with the CHUD.pkg installation. Anyway - normally there should be no Kernel Panic. Have you switched off the GA-SATA in the BIOS (the one in the middle of the "Integrated peripherials". The jmicron-driver is the one that created all the kernel panic on my installations, back on the Kalyway installs in past as well as with the retail DVD.

However - if you did a System Update and installed - for example the 10.5.6 over an existing 10.5.5, you possibly have to reuse the P35-DS3x-Control Center - that's true. But this is an issue that we always had because the update kicks some kext's out. Thanks to the Control Center this is easily done and those updates - how often do they arrive? Every few months? :(

Ciao

Nemo

Edit: Hmm.. yeah I think it's possibly because of the external drive. Never tried that before honestly :)

Yes, u are correct. It was in the system settings

post-388698-1237241319_thumb.png

To clear my Install, I did a fresh Kalyway 10.5.2 install. Then used ur instructions to make it lets say full EFI. After that used the combo 10.5.6 update from Apple to upgrade. I did not used any retail DVD. Thats it.

Ok, to switch of the BIOS AHCI option gives me problems in my Vista Boot.

I do not get any kernel panics any more but the shutof or restart will hang, the PC will continue to run although OSX86 has already quit.

Before I tried this I had a perfect system with patched kernals, so I think I have to decide good power off or easy patching via apple. No big problem, the patching is better because i have bricked several installations while try to do upgrading :(

Ur method is def better.

By the way: prefer jägerschnitzel :(

Hi again,

well - if you use Kalyway, you should possibly follow my previous thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108450, which describes how to use Kalyway on the P35-DS3-Board. Anyway, I would highly recommend you to get a Leopard Retail DVD and use this kind of installation, it's so much more stable ;)

This tutorial is simply not written for a Kalyway based system.

Btw: Jägerschnitzel mit Pommes und ne eiskalte Cola bei 3°C dabei ;)

Hi,

thx for the reply. The previous thread was my first walk in the osx86 world. Worked perfect for me. But I am working on getting a full retail version.

The system is stable for now, even the shutdown works. Did several reboots maybe the system needs some time to set every driver in the correct way.

I thought the kalyway is just a stripped (languages, drivers etc but still the main part in it) install with an attached efi boot. As far as I used non of the patched drivers, I though i was good to go. Maybe I just have to learn more about the osx86 install, started just a week ago. ;)

schnitzel

Aber mit Pommes rot/weiss ;)

Hi all,

I just got a used Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 off ebay so the first step is complete. The next purchase I want to make is the graphics card. I'd like to go with nvidia and passive cooling. So I was wondering what is the best card to get that will work with this install process?

Also does sleep work fine? Are there any other issues that I should be made aware of with this hardware/software combo (apart from not all the sata and ide connections working)?

Cheers.

Hi braid,

I can't promise. I've used MBR back in the days when I used Kalyway and that was no problem. Chameleon SHOULD work with MBR, but as mentioned before, I haven't tried that. Maybe get in contact with the creator of Chameleon (he's somewhere here on the forum).

ok, I said that because I'm using chameleon with MBR (zeph 10.5.2 amd rev 2) but I'm moving on to intel. I think I will try your method and install it with MBR. Oh and by the way: this is the easiest way to do retail I've seen. I was looking for a method and all those boot132 was so confused for me. NICE WORK.

---

off topic question:

do you know if the ds3 rev 1.0 is a "dangerous" board? I heard about a BUG of "endless boot cycle.."

pardon my ignorance but what key stands for cmd key? is it it the control key? the reason why i ask is because i do not have a mac keyboard yet. The last part where it tells you how to change the icon is what is confusing me.

Thanks in advance

tessa

I don't get what it has to do with this tutorial honestly. (There are so much forums here to place this kind of question).

Anyway - I would get for a 7600GS as it works perfect and I hate noise - a reason why I would go for a fanless version of it.

I followed the tutorial and was glad with the results until I applied updates after the 10.5.6 update. These were Java Security update, some iTunes update, 2 Airport updates (which I disabled), and a security update. After these updates I can no longer start up Leopard. Crash reporter shows its saving a log into it's log folder, and it just keeps repeating that ever few seconds or so. I haven't looked into it further as it was late and I had to get to bed, but I was wondering if anyone else has had any issued with this method?

Also, before the updates, I was having difficulty accessing SAMBA shares. It would tell me something to the effect that it could not connect to the server and to check that the name or IP address was correct. I have another hard drive with JaS 10.5.4 upgraded to 10.5.5 installed and was able to browse my Windows domain just fine.

I was using an original retail (10.5) DVD and the included package from CaptainNemo.

When I get home from work I can post screenshots or give you guys more info as needed.

P.S. - This is not a slam on the author or a b*tching or anything. Most likely I'm forgetting something or there was just a glitch.

No worries, Macmeister,

well - it's maybe because the DS3R differs from the DS3. Not sure if the DS3R comes with an ICH9R or ICH10R. Anyway - it's different from the DS3 board and possibly this is the issue here.

Because of the SMB issues - that's strange. I didn't had any problems on my Hackintosh, but on the Kalyway Release. Try the linked fix/patch here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...;hl=smb+problem

Have you installed it from scratch or did you also installed it "over"?