AR5006 and 5007 working guide

jasballz

7 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. I have an Acer Aspire 4720z and using the guide from ergosteur:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...rt=#entry689371

and chuck nan's iopci family drivers (google him or he's on here),

I got my iATKOS 5i that I updated to Leo 10.5.6 to recognize my Atheros Airport AR5006eg 168c, 001c. Good news!!

My keyboard wasn't working in that boot though so I was unable to try Kismac to connect to any networks.

Then on reboot I got kernel panic!! Saying I had doubles of batterymanager and iopips2nub.kext.

So I'm working on it, slowly and surely, but I'm pretty positive that I will get it up and running and I will post a guide. If its not helpful or supplemental feel free to delete it. Post if this helped you!!

Chuck Nan's drivers are ESSENTIAL to a working atheros for all of you newbs!!

I also downloaded and installed the newest Airport Update for Intel 2009-01 I think, and the Mac OS X 10.5.6 update.

I'm sure that if I can get a boot where the keyboard works and I can get into kismac I should be able to connect to a network.

------

Acer Aspire 4720z

iATKOS 5i Leo 10.5.6 running on triple boot with Ubuntu and Win 7 beta

sound working with ALC268installer, update, fix and HDAEnabler.kext

working shutdown and restart

(almost working) wireless

working display

3-07-09::

I forgot to mention that you need IO80211family.kext v 2.1.2 installed too.Its attached.

Install my kexts, and that io80211family and you will have a working Atheros AR5006eg / AR5007EG (168cx001c) hackintosh wifi. Steps:

Wireless:

1) Install Chun Nan's latest leopard IOPMCIfamily.kext, IOPCIfamily and IONetworkingfamily.kext(s). My IOPMCIfamily, then the other two come from Marvel and Yukon that I got from the Acer Aspire One guide. They're in my attachments. Install.

2) Get kismac

3) Download and install Io80211family v 2.1.2 (see attached)

4) You should have a working fan icon (make sure you check show wireless icon in System Preferences/Network

5) Open kismac, scan under "Airport Extreme Passive Mode" (Add in Preferences/Devices)

6) Should show networks. If not, open network preferences and some wifi airport windows it will.

7) Join a network under the Airport Fan icon

8) Close kismac

9) You now have a working Atheros AR5006EG / AR5007EG* card!!! (vendor ids 168cx001c)

*Windows 7 Beta / Vista recognizes Atheros vendor id 168cx001c as AR5007EG. Whether or not it truly is, I don't know. Under Ubuntu 8.10 and iATKOS DPCI manager it says AR5006EG. And AirPort atheros gives it vendor ids of 168cx428 (even though in the Airportatheros.kext/info.plist it says "<string>168cx1c</string>". I don't know why. 3-07-09: Also noticed that the pc freezes sometimes on wifi, IDK y. Generally I'm guessing it has to do with my Intel Powermanagement tweaks, but IDK. Could be overload of the processor. Will keep you posted. This patch works with iATKOS 5i updated to leo 10.5.6. Watch out for updates they can replace these kexts which are critical to your wifi. Specefically Airport Client update 004-2009, I think. If you install that you may have to reinstall these kexts.

Sound:

1) Install either (or both, it doesn't matter) ACL268installers

2) Install HDAEnabler (or AppleHDA i forget what its in my zips) with Kexthelper

3) Whether or not you run the spanish HDApatcher doesn't matter, sound will work. Switch between headphones and internal speakers with System Preferences/Sound

4) You now have working sound!! Realtech / Intel High Definition Audio (Acer Asipre 4720z)*

*If anybody can figure out how to fix shut down and reboot let me know. Also working on power management.

Generally this info has been posted elsewhere, but my guide is different because most newbs don't know about Chun Nan's IOPCI kexts, and that they are critical to get a working PCI Atheros card since the card is dependent upon the PCI bus for communication. I found that info in a little known post, obscure, someplace and figured Id post a guide. If this helps you let me know! And if its retarded or supplementary feel free to delete! I will post this with attachments to the genius bar soon and probably Uphuck forums too in the near future. If you have any problems feel free to message me and I will try to help you. Rebranding the 168c 001c isn't a must. Besides you avoid likely bricking problems or having to buy a new wireless card.

Attachments are in my posted replies to this post. Wireless and Sound 1,2, and 3 zips and IO80211v2.1.2family.kext. Any problems let me know. I will try to help you.

Hey everybody. I have an Acer Aspire 4720z and using the guide from ergosteur:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...rt=#entry689371

and chuck nan's iopci family drivers (google him or he's on here),

I got my iATKOS 5i that I updated to Leo 10.5.6 to recognize my Atheros Airport AR5006eg 168c, 001c. Good news!!

My keyboard wasn't working in that boot though so I was unable to try Kismac to connect to any networks.

Then on reboot I got kernel panic!! Saying I had doubles of batterymanager and iopips2nub.kext.

So I'm working on it, slowly and surely, but I'm pretty positive that I will get it up and running and I will post a guide. If its not helpful or supplemental feel free to delete it. Post if this helped you!!

Chuck Nan's drivers are ESSENTIAL to a working atheros for all of you newbs!!

I also downloaded and installed the newest Airport Update for Intel 2009-01 I think, and the Mac OS X 10.5.6 update.

I'm sure that if I can get a boot where the keyboard works and I can get into kismac I should be able to connect to a network.

------

Acer Aspire 4720z

iATKOS 5i Leo 10.5.6 running on triple boot with Ubuntu and Win 7 beta

sound working with ALC268installer, update, fix and HDAEnabler.kext

working shutdown and restart

(almost working) wireless

working display

I got a good scan of networks, now I just have to connect. Also, lost my battery monitor (why?).Update to 10.5.6 and Download Chun(ck) Nan's IOPMCIfamily.kext as it is critical for the network to work, along with the network things above. Stable boot and run with '-v' bootflag. Shutdown and restart don't work anymore either.

I got a good scan of networks, now I just have to connect. Also, lost my battery monitor (why?).Update to 10.5.6 and Download Chun(ck) Nan's IOPMCIfamily.kext as it is critical for the network to work, along with the network things above. Stable boot and run with '-v' bootflag. Shutdown and restart don't work anymore either.

I'm now posting from my mac, uploading the working KEXTS for my Acer Aspire 4720z. Interesting thing is while DPCI manager says 168c and 001c Airport uses 168cx428 . Anybody know why?

I'll post a guide in the genius place. Running 10.5.6 Leo. No powermanager meter or reboot/shutdown capability. Working sound and wireless. Sound works through both headphones and internal speakers, though you have to switch manually via System Preferences. Sound scroller on the notebook also works.

I'm having trouble uploading the kexts, so they are the ALC268 audio patch, Chuck Nan's IOPCMIAFamily, the IONetworkingFamily and IOPCIFamily from the Acer guide. Install those and Kismac and you should have working wireless on a AR5006EG. My Windows 7 says its AR5007EG, but Mac and Unbuntu say AR5006EG, with vendor ids of 168c 001c. It works under Atheros Airport 168cx428

Ill probably write a 'genius' guide once I've gotten all systems go (including battery manager and shut down). Right now when I boot it appears for a few seconds and then disappears. I had it working earlier, but for some reason my system was really unstable and I was trying to get the network to work, and so I did a new clean install and its gone.

This wireless is specefic to AR5006EG/AR5007EG device id 168x001c // atheros recognizes as 168x428

Working_Wireless_and_Sound_2.zip

Working_Wireless_and_Sound_1.zip

Working_Wireless_and_Sound_3.zip

I'm now posting from my mac, uploading the working KEXTS for my Acer Aspire 4720z. Interesting thing is while DPCI manager says 168c and 001c Airport uses 168cx428 . Anybody know why?

I'll post a guide in the genius place. Running 10.5.6 Leo. No powermanager meter or reboot/shutdown capability. Working sound and wireless. Sound works through both headphones and internal speakers, though you have to switch manually via System Preferences. Sound scroller on the notebook also works.

I'm having trouble uploading the kexts, so they are the ALC268 audio patch, Chuck Nan's IOPCMIAFamily, the IONetworkingFamily and IOPCIFamily from the Acer guide. Install those and Kismac and you should have working wireless on a AR5006EG. My Windows 7 says its AR5007EG, but Mac and Unbuntu say AR5006EG, with vendor ids of 168c 001c. It works under Atheros Airport 168cx428

Ill probably write a 'genius' guide once I've gotten all systems go (including battery manager and shut down). Right now when I boot it appears for a few seconds and then disappears. I had it working earlier, but for some reason my system was really unstable and I was trying to get the network to work, and so I did a new clean install and its gone.

This wireless is specefic to AR5006EG/AR5007EG device id 168x001c // atheros recognizes as 168x428

I forgot to mention that you need IO80211family.kext v 2.1.2 installed too. Find it on Insanely mac, search IO80211family.kext 2.1.2 download.

Install my kexts, and that io80211family and you will have a working Atheros AR5006eg / AR5007EG (168cx001c) hackintosh wifi. Steps:

Wireless:

1) Install Chun Nan's latest leopard IOPMCIfamily.kext, IOPCIfamily and IONetworkingfamily.kext(s). My IOPMCIfamily, then the other two come from Marvel and Yukon that I got from the Acer Aspire One guide. They're in my attachments. Install.

2) Get kismac

4) You should have a working fan icon (make sure you check show wireless icon in System Preferences/Network

5) Open kismac, scan under "Airport Extreme Passive Mode" (Add in Preferences/Devices)

6) Should show networks. If not, open network preferences and some wifi airport windows it will.

8) Close kismac

9) You now have a working Atheros AR5006EG / AR5007EG* card!!! (vendor ids 168cx001c)

*Windows 7 Beta / Vista recognizes Atheros vendor id 168cx001c as AR5007EG. Whether or not it truly is, I don't know. Under Ubuntu 8.10 and iATKOS DPCI manager it says AR5006EG. And AirPort atheros gives it vendor ids of 168cx428 (even though in the Airportatheros.kext/info.plist it says "<string>168cx1c</string>". I don't know why. 3-07-09: Also noticed that the pc freezes sometimes on wifi, IDK y. Generally I'm guessing it has to do with my Intel Powermanagement tweaks, but IDK. Could be overload of the processor. Will keep you posted. This patch works with iATKOS 5i updated to leo 10.5.6. Watch out for updates they can replace these kexts which are critical to your wifi. Specefically Airport Client update 004-2009, I think. If you install that you may have to reinstall these kexts.

Sound:

2) Install HDAEnabler (or AppleHDA i forget what its in my zips) with Kexthelper

3) Whether or not you run the spanish HDApatcher doesn't matter, sound will work. Switch between headphones and internal speakers with System Preferences/Sound

4) You now have working sound!! Realtech / Intel High Definition Audio (Acer Asipre 4720z)*

*If anybody can figure out how to fix shut down and reboot let me know. Also working on power management.

Generally this info has been posted elsewhere, but my guide is different because most newbs don't know about Chun Nan's IOPCI kexts, and that they are critical to get a working PCI Atheros card since the card is dependent upon the PCI bus for communication. I found that info in a little known post, obscure, someplace and figured Id post a guide. If this helps you let me know! And if its retarded or supplementary feel free to delete! I will post this with attachments to the genius bar soon and probably Uphuck forums too in the near future. If you have any problems feel free to message me and I will try to help you. Rebranding the 168c 001c isn't a must. Besides you avoid likely bricking problems or having to buy a new wireless card.

IO80211Family_kext_v.2.1.2.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I forgot to mention that you need IO80211family.kext v 2.1.2 installed too. Find it on Insanely mac, search IO80211family.kext 2.1.2 download.

Wireless:

2) Get kismac

8) Close kismac

Sound:

Hey, I followed all the steps. I installed all the kexts and have the Airport fan on my menu bar, with an "x" on it. When I try scanning with kisMAC it hangs on "Loading Apple Airport Extreme Card, passive mode..." I left it for hours and nothing. I attached a screenshot to this post.

lost my battery monitor.

http://www.kexts.com/view/192-voodoo_battery.html

post-566738-1289718612_thumb.png