Inspiron 6400 Screen Sleep Fix for GMA945/950

rboone

9 posts in this topic

All of those people who suffer from their screens not coming back on after closing there lids should benefit from this trick.

I have never had luck getting my laptop to sleep but the most annoying thing is that I had to do a power cycle to get the screen back whenever I closed my lid.

I installed InsomniacX to disable sleep

Download and install from here:

http://semaja2.net/insomniaxinfo

Use the following trip to get the screen back on after closing the lid.

You will need a great command line utility that lets you change screen resolution from a terminal window. It is called newscreen and can be found here:

http://www.barbariangroup.com/posts/619-ch...d_line_on_a_mac

You will need it to implement my trick.

Once you have downloaded it place it in "/usr/local/bin"

Add execute permissions:

chmod 755 newscreen

Next create a new file in the same directory called "fixscreen"

Add the following lines:

/usr/local/bin/newscreen -h 800 -v 600

/usr/local/bin/newscreen -h 1280 -v 800

Save the file and make it executable:

chmod 755 fixscreen

Now exit your terminal window.

Open "Script Editor" in the "AppleScript" folder in your Applications

In script editor type:

do shell script "/usr/local/bin/fixscreen" user name "your user name" password "your password"

Replace "your user name" and "your password" with your information

Hit compile in the script editor and then go to your menu bar and while in script editor hit "File" and then "Save as" and name it something like "fixmyscreen" and save it to your desktop.

Take the script you just placed in your desktop and move it to your "Scripts" folder which is located in Your Hard Drive(s) name (NOT User Name) under "Devices" in Finder then inside "Library" then "Scripts"

Download Quicksilver

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22549

Install Quicksilver and run it through the setup making sure you at least install the "plug-in" for "Terminal" for now and also create a shortcut key to bring it up when you need it. you can pick whatever you want, I picked ALT + P

When quicksilver starts you can just drag the applescript file "fixmyscreen" (located in the Library/Scripts folder) into the search box. however lets not hit execute yet.

Go to settings (little wheel in upper right hand corner of search box) and choose "Custom Triggers"

In the bottom of the Custom Triggers box you will see a + sign and hit that and choose "Hot key"

Choose "fixmyscreen" in the "Select an item" box and the "Action" box should be Run and "Command" fixmyscreen(Run) and click save

Now that you have a Custom Trigger for HeadPhones go to the end of that line and set a Trigger Hot Key setup by left clicking under trigger and for reference i choose "ALT then F8" so that now you will just hold ALT and then hit "F8" to fix your screen.

Almost there now. lets go back to preferences in Quicksilver and:

- check "Start at login"

- uncheck Warn before, Enable advanced, Show icon in dock, and Show icon in menu bar. if you already have it in your dock then you will need to right click on it and "Remove From Dock" and then it will not come back again.

- i choose to check "Check for updates" as well as auto and background install

Hit ALT+F8 whenever your screen will not come back after sleeping.

Not perfect, but works !! Cheers !

(not perfect cause

-it takes time, and screen goes black then desktop then black .. etc may times

-Windows are resized

-iClip Crash (not cause of the sleep, running the script is enough to make a crash)

All of those people who suffer from their screens not coming back on after closing there lids should benefit from this trick.

I have never had luck getting my laptop to sleep but the most annoying thing is that I had to do a power cycle to get the screen back whenever I closed my lid.

interesting, will try that tonight. would be nice to have this in addition to safe sleep (which does work with pcefi9).

thank you

edit1: ok, just tried this. But whenever I enter sleep other than hibernatemode 1, I get a kp in the voodoo kernel and need to restart. which sleep mode are you using. I am assuming safe sleep (hibernatemode 3), but maybe I am missing sth. Anyway, deep sleep (or hibernate) works fine on mine, both on apple menu sleep or lid close when set to hibernatemode 1. It's not instantly coming back, but pretty fast even though it writes and reads the ram to/from the disk. I can live with that.

btw. I never had a problem just putting the display to sleep (screen turns off, but power light stays on). it returns on usb activity right away.

thanks again. maybe with a new install I will tinker with this some more. at this point no luck...

interesting, will try that tonight. would be nice to have this in addition to safe sleep (which does work with pcefi9).

thank you

edit1: ok, just tried this. But whenever I enter sleep other than hibernatemode 1, I get a kp in the voodoo kernel and need to restart. which sleep mode are you using. I am assuming safe sleep (hibernatemode 3), but maybe I am missing sth. Anyway, deep sleep (or hibernate) works fine on mine, both on apple menu sleep or lid close when set to hibernatemode 1. It's not instantly coming back, but pretty fast even though it writes and reads the ram to/from the disk. I can live with that.

btw. I never had a problem just putting the display to sleep (screen turns off, but power light stays on). it returns on usb activity right away.

thanks again. maybe with a new install I will tinker with this some more. at this point no luck...

I am a newby to this so I dont know how to make it sleep. I just got everything else working after reloading it like 15 times and trying different things. I used the iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final dvd and used the default kernal.

If I could get sleep to really work that would be great. Right now my laptop never sleeps.

I have a GMA945 video card, Dell 1390 Wireless, T5500 1.66 Dual Core with the Sigmatel 9274d installed. Everthy works but sleep.

I am a newby to this so I dont know how to make it sleep. I just got everything else working after reloading it like 15 times and trying different things. I used the iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final dvd and used the default kernal.

If I could get sleep to really work that would be great. Right now my laptop never sleeps.

I have a GMA945 video card, Dell 1390 Wireless, T5500 1.66 Dual Core with the Sigmatel 9274d installed. Everthy works but sleep.

you have a gma950 with a 945GM chipset. deep sleep or hibernate works with netkas' pcefi9 (power light off). safe sleep will kp (power light blinking).

you have a gma950 with a 945GM chipset. deep sleep or hibernate works with netkas' pcefi9 (power light off). safe sleep will kp (power light blinking).

So if I reinstall and pick 9.20 netkas sleep kernel it will allow the laptop to deep sleep when I close the lid but the screen wont come bakc after i power it back on?

So if I reinstall and pick 9.20 netkas sleep kernel it will allow the laptop to deep sleep when I close the lid but the screen wont come bakc after i power it back on?

No, you cannot use that old kernel on 10.5.6. When I write netkas pcefi9, I am talking about efi, not kernel. using hibernatemode 1 the notebook will go to deep sleep when you either go to apple menu/sleep or when you close the lid. It will write the contents of the ram to disk and shut off. when you start the notebook again, it will do a kernel wake and you get the sleepimage back to ram. You will get back to a black screen but on the gma950 you can wake it by moving mouse to a corner of screen you selected in expose to wake monitor. you are back to where you left when you closed the lid. This of course takes longer (not too long on mine) because it writes and reads sleepimage to disk.

No, you cannot use that old kernel on 10.5.6. When I write netkas pcefi9, I am talking about efi, not kernel. using hibernatemode 1 the notebook will go to deep sleep when you either go to apple menu/sleep or when you close the lid. It will write the contents of the ram to disk and shut off. when you start the notebook again, it will do a kernel wake and you get the sleepimage back to ram. You will get back to a black screen but on the gma950 you can wake it by moving mouse to a corner of screen you selected in expose to wake monitor. you are back to where you left when you closed the lid. This of course takes longer (not too long on mine) because it writes and reads sleepimage to disk.

I dont see the option to use netkas efi in the install I am using. Is there a way to add it after the install?