ASUS P5W deluxe thread for 100% Retail installs

16 posts in this topic

Hey folks !

I think its time to create a new thread for this revolutionary install method which works VERY VERY well with this motherboard.

a little explanation what this is:

this allows for a 100% retail install on your osx partition

all the kexts and modifications are on a hidden efi partition (have to use guid partition sceme)

so your leopard install on your original macintosh is the same as on your hackintosh

unfortunately this means a lot of the tricks and tools that install directly on your osx install are obsolete

with the new method they should only change things on the efi partition and not touch your install (which they will in the future i am sure)

i made a little guide on how to install everything with the needed files:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153753

when discussing installs on this motherboard please always keep in mind that the osx install should be left UNTOUCHED

any changes and modifications should be made on the efi partition only

please also update the wiki

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...tle=Asus_p5w_dh

what bios settings do you use ?

the suggested settings for this mother board vary massively

- aliab says he only changes ahci and execute disable function http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1048477

and it does work

others go and change a lot of different things

would be great to find out which setting helps and which is just cosmetics

VARIOUS BIOS SETTINGS:

one from the forum claiming a perfect install:

-Go to IDE configuration and change the ide/sata mode to AHCI

-Enable Execute Disable function”

-Turn off Speedstep Settings (unless you plan to use a hacked speedstep kernel)

-Change the Jmicron Controller to AHCI (only if you are using Jmicron, otherwise, disable it)

-MicroCode Update: Enabled

-Max CPUID Limite: Enabled

-ACPI2 support : yes

-ACPI APIC: Enabled

-Suspend mode: S3

another one from the forum (123 boot) IN MAIN MENU:

-IDE in AHCI mode, ALPE and ASP Disabled

MENU ADVANCED, CPU CONFIGURATION

-MODIFY RATIO SUPPORT [DISABLED]

-MICROCODE UPDATION [ENABLED]

-MAX CPU VALUE LIMIT [ENABLED]

-EXECUTE DISABLED FUNCTION [ENABLED]

-ENHANCED C1 CONTROL [AUTO]

-VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLY [ENABLED]

-INTEL SPEEDSTEP TECHNOLOGY [DISABLED]

MENU ADVANCED, CHIPSET MENU

-MEMORY REMAP FUTURE [ENABLED]

MENU POWER-SUSPEND MODE [s3 ONLY]

-RESPOST VIDEO ON S3 RESUME [YES]

-ACPI 2.0 SUPPORT [YES]

-ACPI APIC SUPPORT [YES]

MENU POWER, APM CONFIGURATION

Set the ps2 keyboard to awake from sleep with your pref button like space bar, CTRL esc etc... make your choice i used SPACE BAR

-Power on by ps2 mouse [ENABLED]

http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...cking-required/

the one linked (misses 3pix - already emailed him 2 weeks ago) has a few things different

enabled alpe and asp in ide settings

disabled firewire and lan for some reason

enabled plug and play bios

disabled max cpu value limit

and only god knows what these other pictures say that are not accessible anymore

would be interesting to find out what really to change and what not in the bios settings

I almost got a 100% Retail Install of OS X 10.5.6. The only thing that I use is voodoo kernel 9.6.0 which is placed in root of my OS X Install.

I don't get how do place the kernel on my EFI partition and change my boot.plist so that it boots my OS X with that kernel. In boot.plist, do I have to add the boot uuid of my EFI partition or my OS X Install? Because If I do so, OS X won't even start and says "Can't find kernel".

Solved most of my problem with this one - except now I have the audio kexts installed to enable the onboard sound, it's working but there's a horrible crackling noise when ever any sound is actually playing, such as an MP3 or even a system alert boing or something!

It keeps crackling for a couple of seconds after the sound has stopped as well. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anyone got any ideas for this one? The sound quality is appalling :unsure:

it doesn't do this is Vista by the way so i don't think it's a grounding issue or anything...

I used the aliab kexts splintah linked to which contain these kexts for audio:

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

Is there anything I can do to improve this?

I'm trying to get 1080p video working properly on my system now (it's fine on Vista) but it's way too choppy for some reason on the OSX install.

I notice my RAM speed is showing up as 0 mhz in system profiler. I've read around for this and it's suggested I install SMBIOS kext to stop this.

In the aliab mkext splintah linked to above, which I'm using, I have SMBIOSResolver.kext. Is this the same thing, and is it supposed to fix the 0 mhz thing?

Cheers :(

Hi, Ok. I'm happy but my audio still bad and Firewire ports not recognized annnd memory "working" at 0hz (lol no prob. i think)

I had fixed firewire before by deleting appleHPET but don't want do to that on my retail.

I have already added the 10.5.5 hpet to the guid boot but it didn't work.

One sugestion: as this board doesn't have bluetooth and i've got a generic USB bluetooth here... it stopped working on 10.5.6 so i had to Install IOBluetoothFamily.kext IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext found somewhere on insanely mac... and now it works.

have tried and tried but can't install the audio, firewire and bluetooth kexts via EFI... i gave up trying now and replaced the kext old fashion way. no problem... the thing is: my mac is faster with this efi method than it was before! i'm really happy with this and i know that very soon everithing will fit together. = ) just waiting to see.. cus i dunno nothing to help.. i may test things if someone needs ok?!

PS: no firewire even removing hpet etc... when i need it i'll find a way to fix it again... but if you know something about it PLEEEEEASE tell me = )

Foud this thread finally and its helpful only thing is i am able to boot now up to the install but no mouse or keyboard is working...

CPU: Intel Core 2 E6600

RAM: G.Skill: 8 Gigs (4x2gb) 5-5-5-15

Video: MSI 512mb OC 9800 GT

Hard Drive: Seagate 750 GB 7200.10 (pretty sure it the .10 but it is the original when the 750 was the biggest)

Mouse: Logitech G5 (one side button not the 2 side button mouse)

Keyboard: Logitech G15 Original

many thx...

I was amazed at how easy this was to do with the right research. However, I still can't get audio working via the EFI method either. Any help or tips would be great!

Hi, have you checked in the control panel if sound output is in "built in speaker"? does it shows to you?

Hey mouse keyboard pal.. it happend to me once as i was using another method! doing this way i found no troubles...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have this working with a 10.5.6 retail DVD. But as many there are some problems:

- 2 USB ports don't work (should be fixable with AppleHPET.kext removal)

- FireWire doesn't work (should be fixable with AppleHPET.kext removal)

- Slow mouse pointer in iTunes (deleting another kext shoudl fix this)

But I would like to have my retail system untouched as much as possible. So no deleting kext files to have save updating.

Any tips on which kexts to use? Disablers or other methods (DSDT patch?)?