WORKING Solution for Marvell Yukon 2 88E8040 Fast Ethernet!

adamsalac

158 posts in this topic

Hi,

finally I found a solution for the Marvell Yukon 2 88E8040 Fast Ethernet Device.

The key is Leopard 10.5.7 9J22. In this build there's an updated version of the IONetworkingFamily.kext exactly like in Snow Leopard 10A261 , but the Snow Leopard kernel extension DOESN'T work in Leopard.

And yesterday,I installed Leopard 10.5.7 9J22 and tada... my Ethernet port works.

Please report if the 9J22 kext works in older stable releases and if all dependencies are covered.

If not please tell me and I'll add the missing kernel extension(s).

Here's the proof:

71039462.th.png

Sorry,the screenshot is in German , even though I'm not German,but it's the language I speak the best.

Hope it works. The kernel extension is attached here. AppleYukon2.zip

UPDATE: Here's a new modified kext including 88E8040T support and corrected Info.plist device name AppleYukon2new.zip

UPDATE 2:The Marvell Yukon 2 88E8040 is working perfectly (excl. MAC address) in 10.5.7 9J61.

The 88E8040T doesn't work OOTB,but works with using the Info.plist from my AppleYukon2.kext

(the updated one).

For a correct MAC address follow Slice instructions :

MAC address fix - thx to Slice

I'm very happy about any feedback.

Greetings from Czech Republic,

Adam

I can report success on my inspiron 1525 running 10.5.6 i am typing this post from my inspiron whilst connected via ethernet. :)

thanks adam ;)

E2A done a couple of reboots - still seems to be working fine though it does seem to boot noticeably slower. anyone else's thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Well strange...

On my native install of 10.5.7 9J22 it runs perfectly without any slowdown.

What does it show regarding this kext in verbose mode?

Any errors or retries of something?

Adam

Actually, lol i done a few more reboots (shutdown not working correctly) and it seems to have settled down.

maybe it was just my imagination........

Like to hear what anyone else has got to say.

anyway Adam what is this 10.5.7 9J22 that you speak of? a prerelease of the same?

ah after googling i see it's a beta release ;)

unfortunately it didnt work for me on 10.5.6 ...

maybe it was because i had slices beta driver installed , i will investigate that later, hopefully i will get it to work as well, would be great ;)

Edit:

Okay, so i looked through the info.plist and it seems that my device id is not in there , so i will try to edit the plist.

Hi YannickD,

could you post your device ID?

I could edit the plist and upload a modified kernel extension.

EDIT: not sure if it will work for you , as according to Slice the 88E8040 is b8 chip and 88E8040T is b9.

but anyway,try it,who knows? :)

Adam

Hi YannickD,

could you post your device ID?

I could edit the plist and upload a modified kernel extension.

EDIT: not sure if it will work for yu , as according to Slice the 88E8040 is b8 chip and 88E8040T is b9.

but anyway,try it,who knows? :)

Adam

Hi Adam,

at first, THANKS A LOT for that finding. Really, I was up to go to the Apple shop and buy the USB Ethernet dongle. However, for me the solution did not work from the scratch.

The release is XxX 10.5.6, 88E8040, and the Device ID is 4354.

To be honest, I did not check the plist, I'm going to that right away.

If it'll not work, I still have some other 10.5.6 and 10.5.5 to test. Sleepless night... Again :P But at least there's a hope! :)

Cheers!

A thanks for the effort , i was going to do it myself but if you want to do it , i wont complain :)

my device id is 4355 ... so i was thinking about editing the 80E804Z entry since its closest (4354 i think).

@danubletta

yours is in the plist and should work normally!

Nice find adamsalac! I was hoping 10.5.7 might have support. Working perfectly here on an XPS M1530 apart from the issue I noted before about the MAC address not being detected.

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::211:22ff:fe33:4455%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6 
inet 134.225.163.155 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 134.225.163.255
ether 00:11:22:33:44:55 
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> none

As you can see it assigns it a generic one. This of course is only a problem if two or more network cards end up on the same network with the same MAC address. It could happen so I'm going to look into a fix.

EDIT: A temporary fix should you encounter problems is to 'spoof' the MAC address by using ifconfig in Terminal

sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:00:00:00:00:00

yay , mine is working as well!

i edited the info.plist and inserted my device id so now it shows up and is fully working! I didnt check the generic mac adress thing , i will look at it now! maybe i will post a screenshot later, for now i have uploaded the modified kext, which should only be used if you have a

88E8040T , all other models might or might not work with this!

Use at your own risk!

EDIT: I looked the mac adress up in system profiler and it says: "00:1e:68:6e:d1:08" ... so i think its not generic , right?

Another Edit: heres my screenshot 14xmhlj.jpg

Marvell_88E8040T.zip

yay , mine is working as well!

i edited the info.plist and inserted my device id so now it shows up and is fully working!

didnt check the generic mac adress thing , i will look at it now! maybe i will post a screenshot later , for now i have uploaded the modified kext, which should only be used if you have a 

88E8040T , all other models might or might not work with this!

Use at your own risk!

EDIT: I looked the mac adress up in system profiler and it says: "00:1e:68:6e:d1:08" ... so i think its not generic , right?

No that's not generic. Seems to work with your card. I noticed booting in verbose this message:

AppleYukon2 - RomlessInit - getProperty failed

Looks like on the 88E8040 it can't read the ROM to get the MAC address. I don't know how to go about fixing that, maybe Slice can take a look.

Thank you adamsalac for the find!

The driver don't work for me but I will to patch it. Now I have

Mar 4 09:47:11 sergey kernel[0]: AppleYukon2 - RomlessInit - getProperty failed

Mar 4 09:47:15: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Mar 4 09:47:15 sergey kernel[0]: AppleYukon2: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E804Z Singleport Copper SA

Mar 4 09:47:15 sergey kernel[0]: AppleYukon2: RxRingSize 256, TxRingSize 256, RX_MAX_LE 256, TX_MAX_LE 768, ST_MAX_LE 1024

Mar 4 09:47:15 sergey kernel[0]: yukon: Ethernet address 00:11:22:33:44:55

And no link.

Why Gigabit? It is only Fast Ethernet!

The ethernet address is wrong but my driver (Marvell.kext) has no problem with getting it. I will try to apply my solution to the binary file.

Development must continue! :whistle:

Dell 1525

Marvell 88E8040 devID=4354

MacOSX 10.5.6

Thank you adamsalac for the find!

The driver don't work for me but I will to patch it. Now I have

And no link.

Why Gigabit? It is only Fast Ethernet!

The ethernet address is wrong but my driver (Marvell.kext) has no problem with getting it. I will try to apply my solution to the binary file.

Development must continue! :(

Dell 1525

Marvell 88E8040 devID=4354

MacOSX 10.5.6

When you look at the supported modes though it dodesn't show gigabit, it's just cosmetic, you could change the device name in the Info.plist if you wish though.

I've uploaded a edited version of AppleYukon2.kext.

AppleYukon2new.zip

It includes YannickD's Device ID for the 88E08040T (in this case even the MAC adress is recognized correctly).

I've also changed the device name from Yukon Gigabit 88E804Z Singleport .... to Yukon Fast 88E8040 Singleport...

(just cosmetical edit).

Still working around with all the kext (also with Slice's kernel extensions).

The combination of Marvell.kext and 9J22 AppleYukon2.kext causes a kernel panic.

Will try some more modifying.Come on,we're very near!

Slice: It would great if you could help finding a solution for our MAC adress problem as I appreciate your work and your driver recognizes the MAC adress perfectly as you already mentioned and I know that you're a good developer.

on compaq mini 700, with PCIID: ab11:5443 aka Yukon-88E8040 got following error:

AppleYukon2: 00000000,00000000 sk98osx_dnet - AllocIOInterruptHandler - Failed to allocate MSI interrupt

AppleYukon2: RxRingSize 256, TxRingSize 256, RX_MAX_LE 256, TX_MAX_LE 768, ST_MAX_LE 1024

any ideas, why MSI isn't allocated?