Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 Install Guide using MSI 945P NEO3

maxpersg

36 posts in this topic

DUAL BOOT WINDOWS XP and OSX 10.5.6

Hardware Information

Motherboard: MSI 945P NEO3 (Intel 945 chipset/ ICH7/ Realtek 850 Sound/ Realtek LAN)

CPU: Intel P4 Prescott 524 3.06GHZ 1M Cache

RAM: 1 x 2GB PC5400 (667MHZ) KINGSTON

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 7300GT 256MB

HDD: 80GB SATA II SEAGATE

CD DRIVE: 3M DVD ROM

Installation Procedure

Materials Required:

Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel DVD (~3GB+) from bit-torrent

Gparted Live 0.4.1-2.iso (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779)

WIN XP/VISTA CD

Chaintool http://riccardo.raneri.it/blog/eng/wp-cont.../08/chain0.rar)

Pre-installation

1. Install Win XP

2. Burn Kalyway 10.5.2 into DVD and Gpart into CD using a burning software e.g NERO

3. Boot with Gpart Live to create a FAT32 partition for OSX. (Resize existing if no “un-partitionable” space)

Installing 10.5.2 Lepoard

(followed from http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ualBoot_10.5.2)

1. Install Using Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel DVD, boot with –v (~12mins)

2. Select Language and click next. Do not click next again.

3. Go to utilities -> Disk Utility -> Click on newly created drive -> erase to HFS+ (Journaled) and name it OSX ->

Quit disk utility

4. Click Next, accept agreement and next to select OSX as installation destination and click next.

5. Click on customize ->under graphics -> Tick NVinject 256 -> click ok to continue (graphics is based on my configuration, select the right one for your’s)

6. Click next and disk verification can occur (skip if the cd is used more than once and confirmed to be working) takes approximately 25mins

7. Right click on windows partition -> manage flags -> tick boot

8. Restart

9. Boot into windows XP

10. Unhide hidden files and show hidden OS files under folder options.

11. Under C:/ -> right click on boot.ini -> uncheck “read only” attribute -> click ok -> open the file

12. Insert this line w/o quotes “C:\chain0="OSX“

13. Reboot and select OSX and OSX starts loading. =)

Upgrading to 10.5.3

Materials required:

Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update (available in bit-torrent)

1. Install Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo update but do not restart

2. Install Kalyway Kernel and than restart

3. During booting up with OSX, boot with update –v

4. System may reboot and boot again into OSX

5. TATA

6. But reboot 1 more time to confirm its working

Upgrading to 10.5.4

Files required: OSX 10.5.4 update from apple.com (Do not download the combo update)

1. Update without any worries

2. Reboot with update –v

3. If subsequent reboot doesn’t work reboot with “update” without the –v . Mine requires booting with “update” everytime

4. TATA

Upgrading to 10.5.5

Files Required: 10.5.5 update from apple.com (not combo)

1. Before launching update, go into terminal (utilities -> terminal)

2. Type in “sudo –s”

3. Next “while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done”

4. Launch update, as usual update but don’t restart

5. When done go back to terminal, press “ctrl +c” to end script

6. Than safely restart and boot with “update”

7. TATA

Upgrading to 10.5.6

Files required:

disabler.kext & apple decrypt.kext (search in insanelymac.com)

OSX86TOOl Utility (http://######.com/osx86tools/)

OSX 10.5.6 update (search in apple)

1. Install OSX86tool Utility and launch it

2. Use that to install the two .kext files by clicking “install .kext files”

3. Reboot, again with “update”

4. Before launching update, go into terminal (utilities -> terminal)

5. Type in “sudo –s”

6. Next “while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done”

7. Launch update, as usual update but don’t restart

8. in terminal press “CTRL + C” to end script

9. next type “nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1”

10. Replace the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext (at the last few lines in any)

11. Exit editor and save

12. Reboot with update –v

13. TATA

14. Using OSX86 tools, download and install your drivers to take full advantage of them. Make sure graphics is run

in “hardware accelerated” instead of software. Check by clicking apple logo at top left corner -> about this mac -> more info -> graphics

Note:

10.5.6 works for me, but I do not have USB mass storage device support. I need to reboot with my USB storage inside before I can get files from my thumbdrive.

Upgrading directly from 10.5.2 doesn’t work for me too, I need to follow the above steps to get it working. And I re-installed 10.5.2 at least 8-10 times before I could get to 10.5.6.

The edit panel in ilife'08 works only when the correct graphic kext is installed, if not a blank grey or black area will only be seen.

CHEERS!

update with this guide workability.

Kalyway Combo Update (+kernal) - Not Sure if i am allowed to post torrent links here but search in google Mac_OS_X_Leopard_10.5.3_Kalyway_Combo_Update First link at the top

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.4 UPDATE - http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1054update.html

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5 UPDATE - http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1055update.html

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.6 UPDATE - http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1056update.html

There you go :)

Enjoy !!^^

Btw i am up to 10.5.4 Worked so far thanks :D

edit: Got to 10.5.6 with this guide works perfectly but when i got to 10.5.6 I lost QE/CI on my ati x1600 PRO 256mb any ideas?

Never mind!!

I just ignored it and I did pretty good!

I'm now writing from os x and I'm currently at version 10.5.5 and everything works.

Didn't have any problems with USB Wireless LAN, Display, USB Slots or anything!

I just wanted to tell people that things went good and I didn't have any problems.

I Installed the Vanilla Kernel in the 10.5.3 update step and never used "-v" before update.

I had trouble with it in the beginning so I just skipped it and only used "update"

Don't know when I'll go up to 5.6.. I'm little bit scared of it, people seem to have troubles with

it so I'm just going to wait for kalyway to update... so it's safe.

Also, I'm only in this to test out Xcode and iPhone SDK and you only need 5.5 for the program

to work. If I get interested I might just buy a mac or at least a copy of OS X!

Thanks for everything, over and out!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey.. I'm about to install the combo update, but before I start I would like to see if anyone knew what TATA is??

It's in every section but I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to do or what it means!!

thanks

regards,

Lol, It just means "DaDa" or "Hey Presto" or something like that!

DO NOT use the combo update, just the Deltas from apple if you are trying this on your PC. If mac - use the combo

Anyway, I managed to get this working perfectly, no problems at all!

I have kalyway 10.5.4 and i want to upgrade but when i do the “while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done”

It says no kext as this name exists and i looked and its alot of folders not just one kext! :)

I dont know what to do at this point!

I have kalyway 10.5.4 and i want to upgrade but when i do the “while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done”

It says no kext as this name exists and i looked and its alot of folders not just one kext! :)

I dont know what to do at this point!

Did you remember to type "Sudo -s" (without quotes) before running that command?

you will not find AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement in any folder before running 10.5.5 update yet. What this command does it it removes the kext as soon as it appears, which will save your CPU from frying.

Hi there !

First of all many thanks for the tutorial! Really helpful for people who has no idea about unix as myself.

I was looking forward to see how the 10.5.x could be updated to 10.5.6 as my iPCOSX86 10.5.6 install DVD keeps freezing on boot and I havend find out why.

I tried the update tutorial yesterday but I found a funny thing at the very end, when updating to 10.5.6 and it was I wasn't able to find the DontSteal...kext line. I swear i try it very hard and it was not there! So I couldn't replace it and the computer crashed after restar.

Any idea???

thanks in advance !

• 1 month later...

Never mind, lol I got it thanks for the guide

-----edit-----

I got up to 10.5.4 with everything running smoothly but once I did 10.5.5, the grey apple screen loaded, then froze. Nothing worked so I started over. I think I may leave it at 10.5.3 because I was having problems restarting on 10.5.4

But overall, guide works great. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Does the sound work on your machine with the MSI 945p neo3?

I got a fresh install of 10.5.6, updated to 10.5.7 but I've got no sound and I'm not finding anything that works. It didn't work at 10.5.6 either. I've tried serveral ac'97 kexts and other stuff.

Could you tell me how you got it to work? Maybe if you followed a guide, or if it worked out of the box, could you upload your kexts perhaps?

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this update method on my Kalyway 10.5.2 and after installing the Kalyway combo update for 10.5.3 , followed the instructions exactly, but now when i boot up i get stuck on the blue screen with no login window :unsure: .. is there a work around this or do i have to format and re-install?

I tried this update method on my Kalyway 10.5.2 and after installing the Kalyway combo update for 10.5.3 , followed the instructions exactly, but now when i boot up i get stuck on the blue screen with no login window :( .. is there a work around this or do i have to format and re-install?

Intel GMA950?

There are two ways to fix it.

Way 1:

Boot with -s flag and then delete AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.

It will help you to boot in 1024x768. Then search forum for patched AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.

Way 2:

It's the same like way no.1 - copy your AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext to any folder(/Backup_Video_Drivers, for example), then search for the Intel GMA950 Natit kext and install it. Then restore your AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.

ok, so sorry for sounding dumb, but how do i delete AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext by booting with -s flag? i searched a bit to find out how but no luck.. am i suppose to login in with -s or wat do i do? (like the exact stuff i need to type - cos im hopeless with this stuff) or if u could give me a link on where to find out how to use the boot commands would be better then i can jus read and find out how.. if u dnt mind pls... thx!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Does the sound work on your machine with the MSI 945p neo3?

I got a fresh install of 10.5.6, updated to 10.5.7 but I've got no sound and I'm not finding anything that works. It didn't work at 10.5.6 either. I've tried serveral ac'97 kexts and other stuff.

Could you tell me how you got it to work? Maybe if you followed a guide, or if it worked out of the box, could you upload your kexts perhaps?

Thx

Hi, the sound will not work using the stock kext. You need to tweak the appleAC97 kext. I have the appleAC97 kext working. You need to type in this at the terminal, ioreg|grep pci and see the 2nd line ID. Go to the appleAC97 kext and add in the ID. Search around in this forum, someone had already posted the solution.... cheers....

• 3 weeks later...
Never mind, lol I got it thanks for the guide

-----edit-----

I got up to 10.5.4 with everything running smoothly but once I did 10.5.5, the grey apple screen loaded, then froze. Nothing worked so I started over. I think I may leave it at 10.5.3 because I was having problems restarting on 10.5.4

But overall, guide works great. Thanks

Exactly the same problem on my Lenovo T61. Did you find a way to get past this?