Backup/restore a copy of a good install

own

5 posts in this topic

I have been trying to update kalyway to 10.5.3 several times, but with little (i.e. no) success.

It always ends up in a black screen for some reason. And as a result I need to reinstall the whole thing. I have experimented with several backup/restores of the successful 10.5.2 install but with no success either.

I have an external USB HD with two partitions, both formatted for Mac. The first I use for the normal install, the second for backup

I have tried using Disk Utility (started (from the kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD') to

a. Create an Image

b. "Restore" the startup disk, and after failed upgrade restore the backup

Both experiments seemed to be OK, but when I try to boot from the restored I get the following error:

boot0: MBR

boot0: error

Is there a way to fix this, or should I do the backup and restore differently?

I also have the problem of updating to 10.5.3 but will try to do the update without selecting any kernel next, hope that helps.

After you make your restore ,either from an imagen or timemachine ,boot again with you DVD ,open a terminal in the window menu and write all this:

1- diskutils list ---> look for your disk numbers may be disk0 ,disk1 ,etc ,usually is the one that have GUID partition if you use it ,and you should.

2- cd /usr/standalone/i386

3- umount /Volumes/yourMounteddiskwithOSrestore

4- fdisk -e /dev/diskX --> where X is your disk number

update

f 2 ---> 2 is the slide where you have instaled you OS diskXsY ,example disk0s2 ,usualy s1 is the EFI partition if you have formate your disk with GUID

w ---> write the mbr

q ---> quit

5- dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1 ---> where X is your disk and Y the slide where you have instaled your OS,we use rdisk and not disk cause the disk is umounted

6- dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1 -->where X again is your disk OS ;)

7- startupfiletool -v /dev/diskXsY ./boot_v9 --> boot_v9 may have other name just look for it ,may be bootefi_v9

8 -bless -device /dev/diskXsY -setBoot -verbose

if one of the dd comands give you error ,just unmount the driver like in step 3

After you make your restore ,either from an imagen or timemachine ,boot again with you DVD ,open a terminal in the window menu and write all this:

1- diskutils list ---> look for your disk numbers may be disk0 ,disk1 ,etc ,usually is the one that have GUID partition if you use it ,and you should.

2- cd /usr/standalone/i386

3- umount /Volumes/yourMounteddiskwithOSrestore

4- fdisk -e /dev/diskX --> where X is your disk number

update

f 2 ---> 2 is the slide where you have instaled you OS diskXsY ,example disk0s2 ,usualy s1 is the EFI partition if you have formate your disk with GUID

w ---> write the mbr

q ---> quit

5- dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1 ---> where X is your disk and Y the slide where you have instaled your OS,we use rdisk and not disk cause the disk is umounted

6- dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1 -->where X again is your disk OS ;)

7- startupfiletool -v /dev/diskXsY ./boot_v9 --> boot_v9 may have other name just look for it ,may be bootefi_v9

8 -bless -device /dev/diskXsY -setBoot -verbose

if one of the dd comands give you error ,just unmount the driver like in step 3

Wow thank you! Will try it the next time I screw up a software update (Gotta print this out, this is not something to memorize...).

I do not seem to get to 10.5.3 while the initial with Kalyway 10.5.2 went so smoothly, including immediate succes with PowerMgt, TimeMachine and Wireless. If you have any tips on this, it would be appreciated.